PDA

View Full Version : McNabb headed to Washington

PSU_dropout43
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles have reached agreement on a blockbuster intra-division trade that will send perennial Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

The two sides still must finalize language, but McNabb is now headed to Washington. Sources said the deal involved the Redskins' second-round pick in the 2010 draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year, depending on several factors.

The move means the Redskins now have a new starting quarterback and the Eagles have a new one as well in Kevin Kolb. Michael Vick is now in line as the team's backup.

Earlier, sources said McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, scared off several other teams. McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 and is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

At the league meetings, head coach Andy Reid said the Eagles were listening to offers for all three quarterbacks, including 11-year veteran McNabb, who quickly said on his Web site that he wanted a quick resolution to the trade conversations.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 08:50 PM
i'm very surprised the Eagles didn't trade McNabb out of their own division, thus giving McNabb two chances at revenge.

guess this frees Washington up to draft an OT like Russell Okung with the #4 overall pick.

Sugar
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, this is almost like us sending Big Ben to the Browns. I'm really surprised they did this within their own division.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
How little they must think of McNabb to let him go within the division for only a second and conditional pick.

MaxAMillion
04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
This is a good move for the Redskins. If I am an EAgle fan, I am pissed that McNabb got traded within the division. I don't know why Andy Reid was so worried about making things good for McNabb. I could see Shanahan turning things around in Washington with McNabb. I think the Skins might pass the Eagles this year.

feltdizz
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
How can you trade McNabb to a rival? They finally get a decent WR and ship McNabb... makes no sense at all.

NKySteeler
04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
There was talk last week about Philly shopping McNabb for a top pick in the 2nd round... So as to have the whole day (after the first round in prime time) to decide strategy... Looks like they got what they wanted.

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
McNabb really likes to throw the ball to his RB's.

With McNabb throwing to him, Brian Westbrook had a season with 90+ catches, plus 2 seasons with 70+ catches, a season with 60+ catches, and a season with 50+ catches.

None of the current Redskin RB's have come close to that level of performance, and Willie Parker seems to be the least suited to benefit from McNabb coming on board.

Clinton Portis: 242 career receptions including 2 seasons with 40+ and 3 seasons with 30+ catches.

Larry Johnson: 154 career receptions including 1 season with 40+ and 2 seasons with 30+ catches.

Willie Parker: 84 career receptions including no seasons with 40+ and only 1 season with 30+ catches.

This trade could really hurt Willie Parker's chances of making the team. It was announced that he could make up to $3.1 million with Washington this season, but I never heard anything about the guaranteed money they are giving him. They could just cut him outright in training camp when they realize he can't catch much out of the backfield and only owe him the signing bonus they gave him (which can't be all that much). Sucks for FWP.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
How little they must think of McNabb to let him go within the division for only a second and conditional pick.

I think what scared off a lot of teams and kept McNabb's trade value down was his contract which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, and especially a $6.2 million roster bonus which is due next month.

teams were afraid that if they couldn't re-sign McNabb they might only be renting him for a year, and that is an awful lot of money to have to pay him right away. and if you franchise McNabb you'll be paying him insane money.

but that obviously doesn't bother Daniel Snyder.

feltdizz
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Willie can catch.. we just stopped throwing to him. He doesn't have the best hands but he can catch well enough to really do well with a QB who checks down early and often.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
This is a good move for the Redskins. If I am an EAgle fan, I am pissed that McNabb got traded within the division. I don't know why Andy Reid was so worried about making things good for McNabb. I could see Shanahan turning things around in Washington with McNabb. I think the Skins might pass the Eagles this year.

Redskins officially welcome Donovan McNabb

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2010

Though the press conference introducing Donovan McNabb as the next quarterback of the Redskins won't occur until Monday, his new team officially welcomed him via a Sunday night press release.

"Donovan is an accomplished quarterback who has been a proven winner in the National Football League," coach Mike Shanahan said. "I have long admired his competitiveness and feel he will be an outstanding addition to the Redskins and our community. He knows our division and the roadmap to success in the NFC East. He will set a high standard of excellence and we are very excited to welcome Donovan to the Washington Redskins."

Possible translation? "We fleeced those bastards."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... an-mcnabb/

SteelBucks
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
i'm very surprised the Eagles didn't trade McNabb out of their own division.....

That's the only complaint of Eagles fans here in Philly.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
i'm very surprised the Eagles didn't trade McNabb out of their own division.....

was it because McNabb never could deliver that Super Bowl victory?

NJ-STEELER
04-04-2010, 11:59 PM
portis can catch out ofthe backfield.

now with the eagles high 2nd rder..... TEBOW TO philly?

