PDA

View Full Version : Rams release Marc Bulger

PSU_dropout43
04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
'Tis the season for unloading expensive veteran quarterbacks.

The Rams announced the release of quarterback Marc Bulger Monday on his 33rd birthday, ending an eight-year run with the team that began brilliantly but fell apart the last three seasons.

The decline of the Rams' franchise can be traced in Bulger's W/L loss record. His first three years he went 26-10 in starts. His last three years: 5-32.

Bulger was scheduled to make $8.5 million in 2010 and was never expected to remain with the team. We're trying to figure out why they dumped him now instead of one week ago or after the draft. (UPDATE: Duh. Mort writes that Bulger was on Washington's radar and his presence kept St. Louis' options for trading down open.)

Arizona was believed to have interest in Bulger previously, but appear fully stocked at quarterback now. Chicago makes a lot of sense as a destination.

Shawn
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Bulger >>>> Batch

fezziwig
04-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Bulger can thank the Steelers for his job with the Rams he came in here and put it to the Steelers hence, a star was born. I always thought the Rams screwed up in a big way by keeping him over Warner.

PSU_dropout43
04-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Bulger >>>> Batch
Bulger $$$ >>>> Batch $

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Bulger >>>> Batch
Bulger $$$ >>>> Batch $

Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room. Right now, we can use as many of those kind of guys as we can get.

rpmpit
04-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Because of how the Rams handled the Warner/Bulger transition, I always found myself rooting against Bulger. Funny how Warner's career took off again and Bulger's basically ended up in the toilet.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Bulger >>>> Batch
Bulger $$$ >>>> Batch $

Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room. Right now, we can use as many of those kind of guys as we can get.

Bulger is also a Pittsburgh guy (graduated from Pittsburgh Central Catholic H.S.) and also has been quite charitable since entering the league. He was the only NFL player listed among the "Giving Back 30" in Parade Magazine in 2008, which is a list of celebrities who have made the largest donations to charity according to public records (Oscar de la Hoya and Yao Ming were the only other athletes ahead of him on that list).

http://www.givingback.org/Programs_Services/GivingBack30_2008.html

17 Marc Bulger $1,342,000 Marc Bulger Foundation to support varous St. Louis charities including the local Make-A-Wish-Foundation and the USO area at Lambert airport.

Note that in addition to the all the St. Louis based charities listed below, his Celebrity Golf Invitational benefits the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh.

http://www.stlsports.org/awards07/bios

Marc Bulger
St. Louis Rams

Few players have emerged as leaders – both on the field and in the community – as quickly and unexpectedly as Marc did in 2002. Thrust into the starting lineup having never taken an NFL regular season snap, Marc led the Rams to victories in his first six starts that season and never looked back. Since then, the Pittsburgh native has completed 64.4 percent of his passes for 16,233 yards and 95 touchdowns while leading the Rams to two playoff berths and the 2003 NFC West Division title. Seemingly unstoppable inside the Edward Jones Dome, Marc has also impressed St. Louisans by sharing his talents with the community. He has taken part in numerous Rams charity initiatives, including Hometown Huddle, Bowl-a-RAM-a, Football University, and Get Into the Game. Local chapters of the United Way, the Epilepsy Foundation, and ALIVE (Alternatives to Living in Violent Environments) have all benefited from Marc’s efforts, along with thousands of kids throughout St. Louis. In 2006, Marc served as the honorary host for the 11th annual Make-A-Wish Celebrity Dinner. The event raised more than $100,000 for the St. Louis chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Marc also gives back to his hometown, annually hosting the Marc Bulger Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh. The 2007 event raised more than $157,000.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Both Adam Schefter and Kevin Seifert mention Bulger as a possibility for Pittsburgh (or Pittsburgh West, of course)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#4128

Bulger as 'Berger insurance?
8:35 AM ET
Marc Bulger | Rams | Interested: Steelers?, Bears?, Cardinals?, Jets?, Buccaneers?, Lions?

We'd always believed that it wasn't a case of "if" Marc Bulger would be released, but when. The St. Louis Rams are poised to select QB Sam Bradford first overall, and Bulger was poised to make close to $8 million in 2010. It didn't add up, so the news that he was released was unsurprising.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter had a very intriguing tweet in the wake of Bulger's release, that he could end up in Arizona to compete with Derek Anderson and Matt Leinart, or with the Steelers, as Ben Roethlisberger insurance.

