PDA

View Full Version : Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round

fordfixer
04-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round
April 7th, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/07/kiper-has-uf-cg-going-to-steelers-in-first-round/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

With the NFL draft two weeks away, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking Florida center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“I think the Steelers could use a versatile, interior presence that can play at a high level at center or guard,” Kiper said today on a conference call. “He’s also got great character.”

If the Steelers took the 6-5, 304-pound Pouncey with their top pick, they could play him at right guard, where they could use an upgrade, and eventually move him to center.

Pouncey compares favorably with Jets center Nick Mangold, who has made the last two Pro Bowls and become one of the top players at his position.

If the Steelers address the offensive line with their first-round pick, Kiper said, they almost have to use their second-round pick on a cornerback.

Kiper said Patrick Robinson of Florida State would be a strong possibility for the Steelers in the second round if they go with a cornerback.

Another possibility he mentioned in the second round is East Carolina nose tackle Linval Joseph.

“Is really under the radar,” Kiper said of the 6-41/2 328-pound Joseph, “but has really come along and is now a solid late (round) one or early to mid two.”

Kiper said the Steelers may take a defensive end early in the draft and said Arkansas State’s Alex Carrington is a possibility for them in the third round. Joseph, he said, also could play end in a 3-4 defense.

rpmpit
04-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Can he play center? :lol:

If this kid really does compare to Mangold, its a no brainer. Just seems like we've ignored our glaring needs on o-line for quite some time now. Why start now?

costanza2k1
04-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm not much of a college football fan but as a Steelers fanatic nothing would make me happier then getting 2 OLinemen in the 1st 2 rounds. Don't know who but a G and C would be nice.

papillon
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm glad Kiper is mocking Pouncey to the Steelers that almost guarantees it won't happen. :P

Pappy

pfelix73
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow. It's all a matter of one's perspective. Personally, I think the OL has enough depth there that we don't need to even address it early on in this years draft. I thought in February that a OT might be a good pick to compete at RT, but we signed a veteran lineman from Buffalo for depth, so Hills could be the odd man out. If Pouncey would fall into the 2nd round, and I think he will, then I would be ok with them picking him there, but not with the 18th pick. That's too early for him. Just remember that anyone could be the next Mangold including Legursky. Time will tell on that.

To me, the most pressing need on this team is on the defense. CB, DL, LB. Drafting as high as 18 will get you a good play maker on defense. At least it should. Depends on who is on the board when they pick, obviously.

I guess we'll see the Steelers perspective in a few weeks. That will tell us who on this board was right in their line of thinking.
:tt1

PS- oh and the odds are it won't be Pouncey now- since when was Kiper right?

Lebsteel
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm glad Kiper is mocking Pouncey to the Steelers that almost guarantees it won't happen. :P

Pappy
Pappy, we are on the same wavelength!! No Pouncey in Rd. 1 if Kiper is predicting it! :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Pappy

Pappy--you beat me to the post. I was going to say the exact same thing. This is the best news in days because it means we won't draft a Center at the highest spot in Round 1 this decade.

If you want someone to play Guard get the 330lb Iupati not the 305lb Pouncey. Iupati will improve the run game, Pouncey won't.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Pappy

Kiper's knowledge of random guys who will be 7th round picks or UDFA's is impressive, but in terms of a prognosticator, he leaves a lot to be desired. The mock I look forward to each year is Rick Gosselin from the Dallas Morning News, since he seems to be a knack for first round predictions. I think he doesn't typically publish it until right before the actual draft, though.

frankthetank1
04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow. It's all a matter of one's perspective. Personally, I think the OL has enough depth there that we don't need to even address it early on in this years draft. I thought in February that a OT might be a good pick to compete at RT, but we signed a veteran lineman from Buffalo for depth, so Hills could be the odd man out. If Pouncey would fall into the 2nd round, and I think he will, then I would be ok with them picking him there, but not with the 18th pick. That's too early for him. Just remember that anyone could be the next Mangold including Legursky. Time will tell on that.

To me, the most pressing need on this team is on the defense. CB, DL, LB. Drafting as high as 18 will get you a good play maker on defense. At least it should. Depends on who is on the board when they pick, obviously.

