PDA

View Full Version : Did Dulac blow more smoke or did it clear?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I have developed several business acquaintances over the years that reside in or around the Pittsburgh area. I get some reliable info from two of them. Not directly by experience...More of the family/friend working with media or a level in the organization. Rumor...He said stuff...But smoke at first that sometimes turns to fire. They know I am a Steelers fan as well...Makes the business relationships personable knowing we share a love for them. Through emails this week one of them told me the Steelers are really in love with an OL in the upcoming draft in the 1st...Which was Iupati. I changed my mock to reflect that. She also said there was a buzz about a guy the Steelers were showing no interest in around the media but that will change if they line up a visit. Not sure if they will do that to stay below the radar.

That being said, the link below is an interview with Dulac on the NFL Network. The installment of "On the Clock." It starts out talking about Ben and the impact on the Steelers in the draft. Then it gets interesting. He is asked what direction the Steelers will go at #18. One name that makes sense. I just hope it isn't at #18. It is a need and has to be addressed. Definately can move back to take him. The Other...Is this the "Under the Radar" guy???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8174779d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

flippy
04-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Who's the mystery man???? I can't watch the video right now.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry Flip. Dulac says the Steelers are in love with 2 players. Pouncey...Not a big surprise. The other...Brandon Graham. That would be a surprise.

flippy
04-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry Flip. Dulac says the Steelers are in love with 2 players. Pouncey...Not a big surprise. The other...Brandon Graham. That would be a surprise.

Thanks. I don't see Graham as a big surprise. We've had good luck with a couple of Michigan defenders. Plus the Steelers need to improve their pass rush. I could see Graham contributing on 3rd downs immediately as a situational pass rusher.

I'd be happy with Graham. He looks like another Woodley.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks. I don't see Graham as a big surprise. We've had good luck with a couple of Michigan defenders. Plus the Steelers need to improve their pass rush. I could see Graham contributing on 3rd downs immediately as a situational pass rusher.

I agree. I would have no problem with the pick. I know the Steelers are looking to improve the pass rush. I just would be surprised if they use the 1st pick. If they think he will be special like Woodley...Then do it.

MaxAMillion
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Three more weeks until the Pouncey man comes on board.

Oviedo
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
[quote=flippy]Who's the mystery man???? I can't watch the video right now.....

I agree. I would have no problem with the pick. I know the Steelers are looking to improve the pass rush. I just would be surprised if they use the 1st pick. If they think he will be special like Woodley...Then do it.[/quote:2qjlcd6c]

I'm totally on board with Graham. I think we need to be very concerned with the fact that Harrison only managed 2 sacks over the last 8 games of last season. It could have been a nagging injury or it could be a repeat of the Jason Gildon situation where he reached a wall quickly.

Graham would be able to contribute immediately as mentioned and if either Harrison or Woodley go down to injury we have no back ups at OLB who could produce other than moving Timmons there and then you have the effecting two positions situation.

flippy
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
If we grabbed Graham, I could see a complete new defense with complete positional flexibility in the front 7 where most anyone can generate pressure from anywhere.

We could run a 3-4 with Hampton on the field.
We could run a 2-5 with Graham/Keisel as the extra LB and Smitt/Hood as the DTs.
We could run a 4-3 with some combo of Graham/Keisel, Smitty, Hood, Woodley on the Dline

And in the 3-4, we could look to move Timmons into Farrior's slot and see if we could move Harrison or Graham inside.

There's so many possibilities. But if we took Graham, it would require looking at the front 7 differently than we use them today to work everyone in to being a contributor.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I really like Graham. I believe he will be the best linebacker to come out of this years draft. I believe him to even have a higher ceiling than Woodley who's horn I was tooting before the 2007 draft.

With that said, I have no reason to believe he can cover. We have never seen him play ILB. Even though he was a DE in college he will transition to OLB very well. I think we are stocked at linebacker especially with the signing of Foote. I just don't think it will happen.

Pouncey...yeah well the guy is legit. He has all the tools to be a terrific NFL center. He is extremely mobile...gets to the next level with the best in the league. He will open up running plays we had to bury because of Hartwig.

Iupati is another guy who the Steelers will look at hard. I'm not crazy about drafting a Guard or Center at 18 but I wouldn't be shocked if this was the direction we went.

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I really like Graham. I believe he will be the best linebacker to come out of this years draft......

I too like Graham but I dont think he will be the best LB coming out of this draft. He may end up with the best success numbers-wise (sacks), however he will be a one dimensional rush linebacker ala Shawn Merrimen. I think Sean Weatherspoon will end up being the best. He can cover and do so much more.

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
.....She also said

Uhhhhhhhhhh...you lost me right there. :Boobs

Shawn
04-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I really like Graham. I believe he will be the best linebacker to come out of this years draft......

