PDA

View Full Version : Dan Williams, Toby Gerhart, and Dominique Franks..1,2,3!

Dee Dub
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.gbnreport.com/2010projection.html

Shawn
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I would be very ok with that.

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
to be honest i havent seen franks play a whole lot. williams and gerhart would be a great 1st and 2nd round though. NT will definetly be a big need in the future. i would perfer wilson or thomas, but williams wouldnt be a bad pick at all. i dont think thomas will be there at #18

Dee Dub
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Gerhart in the second??? Not me. We have an in-between the tackles RB. We dont need two and especially from round two.

Mendenhall had a pretty good year two for a back who only started 12 games. I think given more touches will only make him better. Adding Gerhart hinders that.

steelerkeylargo
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
to be honest i havent seen franks play a whole lot. williams and gerhart would be a great 1st and 2nd round though. NT will definetly be a big need in the future. i would perfer wilson or thomas, but williams wouldnt be a bad pick at all. i dont think thomas will be there at #18

I have rooted for OU my whole life and have seen almost all of Franks games. He fits our style very well. Keeps almost everything in front of him, rarely gets beat and rarely takes risks ( as a result lets a lot of interceptable balls get caught in front of him). He actually does have pretty good hands though when he does go for the pick!

Oviedo
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Gerhart in the second??? Not me. We have an in-between the tackles RB. We dont need two and especially from round two.

Mendenhall had a pretty good year two for a back who only started 12 games. I think given more touches will only make him better. Adding Gerhart hinders that.

Actually, I think Mendy is more of an off tackle runner. While he can run through the interior gaps he gets his big gains off tackle. Gerhardt would be a great complement in the backfield.

If we got those three in that oreder that draft would be a keeper although I would sub Brandon Graham for Williams to make me just down right giddy. :wink:

flippy
04-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Why take Gerhart when you can take Deji Karim 2-3 rounds later. He's so much more talented in every way. I think Deji can be as good as Spiller.

Why the love of big backs around here? At 5'9", 210, Deji's put together just like Gerhart but he's so much more athletic.

I want 2 all around backs that can run between the tackles, have speed, vision, power, can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Deji is going to be the steal of the draft imho. I have no idea why he's not rated way higher.

And for those that want a big back, Tony Baker from NC State has a lot more value potentially as a UDFA and could be just as good as Gerhart in the NFL.

There's so much great talent in the 2nd round. If we pick Gerhart there, I'll be very disappointed.

ramblinjim
04-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Why take Gerhart when you can take Deji Karim 2-3 rounds later. He's so much more talented in every way. I think Deji can be as good as Spiller.

Why the love of big backs around here? At 5'9", 210, Deji's put together just like Gerhart but he's so much more athletic.

I want 2 all around backs that can run between the tackles, have speed, vision, power, can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Deji is going to be the steal of the draft imho. I have no idea why he's not rated way higher.

And for those that want a big back, Tony Baker from NC State has a lot more value potentially as a UDFA and could be just as good as Gerhart in the NFL.

There's so much great talent in the 2nd round. If we pick Gerhart there, I'll be very disappointed.

Flippy, I grew up in Southern Illinois and still follow their football team when I can, I remember Brandon Jacobs just killing people in Division I-AA back then and you just knew he could be a beast. Deji Karim may actually have better potential than Jacobs because he's shorter, has a lower center of gravity and will take less shots than Jacobs. When he first got some attention people said he'd be a great 7th round pickup or UDFA, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see someone use a 5th round comp pick on him.

phillyesq
04-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't like Williams in the first or Gerhardt in the second. Hampton is locked up for three years, and Hoke is still in the mix. I'm not sure if the idea is that Williams would rotate in at DE and spell Hampton, but I think the Steelers can wait at least a year to begin grooming Casey's replacement. If the Steelers want to start grooming a NT to play after Casey's contract expires, I'd look for somebody in the middle of the draft, not 1.18.

I'm not a huge fan of Gerhardt, and I don't like the idea of spending a high pick on a RB. Find somebody in the middle-later rounds who can compliment Mendy.

If the draft falls as predicted, I'd rather see something like this:

1: Iupati or Kyle Wilson, perhaps with a trade down
2: Chad Jones or trade up a few slots for Rodger Saffold
3: Franks, Troupe, or maybe even Spikes.

