PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Earl Thomas fans

Oviedo
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
THURSDAY, APRIL 1

7:15 a.m.: Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert traveled to Austin yesterday, and according to CBS Sportsline it wasn't so much to see the Texas Longhorns as it was to see QB Colt McCoy.

Huh?

Oh, right, it's an April Fool's joke. Has to be.

Perhaps this Ben Roethlisberger nonsense has gone too far, because the Steelers won't be drafting McCoy -- or any other QB -- in the first two or three rounds, if at all.

Undoubtedly, the Steelers' head of personnel made the trip to watch free safety Earl Thomas run one 40-yard dash.

That Thomas ran in the 4.3s before pulling up lame (hamstring) was no surprise on Texas' fast surface. Thomas is following in the exact fashion that similarly sized Troy Polamalu proceeded during the 2003 draft season.

That Thomas has been falling in media mocks of late HAS been a surprise though. And if the Steelers are fortunate, they can add Thomas as a free safety in what could eventually become the most interesting and formidable safety combination in league history.

Thomas, in my opinion, is the only truly desirable prospect for the Steelers in the first round. The offensive linemen all have their flaws and the cornerbacks are better suited for the bottom of the first round. Thomas could replace nickel back Deshea Townsend as a rookie and in the future replace Ryan Clark as Polamalu's running mate. In my opinion, Thomas would be the only first-round selection capable of lifting the heavy cloud of the Roethlisberger news off of the fan base this spring.

In other Pro Day news from Wednesday, Eric Norwood, a pass-rusher who played out of position as a 4-3 linebacker this past season for South Carolina, worked out and then hopped a plane to be in Pittsburgh today for a visit. He'll join Wake Forest CB Brandon Ghee, and possibly others before the Steelers take the next four days off to celebrate Easter.

Lebsteel
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
THURSDAY, APRIL 1

7:15 a.m.: Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert traveled to Austin yesterday, and according to CBS Sportsline it wasn't so much to see the Texas Longhorns as it was to see QB Colt McCoy.

Huh?

Oh, right, it's an April Fool's joke. Has to be.

Perhaps this Ben Roethlisberger nonsense has gone too far, because the Steelers won't be drafting McCoy -- or any other QB -- in the first two or three rounds, if at all.

Undoubtedly, the Steelers' head of personnel made the trip to watch free safety Earl Thomas run one 40-yard dash.

That Thomas ran in the 4.3s before pulling up lame (hamstring) was no surprise on Texas' fast surface. Thomas is following in the exact fashion that similarly sized Troy Polamalu proceeded during the 2003 draft season.

That Thomas has been falling in media mocks of late HAS been a surprise though. And if the Steelers are fortunate, they can add Thomas as a free safety in what could eventually become the most interesting and formidable safety combination in league history.

Thomas, in my opinion, is the only truly desirable prospect for the Steelers in the first round. Despite the rambling, misguided predictions from PlanetSteelers self-proclaimed draft guru "Chadman", the offensive linemen all have their flaws and the cornerbacks are better suited for the bottom of the first round. Thomas could replace nickel back Deshea Townsend as a rookie and in the future replace Ryan Clark as Polamalu's running mate. In my opinion, Thomas would be the only first-round selection capable of lifting the heavy cloud of the Roethlisberger news off of the fan base this spring.

In other Pro Day news from Wednesday, Eric Norwood, a pass-rusher who played out of position as a 4-3 linebacker this past season for South Carolina, worked out and then hopped a plane to be in Pittsburgh today for a visit. He'll join Wake Forest CB Brandon Ghee, and possibly others before the Steelers take the next four days off to celebrate Easter.

Great news! But, I can't believe he called out Chadman in his article like he did. Chadman's prognostications are becoming famous worldwide! :P :P

NW Steeler
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Even though I've been pimping Graham recently, I thought (as many others did) that Thomas would be the pick, but that was before they re-signed Clark. But seeing as Thomas could play the nickel spot (hopefully early in his rookie year - yeas, I said it), I think he WILL be the pick if he is on the board. Unfortunately, I think he will be gone by the time we pick, and I don't really want to see us trade up for anyone.

aggiebones
04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
"That Thomas ran in the 4.3s before pulling up lame (hamstring) was no surprise on Texas' fast surface. "

Not surprising because he's gonna pull up lame his entire career. Blaming it on the surface, pffft. Beware of this cat.

