PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow...Steeler?

Shawn
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I guess I'm just aching to get flamed but I was thinking (I know...very dangerous). I have been hearing some good things about Tebow as of late. Working like a dog, changing his throwing mechanics, being a very quick study, showing great improvement. I don't think you can question the man's leadership, work ethic, and competitive spirit. After seeing his response to the criticism I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL QB in the right situation and system. He is a 3 year project in my mind. Any team that can bring him in slow could be a good situation for him.

So after that rambling here is my question. If Ben gets charged before the draft and Tebow falls to us in the second...would you want to draft him?

I'm now leaning towards a yes even though I would rather have McCoy.

Discuss.

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
definetly. I agree that he's a project. in fact, I would take him in the second even if ben DOESN'T get charged.
to be successful, I think Tim needs a team with a solid starting qb. I think he'd be best in Indy, NE, Pittsburgh, or NO.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
definetly. I agree that he's a project. in fact, I would take him in the second even if ben DOESN'T get charged.
to be successful, I think Tim needs a team with a solid starting qb. I think he'd be best in Indy, NE, Pittsburgh, or NO.

A project with a very high ceiling. The thing I most like about him besides the fact that he reminds me of Ben when it comes to competition is how he responds to criticism. He works, improves, gets better. This guy is very coachable.

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I absolutely agree. Why I think he'll be good is that he will soak up EVERYTHING that goes his way. I think his style wont translate to the NFL (ie running people over), but what's great about tebow is he'll recognize that and adapt.

NW Steeler
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
He definitely is a guy that is going to work hard and do everything it takes to be successful. Whether or not he ever turns out to be a legitimate NFL QB is certainly questionable. He definitely appears to have a better work ethic than Ben. I am basing this on Ben's physical appearance, because I have no idea how hard of a worker Ben really is. He seems like the type that is just gifted physically and athletically, so he doesn't feel like he needs to work that hard.

Chadman
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Honestly- Chadman likes Tebow.

BUT...

If Ben is done, the Steelers need to show some faith in Dixon- a guy that, had it not been for injury, would have gone much higher in the draft than he did.

Drafting Tebow certainly has it's appeals, but given the current roster, Chadman would say no.

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
chadman, the thing is, if you could get him in the 2nd, he could sit as the #3 qb till batch retires. then you get to see if dixon will work out or not and eventually you have some chips for a trade if Dixon does work out. if he doesn't, then you have a qb waiting.

Chadman
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
chadman, the thing is, if you could get him in the 2nd, he could sit as the #3 qb till batch retires. then you get to see if dixon will work out or not and eventually you have some chips for a trade if Dixon does work out. if he doesn't, then you have a qb waiting.

True enough.

That said, don't want to go into the season with Dixon at 1, Batch at 2 & Tebow at 3. That essentially, is three QB's that, to be honest, might not be up to starting in 2010.

If Ben is done, give Tampa a 5th for Leftwich.

The Man of Steel
04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
In NFL history left-handed QB's like Tebow are longshots at best.

http://greatsportsnamehalloffame.blogsp ... anded.html (http://greatsportsnamehalloffame.blogspot.com/2008/08/complete-list-of-left-handed.html)

Chucktownsteeler
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I am all for Tebow. He has heart, character, determination, and the will to succeed. Plus all he does is win.

Also would send a great message.

However, cold-cut boy told me I was crazy.

Chucktown

WoodleyofTroy
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
If he lands on a team like the Steelers Patriots or Colts, winning franchises, and is learning behind those QB's, can you imagine the trade value he'd have 2 or 3 years down the road?

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
If he lands on a team like the Steelers Patriots or Colts, winning franchises, and is learning behind those QB's, can you imagine the trade value he'd have 2 or 3 years down the road?
that's exactly my point.

flippy
04-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Rivers has a mediocre arm and look how well he's done while others with great arms have been horrible. QBs are just a tough call.

But I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him. He seems like more of a round 6 or 7 prospect. Maybe 5 because he was a winner.

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM

True enough.

That said, don't want to go into the season with Dixon at 1, Batch at 2 & Tebow at 3. That essentially, is three QB's that, to be honest, might not be up to starting in 2010.

