PDA

View Full Version : Trade down in Round 1 and take Boise St. CB Kyle Wilson?

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
trade down with the Eagles at #24 (have to stay ahead of the Ravens at #25 who supposedly covet Wilson) and pick up an extra 3rd round draft choice while adding a very good young player to the competition at CB.

Kyle Wilson solidifies stock with pro day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 26, 2010

We haven't heard a lot from Boise St. cornerback Kyle Wilson since his cover skills and his RV took the Senior Bowl by storm back in January.

Wilson did not run at the Scouting Combine, but he's been called the second best cornerback on many draft rankings. Some teams may prefer him over Florida's Joe Haden.

On Friday, Wilson affixed the corner piece to his draft puzzle. He ran a 4.47 and 4.43 in the forty, according to NFL's Gil Brandt. His other numbers were also excellent, including a 38-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump.

We'd be very surprised at this point if Wilson made it out of the first round.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-pro-day/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/kyle-wilson-solidifies-stock-with-pro-day/)

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Steelers | Met with Kyle Wilson after workout

Fri, 26 Mar 2010

Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers met with Boise State CB Kyle Wilson after his Pro Day workout Friday, March 26.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#635039#ixzz0jJqAqSHJ

http://i.imgur.com/2u1PU.jpg

NJ-STEELER
03-26-2010, 05:41 PM
if they like him a lot.

just stay there and dont take the chance.

it would be a lot easier for baltimore to move up to 23 then 17. dont want to see another revis scenario

winwithd
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
As I was thinking about the draft today I thought, ' I bet we trade down in the first and then trade some picks for a late first rounder and take Kyle Wilson and Jared Odrick back-to-back.'

Then I got to thinking, 'Maybe we could package most of our remaining picks to move up into the end of the first round again and add Pouncey too.' That would be a great draft.

Shawn
03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
if they like him a lot.

it would be a lot easier for baltimore to move up to 23 then 17. dont want to see another revis scenario

Agreed...I wouldn't trade down if we like him enough to draft him. The only way I would consider a trade down in this scenerio is if there were 3 guys we liked equally still there at 18. Lets say Odrick, Iupati, and Wilson are there and the Steelers like all three guys about the same it may be worth the risk.

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll go on record as saying I don't think he'd be a good fit as by most accounts he's not very physical & doesn't attack running plays that come in his direction. Considering our division...no thanks.

NJ-STEELER
03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
how about for a change we consider taking a corner that can freakin cover and worry about him improving in run support instead of taking guys that can support the run but cant catch a cold and leave receivers wide open

just a thought

SteelCzar76
03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Dude,..quiet as kept,... many scouts will state "off of the record" that they consider Wilson to be at the very least on par with Haden.

He will not make it to #24,....if you not only consider us, but the Texans, Titans and perhaps even a "shocker" selection by the Niners.

And as far as him (Wilson) "struggling" in run support,... he's already better than William Gay in that respect. And along with being a superior player to Gay in terms of speed, strength, intelligence and ball skills,....well,... you do the math.

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I know where you're coming from Czar, but he hasn't proven he better at anything yet & there are too many people saying he's not physical enough to not take it into consideration. And you don't "coach up" being physical - you either have it or you don't.

NJ-STEELER
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
at the combine he had 25 reps, 2nd of all DBs more then DL mccoy and OT davis who outweighs him by 130LBS

here's a scouting report i found, who are these "many people" saying he's not physical enough

Weaknesses

Gambles some
May lack ideal height
Is better in man than zone, though that’s nitpicking

Strengths

Extremely quick
Great production
Excellent value as a return man
Can score on defense
Absolute playmaker
Great ball skills
Soft hands
Superb balance when playing the ball
Elite speed
Can run with any receiver
Excellent quickness on breaks
Very fluid hips
Opens up smoothly
Aggressive tackler in run support
Great upper body strength
Explosive player who can bring the wood
Intelligent
Confident corner and a leader

SteelCzar76
03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I know where you're coming from Czar, but he hasn't proven he better at anything yet & there are too many people saying he's not physical enough to not take it into consideration. And you don't "coach up" being physical - you either have it or you don't.