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 12:06 AM

the Eagles still have Kolb and Vick, do you think they'll invest a high draft choice on another QB?

SteelBucks
04-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Most are happy that he's gone but they don't like the fact he was traded to a division rival. McNabb has been a punching bag for fans since day one and they began to dislike him more because he never won a championship. I'd laugh my @ss off at Eagles fans if he won one in Washington (as long as it's not against the Steelers).

SteelBucks
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM

the Eagles still have Kolb and Vick, do you think they'll invest a high draft choice on another QB?

IMO, no. Kolb is the starter, Vick is the backup and they'll draft a #3 but it won't be a high pick. They're committed to Kolb and they want to extend his contract. I can't see the Eagles investing more top dollar money at QB.

Sugar
04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Just a couple years ago if someone had told me that Favre would be a Viking and McNabb a Redskin I'd have laughed at them.

flippy
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm sure the Redskins will be running FWP until the wheels fall off.

Chadman
04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Call Chadman crazy, but there was a small part of him hoping McNabb wouldn't be traded until Ben's case had been sorted.....

Can never understand the hate for McNabb, who is a classy, good QB. He has been asked, essentially, to carry that teams passing game with little to no help, for years.

phillyesq
04-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Most are happy that he's gone but they don't like the fact he was traded to a division rival. McNabb has been a punching bag for fans since day one and they began to dislike him more because he never won a championship. I'd laugh my @ss off at Eagles fans if he won one in Washington (as long as it's not against the Steelers).

The eagles fans I know seem to be falling into two camps. Some have had enough of McNabb and are glad to see him go, with their only disappointment being that he was traded in the division. There also seem to be a few hardcore McNabb supporters who are upset to see him go, and more upset to see him go within the division.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Call Chadman crazy, but there was a small part of him hoping McNabb wouldn't be traded until Ben's case had been sorted.....

Can never understand the hate for McNabb, who is a classy, good QB. He has been asked, essentially, to carry that teams passing game with little to no help, for years.

And now that he has that help (young weapons like Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek), they trade him away to a division rival.

frankthetank1
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM

And now that he has that help (young weapons like Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek), they trade him away to a division rival.

yeah what a smart move haha. they are finally building an offense a qb can do something with. all those years mcnabb had no weapons. one season he had TO, and philly fans still hate mcnabb. you would think they would have more love for mcnabb and hate andy reid. i would blame reid more or just as much for not winning a sb than mcnabb. philly fans are idiots

ikestops85
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM

yeah what a smart move haha. they are finally building an offense a qb can do something with. all those years mcnabb had no weapons. one season he had TO, and philly fans still hate mcnabb. you would think they would have more love for mcnabb and hate andy reid. i would blame reid more or just as much for not winning a sb than mcnabb. philly fans are idiots

I think McNabb has been highly underrated. I agree that except for Westbrook and one year with TO he has had no weapons to utilize and still carried them to 4 straight NFC Championship games.

I do hate what this trade has done to the steelers. I had the Redskins taking a QB which would leave one more position player on the board when it was the Steelers turn to pick. Now the Redskins will surely go with an offensive lineman and I don't know if anyone else in front of us will take Clausen. Maybe Buffalo.

Iron Shiek
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM

I look at it as Eagles undergoing slight rebuilding, McNabb not wanting to be a part of it, and management trying to do the right thing for him and get him to a team that might be able to compete. Because, as much hate as McNabb gets, he transforms whatever team he goes to gets a huge boost and at least should compete for the playoffs.

Eagles have shed many of their key players from the past couple years and have compiled a ton of draft picks (including the ones from the browns). I see them making waves in this draft and I think Kolb has been groomed enough to be ready to play (I kind of envision him developing similarly to Aaron Rodgers).

My brother is pi$$ed about the whole thing. He's not a Philly fan really, but is just a huge McNabb fan so he would root for them. He's denounced the Eagles and can't wait to root for the Redskins already.

ANPSTEEL
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Here is my two cents on this-

- I think the philly front office and coaching staff know more about McNabb than we do.
If they thought unloading him for a #2 and a conditional pick- was prudent, then- we'd have to figure they had their reasons.

- In respect to those reasons-( I've been following McNabb his entire career at SYU. I grew up there and am a huge cuse homer.) Donovan McNabb has unbelievable athletic ability. What he does not do, is play well within himself (particularly as he has aged)- and he does not perform well under pressure. He never has- even at Syracuse. In tight situations he'd always be smiling and laughing - seemingly trying to convince himself "its no big deal- I can do this." but he'd never pull it off. You'd see him on the sideline smiling it up- even after blowing those critical opportunities.

