PDA

View Full Version : Holmes wants out of Pittsburgh

PSU_dropout43
04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/es ... id=3507954 (http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/blog?id=3507954)

It sounds like this will be the final year for wide receiver Santonio Holmes in Pittsburgh. I'm told Holmes doesn't believe the Steelers will pay him what he believes he's worth when it comes time to negotiating a contract extension (his current deal expires after the 2010 season) and that Holmes would rather play in a big market after this season. Couple this with what our Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette of the Post Gazette has said, that the organization is "furious" about Santonio's language and brashness on his Twitter account (twitter.com/santonio10), and it adds up to a near-future parting of the ways between the Black and Gold and their former 1st round pick (2006) and former Super Bowl MVP. This knowledge of Holmes' impending departure could explain the free agent signings of Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle this offseason by the team, as well as a renewed interest in wide receiver talent in the 2010 draft: on Wednesday the Steelers hosted two of the top draft prospects at their South Side facility as Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant and Notre Dame's Golden Tate visited with Head Coach Mike Tomlin and his staff. On a related note, I'm also hearing Hines Ward does plan on playing two more seasons in the league provided he stays healthy. That would set the Ward retirement track for following the 2011 season.

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Casey Hampton's and Ryan Clark's departures were impending too because we weren't going to resign them

I Stupidio wants to go Plaxico on us let it be. We replaced Plaxico and can replace Stupidio. Should be a nice Comp Pick.

papillon
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I wonder what a contract for Santonio would look like? Or, what he believes he's worth?

Pappy

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

WoodleyofTroy
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Slap the Franchis Tag on him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2010, 03:08 PM

The franchise tag value for a WR this season was over $9.5 million. I don't expect it to go down next year.

SteelerNation1
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM

The franchise tag value for a WR this season was over $9.5 million. I don't expect it to go down next year.
Is there any way 2011 can be uncapped? I'm assuming no, because if there is no CBA, there won't be any football correct?

As far as Tone goes, if you can get a 2nd, you might have to pull the trigger. I think it would be silly to trade him for less, because we'll more than likely receive a 3rd round comp pick. Didn't the Bengals get one for TJ? I would imagine Tone is worth more $ than TJ on the open market.

Dee Dub
04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

The Steelers are not going to sign Holmes for two reasons. What he wants...and how he has represented the team off the field.

Not going to happen.

Where's that would you trade Santonio for the 69th pick thread again??? :HeadBanger

Jom112
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Is there any way 2011 can be uncapped? I'm assuming no, because if there is no CBA, there won't be any football correct?

As far as Tone goes, if you can get a 2nd, you might have to pull the trigger. I think it would be silly to trade him for less, because we'll more than likely receive a 3rd round comp pick. Didn't the Bengals get one for TJ? I would imagine Tone is worth more $ than TJ on the open market.

We got a 3rd round comp for TJ. You can't get any higher than what we got for him. Holmes will probably net you guys about the same, but if you can get a 2nd round in a trade, I would pull the trigger...

Northern_Blitz
04-08-2010, 03:36 PM

I know that there will be a draft following this season if next season is cancelled, but will there be a free agency period? Would 'Tone be on our roster for the next draft no matter what? Could we then try to trade him during that draft to a team that can work out a long term deal?

SteelAbility
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

The Steelers are not going to sign Holmes for two reasons. What he wants...and how he has represented the team off the field.

Not going to happen.

Where's that would you trade Santonio for the 69th pick thread again??? :HeadBanger

It's officially my day to razz you! :P

69th pick is in the 3rd round. We're talking 2nd round.

eniparadoxgma
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Buh bye.

SteelBucks
04-08-2010, 04:51 PM

No CBA = Lockout

Dee Dub
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Not going to happen.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...you may be but I'm not. Stop razzing for a second and maybe read??? Here eat some of this....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200)

Chadman
04-08-2010, 05:59 PM
How much do the Steelers lose if they trade Holmes, promote Wallace, and use Randle El as the 3rd WR?

They could then use the Holmes pick for another promising young WR to develop.

It might be an even better idea if Ben is in trouble- let's Dixon develop his own rapport with guys developing alongside him...

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
If Ben is in trouble, we are screwed no matter who we put in with Dixon.