Dee Dub
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
1: Iupati or Kyle Wilson, perhaps with a trade down
2: Chad Jones or trade up a few slots for Rodger Saffold
3: Franks, Troupe, or maybe even Spikes.

I'll drink to that. :Cheers I would add Odrick and Weatherspoon in round round to your list though.

It's amazing how far Spikes has fallen yet on the football field he was a beast.

Chadman
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Iupati, Matt Tennant & Brandon Spikes in the first 3 rounds would be a good result.

Javier Arenas, Darrell Stuckey, Mike Neal...all good 4th round options...

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM

I have rooted for OU my whole life and have seen almost all of Franks games. He fits our style very well. Keeps almost everything in front of him, rarely gets beat and rarely takes risks ( as a result lets a lot of interceptable balls get caught in front of him). He actually does have pretty good hands though when he does go for the pick!

sounds really good to me. it would be nice to have a cb with good hands.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Flippy, I grew up in Southern Illinois and still follow their football team when I can, I remember Brandon Jacobs just killing people in Division I-AA back then and you just knew he could be a beast. Deji Karim may actually have better potential than Jacobs because he's shorter, has a lower center of gravity and will take less shots than Jacobs. When he first got some attention people said he'd be a great 7th round pickup or UDFA, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see someone use a 5th round comp pick on him.

i would be very happy if Deji Karim is still available in Round 5, i think he may not last that long however after running a 4.37 at his Pro Day -

Deji Karim Scouting Report

Running Back

Southern Illinois

5-9 210

40 time: 4.37

Draft board running back rank: #15

3/27/10: Every year, seemingly, it happens. A small school running back comes out of nowhere to get drafted in the mid rounds and then within a few years, heís a starting running back in the National Football League. A prime candidate to follow in those footsteps this year is Deji Karim.

Heís got a good size/speed combination and a very good explosive burst. Heís short and stocky, but he can plow his way up the middle with a good short burst and a good pad level. His vision needs some work. He has breakaway speed on the outside and often looks like the fastest guy on the team. He has decent hands out of the backfield as well, but isnít the most adapt runner in the open field. Heís not very shifty or agile and doesnít change directions or break tackles very often. Level of competition is obviously an issue, but it has been proven that small school running backs have an easier time transitioning to the NFL than any other position.

Basically, if you can run, you can run anywhere and Karim sure can run with 1694 yards and 18 touchdowns on 240 carries last year. He is a bit of a one year wonder though and he only had 76 carries before this year, which might suggest a longer career, but also is a possible sign of him being a fluke and being nothing special in the NFL. I am especially wary of one year wonders with running backs, with good reason, and Karim is certainly a one year wonder. Heíll probably be drafted in the 4th or 5th round range off of his measurables and potential and he has a very good chance of being, if not a feature back, then a very important back to some team in the near future.

NFL Comparison: Jerome Harrison

http://www.footballfanspot.com/dejikarimscout.htm

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Physically, Karim seems to have an MJD-like body type (5'9" 210 lbs. vs. 5'7" 208 lbs.)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1030/chicago_karim2_200.jpghttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/04-06/draft/0418drew.jpghttp://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/04/15/2009063467.jpg

Shawn
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Actually, I think Mendy is more of an off tackle runner. While he can run through the interior gaps he gets his big gains off tackle. Gerhardt would be a great complement in the backfield.

If we got those three in that oreder that draft would be a keeper although I would sub Brandon Graham for Williams to make me just down right giddy. :wink:

Mendenhall isn't a guy that will grind out a game when the D knows he's running the A gaps. He isn't the guy that drags tacklers and abuses a tired D. I agree with you O...Mendy is best off the tackle or hitting the A or B and quickly making one cut to the outside. He is best in space.

Gerhart is a beast. White, purple, or pink...don't care what color he is...the guy can tote the rock. He is the guy you run with inside the redzone...or when you need to maintain the lead and eat the clock. I believe Gerhart to have as much power as Bettis and probably more speed than Bettis had even in his prime. He creates his own holes. I would love this pick up.

Shawn
04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Karim's profile sounds alot like Parkers.

Chadman
04-01-2010, 09:16 PM
There are few better 'between the Tackles' runners that Charles Scott out of LSU.

And he won't cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

As for a 'roughie'- Kentucky FB John Conner is vastly underrated.

