PDA

View Full Version : Big doubts about Ben: Support for Roethlisberger is wavering

fordfixer
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Big doubts about Ben: Support for Roethlisberger is wavering
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... over_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2010-03-29-ben-roethlisberger-cover_N.htm)

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
PITTSBURGH — At Peppi's Old Tyme Sandwich Shops, the "Roethlisburger" remains on the menu — a mix of ground beef, sausage, scrambled eggs, grilled onions and American cheese, created in tribute to the Pittsburgh Steelers star quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

But these days, even the owner of Peppi's has joined fans here in wondering about Roethlisberger, whose on-field heroics — he led the team to Super Bowl titles in the 2005 and 2008 seasons — have been overshadowed recently by a Georgia woman's allegation that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her. It is the second time in a year the 28-year-old quarterback has been the focus of such allegations.

"It's just frustrating to see a guy that's got a lot going for him and finds himself in another one of these situations," Jeff Trebac says. "But you just think why? How can this happen again?"

Roethlisberger is entering what would be the prime of a stellar NFL career. But he finds himself in another situation that has raised questions about his judgment off the field, led Steel City fans to wonder about their star's future, shaken one of the league's most stable franchises and prompted Commissioner Roger Goodell to make it clear that he was unhappy with Roethlisberger's conduct and would meet with him at the "appropriate" time.

The discontent stems from an allegation March 5 by a 20-year-old college student who said Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in a nightclub in Milledgeville, Ga. No charges have been filed, and police have not revealed specifics of the alleged assault.

Roethlisberger has not commented, other than to say, through his attorneys, that he is "completely innocent."

The case is the third in a series of incidents that have called Roethlisberger's judgment into question. Last July, Andrea McNulty filed a civil suit against Roethlisberger, alleging he raped her in 2008. Roethlisberger denied the claim, no criminal charges have been filed and Roethlisberger has countersued. In June 2006, after winning his first Super Bowl title, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw and nose in a motorcycle accident. He was not wearing a helmet.

The Steelers have won six Super Bowls under the ownership of the founding Rooney family — lauded for building teams through stability, family-style loyalty to players and coaches and their active role in civic affairs.

At last week's NFL owners meeting in Orlando, Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team was on hold "until they complete the investigation."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who says he is "highly concerned for our franchise and Ben personally," elaborated at the owners meeting. "It's well known we're very, very conscious about how we do business, that we're highly concerned about our image perception, how we conduct ourselves."

Roethlisberger isn't the only Steeler making headlines. Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes is being sued by Anshonoe Mills, who alleges Holmes threw a glass at her, resulting in facial cuts, at a nightclub this month. Holmes denied wrongdoing in an interview with ESPN on Monday.

Also Monday, Roethlisberger did not report for the start of the team's voluntary workout program, and team spokesman Dave Lockett said the quarterback would not work out with his teammates this week. A mandatory minicamp opens April 30.

At the team complex last week, tight end Heath Miller, among players doing voluntary workouts, declined to comment. "Mr. Rooney's made a statement. Coach Tomlin's made a statement. So as players we're standing behind their statements."

While the investigation plays out, some already see a pattern.

"He doesn't have any judgment," says Pittsburgh-based sports agent Ralph Cindrich, a former NFL linebacker. "He is definitely, in the eyes of the law, not guilty (at this stage of the case). Still, you have to question his judgment with a 20-year-old college student. … Where is your mind?

"I don't think there's any question that Ben has lost the city. The Rooney family is just on hold trying to see what the facts are. But there isn't a bank of goodwill that Ben has to go to."

Stan Savran, a Pittsburgh TV and radio broadcaster for 34 years, says Roethlisberger's local reputation has taken a hit.

"I think his image has suffered. … Almost 100% have kind of lined up against him," says Savran, who does a talk show on ESPN Radio 1250 and regional TV for FSN Pittsburgh. Savran links that reaction to the region's devotion to the Rooneys.

"I think they buy into the fact that the Steelers not only win, but do things the right way. … They feel what Ben has done is a slap in the face to the Rooneys."

NFL discipline possible

Roethlisberger could face repercussions outside the courtroom before the Georgia case is completed.

The league's personal-conduct policy says the commissioner can require counseling and fine or suspend players for "conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence" of the NFL "even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime." Goodell expressed concern that Roethlisberger "continues to put himself in this position."

