PDA

View Full Version : Hampton a regular at offseason workouts

PSU_dropout43
03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Hampton a regular at offseason workouts

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has yet to participate in the Steelers’ offseason workouts, and that might be the case even if he weren’t under investigation for sexual assault.

That is because the workouts are voluntary — and even less significant than the offseason practices that are also optional but at least entail more football-related activities.

“These things are always kind of weird because guys come and go and you really can’t gauge how many people were here and who was here at the time,” Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said earlier this week. “There was a lot of guys who weren’t here (Monday) and they’ll start straggling in the closer we get to camp.”

One player who has not been a straggler is nose tackle Casey Hampton.

He has been a regular at the team's practice facility, and the Steelers have to be thrilled with the 6-1, 325-pounder’s attendance at the offseason training sessions. By all accounts, it has been sterling and that has to qualify as at least a mild surprise.

Hampton has made no secret of the fact that he likes offseason practices and conditioning about as much as he does cut blocks. Two years ago he skipped all of the voluntary offseason practices and showed up for training camp so out of shape that coach Mike Tomlin banished him to the physically unable to perform list.

Hampton’s history of toeing the line when it comes to his weight led to the inevitable questions of what would happen after the Steelers signed the five-time Pro Bowler to a three-year, $21.2 million contract.

So far, so good on that front as Hampton is giving every indication that his new deal has made him anything but complacent.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
this is Big Snack's way of saying "thank you" to the Steelers organization for giving him his last big contract.

a very classy move on his part, if you ask me! :Clap

Chadman
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
WTF???

:wft

A Steeler story that shows good character this off season?

Must be a typo somewhere...

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
WTF???

:wft

A Steeler story that shows good character this off season?

Must be a typo somewhere...

i'm very proud of Casey for showing some much needed leadership at an important time.
his locker room presence is desperately needed right now, and he's stepping up.

i may have to go out and buy his jersey now... :tt2

phillyesq
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Refreshing to finally see a positive offseason story. This is great to hear.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Here is another guy who was once vilified by the Steelers faithful for one incident. Amazing how fickle our fans can be sometimes. Way to go Casey!

stlrz d
03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
this is Big Snack's way of saying "thank you" to the Steelers organization for giving him his last big contract.

Wait...we were told once he got paid he'd just sit back, get fatter and be no help to us at all.

Ozey74
03-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Were the offseason workouts at the Golden Corral?

isonator07
03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Were the offseason workouts at the Golden Corral?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steeler_george
04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Free doughnuts?

Shoe
04-07-2010, 08:11 PM

CLASSY? The guy is being paid $21,000,000.00
Only in America can a $21,000,000 worker be considered "classy" for showing up to (voluntary) company functions.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM

CLASSY? The guy is being paid $21,000,000.00
Only in America can a $21,000,000 worker be considered "classy" for showing up to (voluntary) company functions.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Don't get me wrong--I'm happy he's there...but "classy"?

Because of his past actions, Fat Casey has lowered the bar of expectations so much, he is now regarded as "sterling" simply for showing up! Unbe-friggin'-lievable!

ikestops85
04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Wait...we were told once he got paid he'd just sit back, get fatter and be no help to us at all.

I have to admit that I was one of those people and am pleasantly surprised by this development. I don't know if it should be considered "classy" but it certainly shows team leadership.

Way to go Big Snack :tt2 :tt2

NW Steeler
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
It sends the right message and sets an example for the rest of the guys. It also shows that he is serious about "earning" his money.

SteelAbility
04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Not to be a fly in the ointment, but I heard he was there just as a volunteer for being bench pressed. :wink:

SteelAbility
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Were the offseason workouts at the Glutton Corral?

Corrected. :)