And why are we in such need at S? We just resigned Clark, so they obviously intend to use him. We are tied to Troy for awhile and we also brought in Wil Allen. We have no need for safeties in the first round this year. Yea, they may grab a 3-5th rounder to see if they can groom someone. If that fails, then in a couple seasons we could blow a first rounder at S.

Tackle, Tackle, Tackle is where we are going. Outside chance of CB. Outside chance of a DL if someone really falls to us and the Ts go too quickly.

NW Steeler
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
There will not be a T remaining that will be worthy of the #18 pick. The top C and Top G may still be on the board, but are we really going to pick Iupati or Pouncey that high?

You are implying that Thomas gets hurt easily. How many games did he miss in college?

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
"That Thomas ran in the 4.3s before pulling up lame (hamstring) was no surprise on Texas' fast surface. "

Not surprising because he's gonna pull up lame his entire career. Blaming it on the surface, pffft. Beware of this cat.

And why are we in such need at S? We just resigned Clark, so they obviously intend to use him. We are tied to Troy for awhile and we also brought in Wil Allen. We have no need for safeties in the first round this year. Yea, they may grab a 3-5th rounder to see if they can groom someone. If that fails, then in a couple seasons we could blow a first rounder at S.

Tackle, Tackle, Tackle is where we are going. Outside chance of CB. Outside chance of a DL if someone really falls to us and the Ts go too quickly.

Just curious what tackles you are interested in? I was on the tackle bandwagon early on, but now it looks like Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga, and Trent Williams should all be gone in the top 10 (or top 15 at worst), Bruce Campbell has future Raider written all over him, and Anthony Davis has struggled in just about every workout and interview that I have heard about since the draft season started, with people questioning his work ethic, maturity, etc.

WoodleyofTroy
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Say it with me.... BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Earl Thomas.

papillon
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Say it with me.... BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Earl Thomas.

I'll be happy to say it with you:

Earl Thomas
Earl Thomas

:tt2

Pappy

NW Steeler
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
:Agree

SteelerNation1
04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I am 100% on the ET bandwagon!

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM

I'm a big Earl Thomas fan as well, but I prefer

http://www.freewebs.com/karmaandmynameisearl/my+name+is+earl+logo.jpg

to

http://opinionsandexpressions.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/et_poster.jpg

I don't want us drafting a Sam Cassell!

http://thephillyphour.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/sam_cassell_et.jpg

phillyesq
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Make some room, because I think I'm aboard as well!

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
who wouldnt love thomas at #18? i also wouldnt be upset if the steelers traded up to get him because i doubt he will still be on the board

TD386Steel
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I never post but I will for Earl Thomas :tt1

Snatch98
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm also on this Wagon. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas or Mays. I lean Thomas.

NJ-STEELER
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
a point brought up on path to the draft last night was the colts used to struggle whenever bob sanders was injured. but, recently they've adapted well because they added depth to the secondary.

the suggestted the same may be true if the steelers solidify the secondary if/when troy misses games

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
a point brought up on path to the draft last night was the colts used to struggle whenever bob sanders was injured. but, recently they've adapted well because they added depth to the secondary.

the suggestted the same may be true if the steelers solidify the secondary if/when troy misses games

in other words, find somebody else to start at CB in place of Willie Gay and have enough safety depth where you're not forced to play someone as lousy as Tyrone Carter.

Discipline of Steel
04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
This may be bad news, lets hope ET doesnt start flying up the board.

Hamstring isnt a lifetime recurring injury. Once identified as an issue, extra sprints, massage, and heat applications can build up the blood supply to the muscle so the injury disappears.

dirt
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I never post but I will for Earl Thomas :tt1

I post even less but count me in too.

flippy
04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I still want Berry to slip so we can get him.

Teams may shy away from taking a safety so high in the first round. But Berry is just so good, I think someone will do it. But hopefully not. Please let 3 QBs go high. Let the Raiders make a dumb move.

I have a hunch Berry's gonna slide to Cleveland @ 7 and Mangini's gonna take him cause he's a schmuck.