Should Roethlisberger, who signed an eight-year, $102 million contract in 2008, not be available for the season's start, Pittsburgh has no proven option at the team's No. 1 position. Dennis Dixon, 25, is under contract and has one start. Charlie Batch, a backup in Pittsburgh the last eight seasons, signed a two-year deal with the team last week.

At what point might an NFL club decide it's time to sever ties with a player?

"There's no perfect scenario you go through that governs all situations," says Charley Casserly, former general manager of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans and now an analyst for NFL Network and CBS Sports.

Casserly says "verified facts" are key. "Has he been legally found guilty?" Casserly also says he'd consider whether there have been repeat offenses, whether the player "wants to prove" he can change behavior and whether he has become a "detriment" to the team.

As for fans, opinions vary.

Don Harvey, 44, says he was a "little miffed" at Roethlisberger when he first heard reports from Georgia because it was his second "so-called offense, dealing with the same type of problem."

Sharon Smith, 30, was in Roethlisberger's corner: "I think these women are full of crap and I think they're just taking advantage."

Says Noam Hanish, 25: "If he's guilty, he's guilty, and he'll go through the process."

Are sponsorships at risk?

In 2004, the Steelers made Roethlisberger the 11th overall pick in the NFL draft out of Miami University of Ohio. In Pittsburgh, he was placed in an ideal situation for a young quarterback to develop. But Roethlisberger became a starter early in his rookie season when veteran Tommy Maddox was hurt, and he led the Steelers to a 15-1 regular-season mark and the AFC Championship Game.

That type of success brought sponsorships, and Roethlisberger counts Nike among them. Last week, spokesman KeJuan Wilkins said Nike "declined to comment (on the current case)."

Ty Ballou, president and CEO of Pittsburgh-based PLB Sports, which markets the Big Ben's Beef Jerky brand, says the relationship will continue for now. But he expresses concern.

"You have to put yourself in good positions. And Ben unfortunately hasn't," Ballou says. "I hope this will truly be the last time something like this happens."

The quarterback is involved in charity work, and his Ben Roethlisberger Foundation has provided grants to support canine units at police and fire departments across the country.

For now, Roethlisberger appears to be eschewing the spotlight. An avid golfer — he is a regular at celebrity tournaments — he withdrew from a scheduled appearance at a pro-am scheduled for today and Wednesday in California.

Cliff Hite, the football coach at Findlay High School in Ohio during Roethlisberger's years there and now a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, says he hasn't spoken with him since his first Super Bowl win.

"I think the town is behind Ben. It always has been," Hite says. "I know the Ben that left here was a good guy, and I want to hope and pray that he still is."

JAR
03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
So Steelers fans would rather side with a jilted one night stand with mental problems and a lying, drunken co-ed than with the QB who had been convicted of NOTHING and has brought more to Steeler Nation since another QB named Terry who was also run out of town.

Imagine how much worse it would have been for Bradshaw, O'Donnell and Stewart had the internet been in full bloom like it is now.

feltdizz
03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
So Steelers fans would rather side with a jilted one night stand with mental problems and a lying, drunken co-ed than with the QB who had been convicted of NOTHING and has brought more to Steeler Nation since another QB named Terry who was also run out of town.

Imagine how much worse it would have been for Bradshaw, O'Donnell and Stewart had the internet been in full bloom like it is now.

They aren't siding with the chick.. they are just tired of having to choose sides twice in a year.

I think all the QB's you mentioned felt as though the media was in full bloom when they were at their lowest. Bradshaw admitted he was at fault for holding onto the baggage after felling like he was run out of town.

O'Donnell can eat a d### because he never came back to town.

JAR
03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

They aren't siding with the chick.. they are just tired of having to choose sides twice in a year.

I think all the QB's you mentioned felt as though the media was in full bloom when they were at their lowest. Bradshaw admitted he was at fault for holding onto the baggage after felling like he was run out of town.

Tired of having to chose sides because two less than credible females appear to have targeted Ben for their BS? Just how is it Ben's fault exactly? And please, don't give me, the Ben shouldn't be in bars garbage either.

cruzer8
03-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Tired of having to chose sides because two less than credible females appear to have targeted Ben for their BS? Just how is it Ben's fault exactly? And please, don't give me, the Ben shouldn't be in bars garbage either.