I guess we'll see the Steelers perspective in a few weeks. That will tell us who on this board was right in their line of thinking.
:tt1

PS- oh and the odds are it won't be Pouncey now- since when was Kiper right?

i agree i think the o-line is fine. RG is the only position they could upgrade right away. they do need a center for the future but hartwig is ok for now. they should focus on defense. the steelers hardly ever have a draft pick this high why not use it on a talented db which is the biggest need for the steelers

Chadman
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Disagree somewhat- Hartwig is, statistically, the worst starting NFL Center. He's poor- we are just comparing him to Mahan, so he looks 'servicable'. Maybe it's because the RG for the last 2 years has been even poorer though?

Iupati has more potential to be a dominant NFL player, so Chadman prefers Iupati at #18.

And in Chadman's perfect world, the Steelers starting Center of the future is either Doug Legursky, or Matt Tennant from Boston College.

Here's betting Tomlin & co give Coach Kugs a year to work on Legursky...or perhaps Urbik at Center...

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Disagree somewhat- Hartwig is, statistically, the worst starting NFL Center. He's poor- we are just comparing him to Mahan, so he looks 'servicable'. Maybe it's because the RG for the last 2 years has been even poorer though?

Iupati has more potential to be a dominant NFL player, so Chadman prefers Iupati at #18.

And in Chadman's perfect world, the Steelers starting Center of the future is either Doug Legursky, or Matt Tennant from Boston College.

Here's betting Tomlin & co give Coach Kugs a year to work on Legursky...or perhaps Urbik at Center...

:Agree We don't need Pouncey. Iupati would be a much better selection.

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not holding my breath on Legursky or Urbik, but then again, we never got anything out of Starks, Colon or Kemo until their 3rd year, I believe. I'm really torn on what they should do. They need to upgrade their OL, but at this point their secondary needs are greater. The more I think about it, the more I think it will be Kyle Wilson.

Chadman
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not holding my breath on Legursky or Urbik, but then again, we never got anything out of Starks, Colon or Kemo until their 3rd year, I believe. I'm really torn on what they should do. They need to upgrade their OL, but at this point their secondary needs are greater. The more I think about it, the more I think it will be Kyle Wilson.

Honestly, with the depth at CB in this draft, you can wait until late Round 2 & still pick up a guy of the quality of a Patrick Robinson or Brandon Ghee...the drop-off in talent from say OG #1 to OG #2 is far greater...Chadman puts NT, OG & DE at the top of the list of 'greater drop-off' in talent. You get best value, probably, for CB's, Safeties, OLB's & RB's in this draft- quality is solid all the way through to about Round 4 for all 4 positions.

Just Chadman's opinion, of course..

SteelAbility
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh, boy! It looks like we're going to start another "Pouncey is 1st round talent ... Oh no he's not, you're an idiot" debate. :moon :P

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Honestly, with the depth at CB in this draft, you can wait until late Round 2 & still pick up a guy of the quality of a Patrick Robinson or Brandon Ghee...the drop-off in talent from say OG #1 to OG #2 is far greater...Chadman puts NT, OG & DE at the top of the list of 'greater drop-off' in talent. You get best value, probably, for CB's, Safeties, OLB's & RB's in this draft- quality is solid all the way through to about Round 4 for all 4 positions.

I totally agree with your "drop-off theory." DB is very deep and we will be able to get quality players in Rounds 2 and 3. I do think there is a drop off between OLB when you factor in the potential to be elite pass rushing 3-4 OLB versus OLBs who can play in the 4-3. IMO Graham is in a clear class by himself (much like Iupati at Guard) as de conversion projects with guys like Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, etc being a clear level below.

MeetJoeGreene
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM

In MJG Nirvanna, the FO is convinced (and is correct) that Legursky is a good center. It would be awesome for that to turn out to be the case.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2010, 12:19 PM

I totally agree with your "drop-off theory." DB is very deep and we will be able to get quality players in Rounds 2 and 3. I do think there is a drop off between OLB when you factor in the potential to be elite pass rushing 3-4 OLB versus OLBs who can play in the 4-3. IMO Graham is in a clear class by himself (much like Iupati at Guard) as de conversion projects with guys like Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, etc being a clear level below.

