bye bye holmes.

ikestops85
04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
bye bye holmes.

Hello Limas :shock:

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
bye bye holmes.

I think there is a pretty good chance you see Holmes involved in a draft day trade.

This does 3 things for them.

1. they get something for him v. nothing, and no longer have to be concerned about the prima donna contract he is going to want.
2. they avoid having to deal with whatever issue is pending- and put forward the "we dont behave like that here" message.
3. eliminate any possible league/union/media scrutiny about disparity in response/punishment of two players- Ben/Holmes.

papillon
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Smokescreen...

Not drafting a WR high in this draft, IMO

Pappy

Dee Dub
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
bye bye holmes.

I think there is a pretty good chance you see Holmes involved in a draft day trade.

1. they get something for him v. nothing, and no longer have to be concerned about the prima donna contract he is going to want.
2. they avoid having to deal with whatever issue is pending- and put forward the "we dont behave like that here" message.
3. eliminate any possible league/union/media scrutiny about disparity in response/punishment of two players- Ben/Holmes.

Agreed!!! And at this stage (entering the draft),...honestly...who is a higher rate WR? I think both Bryant and Tate are. I personally think Bryant is a future problem himself and would touch him but Tate is very intriguing. Especially if it can be done with a trade down.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
bye bye holmes.

They wouldn't get "nothing"...they would get a third in compensation.

Second Dez Bryant? Are they serious? Why not bring in Pacman Jones for a spin at DB while they are at it? Bryant for Holmes is a vertical move on the douchebag meter. They both have issues. Bryant is rumored to be highly immature...will need a full time baby sitter just to make practice.

I really like Golden but I don't think the Steelers will take him at 18. I would be ok if we brought him in...but not at 18. I wonder if they will move down and use the Holmes pick which would likely be a mid second rounder to get two late firsts. If that happened they still might be able to grab Pouncey and Golden Tate. I would be very happy with those selections. However, I am not happy with trading Holmes. I know he is bad press but the guy can play...it's not like he is out shooting people.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":38eaimlf]bye bye holmes.

Agreed!!! And at this stage (entering the draft),...honestly...who is a higher rate WR? I think both Bryant and Tate are. I personally think Bryant is a future problem himself and would touch him but Tate is very intriguing. Especially if it can be done with a trade down.[/quote:38eaimlf]

I don't know that they'd take a WR early- unless they are able to get a 2nd or 3rd for Holmes. (i think you'd more likely see Holmes coupled with a pick to move up- and a conditional pick next year based upon productivity.)

I think the team is OK with moving forward this season w/o Holmes.
They use Holmes to move up in the 2nd- get a conditional pick next season... see how Sweed pans out this year.

or maybe- just maybe- they grab Benn in the 2nd using the above strategy.

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Dee Dub
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM

When have the Steelers ever gotten a 3rd for any player in compensation?

Let's say they do..thats soemwhere around the 93rd to 95th pick. Why not trade him for someones 3rd round pick? and gain maybe some 15-20 spots in the draft.

calmkiller
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Let's say they do..thats soemwhere around the 93rd to 95th pick. Why not trade him for someones 3rd round pick? and gain maybe some 15-20 spots in the draft.

But Comp picks are based on what you gain vs what you lose. He would be a loss vs what you gain next year. So you can't just say we will get a 5th. Next year we won't get any picks for Parker because we brought in Allen, Battle, ARE, and whoever else.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 11:52 AM

But Comp picks are based on what you gain vs what you lose. He would be a lose vs what you gain next year. So you can't just say we will get a 5th. Next year we won't get any picks for Parker because we brought in Allen, Battle, ARE, and whoever else.

exactly-

plus, that would be a pick 3 drafts from now- 2012 - assuming the CBA issues are resolved.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

But Comp picks are based on what you gain vs what you lose. He would be a lose vs what you gain next year. So you can't just say we will get a 5th. Next year we won't get any picks for Parker because we brought in Allen, Battle, ARE, and whoever else.

exactly-

plus, that would be a pick 3 drafts from now- 2012 - assuming the CBA issues are resolved.