I think Philly had collectively realized his shortcomings and made the decision that he was not likely to be the guy to take them where they want to go- so they chose to get what they could. Even if it is to a division rival- which must say something about how they assess his skills these days. (Recall Green Bay was determined to keep Favre from going to the Vikings.)

McNabb is almost certainly an improvement over the existing QB in DC- he may help them win some more games, but he is not the long term solution.

His signing will also help lend credibility to the new front office - and improve PR with the fan base, which has been extraordinarily critical of ownership over the last couple years- and maybe that will help the team to retain some of the boat-load of season ticket holders abandoning them.

I wish #5 all the best and will continue to root for him, even though I know the ultimate outcome.

Shoe
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I've always compared McNabb's situation (and his skills, albeit a lesser version) to John Elway. For years, Elway carried his team to the edge of a title, only to be beaten by a better team. Both guys suffered from a lack of a run game.

When Terrell Davis emerged, it gave Elway's offense great balance (and actually took the onus off him), which helped propel them to championship level.

As I said, I always thought of McNabb in the same light. As big of a problem the run game was the HC (Reid) basically eschewing the run at all. I think that will continue to plague the Eagles, with Reid as coach--no continuity on offense, cause no run game. It's especially highlighted cuz they now got a potentially bellcow back in Shady McCoy.

That being said, I don't see the Redskins becoming championship level either. I don't like that they've tried to address their run game with bald tires with big names. I do see Shanahan being able to run the ball like he normally does... but I just never think going with aging old guys (e.g. Boston Celtics) works.

Shoe
04-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Here is my two cents on this-

- I think the philly front office and coaching staff know more about McNabb than we do.
If they thought unloading him for a #2 and a conditional pick- was prudent, then- we'd have to figure they had their reasons.

- In respect to those reasons-( I've been following McNabb his entire career at SYU. I grew up there and am a huge cuse homer.) Donovan McNabb has unbelievable athletic ability. What he does not do, is play well within himself (particularly as he has aged)- and he does not perform well under pressure. He never has- even at Syracuse. In tight situations he'd always be smiling and laughing - seemingly trying to convince himself "its no big deal- I can do this." but he'd never pull it off. You'd see him on the sideline smiling it up- even after blowing those critical opportunities.

I think Philly had collectively realized his shortcomings and made the decision that he was not likely to be the guy to take them where they want to go- so they chose to get what they could. Even if it is to a division rival- which must say something about how they assess his skills these days. (Recall Green Bay was determined to keep Favre from going to the Vikings.)

McNabb is almost certainly an improvement over the existing QB in DC- he may help them win some more games, but he is not the long term solution.

His signing will also help lend credibility to the new front office - and improve PR with the fan base, which has been extraordinarily critical of ownership over the last couple years- and maybe that will help the team to retain some of the boat-load of season ticket holders abandoning them.

I wish #5 all the best and will continue to root for him, even though I know the ultimate outcome.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying; I think they know (or think they know) his shortcomings, and think they can handle it when the time comes to play him. From McNabb's P.oV. (i.e. if I were him), I'd hired somebocy or get with my QB coach in WAS and say, "Hey, get with me, be honest, and let's work on my shortcomings." with the expressed goal of turning the tables on the Eagles--PAY THEM BACK.

I also agree--I DO NOT like his happy-go-lucky ACT. I mean, I'm assuming it's genuine and it's just how he is, but I don't like it.

TBH, I think Reid is as much a factor in their failings as anyone. You cannot eschew balance on offense and expect things to run good for 19 weeks.

ANPSTEEL
04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
TBH, I think Reid is as much a factor in their failings as anyone. You cannot eschew balance on offense and expect things to run good for 19 weeks.

This is a very valid point.

I think McNabb has done a great job in Philly given the consistent lack of playmakers and reliance upon him to carry the team.

Shanahan will certainly put together a more balanced offense. Maybe with some of the pressure of, McNabb will improve.

papillon
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM

I look at it as Eagles undergoing slight rebuilding, McNabb not wanting to be a part of it, and management trying to do the right thing for him and get him to a team that might be able to compete. Because, as much hate as McNabb gets, he transforms whatever team he goes to gets a huge boost and at least should compete for the playoffs.

Eagles have shed many of their key players from the past couple years and have compiled a ton of draft picks (including the ones from the browns). I see them making waves in this draft and I think Kolb has been groomed enough to be ready to play (I kind of envision him developing similarly to Aaron Rodgers).

My brother is pi$$ed about the whole thing. He's not a Philly fan really, but is just a huge McNabb fan so he would root for them. He's denounced the Eagles and can't wait to root for the Redskins already.

