PDA

View Full Version : GBI: "Media Will Be Eating Crow"

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2010 3:33 PM ET
People who make their livings as spokesmen are usually very careful in how they choose their words. That's especially true when they're addressing issues as serious as potential criminal charges against a public figure.

So it's a little surprising to see the way the spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation lashed out at members of the media covering the Ben Roethlisberger sexual assault investigation.

John Bankhead, spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Atlanta, told Dan Majors of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that members of the media who have questioned the Bureau's handling of the Roethlisberger case are going to look foolish when the full scope of the investigation comes to light.

"There are a lot of people out there reporting things and repeating things that just are not true," Bankhead said. "They'll be eating crow later. It may taste delicious like Thanksgiving turkey now, but later on, when the facts come out, it'll taste like eating crow."

It's not clear which reports Bankhead is referring to. It's also not clear why Bankhead feels the need to call out unnamed members of the media now, rather than wait until the Bureau can reveal its findings and let the investigation speak for itself.

Asked if investigators have encountered any difficulties, Bankhead replied, "No, other than with the media."

Bankhead added that people who believe the investigation is moving slowly "don't understand our procedures."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ting-crow/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/georgia-bureau-of-investigation-media-will-be-eating-crow/)

calmkiller
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
so um....? what does that mean?

WoodleyofTroy
04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
That's an excellent mock draft.

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 04:31 PM
so um....? what does that mean?

Not sure but I guess down South they think Crow taste like Turkey???

Dang I know this is hard times...just the other day I saw a roach pull a switch-blade on a rat and stole his cheese.

BlackJackGold
04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
"There are a lot of people out there reporting things and repeating things that just are not true," Bankhead said. "They'll be eating crow later. It may taste delicious like Thanksgiving turkey now, but later on, when the facts come out, it'll taste like eating crow."

this could refer to a lot of points over the past few weeks.

The .2% BAC, the uncooperating accuser, the lack of DNA as a reason the request for a sample was withdrawn.

We'll see soon enough.

I just wish they would get the charges filed before the draft if they are going to file them.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM

this could refer to a lot of points over the past few weeks.

The .2% BAC, the uncooperating accuser, the lack of DNA as a reason the request for a sample was withdrawn.

We'll see soon enough.

I just wish they would get the charges filed before the draft if they are going to file them.

You and me both.

SteelBucks
04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm probably being paranoid but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

rpmpit
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Same here. Got the feeling that they want to make an example out of Ben now. Whether he's guilty or not.

pfelix73
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea, well... He's probably just pissed that they don't have a case and wants his 15 minutes of fame. And even if they think they do, it'll get blown out of the water any ways.... This whole thing just stinks of something rotten. IMO.
:tt1

ramblinjim
04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Yea, well... He's probably just pissed that they don't have a case and wants his 15 minutes of fame. And even if they think they do, it'll get blown out of the water any ways.... This whole thing just stinks of something rotten. IMO.
:tt1
i hope you are right, i'm with these guys; starting to get a bad feeling abou this.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Same here. Got the feeling that they want to make an example out of Ben now. Whether he's guilty or not.

Yeah sounds like they may have a chip on their shoulder. Lets hope Ray Ray's lawyer is as good as advertised.

rpmpit
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Yeah sounds like they may have a chip on their shoulder. Lets hope Ray Ray's lawyer is as good as advertised.

There was a guy on Mike and Mike a few weeks back (forget who he was) but he said that this guy (Ray Ray's lawyer) is the best in the business. And Ben's silence is due to the fact that the lawyer tells his clients to basically shut the eff up.

phillyesq
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM

There was a guy on Mike and Mike a few weeks back (forget who he was) but he said that this guy (Ray Ray's lawyer) is the best in the business. And Ben's silence is due to the fact that the lawyer tells his clients to basically shut the eff up.

Good advice. Santonio's lawyer needs to tell him the same thing.

rpmpit
04-03-2010, 07:08 AM

Good advice. Santonio's lawyer needs to tell him the same thing.

Agreed!!

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Could be anyone thinking this guys statements are pro Ben are strictly analyzing the statement through black & gold colored glasses. I would look at it more as his statements are made with a little anger from the GBI toward the media due to articles being critical of the GBI. Off the top of my head articles/subjects media could of or was critical of the GBI are how long it is taking to wrap this up, the photos the cops took with Ben, whether the accuser was being cooperative, and then just the general coverage could be wrong with facts from the case.

