PDA

View Full Version : Graham why not a 3-4 DE?

Shawn
04-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Hear me out here. I know prototypical 3-4 DEs are 290-300 pounds. I know you need them to stuff gaps and allow your LBrs to do their thing. But, who is to say Graham couldn't put on 15 pounds and be a dominating DE in the 3-4? Can you imagine Graham and Woodley on the same side? Think it can work?

WoodleyofTroy
04-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Not sure if it could be done or not, but it would be wasting his ability in my opinion. Has a chance to be the next dominant and feared OLB. I don't think you could say the same being a DE in the 3-4.

But you know the real question will be if he is drafted, why not a 4-3 Defense with Graham and Woodley on each side, with Hood and Hampton in the middle?

steelernation77
04-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Sorry but this idea is terrible. No way are you going to add 20 more pounds on to Graham's maxed-out frame. When was the last time we had a 6'1" DE?

Shawn
04-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Not sure if it could be done or not, but it would be wasting his ability in my opinion. Has a chance to be the next dominant and feared OLB. I don't think you could say the same being a DE in the 3-4.

But you know the real question will be if he is drafted, why not a 4-3 Defense with Graham and Woodley on each side, with Hood and Hampton in the middle?

Yeah...we run versions of the 4-3 at times. That could be a very interesting look. I like the thought of that line with Harrison, Timmons and Fox as your LBrs.

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 03:38 AM

how about we keep our 3-4 base defense, with the occasional 4-3 look? Tomlin comes from a 4-3 background, why not occasionally change things up to keep the offense guessing...

Harrison turns 32 next month and can't play forever or every minute of every game,
we need someone to rotate in with him and Woodley. doesn't it worry you that we have no depth whatsoever at OLB? we are one injury from Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey getting minutes. :wft

the Steelers have been looking at many 3-4 OLB prospects, why not draft the best one? i would much rather have Brandon Graham than Jason Worilds, Thaddeus Gibson, Eric Norwood, Albert McClellan and/or Navorro Bowman...

Oviedo
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
There was a very good article in SteelCityInsider that I had posted here that described the LeBeau defense and the characteristics he looks for at each position. As I recall, he looks for NTs that are typically 6'3" or less and he wants DEs that are ideally about 6'5" so that they can get their arms up and block passes when they don't get to the QB.

Neither Woodley or Graham fit the mold of a 3-4 DE, but Woodley would be an awesome 4-3 DE

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry but this idea is terrible. No way are you going to add 20 more pounds on to Graham's maxed-out frame. When was the last time we had a 6'1" DE?

3-4 DE's are typically in the 6'4" to 6'5" range.....Although 3-4 OLB are usually much taller than Harrison and he does ok for himself. Freeney is another example of a guy that might not have prototypical dimensions, but can flat out play. Undersized guys sometimes get the better of the oversized OT's (like Starks).

Shawn
04-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm sure it probably wouldn't work. But, with that much blitzing power on one side you would think that either Woodley or Graham would come open. Just a thought.

BURGH86STEEL
04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
There was a very good article in SteelCityInsider that I had posted here that described the LeBeau defense and the characteristics he looks for at each position. As I recall, he looks for NTs that are typically 6'3" or less and he wants DEs that are ideally about 6'5" so that they can get their arms up and block passes when they don't get to the QB.

Neither Woodley or Graham fit the mold of a 3-4 DE, but Woodley would be an awesome 4-3 DE

I am not sure Woodley would make an awesome 4-3 end. I think he would have gone higher in the draft if teams thought he would be a great 4-3 end. He is probably a better 3-4 LB.

I think the Steelers should leave the scheme as it is. I don't agree with going from a 3-4, to a 4-3, and then back to a 3-4. They should stick with what they do well. They play the 3-4 as well or better then most teams in the league. They need to get better a better pass rush, get better play in the secondary, or both on a consistent basis. Especially, when it matters at the end of games.

I think there are a couple of things that may help the pass rush. Maybe moving the official in the backfield will help Harrison get a few flags. Winning those one on one match ups are always key. I think winning those match ups are the most important aspect of the pass rush. Better individual play in the secondary will help. It will allow our best pass rushers to rush the passers and not play more pass coverage.

I think they need to get a CB opposite Ike. I don't think Gay is the answer (unless he takes some performance enhancers lol). Seriously, Gay may be more suited to a nickel and back up role. I don't think Gay has the speed to stay with most WR's. Having Troy back will help all areas of the defense.

Shawn
04-03-2010, 02:29 PM

I am not sure Woodley would make an awesome 4-3 end. I think he would have gone higher in the draft if teams thought he would be a great 4-3 end. He is probably a better 3-4 LB.

I think the Steelers should leave the scheme as it is. I don't agree with going from a 3-4, to a 4-3, and then back to a 3-4. They should stick with what they do well. They play the 3-4 as well or better then most teams in the league. They need to get better a better pass rush, get better play in the secondary, or both on a consistent basis. Especially, when it matters at the end of games.

I think there are a couple of things that may help the pass rush. Maybe moving the official in the backfield will help Harrison get a few flags. Winning those one on one match ups are always key. I think winning those match ups are the most important aspect of the pass rush. Better individual play in the secondary will help. It will allow our best pass rushers to rush the passers and not play more pass coverage.

I think they need to get a CB opposite Ike. I don't think Gay is the answer (unless he takes some performance enhancers lol). Seriously, Gay may be more suited to a nickel and back up role. I don't think Gay has the speed to stay with most WR's. Having Troy back will help all areas of the defense.

They already throw in 4-3 looks...this isn't new.