Chadman
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
If Ben is in trouble, we are screwed no matter who we put in with Dixon.

Yes & no. Short term- absolutely. But the Steelers are a good team, and to turn it around wouldn't take as long here as it would, say, at the Lions.

If Ben is done, the Steelers will become a 'run first' team again, Chadman would expect. Until such time as either Dixon becomes a solid starter, or a new QB takes the reigns.

To Chadman, if Ben is done, it's easier to deal with Holmes- you move him out as well & build a new offense with Dixon at the helm. If Ben stays, chances are, the Steelers will hold on to Holmes & have to work out a way to deal with his crap.

stlrz d
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
This is from ESPN Insider's "rumors" page.

Yeah...the same page that reported the Raiders were the front runners to get McNabb.

WoodleyofTroy
04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":ukwc9dmg]Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

Not going to happen.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...you may be but I'm not. Stop razzing for a second and maybe read??? Here eat some of this....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200)[/quote:ukwc9dmg]

I don't understand how you think a Super Bowl MVP who hasn't touched his prime yet isn't worth a 2nd.

I guarantee someone would be willling to give up a late 1st. All it takes is one team.

Shawn
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Not going to happen.

If Ben is back...I would rather have Holmes one more year, a third rounder and another year to find a suitable alternative. A second rounder isn't worth all of that.

MaxAMillion
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
You definitely don't want to trade Holmes. He will be motivated this year so he can cash in next year as a FA. Take the motivated Holmes this year then let him leave.

Shawn
04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
You definitely don't want to trade Holmes. He will be motivated this year so he can cash in next year as a FA. Take the motivated Holmes this year then let him leave.

Exactly. If Ben is back...having a highly motivated Holmes could lead us to another SB. Why give that up? I mean we will get a third as compensation and have another year to develop some WR talent.

papillon
04-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Exactly. If Ben is back...having a highly motivated Holmes could lead us to another SB. Why give that up? I mean we will get a third as compensation and have another year to develop some WR talent.

Don't forget this is Limas' breakout year. :tt2 :tt2 I love me some Limas Kool-Aid.

Pappy

AngryAsian
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM
We need to just jetison the him and his baggage. I would rather see Wallace get full time snaps.

steelfin
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Don't let the door hit you in the @ss.....

DukieBoy
04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Don't let the door hit you in the fatboy, Stonio.

NJ-STEELER
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

did you have a problem with bettis high stepping after every run?

just wondering

Doogie36
04-09-2010, 07:39 AM
I had this feeling when they brought back EL and even before Washington got McNabb...I just feel like HOLMES is going to the REDSKINS!!!!!!!

Wallace to me is better as a deep threat anyway and he showed his HOLMES type abilities with his toe tapping abilities as well. Randle EL as 3rd receiver which is what he said he would be makes a lot of sense now and hey maybe SWEED and BATTLE can go at it for #4....I'm ok with that............

The Redskins have 3 all pro running backs, an all pro QB and can add Santonio??? Move over Eagles the Redskins would become contenders real quick and we can get 2 great draft pics early in this draft.............

Call me crazy but I see it happening..............

Chadman
04-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Just throwing this out there....

what if the Steelers traded Holmes for Brandon Marshall?

AngryAsian
04-09-2010, 09:07 AM

I had this thought as well.... but Marshall wants to get paid, so this probably won't be an option.

Chadman
04-09-2010, 09:15 AM

I had this thought as well.... but Marshall wants to get paid, so this probably won't be an option.

So pay him. :D

He is the prototype WR- he'll make all other WR's better, because Marshall will have 2 men assigned on him every play. He'd open up a lot of field for guys like Wallace to take advantage of.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Marshall?

So they get rid of one player with "baggage," only to pick up another with "baggage"?

I just don't see the Steelers doing this.

Chadman
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Different kind of baggage though.

Could be wrong, but isn't Marshall's big problem that he doesn't want to be in Denver?

Oviedo
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I never heard of Marshall having an issue while in college at UCF. To the contrary I heard lots of good things about his work ethic. Of course people change and money can ruin them but he is an incredible talent. IMO best WR in the NFL and I am considering Larry Fitzgerald who we will see this year was made very good by Kurt Warner.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
"I even chimed in that the Steelers could be considering trading Holmes, possibly to the receiver-needy Miami Dolphins for the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft."