If Ben is done, give Tampa a 5th for Leftwich.
If Ben isn't here next season, then we're not really going to be looking forward to a great season.
Do you really see Leftwich as anything more than a stop gap? I mean really, any way you look at it, without ben we don't have a chance next year. with Tebow, you'd actually have something to look forward too though...

frankthetank1
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
i dont know if tebow can play qb in the nfl but i would like the pick at round 3 or later. he is a high character guy and he has a great work ethic

Shawn
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with you Birt. Leftwich? The guy isn't even a quality stop gap. I would rather have Dixon and Tebow than Dixon and Leftwich. Why? Because, honestly if Dixon is our starting QB...for at least one season we will not be SB caliber. Could he be a great QB? Well, I was a fan in college. I think he looked reasonably good last season. I think he has potential. With that said, I would love to have Tebow in the wings...learning and developing...giving us two shots at a potential franchise QB. We can't win a SB with Leftwich...so why have him? Develop your young talent...so that we can be competitive sooner rather than later.

frankthetank1
04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I have to agree with you Birt. Leftwich? The guy isn't even a quality stop gap. I would rather have Dixon and Tebow than Dixon and Leftwich. Why? Because, honestly if Dixon is our starting QB...for at least one season we will not be SB caliber. Could he be a great QB? Well, I was a fan in college. I think he looked reasonably good last season. I think he has potential. With that said, I would love to have Tebow in the wings...learning and developing...giving us two shots at a potential franchise QB. We can't win a SB with Leftwich...so why have him? Develop your young talent...so that we can be competitive sooner rather than later.

leftwich was great a couple of years ago when he played for the steelers. last year he was pathetic but any qb especially not a mobile qb would of stunk on the bucs. i would rather have leftwich starting games then any rookie qb. especially a rookie qb out of this draft class

Steel Life
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Not in the 2nd or 3rd...4th, maybe because he just doesn't seem like a franchise QB - except for his "leadership" qualities. But aside from that, he doesn't read defenses well, stares down his receivers, doesn't seem to be able to throw the ball in the "windows" the NFL needs one to & his arm is questionable.

If I want a QB to develop...bring in Skelton or Hiller & leave Tebow-mania to some other team.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I would rather attempt to land LeFevour or Pike in the 3rd or 4th or John Skelton out of Fordham in the 6th or 7th. Even Jonathan Crompton from Tennessee is interesting and could be had in the 6th or 7th round or even possibly undrafted. 2nd round pick for Tebow seems like too big a load to shoot on him. I like his tenacity and leadership though.

rpmpit
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I guess I'm just aching to get flamed but I was thinking (I know...very dangerous). I have been hearing some good things about Tebow as of late. Working like a dog, changing his throwing mechanics, being a very quick study, showing great improvement. I don't think you can question the man's leadership, work ethic, and competitive spirit. After seeing his response to the criticism I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL QB in the right situation and system. He is a 3 year project in my mind. Any team that can bring him in slow could be a good situation for him.

So after that rambling here is my question. If Ben gets charged before the draft and Tebow falls to us in the second...would you want to draft him?

Discuss.

Armpit's FB post from March 9th:
When Ben became a Steeler, he said his goal was to win 5 Super Bowls - one more than Bradshaw. He's well on his way to accomplishing that, but his behavior over the past few years has been anything but Steeler-like. Guilty or not, he has to stop putting himself in these types of situations. That being said, don't be ...surprised if we take Tim Tebow at #18. Tebow has Pittsburgh Steeler written all over him.

Asian's reply:
I would poop egg rolls.

Shawn's reply:
If we take Tebow...you will see a grown man cry

So do I get a Nostradamus Award for this or what??? :Bow to me!! :lol:

Shoe
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I have a hard time believing that scouts/teams can be that wrong about one of the most scrutinized players in CF history, at a position that people reach to draft any numbnuts that has an inkling of ability (JP Losman, McNown, Dan McGwire...)

I do like him as a player though. One thing, in evaluating players, that is overlooked IMO is the intensity guys bring to the table. This guy seems to have Ray Lewis/Peezy-type intensity & motor. This is a huge trait.