Kevin Seifert
Cutler, Bulger, Martz in love triangle

"Bulger played for Martz in St. Louis, but ultimately the Bears can't offer him much in the way of playing time with starter Jay Cutler in place. For that reason, Bulger might be more interested in Arizona or Pittsburgh."

aggiebones
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Bulger needs a year on some bench somewhere to get hungry and heal.
He's of NO value to anyone right now.

Dee Dub
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
[Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room.

Problem is my Hawaiian Brother---Charlie Batch is not a valuable presence on the field. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
[Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room.

Problem is my Hawaiian Brother---Charlie Batch is not a valuable presence on the field. :wink:

good point! :lol:

Steelers | Bulger could be interested in signing

Tue, 06 Apr 2010

Sean Jensen, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports free-agent QB Marc Bulger (Rams) might be drawn to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source. Bulger could be a valuable backup to QB Ben Roethlisberger, who might face charges related to an alleged sexual assault. Bulger is also a Pittsburgh native.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#636883#ixzz0kLUmto1F

frankthetank1
04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

and bulger is a valuable presence on the field? charlie may have a few years on bulger but he is just as fragile as batch

Dee Dub
04-06-2010, 08:14 PM

and bulger is a valuable presence on the field? charlie may have a few years on bulger but he is just as fragile as batch

Stay on task Frank. My quote wasnt about Bulger. It was able Batch. I know it's hard my man....but you can do it.

:HeadBanger

SS Laser
04-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Who's better right now. Bulger or leftwich?

frankthetank1
04-07-2010, 10:09 AM
[quote=hawaiiansteel][Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room.

Stay on task Frank. My quote wasnt about Bulger. It was able Batch. I know it's hard my man....but you can do it.

:HeadBanger[/quote:2eris2e4]

oh i know it was about batch. my point is batch is just as good or better than some of the washed up retreds that are available to play second or third string qb.

i would say leftwich is a lot better than bulger. at least charlie use to be a good qb in the nfl. i cant say that about bulger

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
[quote=hawaiiansteel][Charlie Batch is very active in the Pittsburgh community and is a valuable presence in the locker room.

:HeadBanger

oh i know it was about batch. my point is batch is just as good or better than some of the washed up retreds that are available to play second or third string qb.

i would say leftwich is a lot better than bulger. at least charlie use to be a good qb in the nfl. i cant say that about bulger[/quote:1fgd9qq8]

What? Bulger is a two-time Pro Bowler. Batch? Not so much.

Bulger has a 62.1 completion percentage with 22,814 passing yards, 122 TD's, 93 INT's, and career passer rating of 84.4. In Bulger's most statistically productive season, he threw for 4,301 yards, 24 TD's, and 8 INT's.

Batch has a 56.1 completion percentage with 10,050 passing yards, 57 TD's, 44 INT's, and career passer rating of 77.9. In Batch's most statistically productive season, he threw for 2,489 yards, 13 TD's, and 15 INT's.

It's not even remotely close here.

ikestops85
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I would certainly rather have Bulger as a backup over Batch. I'm a big Batch fan but he is just too fragile. I think we should retain him as a coach and sign Bulger if possible. I think Bulger is much better than Leftwich also. Bulger was a very good QB with the Rams until his line crumbled around him. He handled the punishment for awhile but then developed "happy feet".

Discipline of Steel
04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Would Mark Bulger be happy as a #3 QB?

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Would Mark Bulger be happy as a #3 QB?

If he plays better than Dixon in pre-season and in practice, then he'd be #2 instead of #3. It would all be up to him (and Dixon). Dixon isn't just going to be handed the #2 spot because he is the young, promising guy. He still has to beat out whatever other QB's we have on the roster to earn the backup role.

Discipline of Steel
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Thats exactly my point. Dixon is a great young player who has been in the system for a couple years now. Bulgers is past his apogee and may not win the #2 position, past heroics aside.

It would be great for our depth if we did sign him though, especially if Ben will be missing any games. Leftwich is not nearly as good.

Chadman
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Don't all get yor knickers in a knot- Bulger hasn't signed anywhere yet, and Ben's case can still turn southward...still time to get your wish & have Bulger on the roster before kick-off time...

steelblood
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
i still don't see why we had to sign Batch to a two year deal. That was silly. Anyone know his guaranteed money?