PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben not expected at OTA's tomorrow (Mon)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03 ... .html?_r=1 (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/28/sports/AP-FBN-Steelers-Roethlisberger.html?_r=1)

I wonder if he was asked to stay away, or if he asked permission? I hope he's running or lifting or something, if this gets him down too much, he might turn up looking like Jamarcus Russell.

Steelers: Roethlisberger Not Expected Monday
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 28, 2010

Filed at 9:36 p.m. ET

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger's return to the Pittsburgh Steelers apparently won't occur this week.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett says the two-time Super Bowl quarterback is not expected to join his teammates this week for voluntary offseason workouts that begin Monday

The conditioning work involves no on-field practicing, but instead emphasizes weight lifting and getting into football shape.

Roethlisberger has been accused of assault by a 20-year-old Georgia college student, but he has not been charged in the case. An investigation is ongoing.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/28/sports/AP-FBN-Steelers-Roethlisberger.html?_r=1

I wonder if he was asked to stay away, or if he asked permission? I hope he's running or lifting or something, if this gets him down too much, he might turn up looking like Jamarcus Russell.

Steelers: Roethlisberger Not Expected Monday
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 28, 2010

Filed at 9:36 p.m. ET

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger's return to the Pittsburgh Steelers apparently won't occur this week.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett says the two-time Super Bowl quarterback is not expected to join his teammates this week for voluntary offseason workouts that begin Monday

The conditioning work involves no on-field practicing, but instead emphasizes weight lifting and getting into football shape.

Roethlisberger has been accused of assault by a 20-year-old Georgia college student, but he has not been charged in the case. An investigation is ongoing.

Roethlisberger not reporting for offseason program

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2010

Only days after Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that he expects quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to attend the team's offseason conditioning program, it turns out that Roethlisberger won't be there.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, a decision was made that Roethlisberger should stay away, given the distraction his presence will cause. It's unclear whether Roethlisberger participated in the decision-making process. Though the workouts are voluntary, players cannot be prevented from participating in them.

The Steelers' program began a couple of weeks ago, but for younger players only. Veterans will begin participating on Monday.

And so arises the first tangible distraction from the most recent sexual assault claim made against Roethlisberger. Whether and to what extent the distractions will continue depends on whether he is ultimately charged with a crime.

Roethlisberger not reporting for offseason program

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2010 9:20 PM ET
Only days after Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that he expects quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to attend the team's offseason conditioning program, it turns out that Roethlisberger won't be there.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, a decision was made that Roethlisberger should stay away, given the distraction his presence will cause. It's unclear whether Roethlisberger participated in the decision-making process. Though the workouts are voluntary, players cannot be prevented from participating in them.

The Steelers' program began a couple of weeks ago, but for younger players only. Veterans will begin participating on Monday.

And so arises the first tangible distraction from the most recent sexual assault claim made against Roethlisberger. Whether and to what extent the distractions will continue depends on whether he is ultimately charged with a crime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-program/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/roethlisberger-not-reporting-for-offseason-program/)

birtikidis
03-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I wonder what the reason is...

SteelBucks
03-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Distraction.

But I'm sure some on here will read too much into this and come up with a million conspiracy theories (charges are coming, Ben is going to prison, Ben is going to get traded, released, cut, etc).

birtikidis
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Distraction.

But I'm sure some on here will read too much into this and come up with a million conspiracy theories (charges are coming, Ben is going to prison, Ben is going to get traded, released, cut, etc).
I posted before the second post was up...

feltdizz
03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
This was the reason so many were/are frustrated by the allegations...

it's a major distraction.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2010, 11:23 PM
This was the reason so many were/are frustrated by the allegations...

it's a major distraction.

well said, if Ben played an individual sport he only distracts himself...

but football is a team game, as the supposed leader of this team (the franchise QB) Ben needs to begin understanding the possible effects of his actions on his teammates and the Steelers organization.

after all, we've got another Super Bowl to win this season! :tt2

BradshawsHairdresser
03-28-2010, 11:44 PM
as the supposed leader of this team (the franchise QB) Ben needs to begin understanding the possible effects of his actions on his teammates and the Steelers organization.