Maybe I am just not trying to get my hopes up that our QB's name will be cleared of these things. Would love it to be revealed in detail some scheme this chick and her friends devised through texting on their blackberry's that night but the only thing I have to grasp onto for that is the height/weight the accuser gave which came right from the Steelers roster meaning someone looked it up online....probably though a blackberry or Iphone or some similar device.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-03-2010, 09:43 AM
My best guess (a bargain at half the price!) as to why this GBI guy said this:

Though the investigation is not quite formally over, the guy knows it is essentially over, and either:

1) He knows Ben is going down, and in a moment of weakness he couldn't help but gloat at the media that he feels has been mocking law enforcement issues down there, or

2) He knows Ben is NOT going down, and in frustration he is playing the only card he has while he can - keeping the media off balance and wondering. That "15 minutes of fame" someone above posted.

Which one is it? I have no idea, I guess I'd need to know a little bit about the history of the guy making the statement. I sure hope it's #2.

But either way, smart money says an announcement is coming soon, IMO. Bad news (Ben charged, etc.) probably won't come on a Saturday, Sunday, or Friday afternoon - not enough media coverage. So let's hope for an announcement Easter weekend!!

Shawn
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I know this is me wishin' but I suppose the GBI could have significant evidence that this was a money grab. They could be pressing charges against the girl. Ok...I know lame. I'm starting to think we are really hosed.

AngryAsian
04-04-2010, 02:52 AM
I know this is me wishin' but I suppose the GBI could have significant evidence that this was a money grab. They could be pressing charges against the girl. Ok...I know lame. I'm starting to think we are really hosed.

This, coupled with Ben's removal from the public (whether self imposed or not) makes me extremely skiddish. Wouldn't a non-guilty person go on with his/her life, business as usual? I'm not talking about social engagements, I'm talking about work related items. What about the "Roethlisberger Takes Solice In Film Room" headlines... I know... wishful thinking.

Shawn
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM

This, coupled with Ben's removal from the public (whether self imposed or not) makes me extremely skiddish. Wouldn't a non-guilty person go on with his/her life, business as usual? I'm not talking about social engagements, I'm talking about work related items. What about the "Roethlisberger Takes Solice In Film Room" headlines... I know... wishful thinking.

While everyone deals with stressors differently...I would have to agree. If he knows this is a big nothing...I would think that he would go about business as usual. But, I believe Ben's absence (from FO statements about minimizing distraction) came from up top. So, I'm hoping Ben is biting at the bit to get out...but the Steelers are telling him to stay home.

JAR
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Ben is laying low and not attending OTAs (It was reported he was doing so at the request of the organization) so he doesn't draw a media circus to the rest of the organization. Hell, a few were already camping out before hand is case he showed up.

aggiebones
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
There's not guilty and there's guilty. The GBI will not be making an example out of Ben. They are looking for witnesses enough to prosecute. Or some evidence of wrongdoing.

1)There is not guilty.
2)There is guilty due to evidence and witnesses.
3)There is guilty but without a shred of evidence or witnesses.

1 and 3 you get to go home. 2 gets you in trouble. Let's not pretend GBI has ability to make up videos or plant his DNA on the girl. We already know DNA is not involved and there's no video. They are checking all witnesses to see what people have seen. Then they repeat the interviews a week or so later to see how stories change. They have a year, but I doubt it will take much longer. They can charge up to a year or so from the incident barring crazy circumstances.

Don't read too much into the time it takes. GBI is not going to blunder by going fast.

ikestops85
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
There's not guilty and there's guilty. The GBI will not be making an example out of Ben. They are looking for witnesses enough to prosecute. Or some evidence of wrongdoing.

1)There is not guilty.
2)There is guilty due to evidence and witnesses.
3)There is guilty but without a shred of evidence or witnesses.

1 and 3 you get to go home. 2 gets you in trouble. Let's not pretend GBI has ability to make up videos or plant his DNA on the girl. We already know DNA is not involved and there's no video. They are checking all witnesses to see what people have seen. Then they repeat the interviews a week or so later to see how stories change. They have a year, but I doubt it will take much longer. They can charge up to a year or so from the incident barring crazy circumstances.

Don't read too much into the time it takes. GBI is not going to blunder by going fast.

Please do not think that a law enforcement agency can't twist and spin things to make Ben look guilty. If you don't believe that then you can talk to some guys from Duke whose lives have been ruined by a power hungry DA.