As I stated in my previous article, don't be shocked to hear that the Steelers and Dolphins work out a trade for Holmes.

"If, in fact, the Steelers do deal Holmes, don't be too surprised if they make a run at restricted free agent Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos.

Marshall was born in Pittsburgh, and previously stated that he would enjoy playing for the Steelers. Other than his occasional attitude, Marshall plays the type of football that the Pittsburgh Steelers play: TOUGH."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3755 ... nio-holmes (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/375567-steelers-preparing-for-life-without-santonio-holmes)

Also plays with convictions and spouse abuse, so yep he would fit in nicely.

SteelAbility
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1fsryymx]Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

Not going to happen.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200)[/quote:1fsryymx]

Ok, we've got some signals crossed or something. Your post suggests trading Santonio for the 69th pick (a 3rd rounder). Then this post opens up and people suggest Santonio for a 2nd rounder. Then you say that's exactly what you said (in your Santonio to the Raiders for the 69th pick post).

Let's do the math ...

32 teams at one pick per team per round makes the 2nd round end at 64. 69 is greater than 64, therefore 69 is the 3rd round.

Furthermore, I read the post. Someone on that post said we took Santonio at #25 and his value has gone up since (being our #1 receiver and Super Bowl MVP). I agree with that assessment.

Not. Following. The logic.

SteelAbility
04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Marshall?

So they get rid of one player with "baggage," only to pick up another with "baggage"?

I just don't see the Steelers doing this.

How would you like Marshall going to the Patriots? The truth of the matter is that Marshall has huge potential and there is a question of whether or not the baggage can be managed. The thought of Marshall to NE or to BAL or to IND is a nightmarish to me.

Shawn
04-09-2010, 11:16 AM
"I even chimed in that the Steelers could be considering trading Holmes, possibly to the receiver-needy Miami Dolphins for the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft."

As I stated in my previous article, don't be shocked to hear that the Steelers and Dolphins work out a trade for Holmes.

"If, in fact, the Steelers do deal Holmes, don't be too surprised if they make a run at restricted free agent Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos.

Marshall was born in Pittsburgh, and previously stated that he would enjoy playing for the Steelers. Other than his occasional attitude, Marshall plays the type of football that the Pittsburgh Steelers play: TOUGH."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3755 ... nio-holmes (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/375567-steelers-preparing-for-life-without-santonio-holmes)

I would love the Holmes for Marshall trade. He would be an instant upgrade.

NW Steeler
04-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Not the type of move the Steelers traditionally make, but this would be SWEET!

BradshawsHairdresser
04-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Oops...you're right...I keep forgetting we're the new Bengals.

NW Steeler
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":1yy5u77w]If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

just wondering[/quote:1yy5u77w]

Not really. It wasn't nearly as high on the "jackass" meter to me. But to each his own.

proudpittsburgher
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2xwq2rhu][quote="NW Steeler":2xwq2rhu]If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

just wondering[/quote:2xwq2rhu]

Not really. It wasn't nearly as high on the "jackass" meter to me. But to each his own.[/quote:2xwq2rhu]

I tend to agree with you, thought I have no really good reason why.

Snatch98
04-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Marshall for Holmes? Since trading a minor headache for a MAJOR one makes a TON of sense. Holmes is no where near the headache Brandon Marshall is and he's not much of an upgrade if a upgrade at all. I'm fine with Holmes and until he makes a actual statement about wanting out of Pittsburgh is nothing more than a lofty rumor. Typical offseason B.S

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I had this feeling when they brought back EL and even before Washington got McNabb...I just feel like HOLMES is going to the REDSKINS!!!!!!!

Wallace to me is better as a deep threat anyway and he showed his HOLMES type abilities with his toe tapping abilities as well. Randle EL as 3rd receiver which is what he said he would be makes a lot of sense now and hey maybe SWEED and BATTLE can go at it for #4....I'm ok with that............

The Redskins have 3 all pro running backs, an all pro QB and can add Santonio??? Move over Eagles the Redskins would become contenders real quick and we can get 2 great draft pics early in this draft.............

Call me crazy but I see it happening..............

If we had to trade to someone, I hope it's the Redskins. They offered 2 first round picks for Chad Ocho Cinco.