Lebsteel
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I love Tebow as a man and what he stands for and how he conducts his life. BUT, as a football player, I don't think I would take him in Rd. 2, a little later for sure. I don't think he will last into Rd. 3.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Discuss.

When Ben became a Steeler, he said his goal was to win 5 Super Bowls - one more than Bradshaw. He's well on his way to accomplishing that, but his behavior over the past few years has been anything but Steeler-like. Guilty or not, he has to stop putting himself in these types of situations. That being said, don't be ...surprised if we take Tim Tebow at #18. Tebow has Pittsburgh Steeler written all over him.

Asian's reply:
I would poop egg rolls.

Shawn's reply:

I have come a long way on Tebow. What won me over was his response to criticism. For me...that's one of the greatest attributes of a good QB. I love the fact that people are starting to notice him looking more and more like an NFL caliber QB.

birtikidis
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm not sold on Pike. He's too fragile.
I don't know alot about Levour...
I know Tim and his work ethic though. Tell him he can't do something.

papillon
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I love Tebow as a man and what he stands for and how he conducts his life. BUT, as a football player, I don't think I would take him in Rd. 2, a little later for sure. I don't think he will last into Rd. 3.

Quoted for truth and I hope he makes me look like a fool saying that he's 4th rounder at best. I'd like to see him succeed. The Steelers have a Heisman candidate on their roster already, give him a chance, he's more ready than Tebow.

Pappy

SteelCzar76
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
As a man of Honor,..i would be hard pressed to pass on Tebow in the second were Roethlisberger to be charged. I think that he has what it takes to defy most expectations at the next level. (He was born with it)

But,...being as though i think Ryan Mallet actually has the ability and drive to be dominant at the position at league level,... i'd stand fast for now. Though again,..it would be a very tough call were Tebow to actually be on the board when we pick in the second round.

feltdizz
04-08-2010, 01:13 AM
The Tebow hype is insane to me. He was underwhelming at the Senior Bowl, 2 strip fumbles and going into the game this was the scouts #1 concern. Then 2 months later he reveals a new throwing motion at his pro day ...and it still looked pretty close to the old motion

Whats the point of a slower, less athletic Dixon being drafted right now? I can't see how Tebow's morals and hard work will translate into success on the field without a lot of work and I think we have more pressing needs.

Even if Ben is locked up... No thanks.

rpmpit
04-08-2010, 05:01 AM

Discuss.

Asian's reply:
I would poop egg rolls.

Shawn's reply:

I have come a long way on Tebow. What won me over was his response to criticism. For me...that's one of the greatest attributes of a good QB. I love the fact that people are starting to notice him looking more and more like an NFL caliber QB.

What boggles the mind is that so many "sure things" end up in the toilet. And you get a Tom Brady in the 6th round. But you still have the "experts" saying Tebow won't be a good qb in the NFL. If you watch Total Access, you'll know that Mayock is on board with Tebow. But Charlie Cassel (sp?) seems to have a personal vendetta against the kid. Wherever he goes, I wish Tim nothing but success. And I'm pretty sure he'll find it.

JTP53609
04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I have always like Tebow, what is there not to like, he hustles, he is a leader (albeit corny, but still) he will do whatever he needs to do to make himself better for the team, and he also seems to have his head on right, I would take him because he has a desire to want to get better, I coach baseaball and I would much rather have a roster full of good ball players who hustle and want to get better than a group of cocky arrogant uncoachable players....

Mick'sTeam
04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I would take him in a heartbeat. Not only is he a winner, but I would be confident that he wouldn't even put himself in the position to have his character & behavior questioned.

papillon
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I would take him in a heartbeat. Not only is he a winner, but I would be confident that he wouldn't even put himself in the position to have his character & behavior questioned.

I like all that about him as well, but, it's a big risk to take him and expect 21 years of doing something one way to be changed overnight and him be successful at the NFL level. There are no bad players in the NFL only some that are better than others.

Pappy

stlrz d
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Just say no to Tebow.

SteelAbility
04-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I could go for Tebow as a Steeler but only under two conditions ...

1) This Ben debacle really turns out to be a debacle
2) We take him no higher than 3rd round

I saw a Y! link indicating he might actually be pushing a top-10 pick, so I seriously doubt it's going to happen.