I have Graham as my top OLB prospect as well, and agree that there is a significant drop-off between him and Misi and Sapp, who are clearly day two gusy. But I don't see a gigantic drop-off between Graham and Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle, though. I would be very happy to take the best available player at #18, then trading #52 and #82 for a shot at Jerry Hughes in the early portion of round 2 if he is there. He would be a legit option as a pass-rushing OLB in our 3-4 defense if anything were to happen to Harrison or Woodley, allowing us to keep Timmons inside instead of moving him to OLB if injuries hit.

birtikidis
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I think too many of you guys are forgetting about Urbik. I would say he's nearly as good as Iuapati(sp?). the real question mark on this offensive line is the CENTER!!!! hartwig is not a very good player. he's barely better than mahan.
the vast majority of you guys b!tch and moan about lost mid round draft picks and you're already writing 3 of them off from last year! that's ridiculous! Hartwig is an established vet and we KNOW he sucks. burnett, Lewis and urbik haven't even had the chance to learn anything and you all want to run them out of town.
ridiculous.

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I think too many of you guys are forgetting about Urbik. I would say he's nearly as good as Iuapati(sp?). the real question mark on this offensive line is the CENTER!!!! hartwig is not a very good player. he's barely better than mahan.
the vast majority of you guys b!tch and moan about lost mid round draft picks and you're already writing 3 of them off from last year! that's ridiculous! Hartwig is an established vet and we KNOW he sucks. burnett, Lewis and urbik haven't even had the chance to learn anything and you all want to run them out of town.
ridiculous.

:Agree on Lewis

:Agree on Burnett

:Agree on Urbik

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
ridiculous.

I don't think any of us are forgetting about Urbik. But by most reports you see coming out of Pittsburgh, Urbik was extremely underwhelming last year, and was physically manhandled in drills. How is it that Urbik is on the same level as Iupati? Center and RG are a problem.

birtikidis
04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
ridiculous.

I don't think any of us are forgetting about Urbik. But by most reports you see coming out of Pittsburgh, Urbik was extremely underwhelming last year, and was physically manhandled in drills. How is it that Urbik is on the same level as Iupati? Center and RG are a problem.
you think that Iupati is gonna come out of backwoods idaho or wherever he is and look any better as a ROOKIE? you're kidding me. Iupati didn't even look good at the senior bowl, and I'm pretty sure that he's gonna look worse when he has to go up against teh likes of hampton, smitty, kiesel, woodley and harrison.

Chadman
04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Chadman's problem with Urbik is simple.

He was the 2nd pick, a 3rd round selection, by the Steelers last season. On it's own, you don't expect him to have much impact in his rookie season.

But then Darnell Stapleton went down.

And OT Trai Essex was moved to RG. Ok, he was a vet, so experience puts him in the frame earlier.

Then Kemo went down.

And undrafted Center Doug Legursky stepped in. Ok, a 1 year vet, so lets assume his experience got him on the field first.

But then Legursky went down.

And in stepped undrafted rookie OT Ramon Foster.

That was UNDRAFTED ROOKIE OT Ramon Foster. Not 2nd round OG Ramon Foster. Or 3 year vet Ramon Foster. This was the undrafted OT that no team felt was good enough to draft, stepping in front of the Steelers 2nd overall draft selection, and career OG, Kraig Urbik.

So, with Legursky, Kemo, Foster & Essex on the books- where does Urbik fit, if he can't get game time ahead of an undrafted rookie?

Add to this the reports that he struggled badly in Training Camp, and suddenly it's not looking good.

And don't forget, statistically, Trai Essex was one of, if not THE worst starting OG in the NFL last season.

Chadman is not saying Urbik is a lost cause. But with the poor play of the OL over the last 2-3 years, can the Steelers continue to hope that guys like Urbik develop?

Iupati is a 1st round talent. Take away the one game in which he struggled- the Senior Bowl- and everyone considers him possibly the best OL in the draft.

Could Iupati start on Day 1? Well, new OL Coach Kugs had 2 rookie OG's starting in Buffalo last season, so why not?

birtikidis
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Chadman, the game you want to take away is the only game he had ANY Talent playing against him!
We don't know Urbiks story. we have no idea what was going on. What I know is: he was a hell of a ball player at Wisconsin and he's entering his second year. I also know that hartwig is the worst center in the NFL (since Mahan isn't starting anywhere).