Not sure if I am misreading what your intent is here, but there is a draft in 2011 even if there is a lockout....pretty sure anyway...

calmkiller
04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Not sure if I am misreading what your intent is here, but there is a draft in 2011 even if there is a lockout....pretty sure anyway...

There is a draft in 2011 yes. But Holmes would not net us a pick until the 2012 draft which is 3 drafts away. This year's, 2011's in which Holmes would be playing for his new FA team. That's the year the Playing time the player receives with the new team is factored into the calculations for comp picks. Then we would receive the pick in the 2012 draft. Holmes is still under contract this year. So he wouldn't be a FA until 2011.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 12:22 PM

There is a draft in 2011 yes. But Holmes would not net us a pick until the 2012 draft which is 3 drafts away. This year's, 2011's in which Holmes would be playing for his new FA team. That's the year the Playing time the player receives with the new team is factored into the calculations for comp picks. Then we would receive the pick in the 2012 draft. Holmes is still under contract this year. So he wouldn't be a FA until 2011.

Yeah, that is what I was trying to convey.

My comment regarding the CBA issue- was the whole "up in the air" aspect. Who knows what is going to happen, or how it will shake out.

ramblinjim
04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Interesting scenario: We trade Holmes to the Red Skins to give McNabb someone to throw the ball to and our 18 spot for their 4 spot. Then we draft "a boy named" Suh for Dline... Or McCoy or the LT from OSU.

SteelBucks
04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Smokescreen...

Not drafting a WR high in this draft, IMO

Pappy

Exactly.

spyboots
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Because you never know what might happen in the draft. Maybe one of them will fall to a point where we feel we might can trade up. I don't think it has anything to do with Holmes.

Lebsteel
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Interesting scenario: We trade Holmes to the Red Skins to give McNabb someone to throw the ball to and our 18 spot for their 4 spot. Then we draft "a boy named" Suh for Dline... Or McCoy or the LT from OSU.
I'd be very, very excited about that trade if we got Suh, but the reality is he will probably go 2 or 3, so would we want Okung as our future LT and then what happens to Starks? He moves back to RT? Maybe, but I think I might want to take a difference maker on defense like Eric Berry or Joe Haden. But, not sure I'd want them at #4.

Jom112
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
@RavensInsider RB LeGarrette Blount visiting the Steelers today as well as LBs Koa Misi and Adrian Tracy; OT Bryan Bulaga visited Tuesday.

Dee Dub
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM

No team in the NFL will give the Steelers a first round pick for Santonio Holmes...let alone the number 4 pick in the first round. Not gonna happen. Sorry.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 01:18 PM

No team in the NFL will give the Steelers a first round pick for Santonio Holmes...let alone the number 4 pick in the first round. Not gonna happen. Sorry.

I think they'll try to trade down though. Meaning the Redskins...(If I recall- they have only 4 picks this year after the trade) actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers trade down in the 1st & up in the 2nd.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM

I think they'll try to trade down though. Meaning the Redskins...(If I recall- they have only 4 picks this year after the trade) actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers trade down in the 1st & up in the 2nd.

What if the Steelers used their first and Holmes to #4-7 and grab Berry? I think Holmes could warrant a move up 11-15 in the first. We could then package some picks to move up in the second if Golden Tate was still there.

A draft with Berry and Tate would be pretty nice.

feltdizz
04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
We have cops witnessing the victim rubbing Holmes face after the incident. This isn't Cedric Wilson's girl with a gun shutting down a suburb..

Holmes will not get traded this year. He is way too valuable to our offense and Hines is old and hammy downed. I would be very surprised if Holmes was even suspended looking at the evidence.

flippy
04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
How bout we just keep Santonio. He had about 80 catches and 1200 yards last season. And he's gotten better every season. Plus he scores TDs when we get in the playoffs.

We're going on a SuperBowl run this year. Forget about trading Holmes. It's not happening.

PS. I hate his bicep flex.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
We have cops witnessing the victim rubbing Holmes face after the incident. This isn't Cedric Wilson's girl with a gun shutting down a suburb..

Holmes will not get traded this year. He is way too valuable to our offense and Hines is old and hammy downed. I would be very surprised if Holmes was even suspended looking at the evidence.

Could be-

And I think the "incident" at the club is not the big problem for the Steelers.