Dee Dub
04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":1cztehmv]Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

Not going to happen.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200)

Ok, we've got some signals crossed or something. Your post suggests trading Santonio for the 69th pick (a 3rd rounder). Then this post opens up and people suggest Santonio for a 2nd rounder. Then you say that's exactly what you said (in your Santonio to the Raiders for the 69th pick post).

Let's do the math ...

32 teams at one pick per team per round makes the 2nd round end at 64. 69 is greater than 64, therefore 69 is the 3rd round.

Furthermore, I read the post. Someone on that post said we took Santonio at #25 and his value has gone up since (being our #1 receiver and Super Bowl MVP). I agree with that assessment.

Not. Following. The logic.[/quote:1cztehmv]

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah you're right...you are confussed. The whole trading of Santonio and the Steelers not resigning him is what I meant by "havent I suggested this before???"

But if you wanna get caught up and lost in the second round/third round thing....cool. :Cheers

It is my personal belief that no team will give the Steelers anything higher than a 3rd round pick for him regardless of what he has done on the field...and that is because of the mess he continues to make off the field.

ANPSTEEL
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
It is my personal belief that no team will give the Steelers anything higher than a 3rd round pick for him regardless of what he has done on the field...and that is because of the mess he continues to make off the field.

I agree here- but

it appears his situation in Georgia will be decided upon next week, prior to the draft- which is potentially good, in that he should be unfettered by outstanding legal issues- and may draw more interest = higher trade value.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 02:56 PM

I agree here- but

it appears his situation in Georgia will be decided upon next week, prior to the draft- which is potentially good, in that he should be unfettered by outstanding legal issues- and may draw more interest = higher trade value.

Georgia = Ben's case. Florida = Santonio's case.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:21 PM
[quote=SteelAbility][quote="Dee Dub":6qoe16mb]Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

Not going to happen.

Let's do the math ...

Not. Following. The logic.[/quote:6qoe16mb]

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah you're right...you are confussed. The whole trading of Santonio and the Steelers not resigning him is what I meant by "havent I suggested this before???"

But if you wanna get caught up and lost in the second round/third round thing....cool. :Cheers

It is my personal belief that no team will give the Steelers anything higher than a 3rd round pick for him regardless of what he has done on the field...and that is because of the mess he continues to make off the field.[/quote:6qoe16mb]

30 teams can have that same belief. All it takes is one that feels he's worth more.

Did you miss the part where Ocho Cinco was offered two first round picks?

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3k63dlsd][quote="NW Steeler":3k63dlsd]If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

just wondering[/quote:3k63dlsd]

Not really. It wasn't nearly as high on the "jackass" meter to me. But to each his own.[/quote:3k63dlsd]

did you know that holmes has the area code # of where he's from tattoed on the inside of that arm/"bicep"

SteelAbility
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
[quote=SteelAbility][quote="Dee Dub":2423o10k]Didnt Dee Dub..........errrrrrrr...that would be me.....already suggest all of this??

Not going to happen.

Let's do the math ...

Not. Following. The logic.[/quote:2423o10k]

It is my personal belief that no team will give the Steelers anything higher than a 3rd round pick for him regardless of what he has done on the field...and that is because of the mess he continues to make off the field.[/quote:2423o10k]

Ok, I think that cleared the air. :Cheers Props for the Tone Trade IDEA. I do think that 2nd/3rd is more than splitting hairs though. I also think WoodleyOfTroy makes a good point about "all you need is one." I believe that approach should lead to a 2nd or better for Santonio. Heck the Bengals might be that one. :bungalssuck

Sugar
04-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Ok, I think that cleared the air. :Cheers Props for the Tone Trade IDEA. I do think that 2nd/3rd is more than splitting hairs though. I also think WoodleyOfTroy makes a good point about "all you need is one." I believe that approach should lead to a 2nd or better for Santonio. Heck the Bengals might be that one. :bungalssuck

That would be a wise move for the Bengals. Even if they never played him, Santonio eats their lunch so badly that getting him away from the Steelers alone shoots up their chances of winning.

Dee Dub
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
My hope is that Oakland is that team. If the rumors of Jason Campbell now going to Oakland are true they still need a receiver for him to throw too.

