PDA

View Full Version : Official Earl Thomas to the Steelers thread.

WoodleyofTroy
03-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Step aside Bradshaw.

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/EThomas.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6EtTua4aft0/SMpsyWN1MPI/AAAAAAAAAeA/Mept1nxpcyA/s400/df+tackle.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/karmaandmynameisearl/my+name+is+earl+logo.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/06/texas-fivereasons/earl-thomas-p1.jpg

http://media.scout.com/media/image/66/663850.jpg

http://blog.pennlive.com/fanbox/2009/01/large_terrible_towel.jpg
"Our Cornerback caught the ball" (probably Safety, but they couldn't help themselves)

What they're saying...

Earl Thomas
5’10, 197 pounds | Safety | Texas

Agility/Hips: Shows smooth, fluid hips in his backpedal. Is a quick-twitch athlete, which would help him if a team decides to use him at cornerback. Exceptional short-area quickness. Can turn his hips

Ball Skills: Thomas has perhaps the best ball skills of any defensive back in this year’s class – Eric Berry included. Thomas is a natural with the ball in the air. He catches the ball like a wide receiver and properly carries the ball. Intercepted eight passes as a sophomore, and returned two for touchdowns.

Body Control: Great high-point agility. Times his leaps really well and reportedly has a good vertical. Maintains his balance while changing direction.

Instincts: Possesses elite recognition skills – both against the pass and sniffing out the run. When he plays back in coverage, Thomas does an excellent job of reading the quarterback’s eyes.

Pass Coverage: Thomas has the skills to be a starting cornerback in the NFL. He stays low in his backpedal and doesn’t take false steps in his break. Adept playing in zone. Has the quickness and playing intelligence to give up a cushion and breaking back on the play. Locates the ball exceptionally well, especially when it’s in the air.

Pursuit: Although Thomas gives up a good amount of size, he doesn’t mind taking on large blockers. Has flawless lateral pursuit.

Run Support: Gives a good effort supporting the run, but doesn’t have the size to always be a factor. Breaks on the ball really well. Not much more than a help player against the inside run. Doesn’t have the size to shoot through gaps in the middle and can be manhandled by guards and centers. Does a nice job of working the outside run.

Size: Listed by Texas at 5-foot-10 and 197 pounds, Thomas has average size for the position. His legs are strong throughout, so if he gets bigger he may not face a loss of quickness or speed. Where Thomas needs to get much stronger is in his upper body. He’s tight-skinned, but doesn’t have enough power to take on strong running backs in the open field.

Speed: Has very good straight-line speed to stay with receivers on deep routes. With his speed, Thomas can afford to play off tight ends which allows him to diagnose the play. Tackling: Solid contact tackler. Solid wrap-up tackler in the open space and will lower his shoulder and pop the ball carrier. In traffic and near the line of scrimmage, Thomas will sometimes become an arm tackler and miss. When he shows good technique, Thomas shows he can lower his pads and run through receivers.

Final word: Thomas had nothing short of a phenomenal season. He was second on Texas with 71 total tackles. He intercepted eight passes and totaled 16 pass breakups and 24 passes defended. Add to those numbers five tackles for a loss and you have one of the best seasons for a defensive back ever.

So when Thomas, a redshirt sophomore, announced he was entering the 2010 NFL Draft, it was no surprise. He was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation’s top defensive back. Several publications named him a first-team All-American and first-team All-Big-12 member.

Thomas started every game he played at Texas, 27 in total. Some might consider him as inexperienced, but Thomas has shown he has the football acumen to play at the next level. Played safety in college, but some teams might consider him a cornerback. His ball skills, agility and speed would say as much

Discipline of Steel
03-30-2010, 05:49 PM
SHHHHhhhhhhhh! :nono We dont want the other teams to know this.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
IF Earl Thomas is still available at #18, i believe the Steelers will select him.

but that is a big IF...i don't think Thomas lasts until the 18th pick.

flippy
03-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Every time I read about a player, I want him....

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Even if the team was willing to re-issue Bradshaw's #12 (which they aren't), NFL DB's can't have a number lower than 20 anyway. But I wouldn't mind seeing Earl in another number in the black and gold, though. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM

kinda like Ben when he sees young coeds, eh? :wink:

Shawn
03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
IF Earl Thomas is still available at #18, i believe the Steelers will select him.

I don't even believe Haden is higher on the Steeler draft board. He is the clear pick if available. I don't believe he will be however. I think Haden and Thomas will be gone. I would think the choice will be between Iupati, Weatherspoon and Odrick.