This is what bothers me the most. Ben is obviously a famous person and it would be a feather in the cap of a law enforcement official to convict him on anything they can just to show he didn't get any favoritism.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
it's not the GBI's role to prove the media wrong, this was a very unprofessional statement by the media spokesperson, to say the least.

aggiebones
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I do agree that it is very unprofessional for them to make comments about the media.

If they do have something on Ben, it appears rubbing it in, which ain't good for them. They could be held in the Duke light if they do blunder and were being aggressive with the media about it. The media is very unforgiving and would love to crush the GBI just for making the statement they did.
In the next year I expect someone from the GBI to be exposed for pedophilia or something horrible. They'll be on their arse waiting for a slip up.

And trust me, I know how dirty law enforcement members can be.

SteelAbility
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
These guys are in the position of information control right now. They're going to milk this thing for all it's worth. I don't like the media, but the fact that media are a bunch of hooha's doesn't they aren't either.

Shawn
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I have heard police officers speak very freely. I remember one that said, yeah "he's a trouble maker so I just try to incite him to act stupid." "I just itch to lock him up".

While that's not planting evidence...police officers are human. They do not like to be embarassed. You do not want to be an enemy of the law. So, someone suggesting evidence tampering is not unthinkable for me.

With that said, I do not believe the GBI will be looking to plant evidence. I believe they will just get to the bottom of this investigation.

feltdizz
04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I have heard police officers speak very freely. I remember one that said, yeah "he's a trouble maker so I just try to incite him to act stupid." "I just itch to lock him up".

While that's not planting evidence...police officers are human. They do not like to be embarassed. You do not want to be an enemy of the law. So, someone suggesting evidence tampering is not unthinkable for me.

With that said, I do not believe the GBI will be looking to plant evidence. I believe they will just get to the bottom of this investigation.

off topic a little but female cops scare the sh1t out of me. Only because I have seen more then a few buck up for no reason to show how tough they are.

My nephew spent a night in jail because he was from NYC and an Atlanta cop said he wanted to show him "how we do things down here in Georgia" This is why I worry about the small town attitude toward Ben. They don't take to kindly to Yankees...

SteelCzar76
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM

off topic a little but female cops scare the sh1t out of me. Only because I have seen more then a few buck up for no reason to show how tough they are.

My nephew spent a night in jail because he was from NYC and an Atlanta cop said he wanted to show him "how we do things down here in Georgia" This is why I worry about the small town attitude toward Ben. They don't take to kindly to Yankees...

Uuuuhh,...when did Atlanta become a "Town" ? :lol: It's not LA, NY or Chicago but,.. Atlanta (and it's immediate area) is actually a rather large metropolitan City.

If your thinking of supposed cities that are actually "big towns" where everybody knows your name,...i think that you may be referring to something a little closer to your own backyard ? :lol:

But on a serious note,...the GBI as a whole does not have "hard on" for Roethlisberger in particular. And even if some agents a little closer to "ground zero" had some particular biases of one kind or another,...they more than likely will still conduct themselves as professionals. (in terms of the investigation)

If not because they actually have any Honor per se,....but more importantly because the agency will tolerate no nonsense in a case such this because it's somewhat "high profile". (And i say somewhat because,..outside of the Steeler Nation and the sporting media,...no one REALLY gives a # about Ben Roethlisberger "like that".)

Shawn
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM

While I believe most cops to be on the up and up...like in every profession you have your individuals. The police have a tremendous amount of power. So, if you don't show that badge alot of respect you will get smacked. It's worse with a badge with a chip on their shoulder. And I could see how being a female cop might increase the propensity to enforce that respect.

feltdizz
04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I never said Atlanta was a small town...

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
off topic a little but female cops scare the sh1t out of me.

Let's all chip in to have a stripper visit dizz. She can dress up in a cop outfit and handcuff him first. :lol:

feltdizz
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
off topic a little but female cops scare the sh1t out of me.

Let's all chip in to have a stripper visit dizz. She can dress up in a cop outfit and handcuff him first. :lol:

:Cheers

aggiebones
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Let's not forget that the police were out hamming it up with Big Ben and he donates to the police and has won some civic award due to this, I think.
He had a couple Pa cops in tow with him that night as well.
If he's guilty they will burn him down, but if not, I doubt they go make a spectacle of him and try to catch him. He's closer to them than the average NFL player strolling through town looking for trouble.

feltdizz
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Great point Aggie. Ben is definitely on the right side of the cops... He does a lot for them with the canine donations... Now the DA and GBI? Not so sure.