PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu comparisons could lift USC’s Mays

PSU_dropout43
04-01-2010, 01:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqnSKlswO7Y1ZFt5dRH0RKI5nYcB?slug=cr-maysusc033110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Polamalu comparisons could lift USC’s Mays
by Charles Robinson

LOS ANGELES – The rock star ambience was absent. There were no impromptu meetings between NFL power brokers between drills, and most of the big-name agents were nowhere to be found. Even the sunshine struggled to make an appearance, stifled by endless clouds hanging overhead.

Pro day at the University of Southern California is usually a Mardi Gras of talent, but Wednesday’s festival was more of a one-float parade: safety Taylor Mays … and everyone else. Undoubtedly, it was a far cry from the orgy of talent in the 2008 and 2009 drafts, in which the Trojans produced 12 players who were plucked in the top two rounds (seven in the first, five in the second). That’s not to say USC has lost all that much juice. Wednesday’s event still drew more than 40 coaches, scouts and executives, including Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox and Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

But for most on hand, it was largely an affair for locking in the middle and late sections of draft boards, with the bulk of USC’s draftable talent – as many as five or six players – expected to go after the first two rounds. Nevertheless, three NFL sources said Mays was a lock to go in the top 32 picks, making him the 15th first-round pick to come out of the recruiting classes of former coach Pete Carroll. And the Trojans might squeak in one more, too, with evaluators suggesting that offensive tackle Charles Brown has a chance to sneak into the first round, depending on when the run on offensive linemen occurs.

Yet it’s Mays who has been the most intriguing storyline in recent days, as griping began over his ball skills (the ability to track a ball in the air and make a play on it) and whether he’s a more physical workout freak than football player. Thought to be a top 10 pick had he entered the 2009 draft, Mays’ stock dropped last season, when he produced only one interception – giving him two in his final three seasons at USC – and evaluators questioned whether he had elite ball skills. Then came the scouting combine, when a timing error erased what was believed to be a jaw-dropping 4.31 second 40-yard dash … numbers that were unheard of for a 6-foot-3, 230-pound safety.

“He’s a first-round pick,” said one evaluator Wednesday. “I think he’s going to be a very good NFL player, too.”

Asked to identify some of Mays’ warts, another evaluator said: “He’s got great, great measurables, but the production doesn’t match up with it. He’s not a great face-up tackler. You don’t see the speed on tape all the time – you see glimpses, but it’s not consistently there. But all of that said, he’s going to be a first-round pick. I called [an AFC executive] who watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he thought [Mays] had a great week.”

Mays isn’t the first USC safety to hear some last-second nitpicking. Former Trojan Troy Polamalu(notes) heard it too, when some evaluators questioned whether his instincts were good enough to get the job done consistently in the NFL. Five Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl rings later with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the world has long forgotten any of the knocks that were whispered heading into the 2003 draft.

“Polamalu had one interception his senior year at USC, and that was in a Pete Carroll defense,” said Mays’ agent, Gary Wichard. “But you put him with the Steelers and [defensive coordinator] Dick LeBeau, and look at what he was able to do.”

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/03/ipt/1270094214.jpg
The Troy Polamalu, pictured in 2002 as a Trojan, was the 16th overall pick in the NFL draft the following year.

(Getty Images)

And as one NFL source in attendance pointed out Wednesday, “Mays wasn’t expected to get a lot of interceptions where they put him in that defense. He played the deep routes a lot. He was expected to keep the big plays from happening. And for the most part, that’s what he did.”

His ability to do more than tackle and hit has definitely been one of the sore spots for Mays since USC’s season ended. When he was coached at the Senior Bowl by the Miami Dolphins staff, he was taken far out of his comfort zone and thrust into situations where he had to line up on tight ends and handle more one-on-one coverage. It led to some mixed reviews, but Miami’s coach saw progress along the way, including an interception by Mays in the Senior Bowl. And since that week, he has spent the lions’ share of his time working on his ball skills and some of the agility that helps safeties make impact plays.