I hope your brother's band wagon jumping isn't contagious within the Sheik family. :stirpot :tt2

Pappy

flippy
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Wonder what happens to Jason Campbell? I kinda like him. Maybe we could snag him cheaply from Washington pending Ben's outcome.

Lebsteel
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM

I think McNabb has been highly underrated. I agree that except for Westbrook and one year with TO he has had no weapons to utilize and still carried them to 4 straight NFC Championship games.

I do hate what this trade has done to the steelers. I had the Redskins taking a QB which would leave one more position player on the board when it was the Steelers turn to pick. Now the Redskins will surely go with an offensive lineman and I don't know if anyone else in front of us will take Clausen. Maybe Buffalo.
Maybe Cleveland will want Claussen since they have no good, young QB now. If that happens then maybe Berry and Haden would drop closer to us, so we could trade up and grab one of them.

aggiebones
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Philly knows that by the time Washington gets things in place, McNabb will either be retiring on too old to lead them anywhere.
Philly had FAAAR better tools to work with than Washington, but still couldn't win it all. Washington has no chance in doing better than Philly did over the past several years. Washington may do better, but not enough to really matter.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Maybe Cleveland will want Claussen since they have no good, young QB now. If that happens then maybe Berry and Haden would drop closer to us, so we could trade up and grab one of them.

http://www.independentcritics.com/images/roger%20ebert%20thumbs%20up.jpg

feltdizz
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Philly is crazy for doing this... they give draft choices to their rival and it's not like McNabb's contract hurts Snyder's pockets.

As soon as Philly gets weapons they get rid of McNabb? This is a Pittsburgh Pirate move... I don't get it.

A lot of Philly fans are happy about this... and it's not like Vick can drop back 50 times a game with success.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Philly is crazy for doing this... they give draft choices to their rival and it's not like McNabb's contract hurts Snyder's pockets.

As soon as Philly gets weapons they get rid of McNabb? This is a Pittsburgh Pirate move... I don't get it.

A lot of Philly fans are happy about this... and it's not like Vick can drop back 50 times a game with success.

They get draft choices from a division rival. And Vick won't be their starter. Kevin Kolb will be.

Shoe
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM

They get draft choices from a division rival. And Vick won't be their starter. Kevin Kolb will be.

I can see them being excited at the prospect of this Kolb guy (I don't see it; but then again, I don't watch them much). But felt's point is that PHI seems right back in the mix, with Desean, Maclin, and McCoy now having another year under their belt. And now that they are building a pretty dynamic supporting cast, they choose to "start over" at the QB position with Kolb?

I know Kolb's not a total project like a rookie QB would be, but he WILL need time to get his pro legs so to speak... Aaron Rodgers was an example of this.

feltdizz
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Yeah messed that all up. I meant to say they give their rival a proven weapon in McNabb for a few picks.

I know Kolb is the starter but I think he will fall short and Vick is no better given Andy Reids pass happy philosophy.

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 03:14 AM
i know the Redskins were being secretive, but they should have told Campbell before announcing the trade publicly.

a real lack of class by Daniel Snyder.

Mon Apr 05, 2010

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter

Generally speaking, players would prefer to learn about trades that affect them from their actual team that way, the team can do whatever damage control is necessary and assure the player in question that he's still a crucial part of their plans. The truth may be altogether different, but damage control isn't always about the truth.

What current (soon-to-be-former?) Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell now knows is that his team didn't think enough of him to let him know when they dropped the hammer on the Donovan McNabb trade. Campbell, who's been Washington's primary quarterback since 2007, found out about the trade when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated.

Me: Did you hear about what happened?
Jason: What?
Me: The Redskins traded for Donovan.
Jason: Really? Ummm ... I didn't know that, man.
Me: I'm sorry I had to be the one who told you. I can't believe they didn't tell you.
Jason: No, that's the first I heard of it. ... I'd better go call my agent.

When I called back later, it went to voice mail. His mailbox was full.

Campbell has a first-round tender on his head that he hasn't signed, and that the Redskins will most likely rescind. According to ESPN 980, several teams are interested in Campbell's services the Bills, Raiders, Panthers and Jaguars (plus an "unknown team") are reportedly in line to make offers.

Though his performance in Washington was far from elite, it's also fair to say that Campbell never got a fair shot. He dealt with different offensive coordinators and a declining offense as the Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato "brain trust" mowed the offense down with a series of questionable moves. A new start would be best for all involved, and Campbell will most likely get it.

At this point, he's probably just hoping that when he is traded, he won't have to hear about it first from a reporter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,232069 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Campbell-found-out-about-McNabb-trade-from-repor?urn=nfl,232069)

NJ-STEELER
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM

i was just putting that out there at the time.

the last few days i was around some Philly people and they said there is some talk of it on sports radio and in the papers