:Cheers

frankthetank1
04-09-2010, 05:20 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":2qsuclni][quote="NJ-STEELER":2qsuclni][quote="NW Steeler":2qsuclni]If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

just wondering[/quote:2qsuclni]

Not really. It wasn't nearly as high on the "jackass" meter to me. But to each his own.[/quote:2qsuclni]

did you know that holmes has the area code # of where he's from tattoed on the inside of that arm/"bicep"[/quote:2qsuclni]

i had no idea he had those tatts. i also thought he was flexing which i didnt really get because his arms aren't that big. makes sense now.

no way the fins would trade the 12th pick for holmes but if they offered it the steelers shouldn't think twice of trading holmes. marshall is one of the best wr's in the nfl but he is one of the biggest a$$holes in the nfl as well. he has been in more trouble with the law than holmes so i dont think the steelers would want another player with baggage. that is the reason they are possibly interested in trading holmes. maybe marshall playing in the burgh would change his attitude, but i doubt it

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
no way the fins would trade the 12th pick for holmes but if they offered it the steelers shouldn't think twice of trading holmes.

You never know. Depends on how their draft board goes. If it's in pieces, then a trade could be in consideration.

Also, some GM's prefer to pay an established player oppose to a rookie contract, which is why you see a lot of guys who are going into their 2nd contracts being traded for draft picks.

frankthetank1
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
no way the fins would trade the 12th pick for holmes but if they offered it the steelers shouldn't think twice of trading holmes.

You never know. Depends on how their draft board goes. If it's in pieces, then a trade could be in consideration.

Also, some GM's prefer to pay an established player oppose to a rookie contract, which is why you see a lot of guys who are going into their 2nd contracts being traded for draft picks.[/quote]

that makes a lot of sense i agree with that logic established player over rookie but the 12th pick?? holmes is good but he isnt worth that much. that would be an absolute steal for the steelers i hope it happens

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Also got to take into consideration a teams track record in the first round. Lately, we have been hitting on all of our first round picks. So it would take a lot to pry away one of ours. We value them very high.

Look at a team like the Raiders. Or any team with frequent first round busts.

They have a different mindset.

There is no written rule or value on who is worth what. A player is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for.

Which is why you see guys like Deion Branch being traded for a first, and an Anquan Boldin going for a 3rd.

NW Steeler
04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":2waenoc0][quote="NJ-STEELER":2waenoc0][quote="NW Steeler":2waenoc0]If they could get a second rounder out of him I would trade him NOW. His attitude really bothers me. Not seeing him flex after every catch would be a blessing. I love what he did for us in our Super Bowl run in 2008, but if he wants out and he is going to continue to act up off the field like he has been then all I have to say is GOOD BYE!!!

just wondering[/quote:2waenoc0]

Not really. It wasn't nearly as high on the "jackass" meter to me. But to each his own.[/quote:2waenoc0]

did you know that holmes has the area code # of where he's from tattoed on the inside of that arm/"bicep"[/quote:2waenoc0]

Nope, I've never seen it. that would make it a little more understandable. It''s not like he has "guns" or anything. That isn't the only posture he makes, but most of it is the same crap that 75% of the other WR do.

frankthetank1
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
My hope is that Oakland is that team. If the rumors of Jason Campbell now going to Oakland are true they still need a receiver for him to throw too.

:Cheers

i think the raiders will only make those kind of trades with the pats unfortunately. its too bad they cant at least trade us their 1st round pick in the 2011 draft :cry:

NorthCoast
04-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Personally, I think Holmes can be replaced without a huge loss. There are many stretches in games where he seemed to disappear. Maybe he was double covered in those cases but his game is speed, not strength and there are plenty of speed guys to be had.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers try to make a draft-day trade and get a decent pick for him. If he wants out, show him the door.

papillon
04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I never heard of Marshall having an issue while in college at UCF. To the contrary I heard lots of good things about his work ethic. Of course people change and money can ruin them but he is an incredible talent. IMO best WR in the NFL and I am considering Larry Fitzgerald who we will see this year was made very good by Kurt Warner.

I beg to differ on that one, Larry Fitzgerald extended Kurt Warner's career. Kurt Warner didn't make Larry Fitzgerald. If Warner threw it in the same zip code Fitzgerald went and got it.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-09-2010, 09:57 PM
The NFL isn't populated by Boy Scouts. Holmes is probably no worse or better than the average player in terms of "off the field news", unfortunately.