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Mendenhall isn't a guy that will grind out a game when the D knows he's running the A gaps. He isn't the guy that drags tacklers and abuses a tired D. I agree with you O...Mendy is best off the tackle or hitting the A or B and quickly making one cut to the outside. He is best in space.

Gerhart is a beast. White, purple, or pink...don't care what color he is...the guy can tote the rock. He is the guy you run with inside the redzone...or when you need to maintain the lead and eat the clock. I believe Gerhart to have as much power as Bettis and probably more speed than Bettis had even in his prime. He creates his own holes. I would love this pick up.

As much power as Bettis? :nono

Gerhart was a beast in college but so was Ron Dayne... I'm anxious to see how he does in the NFL.

grotonsteel
04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Toby Gerhart in Rd 2 is too high. I would be disappointed with that. I think Toby could end up as a FB in NFL.

Also how many carries Willie Parker (2nd RB) had last season? Why draft a RB like Toby in Rd 2 who is not going to carry the rock even 100 times a season.

Draft a RB in late rounds.

I hope this draft it is O-line and Defense in first 3 rounds.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Toby Gerhart in Rd 2 is too high. I would be disappointed with that. I think Toby could end up as a FB in NFL.

Also how many carries Willie Parker (2nd RB) had last season? Why draft a RB like Toby in Rd 2 who is not going to carry the rock even 100 times a season.

Gerhart's strength really isn't blocking. Unless he makes great leaps in that department...it's rb or bust. And yes Dizz, I believe Gerhart can take that power to the next level. Something that few give the man credit for is his athleticism. He is more fast twitch than alot of fans know. For a large man he accelerates through cracks then blows up linebackers. There is a reason he was the most prolific running back in college last season. But, I hear ya about Dayne. Dayne was beastly in college. But, let me say this...Dayne had one of the best O lines in college that season. I know because I watched the Badgers alot that season. Alot of times Dayne had a head of steam going before he was ever touched. Gerhart wasn't as fortunate.

Oviedo
04-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Gerhart's strength really isn't blocking. Unless he makes great leaps in that department...it's rb or bust. And yes Dizz, I believe Gerhart can take that power to the next level. Something that few give the man credit for is his athleticism. He is more fast twitch than alot of fans know. For a large man he accelerates through cracks then blows up linebackers. There is a reason he was the most prolific running back in college last season. But, I hear ya about Dayne. Dayne was beastly in college. But, let me say this...Dayne had one of the best O lines in college that season. I know because I watched the Badgers alot that season. Alot of times Dayne had a head of steam going before he was ever touched. Gerhart wasn't as fortunate.

Let's be big boys and honest. The problem with Gerhardt is he is viewed as having too much of a melanin defieciency, i.e. too pale, to be a successful RB in the NFL. His measureables are equal to many RBs we are touting in this draft but he isn't viewed as a credible RB.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
One of my worries about Gerhart as a short yardage power back is that he tends to run a bit too upright. Many of us thought that Frank the Tank would be an effective goal line back when he drafted him last year, but based on what I saw from him in the preseason before he got hurt, his upright running style hurt him on this level.

I'm not against Gerhart though (just think round 2 is too early, and if that means that we miss out on him, so be it...there are others we could take later).

Shawn
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Let's be big boys and honest. The problem with Gerhardt is he is viewed as having too much of a melanin defieciency, i.e. too pale, to be a successful RB in the NFL. His measureables are equal to many RBs we are touting in this draft but he isn't viewed as a credible RB.

I agree but I do believe it's more on a subconscious level. I don't think there are too many teams thinking I won't draft him because he is white. I do think being cheif pale skin has certainly cost him some money. I mean if you have a heavy weight championship and you had to place your money on the equally talented white guy or the black guy...where is your money? But, I do believe Gerhart will break the typical thinking concerning running backs. I think he can be a very good NFL back.

Shawn
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
One of my worries about Gerhart as a short yardage power back is that he tends to run a bit too upright. Many of us thought that Frank the Tank would be an effective goal line back when he drafted him last year, but based on what I saw from him in the preseason before he got hurt, his upright running style hurt him on this level.

I'm not against Gerhart though (just think round 2 is too early, and if that means that we miss out on him, so be it...there are others we could take later).

I agree with you hence the reason I have us grabbing him in the third. If he isn't there in the third I would be nearly as happy grabbing Blount in the 5th.