Logic doesn't work with that joker. Just let it go.

feltdizz
03-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Tired of having to chose sides because two less than credible females appear to have targeted Ben for their BS?

yep... Some fans would much prefer NOT having to entertain another accusation this off season.

Sorry if it frustrates you..

frankthetank1
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM

he can go to bars but why does he have to have "contact" with a 20 year old chick who is wasted and he doesnt know? is that smart if you had 100 million dollars that isnt a shure thing? if i had a contract worth that much money i wouldnt take stupid risks. but then again i always wore a helmet when i rode a crotch rocket :wink:

kaydee
03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
As a female, I don't find Ben attractive at all. I love him as our QB, but I just don't think he's good lookin, but to each her own, I guess.

My problem with Ben and this entire situation has to do with why he keeps putting himself in these situations to begin with. The girl involved in Georgia is at fault, as well, for being in the bar when she is underage, but I've been there, done that, too, so who am I to judge? Ben, however, should be more mature about these situations, but he's not. I think Ben has an entitlement issue, just like Tiger Woods. As an unmarried, two-time winning SB QB, Ben could probably get just about any girl he wanted, so why he continues to put his career, reputation, endorsements, and the Pittsburgh Steelers' organization in such jeopardy is baffling to me. I think he's very immature and a dumbass.

papillon
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM

JAR, I have to disagree here, I believe it is Ben's fault he's in this situation.

Who are we to blame? The girl? His bodyguards? The nightclub? The bartender? Who went into the bathroom with a 20 year old coed? There has to be culpability for this somewhere. We know there was sexual contact. We're not sure what kind. We're certain that Ben was there alone with the girl. That makes it difficult for me to find blame anywhere but with Ben, regardless, of the outcome.

I don't care what Ben does for fun, but trolling for coeds seems like a bad idea to me for a man of means and stature in life due to his wealth. That's just me though.

Just to play Devil's advocate a bit. If it is so hard not to get put in these situations why aren't other players being accused of sexual assault twice in one year?

Pappy

Shawn
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Even if the girl is totally about a money grab...Ben isn't a victim here. He must own his behavior. I don't see how anyone can condone anyone let alone a famous qb going into a public restroom with an intoxicated chick to have relations. We are looking at three potentially illegal acts even while assuming he never physically/sexually assaulted her.

-did he give this underaged girl alcohol?
-public indecency
-was she sober enough to give consent?

Anyway you slice this up Ben handled his business poorly. If he continues doing this nonsense he will lose alot more than his rep. He must mature, he must date in his league and he needs to be on guard at all times. It's time to put childish things away.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Even if the girl is totally about a money grab...Ben isn't a victim here. He must own his behavior. I don't see how anyone can condone anyone let alone a famous qb going into a public restroom with an intoxicated chick to have relations. We are looking at three potentially illegal acts even while assuming he never physically/sexually assaulted her.

-public indecency

Anyway you slice this up Ben handled his business poorly. If he continues doing this nonsense he will lose alot more than his rep. He must mature, he must date in his league and he needs to be on guard at all times. It's time to put childish things away.

Well, at least you didn't limit it to the Steelers, or the even AFCN. Still that's a pretty severe punishment for someone who hasn't even been charged. NTTAWWT. :lol:

Captain Lemming
03-31-2010, 02:58 AM

Oh please, if it werent for the internet nobody would know two women were accusing Ben of sexual assault? Yeah, right, think again. Mike Tyson was accused around when NOD and KS were playing. Stop excusing Bens stupidity with lame arguments.

Who in that entire lengthy article said they believe the women over Ben? People are frustrated because Ben keeps putting himself in these situations. We dont know WHO is lying.

The ONLY PERSON IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD WHO thinks he knows what happened is YOU. You have taken the side that you WANT to be truth and state it as fact.

Ben needs to wise up and act like a wealthy adult, not some stupid hormone driven college kid.

JAR
03-31-2010, 08:42 AM

JAR, I have to disagree here, I believe it is Ben's fault he's in this situation.

Who are we to blame? The girl? His bodyguards? The nightclub? The bartender? Who went into the bathroom with a 20 year old coed? There has to be culpability for this somewhere. We know there was sexual contact. We're not sure what kind. We're certain that Ben was there alone with the girl. That makes it difficult for me to find blame anywhere but with Ben, regardless, of the outcome.