“In the NFL, you get paid to get interceptions,” Mays said. “I started trying to do that [at the Senior Bowl]. I dropped a pass in practice, and then I caught an interception in the game. It kind of started to pay off once I started to look for the ball. … I know I can do it. I wasn’t really coached just to do that at USC, but I know I can make that transition in the NFL.”

He didn’t run a 40-yard dash at Wednesday’s pro day, but went through a handful of agility and positional drills to show he could adapt to coaching and what would be needed on the next level.

“Showing I could backpedal, showing I could change direction, showing I’ve got ball skills, and could track the ball in the air and go up and catch it – that’s what I wanted to show,” Mays said. “That’s why these [defensive back] drills I thought were the most important thing for me.”

Time will tell if it translates into Polamalu-like success. But at least one thing was clear from executives on hand: like the other coveted USC safety, the late hand-wringing isn’t expected to translate into much of a draft day slide.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Earl Thomas is much more similar to Troy Polamalu than Taylor Mays is.

Dee Dub
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
"And as one NFL source in attendance pointed out Wednesday, “Mays wasn’t expected to get a lot of interceptions where they put him in that defense. He played the deep routes a lot. He was expected to keep the big plays from happening. And for the most part, that’s what he did.”

Hmmmmmmmmm?? Where have I heard this before??? :wink:

SteelCzar76
04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Coach Carroll almost exclusively ran cover one at SC. Take that into account with the fact that we lost our entire blue chip starting lb corps last year, and if you have ever played football you realize just how difficult it would be to "ballhawk" as a FS in such circumstances.

At SC,...all safeties are expected to be "strong" in terms of physicality and in run support no matter how athletic.

Taylor in Coach Lebeau's system which is based far more on cover 2 zone principles would be a considerable force in the NFL in terms of not only delivering hits that would make even a Ryan Clark look "soft",..but also in terms of interceptions and forcing fumbles.

Dee Dub
04-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Coach Carroll almost exclusively ran cover one at SC. Take that into account with the fact that we lost our entire blue chip starting lb corps last year, and if you have ever played football you realize just how difficult it would be to "ballhawk" as a FS in such circumstances.

At SC,...all safeties are expected to be "strong" in terms of physicality and in run support no matter how athletic.

This is true...and if you go back to May's freshman year where he played more of the traditional free safety role you can see a major difference in his overall results.

Snatch98
04-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm on the Mays wagon but do you draft Taylor Mays when you just resigned Ryan Clark and picked up Will Allen for depth? I could see the Steelers going Thomas because of his ability to maybe play corner but I don't think drafting Mays is realistic. I guess we'll see. I can't say I'd be upset if they did draft Mays. Dude is a tank.

SteelAbility
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
If his stock goes up only because he's a USC safety, just like Troy is, then somebody is going to making a serious vanity pick. Don't get me wrong. The guy is good. But stock that is inflated based on wearing the same uniform is still a poor buy. If I wear Air Jordan's my game will be just like Michael, right? :roll:

SteelCzar76
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm on the Mays wagon but do you draft Taylor Mays when you just resigned Ryan Clark and picked up Will Allen for depth? I could see the Steelers going Thomas because of his ability to maybe play corner but I don't think drafting Mays is realistic. I guess we'll see. I can't say I'd be upset if they did draft Mays. Dude is a tank.

I feel you 98. But let's think about it like this,.. Allen is a "Depth/Special Teams quality" guy. If Troy goes down who will replace him with any serious effectiveness at Strong ? And Clark came into the league smallish and running a 4.65 in pads as UFA,...what if he continues to regress at an even faster rate than anyone anticipates ? (Though he's smart, tough and professional)

I'm just sayin,..who's the "next generation" elite S at either strong or Free on our roster ? I know everyone likes Thomas,..but Taylor is a True Safety at either spot at LEAGUE LEVEL.

Bottom line,..i feel that in regards to the 1st round,... if the F/O wants a Corner then they should take Haden or Wilson. If they want a Safety it should Berry or Mays. Therefore they have no need to endure any of the nonsense that comes with supposed "position flexibility as their main strength" players. HOPING that they MIGHT pan out for at least the next several seasons.