Even if the F.O. thought he was wrong for the team for any one of a number of reasons, it's by no means certain that the guy you trade him for would be any better in that respect.

He's a SB winning receiver with skills to help us enormously for a number of years. Unless he finally goes over the top "off the field" one day, I have the guy catch TDs for us, not another team (including Heaven forbid, an AFCN opponent :HeadBanger ).

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 09:58 PM

I beg to differ on that one, Larry Fitzgerald extended Kurt Warner's career. Kurt Warner didn't make Larry Fitzgerald. If Warner threw it in the same zip code Fitzgerald went and got it.

Pappy
totally agree

Ozey74
04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Screw Holmes. We had a WR a few years ago by the name of Plaxico Burress that caused the Steelers similiar type of drama. We let him go and did OK.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Screw Holmes. We had a WR a few years ago by the name of Plaxico Burress that caused the Steelers similiar type of drama. We let him go and did OK.

With Hines Ward in his prime.

Ozey74
04-09-2010, 10:58 PM

With Hines Ward in his prime.

We can get rid of Holmes with Mike Wallace not to far away from him prime. Mike Wallace may turn out to be a player like Marques Colston. Way under the radar on draft day that turns out to be a stud WR.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2010, 06:47 AM

Pappy
totally agree

Yup...there a few wideouts out there who have the talent to dominate no matter who is throwing the rock. Fitz and Andre Johnson are the obvious examples. Calvin Johnson is on the verge of joining that group.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2010, 06:53 AM

One guy is best known for this highlight:

[youtube:1i2frfs0]BOfouSAAkZY[/youtube:1i2frfs0]

The other is best known for this lowlight:

[youtube:1i2frfs0]zfMj7qNt6X8[/youtube:1i2frfs0]

You decide.

Ozey74
04-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Given the situation with Holmes, does anyone think we might go WR in round 1? Golden Tate or Dez Bryant. I'd wouldn't mind Tate.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Given the situation with Holmes, does anyone think we might go WR in round 1? Golden Tate or Dez Bryant. I'd wouldn't mind Tate.

I sure as hell hope not. I hope all these early round WR visits are nothing but a smokescreen. I'm fine with Holmes-Ward-Wallace-Randle El-Battle-Sweed as a top 6 WR going into camp this season, so where would a rookie fit, since we typically keep only 5 WR's (and six on very rare occasions)? If Ward starts showing his age this season and we decide not to re-sign Holmes after this year for whatever reason, then we could look hard at WR in the next draft.

Next year is a better WR class than this year anyway. Georgia's A.J. Green, Alabama's Julio Jones, and Notre Dame's Michael Floyd could all be top 10 talents. Pitt's own Jonathan Baldwin could also be a first round consideration next year as well. All four of those guys are big targets (6'3" to 6'5").

Oviedo
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Tate's skillset is more Hine Ward than Santonio Holmes. I think the only way we look WR in the top half of the draft is if Holmes is really shipped out as an example to the rest of the team.

A month ago I would have said it was absurd to suggest Holmes being traded but if the Rooney's are half as ticked off as we read then there might be something to that. The fact is Santonio is his own worst enemy and ultimately will probably be allowed to leave.

Chadman
04-10-2010, 09:55 AM
What is it now? 6 WR prospects brought in so far?

1 or 2...that's a smokescreen.

When it's up to around 20% of your official visits- that's either the largest case of overkill, or there's more than smoke in them there hills..

stlrz d
04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Has this moved from the "rumors" page at ESPN to actual news yet?

Didn't think so.

/thread over

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM

I sure as hell hope not. I hope all these early round WR visits are nothing but a smokescreen. I'm fine with Holmes-Ward-Wallace-Randle El-Battle-Sweed as a top 6 WR going into camp this season, so where would a rookie fit, since we typically keep only 5 WR's (and six on very rare occasions)? If Ward starts showing his age this season and we decide not to re-sign Holmes after this year for whatever reason, then we could look hard at WR in the next draft.

