PDA

View Full Version : Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

fordfixer
04-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 8, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75370.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675370.html)

Unrestricted free agent Nick Eason, who started five games in 2009, will re-sign Thursday with the Steelers.

"He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because of his love of the city and the team," agent David Wyatt said Wednesday night.

Wyatt said Eason, a defensive end who also visited the Arizona Cardinals, agreed to terms and the Steelers sent a contract to Georgia for him to sign.

Eason, who turns 30 next month, has served in a backup capacity the past three seasons. With veteran Travis Kirschke expected to retire, Eason's role could expand, along with Ziggy Hood, last year's first-round draft pick, and second-year-player Sunny Harris.

Eason totaled 16 tackles in eight games last season.

rpmpit
04-08-2010, 04:57 AM
I like Eason. I think this was a good move. And his cousin gave me an incredible recipe for banana pudding! :D

BradshawsHairdresser
04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
"He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because of his love of the city and the team," agent David Wyatt said Wednesday night.

Well, that would be nice.
I suspect the real reason was that no one else showed much interest in him.

Anyway, with Kirschke going out, it's good to have him on-board for depth.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
He came a long way from his first season in Pittsburgh, when he was downright awful. Now, he is a valuable veteran backup, and still at a reasonable age where he should be able to stick around for a while (6 years younger than Kirschke, and 4 years younger than Hoke).

D Rock
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
:Clap

Glad to see he's back. He's no world beater, but he's a more than adequate backup.

phillyesq
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
He came a long way from his first season in Pittsburgh, when he was downright awful. Now, he is a valuable veteran backup, and still at a reasonable age where he should be able to stick around for a while (6 years younger than Kirschke, and 4 years younger than Hoke).

:Agree

I'm glad to see him back in the fold. With Eason, Ziggy and Sonny Harris, the Steelers have a nice mix of veteran depth and young players with upside at DE.

Oviedo
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM

:Agree

I'm glad to see him back in the fold. With Eason, Ziggy and Sonny Harris, the Steelers have a nice mix of veteran depth and young players with upside at DE.

Agree. As pointed out Eason has developed into a serviceable depth player with experience in our system. It is also good to have players who want to be here and appreciate the situation.

From a draft standpoint I think this removes any consideration of DL until very late in the draft.

frankthetank1
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
its a smart move. eason is a solid back up. his first year he was awful but he has improved a ton. i remember hearing that he was out of shape in the 07 season which made a big difference

Chadman
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
The Steelers look to be targeting mid to late round DE's anyway...Mike Neal, Clifton Geathers...

aggiebones
04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
This tells me we are going after another DL and trying to mask it. Sneaky Steelers.

Eason and Harris will battle for the last spot.