If he doesn't understand that by this point in his career, I really doubt that he ever will.

spyboots
03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
It is because of the press/media that would be swarming around. They showed up last week, thinking Ben would be there. THAT's why. THAT is what the distraction would be.

fordfixer
03-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Roethlisberger not joining teammates

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5036313

Roethlisberger

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not report to the Steelers offseason conditioning program.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett says the two-time Super Bowl quarterback is not expected to join his teammates this week for voluntary offseason workouts that begin Monday.

After discussing whether Roethlisberger's presence would create too much of a distraction, the decision was made for him not to attend the team's offseason program, according to a source.

Such workouts are not open to reporters, but a large number were expected at the Steelers headquarters Monday because Roethlisberger has not commented on the Georgia incident since it occurred earlier this month.

It remains uncertain when Roethlisberger will report to the team.

Last week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expected Roethlisberger to arrive with the rest of the Pittsburgh veterans. The quarterback also skipped voluntary workouts with the team two weeks ago.

Roethlisberger is accused of assaulting a 20-year-old college student in a Georgia nightclub on March 5, but charges have not been filed. Roethlisberger's lawyer says the quarterback committed no crime. An investigation is ongoing.

Roethlisberger also is being sued by a woman who says he raped her in 2008 at a Lake Tahoe hotel. He denies the allegation and has asked for counter-damages.

The Steelers aren't scheduled to begin on-field practicing until April 19, when they begin OTAs -- NFL shorthand for organized team activities. Such practices resemble those held during the season and starting quarterbacks usually take part in most sessions unless they are injured.

Despite the strong start to Roethlisberger's career -- he has taken the Steelers to two NFL titles and three AFC Championship Games in six seasons -- and the estimated $66 million left on his $102 million contract, the Steelers are clearly upset with the quarterback's off-field problems.

Team president Art Rooney II has met with Roethlisberger, and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell also plans to meet with the quarterback at an unspecified time. Tomlin also has been in constant contact with Roethlisberger.

"We take this issue very seriously," Goodell said on March 22. "I am concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position.

Rooney said the Steelers are "in a situation [where] we're going to let this investigation play out and then go from there."

The NFL has not said if Roethlisberger might be suspended if he is charged in the Georgia case.

Despite Roethlisberger's problems, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the team does not anticipate drafting a quarterback in the early rounds next month.

Adam Schefter is an NFL reporter for ESPN Insider. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Ozey74
03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Ben is going to have to show his face at some point. But with the case in Georgia still in limbo, it might be for the best that he stays away. He risks opening his mouth and saying the wrong thing.

stlrz d
03-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Player: Coach, I'm distracted and can't practice because all these reporters are around asking questions about Ben.

Tomlin: STFU and get your ass back in line for drills.

:roll:

papillon
03-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Player: Coach, I'm distracted and can't practice because all these reporters are around asking questions about Ben.

The distraction is that Ben isn't in town working out with the team. Not that each player is going to be distracted by reporters and questions. When the most important piece of the team isn't at OTAs and working with the team, it is a distraction, because you aren't preparing for the season in a fashion that would be most beneficial.

Lets say that the charges are dropped at some point and Ben has missed OTAs up through June 30th and Dixon has been getting the reps. Has the team been preparing for the season in a way that they would have liked? The answer is no, the quarterback of the team hasn't been there and is behind in preparing for the season.

We all like Ben, but whether you call this a distraction, the inability to prepare properly or some other description Ben is putting the team at a disadvantage.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM

The distraction is that Ben isn't in town working out with the team. Not that each player is going to be distracted by reporters and questions. When the most important piece of the team isn't at OTAs and working with the team, it is a distraction, because you aren't preparing for the season in a fashion that would be most beneficial.

Lets say that the charges are dropped at some point and Ben has missed OTAs up through June 30th and Dixon has been getting the reps. Has the team been preparing for the season in a way that they would have liked? The answer is no, the quarterback of the team hasn't been there and is behind in preparing for the season.

We all like Ben, but whether you call this a distraction, the inability to prepare properly or some other description Ben is putting the team at a disadvantage.

Pappy

^This^

frankthetank1
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
its a smart move imo. i was pretty sure they wouldnt want ben at ota's for this very reason. i wonder if holmes will be told not to come as well. it makes a lot of sense.

cruzer8
03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
These are voluntary workouts. Vets miss them all the time.

Move along...nothing to see here....

ikestops85
03-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Shhhhhh! Ben is really at the OTA but they don't want the reporters to know. Pass it on. :tt1