PDA

View Full Version : Got a sinking feeling about the 18th pick.

SteelCzar76
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Why, because i have been doing some thinking about what we already know of team Tomlin/Colbert regarding the Draft.

Think about it,...nearly every year they almost literally "broadcast" whom they actually like via supposed "leaks", Tomlin's comments and or off the record comments to media team Cheerleaders like Bouchette.

And then after they stand fast at whatever our respective draft position is and watch every one of their guys whom would actually improve the team go off of the board,....they then disregard whatever impact blue chip talent that is available and reach for the most "Mom n Pop special" player whom will likely never be an elite player at league level.

And with that said,....when MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon, Wilson, Thomas, and Spiller are all off of the board when the 18th pick rolls around,....i feel as though team "chucklehead" will select Iupati, Pouncey or Trent Williams.

Discipline of Steel
03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a sinking feeling we are going to lose the first game of the season. :cry:

frankthetank1
03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Why, because i have been doing some thinking about what we already know of team Tomlin/Colbert regarding the Draft.

Think about it,...nearly every year they almost literally "broadcast" whom they actually like via supposed "leaks", Tomlin's comments and or off the record comments to media team Cheerleaders like Bouchette.

And then after they stand fast at whatever our respective draft position is and watch every one of their guys whom would actually improve the team go off of the board,....they then disregard whatever impact blue chip talent that is available and reach for the most "Mom n Pop special" player whom will likely never be an elite player at league level.

And with that said,....when MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon, Wilson, Thomas, and Spiller are all off of the board when the 18th pick rolls around,....i feel as though team "chucklehead" will select Iupati, Pouncey or Trent Williams. :lol:

that was only the case with revis. if guys like mcclain, haden, weatherspoon, spiller etc. are off the board before #18 maybe it's because they are the best players in this years draft? that is very possible. imo you have no reason to worry about the FIRST round pick. when was the last bust in the first round? no timmons doesnt count he wasnt even a top ten pick and he isnt a BAD player. the later rounds we should be worried about but not #18. I am with you on Iupati though. i really do not want him, i would rather trade down then draft him

SteelCzar76
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM

And with that said,....when MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon, Wilson, Thomas, and Spiller are all off of the board when the 18th pick rolls around,....i feel as though team "chucklehead" will select Iupati, Pouncey or Trent Williams. :lol:

that was only the case with revis. if guys like mcclain, haden, weatherspoon, spiller etc. are off the board before #18 maybe it's because they are the best players in this years draft? that is very possible. imo you have no reason to worry about the FIRST round pick. when was the last bust in the first round? no timmons doesnt count he wasnt even a top ten pick and he isnt a BAD player. the later rounds we should be worried about but not #18. I am with you on Iupati though. i really do not want him, i would rather trade down then draft him

Gotta disagree here Frank. The entire football world knew that they were enamored with Mack, Wood and liked Hood Last season. And it's the same case this year regarding Iupati, Thomas, MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon and more recently Wilson. As well as the fact that they would not surprise anyone by making Spiller the pick due to Colbert's new found erratic behavior on Draft weekends. (ie: First round Rb's, lb's, 3-4 DE's and trading up for punters)

But as you said,.. we do agree that Iupati should not be the pick 18. He's not BAD either per se,..but there will be better players on the board at 18 whom could actually come in and improve the team. (As opossed to just simply creating average or merely solid "depth")

Shawn
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I think there is a reasonable possibility of an elite talent not by the name of Iupati dropping to us. I think other teams would have to be a fool not to know who we are interested in. I actually think it's more important to keep your yap shut about your dark horses that you can find later in the draft.

steelblood
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
McClain, Hayden, Thomas, and Spiller will likely be gone.

Weatherspoon and Wilson. I think they'll still be there.

I have no idea why you don't want Trent Williams. He had a poor year last year because he struggled with some injuries. Williams is almost as athletic as the kid from Maryland or Okung. He is also a much better run blocker than either of them. He's been starting since he was a Freshman and has been very durable. He'd be a very good pick and could play at either tackle or guard. A good offensive line coach could make him into a very effective rookie.

steelz09
03-28-2010, 05:02 PM

And with that said,....when MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon, Wilson, Thomas, and Spiller are all off of the board when the 18th pick rolls around,....i feel as though team "chucklehead" will select Iupati, Pouncey or Trent Williams.

Revis and Timmons, Mack and Wood, the Steelers basically broadcasted to the rest of the league.

frankthetank1
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Gotta disagree here Frank. The entire football world knew that they were enamored with Mack, Wood and liked Hood Last season. And it's the same case this year regarding Iupati, Thomas, MCclain, Haden, Weatherspoon and more recently Wilson. As well as the fact that they would not surprise anyone by making Spiller the pick due to Colbert's new found erratic behavior on Draft weekends. (ie: First round Rb's, lb's, 3-4 DE's and trading up for punters)

But as you said,.. we do agree that Iupati should not be the pick 18. He's not BAD either per se,..but there will be better players on the board at 18 whom could actually come in and improve the team. (As opossed to just simply creating average or merely solid "depth")

the entire football world knows the steelers philosphy and anyone can see the positions of need on the steelers. wood and mack? im happy we got ziggy. we need young defensive lineman just as bad as a center or guard. hood will be a very good player. is there a problem with picking rb's in the first round? you cant argue that mendy was a good pick. all of the guys are top rated players in their positions of course they are going to go before the steelers pick. the steelers usually pick near the bottom of the league. unless you trade up you wont get guys like revis, weatherspoon, etc.. do you really think the jets traded up to get revis JUST because the steelers wanted him? the jets aren't even in the same division. everyone knew revis was a great cb. every team needs great cb's.

i hope we do draft spiller. he or weatherspoon i would be ecstatic with. you cant go wrong with either pick. rb isnt a need but we would probably have the best 1 2 combo at rb for many years to come.

