PDA

View Full Version : Trade down for Pouncey, then trade up in Rounds 2 & 3

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 04:41 PM
in my opinion, one of the biggest needs we have is at the center position (the other being CB).

the Steelers tried very hard to acquire a center in last year's draft, do you think that another year of watching Justin Hartwig get no push whatsoever in the center of our line has changed the Steelers' minds to where they are not going to try to get another center again in this year's draft? and does anyone really think that Doug Legursky is good enough to be our center of the future?

so here's what i suggest -

trade down with Philadelphia at #24, acquiring their 3rd rounder (#87) in the process.
select Maurkice Pouncey at #24.

then in the 2nd round use the 3rd rounder acquired from Philadelphia along with our 2nd rounder (#52) to trade up to the top of Round 2 and draft a CB (which i perceive to be our next biggest need) such as Kareem Jackson or Devin McCourty.

this way we still have our 3rd round choice at #82 and could use our 4th rounder (#116) and/or 5th rounder (#151) to move up again in the 3rd round for a player the Steelers like.

what do you guys think?

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/07/images/tb_gators_pouncey450.jpg

NFL | Pouncey has several workouts scheduled

Sat, 03 Apr 2010

Jeremy Fowler, of the Orlando Sentinel, reports University of Florida C Maurkice Pouncey is scheduled to work out for the New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#636503#ixzz0kAZc90Nl

Shawn
04-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I love the idea. My mock reflects that I believe Pouncey will be the man. I have been resisting the urge...mainly because I sooo don't want him at 18. But at 24? An extra pick? Absolutely. If we could package an extra 3rd and 5th and grab Odrick, Tate, McCourty, or Graham etc I would be a very happy man. I do not like Kareem Jackson but I know the Steelers brought him in for a visit.

Discipline of Steel
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Again, I say keep our top pick and move up in the 2nd with our other NINE picks if we have to.

If we trade down to 24 for Pouncey, we have to do it at 18 and anything can happen between 18 and 24...in other words, you can only be certain it works if you trade up for a guy. Also, for that specific trade partner to be willing to make the trade is anything but a foregone conclusion.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I love the idea. My mock reflects that I believe Pouncey will be the man. I have been resisting the urge...mainly because I sooo don't want him at 18. But at 24? An extra pick? Absolutely. If we could package an extra 3rd and 5th and grab Odrick, Tate, McCourty, or Graham etc I would be a very happy man. I do not like Kareem Jackson but I know the Steelers brought him in for a visit.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock rates Devin McCourty as the #3 corner in the draft after Haden and Wilson and thinks McCourty might be the best special teams player in the draft.

McCourty has blocked six punts in his career and was the gunner when Rutgers punted the ball...you know how Tomlin likes those guys that can contribute on special teams.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/166348/devin_mccourty.jpg

Shawn
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah HS...I'm a fan of his as well.

Shoe
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I like this idea; Pouncey is someone I like a lot (much more than Iupati for example as O-linemen go). So if we can trade down and still get him, that's gravy.

flippy
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I've been thinking we could trade up for Pouncey in the 2nd if we like him.

And we can still do this via trading down in the 1st unless a certain player is there at 18 or we have a shot at trading up for a star.

The more I think about this, Thomas is the Steelers pick in the first round even if we have to go up and get him. He's super young, super athletic, and he's got character.

Earl Thomas has Mike Tomlin type of player written all over him.

Throw need out the window, Earl Thomas is the guy.

Reminds me of the Timmons and Mendenhall picks.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
I've been thinking we could trade up for Pouncey in the 2nd if we like him.

And we can still do this via trading down in the 1st unless a certain player is there at 18 or we have a shot at trading up for a star.

I think we definitely draft an OC early. last year we targeted Mack, Wood and then tried to to trade up for Unger. Hartwig is another year older and I don't think the Steelers have changed their minds about wanting another OC.

but if the Steelers have a player they really love fall to them at #18 (such as Earl Thomas) then we should stand pat and draft him. we can then move back up to early in the 2nd round and get Pouncey by giving up our 3rd round pick at #82.

the risk with this strategy of course is that Pouncey will no longer be available, i wonder what the Steelers think of J D Walton? (Round 3 prospect)

J.D. Walton, 6-3/300 Scouting Report

Center

Baylor

Strengths:

Strong, compact frame
Very powerful run blocker
Does a good job staying low generating leverage
Nasty, blue-collar demeanor
Athletic enough to pull or get to second level
Possesses heavy hands
Good quickness and flexibility in space
Nice footwork
Great intangibles and a big-time leader for the Baylor offensive line
3-year starter
Solid awareness
Finishes blocks
Tough

Weaknesses:

Average size
A bit too high at times in pass protection
Lacks elite athleticism to be upper-echelon center in NFL
No experience in man-blocking scheme
Sometimes lunges and will get top heavy

Summary: Walton is a very good center prospect with the top intangibles you want as a line general at the position. Despite being only 300 pounds, he should hold his own against 3-4 nose tackles because he stays low, is strong, and is very tough. He doesn't have the upside of a Maurkice Pouncey, but he should be a starter early in his career and come off the board in the third round.