I don't care what Ben does for fun, but trolling for coeds seems like a bad idea to me for a man of means and stature in life due to his wealth. That's just me though.

Just to play Devil's advocate a bit. If it is so hard not to get put in these situations why aren't other players being accused of sexual assault twice in one year?

Pappy

Pappy, "We know there was sexual contact"

Where was that ever said? Ben said he had "contact" with her, which could have been as something simple as hi.

Were is it etched in stone that Ben and the girl were in the bathroom? It's hearsay.

OK, here's a reverse devil's advocate for you. The nut in NV was jilted, she wanted Ben for more than just a one nighter, he didn't. A year later, Ben snubs here, BAM, lawsuit over nothing.

Then a less than credible girl two is in a bar, drunk, she comes from a fine upstanding family (they think they are anyway) she falls down, hits her head, has to go to the hospital. But just how is she going to tell mommy and daddy that their do no wrong little girl was drunk out of her skull and in a bar? Hmmmm, let's see, QB Ben who already accused once was there, just maybe, I can accuse him of assault too and this time they'll believe it.

JAR
03-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Oh please, if it werent for the internet nobody would know two women were accusing Ben of sexual assault? Yeah, right, think again. Mike Tyson was accused around when NOD and KS were playing. Stop excusing Bens stupidity with lame arguments.

Who in that entire lengthy article said they believe the women over Ben? People are frustrated because Ben keeps putting himself in these situations. We dont know WHO is lying.

The ONLY PERSON IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD WHO thinks he knows what happened is YOU. You have taken the side that you WANT to be truth and state it as fact.

Ben needs to wise up and act like a wealthy adult, not some stupid hormone driven college kid.

You haven't been reading this board or other have you? Read this guys blog and some of the replies. Sickening.

http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/

JAR
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM

he can go to bars but why does he have to have "contact" with a 20 year old chick who is wasted and he doesnt know? is that smart if you had 100 million dollars that isnt a shure thing? if i had a contract worth that much money i wouldnt take stupid risks. but then again i always wore a helmet when i rode a crotch rocket :wink:

and that's what YOU chose to do, it doesn't mean others can live their lives the way they wish.

JAR
03-31-2010, 08:55 AM

Pappy

There have been several celebrities accused of and never charged with sexual assault. Bill Cosby for one.

Sometimes, when it rains it pours.

Captain Lemming
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM

You haven't been reading this board or other have you? Read this guys blog and some of the replies. Sickening.

I can find a blog full of responses, with ANY POV on any topic. Big whoop.

Your response was to a specific article, full of opinions and interviews where NOBODY says they believe the women. They just arent "sure" one way or the other.

This board?
I would say less than one in 50 comments ON THIS TOPIC expresses confidence that the women are telling the truth. Even when people say something "doesn't look good" they are usually saying it makes them nervous that it "might" mean something.

My issue is that most like you who seem to "know" he didnt do it, and that you "know" the women are lying, read far more into those of us who are angry because Ben could have easily avoided this, ESPECIALLY THE SECOND TIME.

We are "uneasy" not because we believe the women, but because we dont know who to believe and are uneasy with the thought that our favorite QB "might" have done what he is accussed of doing.

We can talk all we want about possible motives of the women, which do make sense. But this does not mean he didnt do it either.

Blindly defending Ben, when we dont really know the man is just as irresponsible as those who say "he must have done it".

We simply do not know.

Guilty of assault or not, Ben is "guilty" of being stupid for putting himself in a position to be accused TWICE.

That is why so many of his fans are so frustrated.

Shawn
03-31-2010, 10:02 AM

-public indecency

Well, at least you didn't limit it to the Steelers, or the even AFCN. Still that's a pretty severe punishment for someone who hasn't even been charged. NTTAWWT. :lol:

:lol: I always thought Ben and Tom Brady would be a cute couple. :mrgreen:

JAR
03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
[quote=JAR]So Steelers fans would rather side with a jilted one night stand with mental problems and a lying, drunken co-ed than with the QB who had been convicted of NOTHING and has brought more to Steeler Nation since another QB named Terry who was also run out of town.