Oviedo
03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Whoever is picked it will be wrong as far as 50%+ of this board is concerned and they will believe they would would had made a better pick if only the Steelers would hire people as qualified as those who post on this board.

Oviedo
03-28-2010, 05:19 PM

the entire football world knows the steelers philosphy and anyone can see the positions of need on the steelers. wood and mack? im happy we got ziggy. we need young defensive lineman just as bad as a center or guard. hood will be a very good player. is there a problem with picking rb's in the first round? you cant argue that mendy was a good pick. all of the guys are top rated players in their positions of course they are going to go before the steelers pick. the steelers usually pick near the bottom of the league. unless you trade up you wont get guys like revis, weatherspoon, etc.. do you really think the jets traded up to get revis JUST because the steelers wanted him? the jets aren't even in the same division. everyone knew revis was a great cb. every team needs great cb's.

i hope we do draft spiller. he or weatherspoon i would be ecstatic with. you cant go wrong with either pick. rb isnt a need but we would probably have the best 1 2 combo at rb for many years to come.

Spiller or Weatherspoon would be perfectly fine with me. Odrick, Thomas or Wilson would also be OK.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
i'm okay with any player the Steelers pick in Round #1.

although i am smarter than them, the Steelers FO and coaching staff have the huge advantage of being able to watch and talk to the draft prospects in person. :lol:

Chadman
03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Are we seriously complaining about the results of the Steelers 1st round picks since Tomlin came in?

To Chadman, it looks like the Steelers will generally sit tight, knowing that any of the top 32 players is going to be good value, and wait & see who drops to them, then pick the best players in a position of need. They wanted Revis, but with Revis gone, they chose Timmons. They wanted Mack & Wood, but with both gone, didn't panic & grab Unger, instead took Hood. Mendenhall fell straight to them, the Steelers decided he was best value available & took him.

It's actually in the 2nd round that the Steelers generally grab guys that they have had locked in to their radar, regardless of the value- at least, in Chadman's opinion. They seem to target need more in Round 2.

Discipline of Steel
03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
but its still fun to pretend what we would do if we were in charge. and who knows, maybe they monitor this site for new ideas every now and then...

personally, ill get excited after the draft, when our picks (whoever they are) show what they can do on a football field

steelz09
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Frank,

IMO -- I think the Jets did exactly that. There is do doubt in my mind the Steelers were going to draft Revis if available and to this day, I think the Jets and probably many more teams thought the same. The Jets obviously wanted Revis and knew he wouldn't get by the Steelers so they made the move.

The Steelers missed out on that one and I think they should have smoke screened their like for Revis a bit or we would have him. Timmons, although a good player, isn't even close to the player the Jets got in Revis regardless of position. I don't think there is a person on this board that would disagree with that. Revis, in my opinion, is the Champ Baily of the next decade and we all know how difficult it is to get a player of that caliber.

SteelCzar76
03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
McClain, Hayden, Thomas, and Spiller will likely be gone.

Weatherspoon and Wilson. I think they'll still be there.

I have no idea why you don't want Trent Williams. He had a poor year last year because he struggled with some injuries. Williams is almost as athletic as the kid from Maryland or Okung. He is also a much better run blocker than either of them. He's been starting since he was a Freshman and has been very durable. He'd be a very good pick and could play at either tackle or guard. A good offensive line coach could make him into a very effective rookie.

I think if the Broncos pull the Trigger on MCclain,..then Weatherspoon will likely be a Giant. And i don't think Wilson makes it past the Titans. But of course this is just my opinion.

In terms of Williams though Steel,..it's not that i have anything against him personally. But whenever you hear it said "he's a tackle that can play guard" your talking about a pretty good guard and suspect tackle. And i'm not really proponent of selecting Guards, right tackles and Centers in the 1st unless they are absolutely exceptional players.

IMO no front office should be merely looking for "decent", "solid" and or career "contributors" in the first two rounds. If you do enough of that for too often you will become a very mediocre team sooner rather than later.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Does it really impact who another team chooses if it's well known who we want? I'd think the other team would choose the best for them, not to deprive us of ours.

The flip side of that - we don't pick ours to mess up teams that choose after us, so why would we think other teams would do that to us?

Oviedo
03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Does it really impact who another team chooses if it's well known who we want? I'd think the other team would choose the best for them, not to deprive us of ours.

The flip side of that - we don't pick ours to mess up teams that choose after us, so why would we think other teams would do that to us?