Player Comparison: Shaun O'Hara. O'Hara doesn't have amazing physical tools, but he is a tough line general for the Giants.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingr ... walton.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jdwalton.php)

SS Laser
04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I wonder why the last 2 or 3 (if you count the tampa flop) centers the steelers have had have been free agents? I am sure there have been some good centers in the drafts we could have taken? Could the next center be another free agent? Say next off season?

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I wonder why the last 2 or 3 (if you count the tampa flop) centers the steelers have had have been free agents? I am sure there have been some good centers in the drafts we could have taken? Could the next center be another free agent? Say next off season?

you mean Sean Mahan?

Mahan only fifth Steelers center in 44 seasons
Posted 11/16/2007

By Alan Robinson, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH Sean Mahan knew what he was getting into when he signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Perhaps he didn't know all the names, or be able to trace the lineage of his position back to the 1960s. Still, he knew playing center for the Steelers requires an uncommon distinction and a sense of responsibility.

A list of his most immediate predecessors explains why:

Ray Mansfield, 1964-75. Started on two Super Bowl-winning teams.(selected in Rd. 2)

The late Mike Webster, 1976-88. Multi-time Pro Bowl. Started on two Super Bowl-winning teams. Hall of Famer.(selected in Rd. 5)

Dermontti Dawson, 1989-00. Multi-time Pro Bowl. Once received every vote for the All-Pro team.(selected in Rd. 2)

Jeff Hartings, 2001-06. Multi-time Pro Bowl. Started on a Super Bowl-winning team.(selected in Rd. 1)

That's only four primary starters at a single NFL position in 43 years, with Mahan making it five this season. Sure, there were occasional game-to-game changes due to injuries, and Mansfield split time in his later years with Jim Clack, though Mansfield was the starter.

But there may be no other NFL position where fewer regulars have started over a longer period of time. Mansfield, Webster and Dawson each started for more than 10 years apiece, and all missed very few games. Webster, Dawson and Hartings combined for 18 Pro Bowl selections.

"Absolutely," Mahan said when asked if he knew much about the players who preceded him. "There's a long, long line of Hall of Fame players and All-Pro players. It's big shoes to fill."

Apparently not too big. While there's no Mahan-for-All-Pro campaign being waged in Pittsburgh, Mahan has slid into one of the NFL's most demanding lineman jobs with no apparent difficulty.

As Mahan said, he's not getting his name called on TV very much on Sundays. For a lineman, that's a very good thing.

"I'm not going to say I'm playing up to their standards, but I'm always working to get there," Mahan said. "Hopefully, whenever I'm done here, I can look back and be proud of what I've done."

So far, he can.

The Steelers are second in the league in rushing yardage and are fifth in total yardage, trailing only the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and Packers. (Maybe it's not a coincidence those five have the five best records in the league.)

"These guys are playing so well, I'm really proud of them," Ben Roethlisberger said of his linemen.

Pittsburgh's longheld commitment to the running game was a primary reason the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Mahan, a former Notre Dame player, signed a five-year, $17 million deal with the Steelers in March. It also helped that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was a Tampa Bay assistant during most of Mahan's time with Tampa Bay.

"It was something that always attracted me to Pittsburgh, the style of play here - running the ball and stopping the run and, obviously, a lot of winning teams," Mahan said. "Just the type players who are here, you can't beat it in the NFL."

Mahan realized quickly what the Steelers mean in Pittsburgh. He was occasionally recognized in public while with Tampa Bay, but he's frequently engaged by Steelers fans.

"They're a little more hands-on here," he said. "They'll approach you a little more, they want to talk football."

While the 27-year-old Mahan competed with longtime backup Chukky Okobi for the starting job during training camp, it was understood the Steelers weren't paying Mahan to be a backup. Okobi was later cut.

Mahan can also play guard, but he is convinced he has found the position he's supposed to play: center in Pittsburgh.

He doesn't think that will change next season when five-time All-Pro guard Alan Faneca moves on to another team, as Faneca is promising to do. Contract talks between the team and Faneca went nowhere earlier this year and Faneca said this is his last season in Pittsburgh.

"Right now, I feel this is my position," Mahan said. "If that (a switch to guard) needs to happen next year, so be it. I don't have any problem with it. Right now, I'm not even thinking about next year."

Faneca's departure would leave the Steelers without their best lineman, but would end the confusion that occasionally occurs when Faneca is mistaken for Mahan, and vice versa. Both redheads have a shaggy beard and wear their hair at nearly shoulder length.

"He's got great style," Mahan said. "Great minds think alike."

Of course, Mahan wouldn't mind being mistaken for Faneca on the field.

"There's always a lot of areas where I want to improve, but I can't complain when we're 7-2," Mahan said. "It's an offensive lineman's dream here."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... 1902_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-11-16-2041221902_x.htm)

SS Laser
04-05-2010, 11:51 PM
"you mean Sean Mahan?"

Yep he is the tampa flop. I did not want to say his name. The steelers have had such greatness at center then the FLOP! Thanks for the article also. It had the info on were the greats were picked and I was wondering that. I also was to lazy an go look for the info.