WoodleyofTroy
04-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't think Mays is the type you put on any team to build around (like Troy and Ed Reed), however if you put him in a situation like the Steelers, you'd get some big plays.

But how will he hold up if Troy is not playing along side him?

I think he'd turn into a Roy Williams by himself out there.

Shoe
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Taylor in Coach Lebeau's system which is based far more on cover 2 zone principles would be a considerable force in the NFL in terms of not only delivering hits that would make even a Ryan Clark look "soft",..but also in terms of interceptions and forcing fumbles.

That right there is some DISRESPECT, as a Steeler fan, for Ryan Clark. I realize that you are making a point here, but I refuse to call Clark soft after how much the guy puts his body on the line for the team (see MacGahee hit, Welker hit). Especially the MacGahee hit... freezing cold, vs. a load of an RB, he doesn't just come up and tackle the guy... he abandons all thoughts of career, self-preservation, and K him (and himself) TFO! That's the opposite of SOFT. And I'd go so far as to say Mays wouldn't even do that.

SteelCzar76
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't think Mays is the type you put on any team to build around (like Troy and Ed Reed), however if you put him in a situation like the Steelers, you'd get some big plays.

Taylor is as similar to Roy Williams,...as Troy is to Lethon Flowers. (Stop playing)

SteelCzar76
04-01-2010, 08:32 PM

That right there is some DISRESPECT, as a Steeler fan, for Ryan Clark. I realize that you are making a point here, but I refuse to call Clark soft after how much the guy puts his body on the line for the team (see MacGahee hit, Welker hit). Especially the MacGahee hit... freezing cold, vs. a load of an RB, he doesn't just come up and tackle the guy... he abandons all thoughts of career, self-preservation, and K him (and himself) TFO! That's the opposite of SOFT. And I'd go so far as to say Mays wouldn't even do that.

"Really" ?

Chadman
04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Chadman would have no problem if the Steelers selected Taylor Mays at #18.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Taylor is as similar to Roy Williams,...as Troy is to Lethon Flowers. (Stop playing)

Taylor Mays, Roy Williams, and Lee Flowers are all safeties that could really lay the wood on someone (an excellent 8th man in the box), but none are the kind of guy that you want to rely on to cover someone downfield. Mays has raw straight-line speed, but not the hips that allow him a smooth change of direction, ball skills, instincts, etc. to be a complete safety (like Troy is, for instance). In the pass-happy NFL of today, coverage ability is the most important aspect of any DB's game (CB, SS, or FS) with other aspects such as an ability to support the run being a secondary bonus.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010tmays.php

2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Taylor Mays

Taylor Mays, 6-4/225
Safety
USC

Taylor Mays Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire (Updated 10/26)

Extremely rare height and long arms
Tremendous bulk and strength
Athletic freak
Coordinated and can change directions quickly
Elite measurables
Physical nature
Big hitter
Deep closing speed
Good in run support
Eliminates space quickly
Experienced
Good durability

Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average. Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

SteelCzar76
04-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Taylor Mays, Roy Williams, and Lee Flowers are all safeties that could really lay the wood on someone (an excellent 8th man in the box), but none are the kind of guy that you want to rely on to cover someone downfield. Mays has raw straight-line speed, but not the hips that allow him a smooth change of direction, ball skills, instincts, etc. to be a complete safety (like Troy is, for instance). In the pass-happy NFL of today, coverage ability is the most important aspect of any DB's game (CB, SS, or FS) with other aspects such as an ability to support the run being a secondary bonus.

Taylor Mays, 6-4/225
Safety
USC

Athletic freak
Elite measurables
Physical nature
Big hitter
Deep closing speed
Good in run support
Eliminates space quickly
Experienced
Good durability

Weaknesses:
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Plays out of control

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average. Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

I don't know if i'd quote Matt Mcguire of Walters as the most objective source when it comes to any Trojan Ruthless. :lol:

And again, i have to disagree with you in regards to any Taylor to Roy Williams or Lethon Flowers comparisons. Neither one of those guys ever at any point in their lives or in the best of their dreams possessed even half of the physical abilities that Taylor does. (especially speed or otherwise)

In a 3-4 zone blitz system,...with a front seven that handles the run well, where he would only be responsible for half of the field in coverage you would see just how effective Mays is against the pass.