Team don't likely adjust their boards based on us. Putting out who we are "interested" in does however form the basis for a trade up or down as we may mention a player who a team that drafts after us is very high on.

There is so much misinformation that goes on here that anyone who thinks the Steelers are giving away valuable information taht will hurt the team is only fooling themselves or more likely just feeding their established prejudices with regards to the organization.

papillon
03-29-2010, 09:11 AM

Team don't likely adjust their boards based on us. Putting out who we are "interested" in does however form the basis for a trade up or down as we may mention a player who a team that drafts after us is very high on.

There is so much misinformation that goes on here that anyone who thinks the Steelers are giving away valuable information taht will hurt the team is only fooling themselves or more likely just feeding their established prejudices with regards to the organization.

What the Steelers do has no bearing on the teams in front of us, but, I'm sure the teams behind us monitor who the Steelers are interested in and make a move if necessary. It's not just the Steelers they monitor it's any team that may have plans on drafting a guy they really like before he gets to them.

Pappy

papillon
03-29-2010, 09:12 AM

What the Steelers do has no bearing on the teams in front of them, but, I'm sure the teams behind them monitor who the Steelers are interested in and make a move if necessary. It's not just the Steelers they monitor it's any team that may have plans on drafting a guy they really like before he gets to them.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Are we under the impression that the rest of the teams in the league do not know about these players and only pick them because they hear that the Steelers like these guys?

Doesn't every team broadcast their wish list by who they invite to town, who they visit with at the combine, and which pro days they attend?

Most teams know the Steelers area of needs - as well as the needs of every other team in the league. It is usually easier to isolate Pittsburgh's choices on draft day than say the Browns because we have fewer needs and more players are off the board by the time we choose.

I don't think that anybody is uncovering any great secrets from the likes of Bouchette. The Jets swooped in and grabbed Revis because they knew that he was one of three or four possibilities for the Steelers and they needed a CB desperately. They were not willing to risk losing him and facing the choice between Leon Hall and Aaron Ross. History has shown that it was a worthwhile risk.

MaxAMillion
03-29-2010, 09:59 AM
I am already for the Pouncey man to come to Pittsburgh. I think he will be a pro bowl center in a couple of years. I also expect everyone to bitch about drafting him.

ANPSTEEL
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Whoever is picked it will be wrong as far as 50%+ of this board is concerned and they will believe they would would had made a better pick if only the Steelers would hire people as qualified as those who post on this board.

[youtube:pjjwae7s]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw9oX-kZ_9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw9oX-kZ_9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:pjjwae7s]

:lol: :lol:

Shoe
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM

If it's Pouncey, I'm not gonna be down on the pick (I guess I will be for a minute, as it's not a "sexy" pick).

Because Pouncey fills a real need that I perceive (intelligence on our O-line. I also like the idea of trying to rekindle our Center lineage! ;)

I still want an interior rusher (Brian Price), a Corner with ball skills before... but I could easily co-sign on Pouncey.

ikestops85
03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
One thing you can take to the bank ...

Whomever the Steeler pick they will be "plain as a bowl of grits" type player. :stirpot :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
I had Williams...Hampton signed...I switched to Spoon.
I had Spoon...Foote signed...I switched to Thomas.
I had Thomas...And found out they already fell in love with their guy.

They will try to trade back but still take him if they can't. One possible trade partner in the Eagles to move up for Spoon/McClain if one is still on the board to get ahead of the Falcons. The Eagles have (2) 3rds and it will cost them the later 3rd. Not my favortie pick...But understand the pick. Great story surrounding him and he sounds like a Pittsburgh kind of guy. It will be the type of pick the Steelers need to make after this offseason. More of a project than I like at #18 so hopefully they can move back some. Fills a need as well. The card already has his name on it. I'm surprised there won't be a parade for his visit. And to think all the time I wasted doing my mocks.

Mike Iupati

Oviedo
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
One thing you can take to the bank ...

Whomever the Steeler pick they will be "plain as a bowl of grits" type player. :stirpot :lol:

...and there will be a vocal majority who will decry the pick because based on professional knowledge gained from the "Lazy Boys of ultimate knowledge in their living rooms" and their detailed internal knowledge of the Steelers players it will be the wrong player for the wrong reasons and not the player they would pick. Colbert will be an idiot who can't assess talent. Tomlin will be incompetent and above his head. Arians will be a buffoon who any former high school "star" could do better than. LeBeau will be a legend and a saint who is just a victim and gets a bad deal in terms of players and the offense not doing enough to make his job easy.

You will also have an obnoxious minority who will hate the pick whoever it is because they aren't happy unless they hate something or someone and can't string three sentences together in any post where they don't remind us what their prejudices are and who they don't like.

WoodleyofTroy
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Actually I do think other teams are influenced by the Steelers. When you're consistently a contender and doing things right, that's what happens. Same with the Patriots. As soon as it's announced they are looking at someone, the annual losing GM's go running.

Nowhere did I read that the Browns wanted Mack that high last year. They kept talking about how they wanted him with their early 2nd.

And would Buffalo have taken Wood that high as well?