I think they are likely more concerned about the overall pattern of behavior- and
announcing to the world that you are about to get high. That is- do something illegal, and frowned upon heavily by the league- which would induce another suspension. Add that to the moron telling some dummy to kill themselves...

The Rooneys and their new investors can't be happy with that, at all.

Snatch98
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
bye bye holmes.

Won't happen and this stance is getting old to be honest. Holmes isn't going to be traded and we aren't drafting a QB high in the draft or trading for one.

ANPSTEEL
04-07-2010, 02:04 PM
bye bye holmes.

Won't happen and this stance is getting old to be honest. Holmes isn't going to be traded and we aren't drafting a QB high in the draft or trading for one.

You may not think Holmes is going to be traded, but there is certainly enough evidence to support his departure.

Sugar
04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
How bout we just keep Santonio. He had about 80 catches and 1200 yards last season. And he's gotten better every season. Plus he scores TDs when we get in the playoffs.

We're going on a SuperBowl run this year. Forget about trading Holmes. It's not happening.

PS. I hate his bicep flex.

:Agree

Yes, Yes and Yes

Snatch98
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
bye bye holmes.

You may not think Holmes is going to be traded, but there is certainly enough evidence to support his departure.

A couple of weed run ins? and a bs assault charge? I'm not going to sit here and act like Santonio is a saint and my position on weed is pretty lax. Although I do get it's frowned upon to a greater degree by the league. I just don't think Santonio Holmes is the catastrophic headache everyone is making him out to be...I dunno. Either way he's not going to be traded. The whip will be cracked and the problem will be addressed or he will be gone.

WoodleyofTroy
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

See: Plaxico Burress

All productive first round picks get compensated in the 3rd. Only reason we didn't get one for Faneca is because he played 10+ seasons.

Btw, Bengals got a 3rd for Houshmanzadeh.

WoodleyofTroy
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
bye bye holmes.

Prima donna is holding out asking for a raise in the current contract ala Roddy White. Holmes could of done the same after that Super Bowl hype. White was drafted around the same spot as Holmes.

WoodleyofTroy
04-07-2010, 02:51 PM
What I think is. They love Golden Tate to replace Hines. And they are covering that up by also bringing in Dez Bryant at the same time.

Nothing to do with Holmes, and more to do with a Hines replacement and lack of productivity from Sweed.

ramblinjim
04-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Throw in our 18? Would Holmes be worth 14 spots? Not sure.

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2010, 03:42 PM

According to the trade value chart, the #18 pick is worth 900 points, and the #4 pick is worth double that...1800 points.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 03:47 PM

According to the trade value chart, the #18 pick is worth 900 points, and the #4 pick is worth double that...1800 points.

So, to move up to 4...realistically we would have to give up Holmes, our #1 and a #2.

Shawn
04-07-2010, 03:49 PM

All productive first round picks get compensated in the 3rd. Only reason we didn't get one for Faneca is because he played 10+ seasons.

$$$$

Dee Dub
04-07-2010, 05:03 PM

$$$$

Ok so we wait and get say the 94th as compensation.....shouldnt we trade him for someones original 3rd round pick? And move up say 15-20 spots from there?

papillon
04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
bye bye holmes.

A couple of weed run ins? and a bs assault charge? I'm not going to sit here and act like Santonio is a saint and my position on weed is pretty lax. Although I do get it's frowned upon to a greater degree by the league. I just don't think Santonio Holmes is the catastrophic headache everyone is making him out to be...I dunno. Either way he's not going to be traded. The whip will be cracked and the problem will be addressed or he will be gone.

I agree I don't see him as, as you put it, a "catastrophic headache", a pain in the @ss, maybe, but not the headache. I don't see him going anywhere and I don't see a WR in the first three rounds this year.

Pappy

frankthetank1
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
What I think is. They love Golden Tate to replace Hines. And they are covering that up by also bringing in Dez Bryant at the same time.

Nothing to do with Holmes, and more to do with a Hines replacement and lack of productivity from Sweed.

oh no i seriously hope they dont think tate can replace hines. no way they will be able to get bryant although he will be a great wr in the nfl. no way do i think tate will be a great wr in the nfl