Your response was to a specific article, full of opinions and interviews where NOBODY says they believe the women. They just arent "sure" one way or the other.

This board?
I would say less than one in 50 comments ON THIS TOPIC expresses confidence that the women are telling the truth. Even when people say something "doesn't look good" they are usually saying it makes them nervous that it "might" mean something.

My issue is that most like you who seem to "know" he didnt do it, and that you "know" the women are lying, read far more into those of us who are angry because Ben could have easily avoided this, ESPECIALLY THE SECOND TIME.

We are "uneasy" not because we believe the women, but because we dont know who to believe and are uneasy with the thought that our favorite QB "might" have done what he is accussed of doing.

We can talk all we want about possible motives of the women, which do make sense. But this does not mean he didnt do it either.

Blindly defending Ben, when we dont really know the man is just as irresponsible as those who say "he must have done it".

We simply do not know.

Guilty of assault or not, Ben is "guilty" of being stupid for putting himself in a position to be accused TWICE.

That is why so many of his fans are so frustrated.[/quote:24zz9v6y]

I am defending Ben like this because he is the victim of needless rumors being spread. Just yesterday, I received the Arnold Palmer puts Ben in his place email again. people just read, believe and share this garbage without ever taking 1 second to find out if it's credible, which of course, that email wasn't.

Everyone is screaming that Ben admitted to "sexual" contact with the girl in GA, no he did not, he admitted to "contact" which could have been a hi, how are you.

The owner of the blog I linked to stated that he thought Ben was probably on drugs.

There are several, Ben did this bad thing or Ben did that bad thing all over the internet.

Ben is taking on a huge character assassination, just like all Steelers QBs do for what ever reason. Steelers fans should be giving their QB the benefit of the doubt, especially considering the circumstances of the first accusation and quit dragging the guy through the mud over possibly doing nothing other than hanging in a bar with his friends.

Look at the latest accusation about Santonio, the girls was nuts.

Shawn
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Pappy

Pappy, "We know there was sexual contact"

Where was that ever said? Ben said he had "contact" with her, which could have been as something simple as hi.

Were is it etched in stone that Ben and the girl were in the bathroom? It's hearsay.

OK, here's a reverse devil's advocate for you. The nut in NV was jilted, she wanted Ben for more than just a one nighter, he didn't. A year later, Ben snubs here, BAM, lawsuit over nothing.

Then a less than credible girl two is in a bar, drunk, she comes from a fine upstanding family (they think they are anyway) she falls down, hits her head, has to go to the hospital. But just how is she going to tell mommy and daddy that their do no wrong little girl was drunk out of her skull and in a bar? Hmmmm, let's see, QB Ben who already accused once was there, just maybe, I can accuse him of assault too and this time they'll believe it.

I have heard that theory but I don't buy it. I also don't think this is about money if she comes from money. It could be...but it's less likely. I think she was out of her mind drunk...did something she regretted...Ben maybe said something ignorant and off to the races. I also find it interesting that she has been less than cooperative after she sobered up. Drunk chicks=emotional chicks. And something happened that she overreacted to while drunk. After sobering up she probably realized it was blown out of proportion. After sobering up she probably also realized the incident would paint her in a poor light.

Captain Lemming
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Hearsay? Really? With multiple people saying at the very least that they were in the bathroom?
By this standard, you have NO BUSINESS ripping the woman in Vegas like you do. The witnesses ripping her who all have an interest in taking Ben's side, in support of the hotel.

It is ALL hearsay. Heck I tend to believe the woman in Vegas is very questionable based on reports too. I certainly "hope" she is lying. But to then say the bathroom deal is hearsay but you "know" women are lying based on far less is ridiculous.

JAR
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Hearsay? Really? With multiple people saying at the very least that they were in the bathroom?
By this standard, you have NO BUSINESS ripping the woman in Vegas like you do. The witnesses ripping her who all have an interest in taking Ben's side, in support of the hotel.

It is ALL hearsay. Heck I tend to believe the woman in Vegas is very questionable based on reports too. I certainly "hope" she is lying. But to then say the bathroom deal is hearsay but you "know" women are lying based on far less is ridiculous.

yes, this is concrete evidence that they were in the bathroom together.