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
ridiculous.

you think that Iupati is gonna come out of backwoods idaho or wherever he is and look any better as a ROOKIE? you're kidding me. Iupati didn't even look good at the senior bowl, and I'm pretty sure that he's gonna look worse when he has to go up against teh likes of hampton, smitty, kiesel, woodley and harrison.

Well yeah, I do think Iupati could come in as a rookie and do better than Urbik. And that is saying NOTHING since Urbik did absolutely squat last year. No one knows if Iupati will be a good pro. But thinking that Urbik will be the answer at RG or C is also just as short sided. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people around here if/when Iupati is the pick at #18.

Chadman
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Chadman, the game you want to take away is the only game he had ANY Talent playing against him!
We don't know Urbiks story. we have no idea what was going on. What I know is: he was a hell of a ball player at Wisconsin and he's entering his second year. I also know that hartwig is the worst center in the NFL (since Mahan isn't starting anywhere).

You could be right, but...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33869&draftyear=2009&genpos=OG)

Scroll down until you find the section labelled "Draft Scout Kraig Urbik News".

Then tell Chadman you feel confident.

birtikidis
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm still confident in Urbik. I think he'll be fine. he's not the first draft pick to not get any playing time. he's also not the first draft pick to get surpassed by an UDFA. Give the kid some time and then we'll see what happens.
Iupati hasn't shown me anything other than he can dominate tiny little schools with no talent.

Shawn
04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I think Kiper finally got something right. Center then DB is the way the Steelers go unless a freak falls. I would be happy with Pouncey then Ghee.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 12:10 AM
didn't leon searcy sit a whole year as a rookie with us as a #13 overall pick?.

i'm n ot expecting an all pro type of year from ubrick but i'm not gonna write him off either.

he's close to if not the highest drafted lineman we have on our roster (i know max was a 3rd rder too but dont recall the overall number)

which brings up a question. how many snaps did Max play at OT his rookie year

Chadman
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM

i'm n ot expecting an all pro type of year from ubrick but i'm not gonna write him off either.

he's close to if not the highest drafted lineman we have on our roster (i know max was a 3rd rder too but dont recall the overall number)

It's not that Chadman expected Urbik to play right off the bat- don't make that mistake.

It's that an undrafted rookie got to start in front of him that is concerning. Perfect world, Urbik gets a couple of years to develop- but if the coaches feel an undrafted rookie is ahead of our 3rd round pick, that doesn't sound good for the 3rd round pick, does it?

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM

It's not that Chadman expected Urbik to play right off the bat- don't make that mistake.

It's that an undrafted rookie got to start in front of him that is concerning. Perfect world, Urbik gets a couple of years to develop- but if the coaches feel an undrafted rookie is ahead of our 3rd round pick, that doesn't sound good for the 3rd round pick, does it?
chadman that's kinda like saying that a former insurance salesman started over ben so...

Chadman
04-09-2010, 12:29 AM

chadman that's kinda like saying that a former insurance salesman started over ben so...

No mate- Maddox was an experienced Vet, it made sense for him to start over Ben.

Ramon Foster & Urbik came out of the same draft class- Urbik considered good enough to be a 3rd rounder, Foster not considered good enough to be drafted at all.

Yet, Urbik gets to watch Foster play....how does that happen??

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 12:36 PM

No mate- Maddox was an experienced Vet, it made sense for him to start over Ben.

Ramon Foster & Urbik came out of the same draft class- Urbik considered good enough to be a 3rd rounder, Foster not considered good enough to be drafted at all.

chadman it happens more frequently then you think. some guys come in and grasp a system faster. sure they may not be as talented but, if you know your plays and can recognize the calls right away you're gonna play sooner.
how many 3rd round picks or later have we given up and wish that we'd have let them develop a little bit more?
and the point about maddox and ben was the talent level. Ben had a lot more talent but still didn't start. why? because he didn't have the playbook down. If the better talent plays every time it doesn't necassarily mean you're gonna have a better player on the field.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 03:36 PM

chadman it happens more frequently then you think. some guys come in and grasp a system faster. sure they may not be as talented but, if you know your plays and can recognize the calls right away you're gonna play sooner.
how many 3rd round picks or later have we given up and wish that we'd have let them develop a little bit more?
and the point about maddox and ben was the talent level. Ben had a lot more talent but still didn't start. why? because he didn't have the playbook down. If the better talent plays every time it doesn't necassarily mean you're gonna have a better player on the field.

