PDA

View Full Version : Flippy Mock 7.0

flippy
04-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Here comes the final mock #7. In honor of Big #7 and bringing home #7 this season. These are the picks that will help get us to the promised land. In addition, I'll bring you some target UDFAs who can be just as important as the draft picks themselves.

The Draft

1. Earl Thomas - DB - Texas - If he's there, this pick seems so obvious given what Tomlin likes. Troy makes our defense, Troy Jr would make it that much better.

2. Maurkice Pouncey - C - Florida - We need to solidify the center of the line and this is one of the best C prospects to come along in years. Maybe next year we can draft his twin brother.

3. Linval Joseph - NT - East Carolina - Had to make at least one pick from my current locale. Kid looks like a big strong anchor for the DLine in time. Also seems to have the size where he could be a 3-4DE. Positional flexibility? Mike Tomlin should be in love.

4. Dorin Dickerson - Pitt - TE/WR/FB/? - Gotta add a local kid from my hometown in my draft so I'll go with double D this time. Seems like a Steeler jack of all trades a la Ward, Randle El, etc. Not the fastest, or the biggest, or the strongest, but does everything really well. You gotta be smart to be so flexible. Heck, maybe he could replace Farrior eventually - he did even have a stint at LB for Pitt.

5. Nolan Carroll - DB - Maryland - Big athletic corner in the mold of a Steeler that should have gone much higher if he didn't break his leg last season.

5. Deji Karim - RB - Southern Illinois - As talented a runner as you'll find in this draft. He's only going low because of being from a small school. Brandon Jacobs and other NFL calibre RBs went to this same small school. Should make a great compliment to Mendy and we have the luxury to bring him along slowly because of Moore.

5. Clifton Geathers - DE - South Carolina - This is a monster of a man. He's got NFL blood lines and we can give him time to develop behind the Deisel. God just doesn't make guys this big. QBs will not throw his way for fear of the ball being swatted down at the LOS.

6. Seyi Ajirotutu - WR - Fresno State - A big fast WR that could be our Vincent Jackson.

7. Kevin Matthew - C - Texas A&M - Son of a former NFL great Clay Matthews. Has the blood line to produce. I say take a flier on him in the 7th. Who knows maybe he's a future C and Pouncey a future G or vice versa. By the 7th round it's a real crapshoot anyway. So why not go with guys that were bred to play in the NFL?

7. Andrew Tyshovnytsky - T - Fordham - Big athletic tackle prospect . He's got great/size/speed and potential. Plus I would have felt bad not drafting a tackle with the uncertainty around Colon's contract.

The UDFAs

1. Jarvis Geathers - OLB - Central Florida
2. Dexter Davis - OLB - Arizona State
3. Toney Baker - RB - NCState
4. Shawnbrey McNeal - RB - SMU
5. Bobby McClintock - FB - Portland State
6. Rusty Smith - QB - Florida Atlantic
7.Vincent Rey - ILB - Duke
8. Clinton Snyder - ILB - Stanford
9. Brandon Brinkley - CB - Houston
10. Marcus Brown - CB - Akransas State
11. Hunter Lawrence - K - Texas
12. Oderick Turner - WR - Pitt

Chadman
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Nice.

Covers a lot of holes except for LB. If it fell that way, Chadman would be ok with that.

Oviedo
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Not a bad effort and would not complain if it played out that way.

Most importantly it puts Pouncey in Round 2 where he belongs.

I'm intrigued by Dickerson. I think he could be the Hine Ward of the future

Chadman
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Anyone wonder why the Steelers have had...3 TE's in so far?

Gronkowski is rated a mid-2nd...is there something going on we are not aware of??

pfelix73
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Linval Joseph- Go Pirates!

3rd round would be a steal for him too. IMO

:tt1

SteelerNation1
04-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Gronkowski is rated a mid-2nd...is there something going on we are not aware of??
Yep...Matt Spaeth sucks! :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
that is truly a well thought out mock draft that merits praise and compliments.

ramblinjim
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
This is indeed an excellent mock draft.

flippy
04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice.