I too like Graham but I dont think he will be the best LB coming out of this draft. He may end up with the best success numbers-wise (sacks), however he will be a one dimensional rush linebacker ala Shawn Merrimen. I think Sean Weatherspoon will end up being the best. He can cover and do so much more.

I won't disagree with the fact that I believe Weatherspoon will be the more well rounded LBr. With that said, Weatherspoon isn't elite with any particular skills set...he is just good at everything. Graham is an elite pass rusher but will suffer in coverage.

Dee Dub
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
....Graham is an elite pass rusher but will suffer in coverage.

Now that's more like it. I agree with that.

but......not best linebacker in this draft. There's a difference as you know Shawn:wink:

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Three more weeks until the Pouncey man comes on board.

Cool. Three weeks from today, round 2 of the draft will begin. I'd be happy if we trade up in round 2 for Pouncey. I'd prefer that we take someone like Earl Thomas three weeks from yesterday, though. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Graham draws many Woodley comparisons -

Brandon Graham makes a strong impression

JANUARY 29, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. -- Using leverage, speed, aggressiveness and a nasty streak, University of Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham dominated offensive tackles this week at the Senior Bowl.

He drew several comparisons to Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, a fellow Michigan football alum.

"It's an honor to have everybody saying that because LaMarr is a great football player," Graham said. "I've learned most of my moves from him, so I agree and like the comparison."

Graham has short arms and isn't very tall, but that doesn't appear to be an obstacle to him getting to the quarterback.

He recorded 10 1/2 sacks last season for the Wolverines, leading the nation with 26 tackles for losses.

For his career, Graham has registered 29 1/2 sacks and 56 tackles for losses.

"Good player," Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta said. "We like him coming out of Michigan. Strong, explosive guy. Good motor, tenacious. He plays like a Raven. Not the biggest guy, but he plays bigger than he looks.Ē

Graham met with the Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers and several other teams, including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He could project as a 3-4 hybrid outside linebacker-defensive end.

"Itís very exciting to meet with NFL teams," Graham said. "That they want to see what Iím about, thatís a blessing. I don't care where I play.

"Some teams want me to play linebacker and others havenít really said anything about the position I play. They just told me to keep that motor moving. And thatís what Iím trying to do, always."

Ultimately, Graham said he doesn't have a preference for which position he'll play.

"It doesn't matter to me," Graham said. "I'm just going to go hard no matter where I'm lined up. If you play fast and you have a motor, you're going to be on the field and you're going to be making plays. You need to be relentless out there and play hard until the whistle blows."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wil ... -Bowl.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Brandon-Graham-turning-heads-at-Senior-Bowl.html)

NJ-STEELER
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
i'm with shawn. i cant see us using the pick on graham unless they're thinking of him possibly playing ILB or (doubt) they're thinking of playing more of a 4-3.

picking a guy at 18 that will see time on 3rd downs for the next 2 years..... dont think so.

the pass rush from the LBs is fine. harrison may not have had a lot of sacks the 2nd half of the season, but he still was able to put pressure on the QB,(kind of like woodley in the 1st half of the season) which is what we want. the QB having to get rid of the ball quicker then he wants too

Oviedo
04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
i'm with shawn. i cant see us using the pick on graham unless they're thinking of him possibly playing ILB or (doubt) they're thinking of playing more of a 4-3.

picking a guy at 18 that will see time on 3rd downs for the next 2 years..... dont think so.

the pass rush from the LBs is fine. harrison may not have had a lot of sacks the 2nd half of the season, but he still was able to put pressure on the QB,(kind of like woodley in the 1st half of the season) which is what we want. the QB having to get rid of the ball quicker then he wants too

I suggested a couple of months ago looking at Graham at ILB. I think he would be a solid pick and would provide much needed depth on the outside. To be effective we can't have our primary pass rushing threats alternating halves of a season when they are getting to the QB. It needs to be constant and consistent. That is one of the reason the defensive backfield was exposed.

steeler_george
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM

I suggested a couple of months ago looking at Graham at ILB. I think he would be a solid pick and would provide much needed depth on the outside. To be effective we can't have our primary pass rushing threats alternating halves of a season when they are getting to the QB. It needs to be constant and consistent. That is one of the reason the defensive backfield was exposed.

The exposure to our "D" last season wasn't lack of pressure but lack of Troy.

I think we already have that ILB who could play OLB in Timmons. Maybe they are planning on our future LB crew, by drafting an ILB and switching Timmons to his original draft position at OLB. Remember, we drafted Timmons to replace Porter or Haggans and uncertain Harrison at that time. We just got lucky that Woodley (BPA) fell to us in the 2nd round that year.

NJ-STEELER
04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
like george said, i feel it was more because of missing troy then the inconsistency of the LBs pressure.

i believe i saw a stat at the end of the season that siad debo and woodley dropped into coverage more then ever before. also, DL was more conservative with the type of blitzes he called when troy was out