i kind of remember something about foster being more adept to play OT if another injury occured.

position flexibility as tomlin and ruthlessberger say

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
If memory serves me right, Foster was well thought of until he got hurt his last year at UT... but you know, we've had future hall of famers sit behind guys that weren't as good as they were simply because they didn't know the system. I'm not saying that Urbik is a future hall of famer. hell he may not be even a future starter. BUT we should let him develop a little to see what we have before we write him off.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Mock drafts aren't exactly an indication of reality, but when a Center is projected as a first rounder, he usually ends up dominating at his position.

Were Mangold and Mack ever mocked as high as #11 overall?

I've seen Mack and Wood mocked a lot in the 2nd round last year. Don't see this at all with Pouncey.

Not sure if you guys are just undervaluing him because you don't want him to be the pick. He's not even in my top 5 at #18, but I still realize his elite pro potential.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Maurkice Pouncey Could Be A First Round Pick For Falcons
by Dave the Falconer on Apr 6, 2010 8:00 AM EDT

Maurkice Pouncey's got moves....for a center.

Todd McClure isn't getting any younger.

In a nutshell, that's the best argument for taking Maurkice Pouncey with the 19th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Playing a physically demanding position for 12 seasons with very few games off, celebrating your 33rd birthday and putting such a degree of strain on your knees that MacGyver can't fix them with duct tape and tinfoil isn't generally a good recipe for five more years of healthy play. Of course, McClure is tough as hell.

But if that was the only reason, why would the Falcons even consider Pouncey? It's not, of course.

Simply put, Pouncey is one of the best prospects in the draft. He just doesn't happen to be playing a position where most teams invest first round picks.

He's got terrific size for a center at about 6'5" and 305 pounds. He's a fantastic athlete, a quick study and a player who knows on an instinctual level how to block. Frankly, he does just about everything well. It's hard to quibble with his ability, outside of his tendency to be a little too aggressive and his limited experience outside of a shotgun offense. As a center, he's heads and shoulders above every other prospect in this year's draft.

Given all, the question really comes to whether or not the Falcons need a center. I don't think anyone within the range of McClure's fist (85 billion miles) wants to question his ability to play all 16 games in 2010, so it's pretty clearly not going to be this season unless Pouncey can slide to guard in case Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock get hurt or falter. That's not the likeliest of scenarios, though. If McClure decides to hang up his cleats in 2011, however, Pouncey would immediately step in as a starter, where he could anchor the offensive line for a decade to come.

He's really only a good value here if teams in front of the Falcons go out of their way to steal the prospects who top the team's big board. Pouncey's been linked to the Falcons in the past and I'm sure the interest is legitimate, I still can't picture the team making offensive line a higher priority than defense, even if I do believe we need an infusion of young talent there. In a year where the Falcons had really built the team into a vision ordained by Our Most Glorious Comrade, Pouncey might have been the likeliest pick. Where we still don't have the ability to invest early picks in luxuries, I doubt very much that this will happen.

Your thoughts?

-------
Even if this is just a speculation article, you didn't see much of this stuff with Mack from teams picking this early.

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Mock drafts aren't exactly an indication of reality, but when a Center is projected as a first rounder, he usually ends up dominating at his position.

Were Mangold and Mack ever mocked as high as #11 overall?

I've seen Mack and Wood mocked a lot in the 2nd round last year. Don't see this at all with Pouncey.

Not sure if you guys are just undervaluing him because you don't want him to be the pick. He's not even in my top 5 at #18, but I still realize his elite pro potential.
I think this is the case. alot of people are saying he's a second round talent that would go in the first only because he's the best center in this draft. to me that's stupid. As much talent is in this draft you would think he'd SLIDE because of all the good players that would go before him. there is some crazy good talent in this draft and that alone should push him out of the first (if he didn't have as much to offer as he does)

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Cowboys Potential Draft Picks: Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida

Florida's Maurkice Pouncey can play center, guard, and even right tackle in a pinch.
In our final Offensive Line Grades, we detailed how efficient the Cowboys’ interior linemen were in 2009. We gave Kyle Kosier a “B” grade and both Leonard Davis and Andre Gurode an “A-.” Thus, we see the interior linemen as one of the strengths of the Cowboys’ offense.