Covers a lot of holes except for LB. If it fell that way, Chadman would be ok with that.

Usually some position gets overlooked in the draft. I tried to add 4 UDFA LBs to make up for it.

I think we could be ok with our starters and Foote, Fox, and Frazier as the backups for this season, and if we hit on just one of the UDFAs, we'd be in great shape.

flippy
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Spaeth can't block and Miller doesn't get off the LOS as quickly as some of the premiere pass catching TEs in the league.

It's a position we can upgrade.

Miller's good all around, but after that, it's not a position of strength, but then again, do you want to take Wallace off the field for a 2nd TE/FB?

If that TE is Tony Gonzales, sure. But not for Matt Spaeth.

flippy
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Not a bad effort and would not complain if it played out that way.

Most importantly it puts Pouncey in Round 2 where he belongs.

I'm intrigued by Dickerson. I think he could be the Hine Ward of the future

Dickerson is a lot bigger than Ward. I could see him in a lot of potential roles. He's really versatile.

I'm not even 100% sure what position he wants to play.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 10:42 AM
i'd rather draft Bynam later and have a good blocking 2nd TE

Shawn
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
That was truly a moronic mock deserving of laughter and distain. Sorry, thought I would balance out the general positivity. :D I have to agree...looks good. Only problem...Pouncey won't make it out of the first and you drafted two Centers. Other than that I can't argue with the talent.

BigRob
04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
In a perfect world I would love your mock, but it is not very realistic.

1. Earl Thomas will be gone in the early teens, but this is still semi-realistic

2. Maurkice Pouncey will never make it to our pick in the second round and I believe to be a guaranteed 1st round pick. He is as good as Alex Mack and will go at our pick in the first at the earliest and pick 32 at the latest.

3. Linval Joseph is a 2nd round pick. His buzz is picking up steam and there are too many 3-4 teams looking for DL.

4. Dorin Dickerson will go in the 3rd round. He will not last until our pick in the 4th.

It was a great effort at the mock though, I like the picks, just think most of them are a round too late.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
We'd have to trade back into the first round to get Pouncey.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM

If we got Earl Thomas at #18, then used our 2nd and 3rd rounder to trade up for Pouncey, I would be quite happy with that early haul. Both seem to have the positional flexibility (safety/corner and center/guard, respectively) that Tomlin covets. And we'd still have 7 picks left on day three!

Dee Dub
04-09-2010, 01:52 PM
2. Maurkice Pouncey - C - Florida - We need to solidify the center of the line and this is one of the best C prospects to come along in years. Maybe next year we can draft his twin brother.

4. Dorin Dickerson - Pitt - TE/WR/FB/? - Gotta add a local kid from my hometown in my draft so I'll go with double D this time. Seems like a Steeler jack of all trades a la Ward, Randle El, etc. Not the fastest, or the biggest, or the strongest, but does everything really well. You gotta be smart to be so flexible. Heck, maybe he could replace Farrior eventually - he did even have a stint at LB for Pitt.

5. Nolan Carroll - DB - Maryland - Big athletic corner in the mold of a Steeler that should have gone much higher if he didn't break his leg last season.

"A" for effort no doubt but these are guys are not going where you have them. Pouncey may fall to second round but no where near pick 52. And with what Dickerson did at the combine he is one of the fastest risers on any board. I'd be surprised if he lasted to the end of round two/early round three. Same can be said of Carroll. He too is a big time riser and he wont last to round 4 let alone round 5.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

If we got Earl Thomas at #18, then used our 2nd and 3rd rounder to trade up for Pouncey, I would be quite happy with that early haul. Both seem to have the positional flexibility (safety/corner and center/guard, respectively) that Tomlin covets. And we'd still have 7 picks left on day three!

i'm right with you .

even wilson for thomas if he's gone then pouncey in a trade up

frankthetank1
04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
i love dickerson but he isnt a blocking TE. i guess he could be used like shannon sharpe and play more like a wr. he has amazing speed for his size and great hands. i hope thomas is still there at #18 but i doubt he will be.