PDA

View Full Version : Does Official Change Mean A Big Year For Harrison?

Steel Life
03-28-2010, 08:57 AM
You might have heard this: The league has moved the position of the umpire from about five yards behind the defensive line to about 12 yards deep in the offensive backfield. Final details have yet to be worked out, but it's expected the umpire and referee essentially will flank the quarterback pocket.

We've all discussed how Harrison is the "most held player" in the NFL...does this change mean that Harrison starts getting these calls? And secondly, should Joe Thomas call Harrison to apologize & say that his comments were taken out of context?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I hope he gets those calls more this year!

What is the Thomas thing about?

Starlifter
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
won't change a thing. Harrison doesn't get the calls - not because the refs don't see it, but because if they called 5 a game in his favor it would drastically impact the outcome. Does anyone believe the NFL wants to get every call right if it means one team would get an advantage?

spyboots
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Well, it DOES mean that Wes Welker can't hide behind the ump any more or use the ump to be in the way, so he won't be getting all the catches he did before.

Steel Life
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope he gets those calls more this year!

What is the Thomas thing about?
Thomas gave an interview where he said basically that Harrison was a "flopper" & was always trying to get the call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-flops/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/19/joe-thomas-says-james-harrison-flops/)

Joe Thomas says James Harrison flops
Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2009 9:10 PM ET
In the past, Steelers linebacker James Harrison has complained that not enough holding penalties are called against the blockers who try to keep him away from their quarterbacks.

Now, Harrison is being accused of doing too much to influence the throwing of flags.

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that Browns left tackle Joe Thomas believes Harrison "flopped" to draw a holding call in each of the two games that Cleveland played against Pittsburgh.

"It's something James Harrison has been doing," Thomas told Grossi. "It seems like he didn't do it last year. Now he's kind of perfected it. When you push him by the quarterback, if he doesn't think he can get to the quarterback anymore, he thinks the best thing for him to do is kind of flop as dramatically as possible and hope it baits the ref into throwing the flag.

"Basically as you push him by, he'll just throw his arms up in the air and his feet and try to make it look like you threw him down. It's kind of like taking a charge in the NBA."

But now that the word is out, it remains to be seen whether the move continues to work for Harrison.

"It was my mistake for not talking to the refs before the game because it shows up on tape over and over again," Thomas said. "I don't know if he has a reputation yet, but I know after this year he will."

Maybe next year Harrison's new move will be stopping short.