The problem, though, is that the backup situation at both guard and center is worrisome. Guards Duke Preston and Cory Procter received tender offers from the Cowboys, and there are rumors that the team is negotiating with unrestricted free agent Montrae Holland on a new deal. Despite this, Dallas would be ecstatic to add a more reliable and consistent backup interior lineman.

It is likely both this weak backup situation and the soon-expiring contract of Kyle Kosier which have the Cowboys linked to Idaho guard Mike Iupati. In our opinion, though, the Cowboys could kill two birds with one stone by selecting a player who can play both guard and center.

It is this sort of versatility that the team loves and which Florida C/G Maurkice Pouncey possesses.

Scouting Report

At 6?5”, 318 pounds, Pouncey has good size to anchor a line. In addition to center and guard, there is also a possibility that Pouncey could swing out to tackle in a pinch. This kind of versatility is almost non-existent and is what has some scouts rating him as a top 15 prospect.

Pouncey would fit well into the Cowboys’ scheme because of his run-blocking abilities. He has tremendous lower body strength and exceptional quickness off the ball for his size. This quickness and fluidity also allows Pouncey to be above-average in pass protection. He utilizes his athleticism in gaining leverage to overpower larger defensive tackles.

We talked to one scout who thinks Pouncey will be an All-Pro player almost immediately. The key for Dallas is whether they grade Pouncey as a guard as well as other teams will grade him as a center.

Projection

We think Pouncey may surprise people with how high he gets selected in the draft. The Cowboys are not the only team that values versatility, so we see Pouncey as a near-certain first round selection. In fact, we are not convinced Iupati will get drafted before Pouncey.

Having said that, there are so many talented players that someone must drop, and teams frequently value other positions more than center and guard. If Pouncey is still available at pick #27, we expect the Cowboys to seriously consider him. The downside to drafting Pouncey is that he may not provide an immediate impact, a trait for which Dallas could be searching in the first round of this draft.

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
i can't remember who said it or where I read it (i think it was on the boards here), but an analyst said that he thinks Pouncey is the best center to come out in 10 years...

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Comments:

From what I've heard, Pouncey will be a Bronco, even if they don't trade down from 11.
.JP
Apr 04, 2010
01:00 AM He's a beast. I hope he would fall to 22 with the Patriots. Pats fans are dying for a pass rush. At 22, there's no point in reaching for one when you can grab one with 1 of the 3 2nd round picks. Koppen has done the job lately and in order to win in this league, we need Tom Brady to be upright 1st...then a pass rush!!!
.Greg
Apr 04, 2010
10:18 AM Not sure there's much chance, JP. Steelers should take him, without a doubt, as they don't have many other needs and were a turnstile at center the past few years. And if not, I think the Falcons might, as they've been working out centers left and right to see if they can find a suitable non-Pouncey replacement for McClure. I'm not sure where "Ryan" gets his information, as mock drafts don't count. Anyone can throw 32 names in a row of possible first rounders (remember how many time Larry English was going to the Falcons in the first round last year?), but that doesn't mean anything.

I think he's a value at any pick after 15-ish. But then again, center is not a position that goes highly, so maybe I'm wrong, otherwise why would the Chiefs and Jets and Vikings be working him out (late 1st, early 2nd picks)?
.Willie
Apr 04, 2010
01:02 PM I keep hearing the same thing the Broncos love Pouncey, but they might a have a heck of a decision to make if McClain is still on the board.
.Isaac Cox
Apr 04, 2010
03:58 PM There's been talk in Philly that the Eagles might take him if he falls that low (24). Starting center Jamaal Jackson may not be back for preseason even, and they released the starting OT Shawn Andrews. They need O-line help badly.
.mlb jerseys
Apr 06, 2010
10:11 PM I think the Falcons might, as they've been working out centers left and right to see if they can find a suitable non-Pouncey replacement for McClure.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
i can't remember who said it or where I read it (i think it was on the boards here), but an analyst said that he thinks Pouncey is the best center to come out in 10 years...

Gil Brandt.

