PDA

View Full Version : Question for you draft guys

rpmpit
04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Have to say I'm impressed by those of you who seem to know a lot about the college players in this years draft. Like, "I'd take Joe Blow from Ishkabib University with our 5th round pick. He'll be the best player available."

How do you guys know so much? Do you watch college football as much as you do pro football? I've started watching a little college football here and there. But not nearly enough to hang with you all. Or are you all just full of crap?? :P

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Have to say I'm impressed by those of you who seem to know a lot about the college players in this years draft. Like, "I'd take Joe Blow from Ishkabib University with our 5th round pick. He'll be the best player available."

How do you guys know so much? Do you watch college football as much as you do pro football? I've started watching a little college football here and there. But not nearly enough to hang with you all. Or are you all just full of crap?? :P

I'm pretty much full of crap (for example, I've never even heard of Ishkabib University) :P

rpmpit
04-02-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm pretty much full of crap (for example, I've never even heard of Ishkabib University) :P

I knew it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

flippy
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM

We're mostly full of crap.

I do watch a lot of college football, but not enough to know much about anyone. I remember some guys standing out here and there. Or hearing about guys from buddies that I'll go check out.

But I haven't watched every game of every player to really know how to compare them to every other player. It's impossible.

I think the thing that happens for me is I'll see a guy that I think has great potential and then I'll see him rated much lower by the expert than I expect. So I'll think this guy's gonna be a steal in the draft.

As an example, I've seen Deji Karim and think he's got great potential, but have also heard people expect he could go between rounds 5-6 and that seems crazy to me. The kid's too talented and his college has put good RBs in the NFL.

Sometimes I just don't get how guys get ranked as prospects.

Additionally, I'm so interested in the draft, I try to watch as many highlights as I can of guys that are projected to go in the top half of the draft - probably top 100-150 prospects. And then I try to go back and watch other guys that others I respect recommend.

As much as I'm full of crap, the one thing I know for sure, there's a ton of talent in this year's draft. And if I was the Steelers I'd have a hard time deciding on one player over another. There's so many potential ways we can go this year.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM

I have to call alot of BS on most of these mocks and "expert draft analysis". For me...if I'm tooting the horn from someone in the Big Ten. There is a really good chance I know what I'm talking about. I watch alot of Big Ten ball. Then there are big name schools I follow...ie Florida, USC etc. I try to watch those games with some players in mind.

With the rest...well I make a list of the top guys at positions of need. I read alot of opinions and try to get my hands on some clips. For instance, a couple years back my small school find was Tim Hightower. The Spiders had alot of video on him at their school site. I was really impressed for a guy who would go in the later rounds.

Chadman
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Chadman knows the intimate details of every draft prospect.

Obviously.

Can't believe you had to ask.

ikestops85
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM

What do you mean you never heard of Ishkabib University? I graduated from that school ... I think :? Now I'm not so sure. Those days were kind of hazy if you know what I mean. :wink:

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Dee Dub knows his stuff fo sho!

Shawn..yeah he has a bias no doubt. Reference: Vernon Gholston. :wink:

fordfixer
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Obviously.

Chadman is getting intmate with collage boy's:shock:

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Ishkabib University is located near Shishkebob College, everyone knows that...duh!

Lebsteel
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Obviously.

Chadman is getting intmate with college boys :shock:

Sad commentary on the life "Down Under" :shock:

We love ya Chadman and Chadman loves Chadman :wink:

pfelix73
04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
That's why once the draft is finally over, MOST of these picks are totally wrong. But hey, it's fun. It's all amusing.
:tt1

rpmpit
04-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Great stuff, guys. Figured most of you were full of crap :lol:

Just seemed like I was way out of the loop as far as football knowledge goes. And when it comes to college, I guess I still am. But I feel a little better now :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
04-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't like to have opinions about guys coming out of college. I don't feel as though I see most of those guys play enough to have an opinion one way or another.

Discipline of Steel
04-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I watch football all day Sunday, every Sunday its on. Therefore, I feel I cant afford to spend all day Saturday watching football as well. Therefore, I dont really know too many of the college players. Therfore, I dont do a mock draft. But it is interesting to read some articles and imagine who we might add to our team in the first couple rounds. Hood was a total surprise for me last year. I trust the team to make good decisions and would have no basis to second guess the picks as they are made...not until they play some football.

ANPSTEEL
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I watch football all day Sunday, every Sunday its on. Therefore, I feel I cant afford to spend all day Saturday watching football as well. Therefore, I dont really know too many of the college players. Therfore, I dont do a mock draft. ...

I like this train of logic-

...you are saying that you don't do a mock draft, because you watch football every Sunday??

Ha!

I've got one for you-

I watch football every Sunday, all day. Because I do not live in Pittsburgh, or have Direct TV- frequently I have to go out, to watch the Steelers. Therefore, I frequently am out late, and frequently have a fare share of beverages. Therefore, I try to never schedule meetings on Monday morning. Therefore, Mondays are often not as productive as they should be. Therefore, Tuesdays during football season, are typically very busy for me. Therefore, I usually cant watch Monday Night Football.

see how that works :shock:

Back to the original question-

I know this may come as a surprise to many of you- but regarding college football players- I'm pretty much full of crap. :shock:

Say its not so- I know, I know.... but unfortunately, its true.

I read some of the analysis / write ups... but that is about it.

Like many on this board, I feel qualified to comment on what positions the Steelers need, but absolutely unqualified to suggest that I have any idea about what particular player should fill those positions.

The only exception to this is in regards to CJ Spiller, whom if drafted at #18 by the Steelers, I absolutely will choke myself. :lol: :lol:

fordfixer
04-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Great question rmp thanks for asking I have often wondered the same thing. I now feel better about my lack of knowlage of collage players :D

But now we all know alittle more about Chadman and his Chadmen :lol:

frankthetank1
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
i love college football or any kind of football really. i mostly watch the acc, big east and big ten which is why i love CJ spiller and matt tennant