All this "can't cover enforcer" nonsense was said about Troy as well. (which we have already gone over via links from the past and otherwise in different threads)

And he (Troy) has gone on to be one of the finest (if not the best) DB's in the league in terms of not only ball skills but in every aspect of the position.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Taylor Mays, 6-4/225
Safety
USC

Athletic freak
Elite measurables
Physical nature
Big hitter
Deep closing speed
Good in run support
Eliminates space quickly
Experienced
Good durability

Weaknesses:
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Plays out of control

I don't know if i'd quote Matt Mcguire of Walters as the most objective source when it comes to any Trojan Ruthless. :lol:

And again, i have to disagree with you in regards to any Taylor to Roy Williams or Lethon Flowers comparisons. Neither one of those guys ever at any point in their lives or in the best of their dreams possessed even half of the physical abilities that Taylor does. (especially speed or otherwise)

In a 3-4 zone blitz system,...with a front seven that handles the run well, where he would only be responsible for half of the field in coverage you would see just how effective Mays is against the pass.

All this "can't cover enforcer" nonsense was said about Troy as well. (which we have already gone over via links from the past and otherwise in different threads)

And he (Troy) has gone on to be one of the finest (if not the best) DB's in the league in terms of not only ball skills but in every aspect of the position.

I know Troy Polamalu. Troy Polamalu is a safety of mine. And Taylor Mays, sir, is no Troy Polamalu.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/05/23/image1646603x.jpg

:P

SteelCzar76
04-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Taylor Mays, 6-4/225
Safety
USC

Athletic freak
Elite measurables
Physical nature
Big hitter
Deep closing speed
Good in run support
Eliminates space quickly
Experienced
Good durability

Weaknesses:
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Plays out of control

I know Troy Polamalu. Troy Polamalu is a safety of mine. And Taylor Mays, sir, is no Troy Polamalu.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/05/23/image1646603x.jpg

:P

http://www.solcomhouse.com/images/ali_howard.gif

"No one can be Troy,...for he must be the greatest. But you'd be hard pressed to even suggest that most Trojans could become simply the latest." I must rumble Ruthless,.i must rumble. :P :lol:

WoodleyofTroy
04-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin "does not like" USC S Taylor Mays as a draft prospect, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Safeties have to cover in Tomlin's scheme. Mays isn't a good enough cover man to succeed, or enough of a play-maker to make up for his deficiencies against the pass. The Post-Gazette says Tomlin does like Virginia Tech SS Kam Chancellor, oddly. Chancellor is essentially a poor man's Mays.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin "does not like" USC S Taylor Mays as a draft prospect, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Safeties have to cover in Tomlin's scheme. Mays isn't a good enough cover man to succeed, or enough of a play-maker to make up for his deficiencies against the pass. The Post-Gazette says Tomlin does like Virginia Tech SS Kam Chancellor, oddly. Chancellor is essentially a poor man's Mays.

Crap. This probably means he does like Mays and is trying to pull a Revis switcheroo. Crap, Crap, Crap.

SteelCzar76
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM

Crap. This probably means he does like Mays and is trying to pull a Revis switcheroo. Crap, Crap, Crap.

Ruthless you know that the 1st Rnd of the Draft much like life should never be Checkers. And if indeed Tomlin and the front office have decided to play Chess,...

http://jaypgreene.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dr-evil-zip-it.jpg

"Zip it !" :P :lol:

Oh,..i mean,....uuuh,... "Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas, Sean Weatherspoon, Jared Odrick, Rolando Mcclain, CJ Spiller or Maurkice Pouncey in round one !! Woooo Hoooo !!!" :tt1 :tt1