Sometime after that, a woman informed Duncan that she thought her friend might be in the restroom with Roethlisberger, but a member of the athlete’s party would not allow her to get back into the area, the ESPN report states.

frankthetank1
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM

and that's what YOU chose to do, it doesn't mean others can live their lives the way they wish.

yeah that is what i chose to do because i am an intelligent person. i wish i could say the same for ben. if he was a little smarter he wouldnt get in these situations. that was my point

cruzer8
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah that is what i chose to do because i am an intelligent person. i wish i could say the same for ben. if he was a little smarter he wouldnt get in these situations. that was my point

I would suggest you contact his people and offer your services as a personal life consultant then. Because I'm sure every decision you make is the right one. And I'm sure you never made a decision that, even though you thought things through, backfired on you.

Ben is a single man. Expecting him to live the life of a monk is ridiculous and completely unrealistic.

JAR
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM

I would suggest you contact his people and offer your services as a personal life consultant then. Because I'm sure every decision you make is the right one. And I'm sure you never made a decision that, even though you thought things through, backfired on you.

Ben is a single man. Expecting him to live the life of a monk is ridiculous and completely unrealistic.

Maybe Ben should live as a priest, because we know they do no wrong.

feltdizz
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM

Is Ocho a monk? Rhomo? Peyton Manning? Drew Brees?

No one said Ben has to live in a bubble... he has had a few quiet off seasons. It's not that hard..

Offering bitches shots at a college bar that is 18 and up is a stupid idea.

cruzer8
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Is Ocho a monk? Rhomo? Peyton Manning? Drew Brees?

No one said Ben has to live in a bubble... he has had a few quiet off seasons. It's not that hard..

Offering bitches shots at a college bar that is 18 and up is a stupid idea.

Why why why must you always post as if you were there and know exactly what happened?

:HeadBanger

feltdizz
03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Cruzer8 why do you keep responding to my post like my opinions are so convincing that a judge or jury might get the impression I was there and it will put Benin prison?

The constant reminders of "not being Ben" ..."not being there"... "not being a coach" are obvious facts. OK, we get it. Someone ask the question "why would fans feel different about Ben?

I stated why I and some fans I know feel the way they do... you keep getting mad at everyone but the guy who made a few decisions that put him in another position to be judged.

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM

living the life of a monk is extreme. he can go to bars but why must he try and get involved with young girls who are STRANGERS to him? would you call that smart? at least i have never been sued or accused of sexual assault. this is ben's second accusation so he must be doing something that he needs to change. everyone makes bad decisions but you learn from them. has been learned from his mistakes? i dont think so

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
would it be fair to say that it is rare for an NFL player to be accused of sexual assault? off the top of my head i cant think of too many players that have been in ben's situation. i know bettis was accused ONCE. other than that i cant think of any. i cant think of any qb's that have been in this situation. my point is a lot of people think this is the norm. it really isnt

cruzer8
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM

living the life of a monk is extreme. he can go to bars but why must he try and get involved with young girls who are STRANGERS to him? would you call that smart? at least i have never been sued or accused of sexual assault. this is ben's second accusation so he must be doing something that he needs to change. everyone makes bad decisions but you learn from them. has been learned from his mistakes? i dont think so

Have you ever signed a $100 million contract?

Once more, fans screamed bloody murder after the McNulty incident that Ben should never go out and do things alone. So this time he's out with friends AND bodyguards and now fans are screaming that he shouldn't be going out, he shouldn't be talking to or getting involved with girls he doesn't know, etc...etc...etc....

Keep moving those goal posts Father frankthetank1.

frankthetank1
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Once more, fans screamed bloody murder after the McNulty incident that Ben should never go out and do things alone. So this time he's out with friends AND bodyguards and now fans are screaming that he shouldn't be going out, he shouldn't be talking to or getting involved with girls he doesn't know, etc...etc...etc....

exactly him being worth 100 million dollars is more reason why he should be more careful. i didnt say he cant go to bars alone or at all. there was "contact" involved with this drunk skank. if he didnt give her the time of day like he should of he wouldnt of been accussed. ive done pretty well for myself and have been with plenty of women. never had any problems. why make youself vulnerable to women you dont know? its not smart. your right though. most nfl qb's get accussed of sexual assault. we should just accept all the bs. ben is a genius :roll:

cruzer8
04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
exactly him being worth 100 million dollars is more reason why he should be more careful. i didnt say he cant go to bars alone or at all. there was "contact" involved with this drunk skank. if he didnt give her the time of day like he should of he wouldnt of been accussed. ive done pretty well for myself and have been with plenty of women. never had any problems. why make youself vulnerable to women you dont know? its not smart. your right though. most nfl qb's get accussed of sexual assault. we should just accept all the bs. ben is a genius :roll:

Not true.

papillon
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Who is saying that he shouldn't be going out? What is being said is that based on his stature in life that he needs to be more prudent about what he does when he's out in public; that maybe he should be dating women of his financial status, not drunk 20 year olds; that maybe he should know better than to enter a bathroom with a woman he doesn't know; that maybe at 1:00AM he offers her to go back to his place, etc. I have not read where anyone believes that Ben shouldn't be going out.

Pappy

papillon
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
[quote=JAR]So Steelers fans would rather side with a jilted one night stand with mental problems and a lying, drunken co-ed than with the QB who had been convicted of NOTHING and has brought more to Steeler Nation since another QB named Terry who was also run out of town.

This board?

We simply do not know.

That is why so many of his fans are so frustrated.

I am defending Ben like this because he is the victim of needless rumors being spread. Just yesterday, I received the Arnold Palmer puts Ben in his place email again. people just read, believe and share this garbage without ever taking 1 second to find out if it's credible, which of course, that email wasn't.

Everyone is screaming that Ben admitted to "sexual" contact with the girl in GA, no he did not, he admitted to "contact" which could have been a hi, how are you.

The owner of the blog I linked to stated that he thought Ben was probably on drugs.

There are several, Ben did this bad thing or Ben did that bad thing all over the internet.

Ben is taking on a huge character assassination, just like all Steelers QBs do for what ever reason. Steelers fans should be giving their QB the benefit of the doubt, especially considering the circumstances of the first accusation and quit dragging the guy through the mud over possibly doing nothing other than hanging in a bar with his friends.

Look at the latest accusation about Santonio, the girls was nuts.[/quote:29zwtci9]

If the above were true and there wasn't any sexual contact why would the word consummated be used when describing the incident?

According to KDKA in Pittsburgh, sources close to Ben Roethlisberger say he admits to “contact” with the alleged victim that was consensual, but not sexual intercourse that was “consummated.” He maintains the woman’s head injury came when she “slipped and fell” afterward. The woman travelled to the hospital to report the incident straightaway. It would logically follow that if investigators are requesting Roethlisberger’s DNA, they extracted a sample from the woman. (KDKA)

This implies sexual contact, just not intercourse that went to completion. This does not imply, "Hi, how are you doing this evening?" And, even at that, not consummated could mean no orgasm and there was intercourse; but, I don't see how this statement reflects, "Hi, I'm Ben."

Pappy

cruzer8
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Who is saying that he shouldn't be going out? What is being said is that based on his stature in life that he needs to be more prudent about what he does when he's out in public; that maybe he should be dating women of his financial status, not drunk 20 year olds; that maybe he should know better than to enter a bathroom with a woman he doesn't know; that maybe at 1:00AM he offers her to go back to his place, etc. I have not read where anyone believes that Ben shouldn't be going out.

Pappy

There is no proof that he was ever in that bathroom.

And you haven't been reading this board much then. Many people have been posting that he should just get married and settle down and not go out, blah...blah...blah....

That's worked pretty well for Tiger, David Duchovney, Jesse James, et al, right?

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 05:17 PM
If Ben was never alone with this girl in a utility closet or bathroom the case would be over by now. I'm pretty sure if Ben was in public the whole time Willie Colon or whoever was with him would say so...

Willie staying out of the case pretty much means something happened in private or away from the crowd.

Ben has been a ride or die QB for his OL for years... I would be very dissapointed if a lineman keeps silent about a fact that could wrap this case up.

cruzer8
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
If Ben was never alone with this girl in a utility closet or bathroom the case would be over by now. I'm pretty sure if Ben was in public the whole time Willie Colon or whoever was with him would say so...

Willie staying out of the case pretty much means something happened in private or away from the crowd.

Ben has been a ride or die QB for his OL for years... I would be very dissapointed if a lineman keeps silent about a fact that could wrap this case up.