Lebsteel
03-30-2010, 08:22 PM

I don't even believe Haden is higher on the Steeler draft board. He is the clear pick if available. I don't believe he will be however. I think Haden and Thomas will be gone. I would think the choice will be between Iupati, Weatherspoon and Odrick.
I really hope the 49ers see the value in taking Iupati and make him their choice at 17 :wink:

steelz09
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
I see this as a "Brandon Albert" case.

A guy that most feel is a can't miss prospect. I think us as fans, and most FO's probably see the same.

However, like Albert, I fear that he will be gone before #18. If the Steelers want him, they may have to move up a few spots.

MeetJoeGreene
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Me too.

Except for CJ SPiller. :stirpot :Beer :tt1 :twisted: :mrgreen:

steeler_george
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Me too.

Me too...even cj spiller.

A guy that most feel is a can't miss prospect. I think us as fans, and most FO's probably see the same.

However, like Albert, I fear that he will be gone before #18. If the Steelers want him, they may have to move up a few spots.

I wanted Albert last year too. Wasn't he drafted pretty early for a G or was that because some scouts believed he could play LT ? Are their any similarities besides both playing guard?

Shawn
03-31-2010, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't cry any longer if we grabbed Spiller. I still want a power back however. I would be pretty happy if we grabbed Spiller and Blount.

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Me too.

Me too...even cj spiller.

I wanted Albert last year too. Wasn't he drafted pretty early for a G or was that because some scouts believed he could play LT ? Are their any similarities besides both playing guard?

Albert was drafted 2 years ago, not last year. And from what I could tell, j was comparing Earl Thomas to Brandon Albert (not as players, obviously, since Albert is nearly twice the size of Thomas, but rather the situation of us expecting a guy to be there when we draft, but then he shoots up draft boards and gets taken earlier than we initially expected).

WoodleyofTroy
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Texas’ Thomas pulls hamstring after 4.37-second 40
Posted: March 31st, 2010 | Gil Brandt

AUSTIN, Texas — Earl Thomas already was in good standing with NFL scouts after an impressive combine performance last month. But the safety outdid himself — and every other prospect Texas had on display — at the school’s pro day Wednesday before suffering a setback.

Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) ran a blazing 4.37-second 40-yard dash, which would have tied for the third-fastest time at the combine. It also would have been the best time among all defensive backs by .08 seconds. But the run came at a cost for Thomas, who pulled his hamstring and didn’t do any other drills.

Thomas, an accomplished pianist who also plays the organ, saxophone and drums, has an interesting back story. He left school after his sophomore year (he was a redshirt sophomore last season), but coach Mack Brown explained to me that it was because the safety’s home in Orange, Texas, was devastated by Hurricane Rita in 2005, forcing his family to live in a hotel for a year.

Lebsteel
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM

AUSTIN, Texas — Earl Thomas already was in good standing with NFL scouts after an impressive combine performance last month. But the safety outdid himself — and every other prospect Texas had on display — at the school’s pro day Wednesday before suffering a setback.

Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) ran a blazing 4.37-second 40-yard dash, which would have tied for the third-fastest time at the combine. It also would have been the best time among all defensive backs by .08 seconds. But the run came at a cost for Thomas, who pulled his hamstring and didn’t do any other drills.

Thomas, an accomplished pianist who also plays the organ, saxophone and drums, has an interesting back story. He left school after his sophomore year (he was a redshirt sophomore last season), but coach Mack Brown explained to me that it was because the safety’s home in Orange, Texas, was devastated by Hurricane Rita in 2005, forcing his family to live in a hotel for a year.
Pulled hamstring...he is obviously injury prone, so I hope his draft stock plummets all the way to #18!

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Pulled hamstring...he is obviously injury prone, so I hope his draft stock plummets all the way to #18!

i know you're being facetious, but there is very little chance Thomas drops to us now that he ran a 4.37! i wish he would have pulled his hamstring before he finished the 40 and posted that time... :Hater

Lebsteel
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM

i know you're being facetious, but there is very little chance Thomas drops to us now that he ran a 4.37! i wish he would have pulled his hamstring before he finished the 40 and posted that time... :Hater
Yep, but maybe that will make Hayden or McClain drop closer to 18?

SteelCzar76
03-31-2010, 11:09 PM

I really hope the 49ers see the value in taking Iupati and make him their choice at 17 :wink:

"Yes,...yes,..perhaps the Niners will see value in Iupati ?!" (Twisting my "Iupati's Arch Nemesis" villan mustache.) lol

SteelCzar76
03-31-2010, 11:14 PM

Yep, but maybe that will make Hayden or McClain drop closer to 18?

I don't think McClain would make it past the Broncos, Dolphins and the Giants. But Haden is looking like more of a possibility than i think anyone anticipated at 18. (Or well,..at least 17 depending on what the Titans do)