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Gil Brandt.
thank you sir

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
i kind of remember something about foster being more adept to play OT if another injury occured.

Hey! That should be RuthlessBurgher and Tomlin. How dare you give that overpaid janitor top billing over me? :wink:

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Hey! That should be RuthlessBurgher and Tomlin. How dare you give that overpaid janitor top billing over me? :wink:

sorry, dont know how i didn't put you first :Cheers

Back to pouncey, i dont remember mangold, unger, wood moving asa well as he did in some of the combine drills

SS Laser
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
As far as Urbik goes he must be better then Stepleton who is a superbowl winning guard LOL! It does not look like he well be back to the steelers.
Stepleton was undrafted and better then a steelers 5th rd pick. (2007 5th rd Cameron Stephenson Rutgers)

Giants | Stapleton visits this week
Comment (0)
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:45:18 -0700

Adam Caplan, of ESPN.com, reports free-agent OG Darnell Stapleton (Steelers) visited the New York Giants this week, according to a source.

I just hope Urbik can be coached up by the new line coach so he does not end up a busted pick

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz0kdrJMx33

Shoe
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Chadman said it great: Urbik should have played this year, if he was worth a squat this year. (And BTW, I liked... and still depend on him to come along.)

However, I disagree with Chadman on Iupati vs. Pouncey. I've said this before, but the biggest problem I see on our line is stupidity.

When I say stupidity, I'm talking about stupid penalties, being able to adjust to things they see, etc. In that regard, our line is TERRIBLE. Starks, you almost feel like you could hear the gears in his head creaking when something different happens. Kemo of course, Mr. Penalty. Colon I also consider something of a mental midget.

We need smart guys. That's why I like Pouncey. Pouncey (from reports) is bright, and seems to have quickness of mind... something our lard-butt linemen don't seem to have.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Maurkice Pouncey Could Be A First Round Pick For Falcons
by Dave the Falconer on Apr 6, 2010 8:00 AM EDT

Maurkice Pouncey's got moves....for a center.

Todd McClure isn't getting any younger.

In a nutshell, that's the best argument for taking Maurkice Pouncey with the 19th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Playing a physically demanding position for 12 seasons with very few games off, celebrating your 33rd birthday and putting such a degree of strain on your knees that MacGyver can't fix them with duct tape and tinfoil isn't generally a good recipe for five more years of healthy play. Of course, McClure is tough as hell.

But if that was the only reason, why would the Falcons even consider Pouncey? It's not, of course.

Simply put, Pouncey is one of the best prospects in the draft. He just doesn't happen to be playing a position where most teams invest first round picks.

He's got terrific size for a center at about 6'5" and 305 pounds. He's a fantastic athlete, a quick study and a player who knows on an instinctual level how to block. Frankly, he does just about everything well. It's hard to quibble with his ability, outside of his tendency to be a little too aggressive and his limited experience outside of a shotgun offense. As a center, he's heads and shoulders above every other prospect in this year's draft.

Given all, the question really comes to whether or not the Falcons need a center. I don't think anyone within the range of McClure's fist (85 billion miles) wants to question his ability to play all 16 games in 2010, so it's pretty clearly not going to be this season unless Pouncey can slide to guard in case Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock get hurt or falter. That's not the likeliest of scenarios, though. If McClure decides to hang up his cleats in 2011, however, Pouncey would immediately step in as a starter, where he could anchor the offensive line for a decade to come.

He's really only a good value here if teams in front of the Falcons go out of their way to steal the prospects who top the team's big board. Pouncey's been linked to the Falcons in the past and I'm sure the interest is legitimate, I still can't picture the team making offensive line a higher priority than defense, even if I do believe we need an infusion of young talent there. In a year where the Falcons had really built the team into a vision ordained by Our Most Glorious Comrade, Pouncey might have been the likeliest pick. Where we still don't have the ability to invest early picks in luxuries, I doubt very much that this will happen.

Your thoughts?

-------
Even if this is just a speculation article, you didn't see much of this stuff with Mack from teams picking this early.

Rick Gosselin has the Atlanta Falcons picking Maurkice Pouncey at #19 in his just-released mock draft, right after the Steelers pick at #18.

so much for the naysayers who said Pouncey doesn't deserve to be picked so high...