No it doesn't.

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM

No it doesn't.
Actually I think it does... it doesn't mean something bad happened but I can't see how Willie or any of his other people wouldn't say or leak how Ben was never out of their site.

If you are on my team, payroll etc... and you know I was never alone with this chick and you keep silent when asked about...." it's going to be a very hot summer in Pittsburgh"

stlrz d
04-01-2010, 08:20 PM

No it doesn't.
Actually I think it does... it doesn't mean something bad happened but I can't see how Willie or any of his other people wouldn't say or leak how Ben was never out of their site.

If you are on my team, payroll etc... and you know I was never alone with this chick and you keep silent when asked about...." it's going to be a very hot summer in Pittsburgh"

Colon has already said he wasn't in the VIP area when this allegedly went down, so there goes your theory on that one.

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM

No it doesn't.

Colon has already said he wasn't in the VIP area when this allegedly went down, so there goes your theory on that one.

Willie staying out of the case pretty much means something happened in private or away from the crowd. 8)

stlrz d
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM

No it doesn't.

Willie staying out of the case pretty much means something happened in private or away from the crowd. 8)

It means nothing you bozo.

papillon
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Then why is this case still ongoing? If he wasn't in there with her, then his friends are @ssholes for not saying so.

And you haven't been reading this board much then. Many people have been posting that he should just get married and settle down and not go out, blah...blah...blah....

Right, I stop by about once every 3 months and rarely read what's been posted.

That's worked pretty well for Tiger, David Duchovney, Jesse James, et al, right?

No one is advocating Ben get married, or if they did, I believe it was tongue in cheek. Even if it wasn't tongue in cheek there's maybe one or two posters saying get married, settle down, and don't go out.

Look, we get that Ben is your guy and 99% of the posters on this board want Ben to under center next year with no charges from either case and playing great football. He still made poor (and, that's being kind) decisions that night and he needs to mature and begin thinking about what the hell he is doing.

Pappy

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 11:01 PM

:Hater of the year... why are you so miserable?

feltdizz
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM

Then why is this case still ongoing? If he wasn't in there with her, then his friends are @ssholes for not saying so.

No one is advocating Ben get married, or if they did, I believe it was tongue in cheek. Even if it wasn't tongue in cheek there's maybe one or two posters saying get married, settle down, and don't go out.

Look, we get that Ben is your guy and 99% of the posters on this board want Ben to under center next year with no charges from either case and playing great football. He still made poor (and, that's being kind) decisions that night and he needs to mature and begin thinking about what the hell he is doing.

Pappy

bozo. :stirpot

papillon
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Pappy

bozo. :stirpot

Don't you start with me Felt. :P :moon

Pappy

stlrz d
04-02-2010, 12:31 AM

You're the one who's miserable. You want so badly for Ben to be guilty of something. And the case is falling apart. That breaks your heart.

Captain Lemming
04-02-2010, 02:21 AM

Come on.....you dont even believe that.

That is a such "REACH" Yao Ming cant touch that foolishness.

Let me understand.

Ben is accused of wrongdoing and he admits to CONTACT, which you say could mean he said hi.

THAT IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS!!!!

I will tell you that without question, contact cannot possibly mean simply a conversation. Sure, grammatically you can say that, but this is not what he meant, and you know it.

If he did not touch her WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE SAY SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE 90 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION THINK HE DID?

Perhaps he just saw her from across the club, resulting in "eye contact" and Ben was compelled to report this as "contact" with her.

Yes, he had "CONTACT" with her could mean they took allergy capsules together. :lol:

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/allergy_relief_slideshow/photolibrary_rf_photo_of_allergy_capsule.jpg

feltdizz
04-02-2010, 07:42 AM
[quote="stlrz d":mtj96cxh]

You're the one who's miserable. You want so badly for Ben to be guilty of something. And the case is falling apart. That breaks your heart.[/quote:mtj96cxh]

This is a bold faced lie you ignorant piece of $hizzle... :lol:

Please provide proof where I have said what you wrote? I'll wait....

It's not about the case being solid or Ben being guilty... it's always been about the judgment and the 2 for 1 media hit Ben has brought to the Steelers doorstep. No one wants Ben to be guilty... questioning judgment or showing frustration towards Ben doesn't mean throw him under the jail.