Next year is a better WR class than this year anyway. Georgia's A.J. Green, Alabama's Julio Jones, and Notre Dame's Michael Floyd could all be top 10 talents. Pitt's own Jonathan Baldwin could also be a first round consideration next year as well. All four of those guys are big targets (6'3" to 6'5").

i agree. i think this class of wr's is pretty weak. the only wr i would want in this years draft is dez bryant and that isnt going to happen. i would love if the steelers drafted either baldwin or floyd. wont baldwin only be a junior next season? i would be shocked if he didnt leave early though. baldwin is big and fast with great hands. i only hope we have a legit shot at drafting him

feltdizz
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM

[youtube:1sawhbbn]BOfouSAAkZY[/youtube:1sawhbbn]

[youtube:1sawhbbn]zfMj7qNt6X8[/youtube:1sawhbbn]

You decide.

The second clip of Marshall was hilarious. Imagine going to work and just throwing files back at people or kicking chairs over in the office...

Why would anyone want Marshall? He holds out every year, pretty much quit on his team when they needed him most and likes to spray champaign on guys in clubs. He also told gang members they weren't killers... and they shot his teammate 5 minutes layer.

I'll take the SB MVP who says stupid stuff on Twitter and gets his face rubbed by a woman in front of cops before she files a bogus suit.

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 10:39 AM

[youtube:3bd63nuj]BOfouSAAkZY[/youtube:3bd63nuj]

[youtube:3bd63nuj]zfMj7qNt6X8[/youtube:3bd63nuj]

You decide.

The second clip of Marshall was hilarious. Imagine going to work and just throwing files back at people or kicking chairs over in the office...

Why would anyone want Marshall? He holds out every year, pretty much quit on his team when they needed him most and likes to spray champaign on guys in clubs. He also told gang members they weren't killers... and they shot his teammate 5 minutes layer.

I'll take the SB MVP who says stupid stuff on Twitter and gets his face rubbed by a woman in front of cops before she files a bogus suit.

yeah i dont think the steelers should trade holmes. if its for a top 15 pick then yes but thats the only way the steelers should deal him. holmes isnt half as bad as marshall. holmes has never quit on his team and has had no problems with tomlin. weather or not holmes deserves the contract he wants is another thing. im sure he wants top 5 wr money which he isnt worth

feltdizz
04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
There is no reason Holmes shouldn't try to get as much money as possible. It's still a business and I would only despise Holmes if he turned his back on us for 1 or 2 mill more over the length of the contract.

If someone pays top 5 money for him why wouldn't he take it?

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 12:42 PM
There is no reason Holmes shouldn't try to get as much money as possible. It's still a business and I would only despise Holmes if he turned his back on us for 1 or 2 mill more over the length of the contract.

If someone pays top 5 money for him why wouldn't he take it?

he should definetly take it. who wouldnt want to make as much money as they possibly could? i dont hold that against any player who leaves for money. i agree the only thing that bothers me is when players like bmac who will turn down almost the same contract the steelers offer. the steelers wont over pay for holmes because thats how they do buisness and thats why they are always a good team. holmes isnt a top 5 wr so the steelers wont pay him top 5 money

NJ-STEELER
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
What is it now? 6 WR prospects brought in so far?

1 or 2...that's a smokescreen.

When it's up to around 20% of your official visits- that's either the largest case of overkill, or there's more than smoke in them there hills..

i see ur point, but how many of those are considered 1st round material

steelblood
04-10-2010, 04:31 PM
holmes and draft pick for brandon marshall.

AkronSteel
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I would send Holmes to St. Louis for a 2nd and 5th rounder! The Rams need a go-to-guy for Bradford....well, once he is drafted! :D That would give the Steelers the opportunity to draft Pouncey at 18, a good solid corner prospect at 33 (McCourty, K. Jackson, Ghee), and still add a WR to replace Holmes in the 3rd, Taylor Price would be great! They could go a number of ways in the 2nd round at 52?? I think that would help the team substantially and you could still have a WR corp of:

Hines Ward
Mike Wallace
Antwan Randle El
Taylor Price
Arnaz Battle
Limas Sweed

I could live with a group like that and the team would be able to add depth and competition to the OL, DB, and some other position! I think this would be a very good move. I really like Santonio, heck I'm a Buckeyes fan too but, I just think the team would benefit from a move like this!