And i dig that Steel. I'm just saying that from what i've seen of this kid he's physical enough. Granted, he's not Rod Woodson, Mel or even Ike in terms of physicality,..but he's no "cupcake".

And given the upside that he (Wilson) has in terms of the aforementioned speed, intelligence, strength and ball skills, (along with his physicality against WR's in particular),....and IMHO he'd be an immediate upgrade over EVERY corner on our roster with the exception of Ike in terms of veteran savvy. (And he'd surpass him within three seasons)

But again,..that's just my opinion.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Kyle Wilson runs 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds;

"I know I'm as fast as they come"

Friday, 03/26/2010

Former Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds Friday at the Broncos' pro day.

That's slightly slower than Wilson expected, but plenty fast enough to keep him in line for a first-round selection in the NFL Draft. He also posted a 38-inch vertical jump, a personal best.

The scouts do their own timing, so there is some variety in the numbers. Wilson's two 40-yard-dash attempts were timed in as fast as 4.39 seconds and as slow as 4.47 seconds, according to different scouts and reports.

Wilson ran the 40 in 4.36 and 4.39 seconds last spring.

"I was happy how everything went," said Wilson, who is expected to land in the second half of the first round of the NFL Draft. "... I know I'm as fast as they come, so hey, I'll trust my speed vs. anybody."

The top 40-yard dash by a cornerback at the NFL Scouting Combine was 4.45 seconds. Six players had vertical jumps better than 38 inches, topped by a 44-inch leap by Fresno State's A.J. Jefferson.

Wilson said the hamstring injury that prevented him from running and jumping at the combine was not an issue Friday.

"I don't have any excuses," he said. "I trained hard, I was ready to go and I came out here and did my best."

Wilson's other results included 10 feet, 2 inches in the broad jump, 6.74 seconds in the three-cone drill, 4.02 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 11.4 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle. The best of those numbers is in the 20-yard shuttle, where Wilson would have ranked second at the combine. He would have tied for sixth in the three-cone drill.

The usual collection of NFL scouts was augmented by at least a handful of NFL defensive coordinators. Forty-four scouts and coaches attended the event, representing 28 teams. Seven to 10 coaches were in attendance, including the Philadelphia Eagles' defensive coordinator.

Wilson said he already has visits lined up to at least six NFL teams - Jacksonville (pick No. 10), Dallas (No. 27), Cleveland (Nos. 7 and 38), Pittsburgh (No. 18), Tennessee (No. 16) and St. Louis (Nos. 1 and 33).

•••

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/0 ... z0jM98EGSS (http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/03/26/ccripe/kyle_wilson_unofficially_runs_40yard_dash_mid44s#i xzz0jM98EGSS)

NW Steeler
03-27-2010, 03:57 PM
It is hard to see what the Steelers are going to do in round #1. It seems like they will take the highest rated player outside of QB or TE. I think Wilson will be a good pick. At this point I don't see them picking ILB, OLB or S, not that they shouldn't. With Lewis and Burnett, will they pick a CB? Gay doesn't look very good and Ike has what, 1 more year on his contract? Looking at it that way, even if they are high on both Lewis and Burnett, they still need some players at CB. BPA at #18....but i still think it will be a CB or OG/OT.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-29-2010, 09:03 AM
With Lewis and Burnett, will they pick a CB? Gay doesn't look very good and Ike has what, 1 more year on his contract? Looking at it that way, even if they are high on both Lewis and Burnett, they still need some players at CB. BPA at #18....but i still think it will be a CB or OG/OT.

Not to mention the departure of Deshea.

Shoe
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Can Earl Thomas play CB? I like him, and I've come to appreciate how important it is to draft a CB (previously felt that DL/OL was our more pressing need.)

On a side note, I saw Joe Haden at McCarran Airport in Vegas last weekend. Dude is tiny.

NW Steeler
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Can Earl Thomas play CB? I like him, and I've come to appreciate how important it is to draft a CB (previously felt that DL/OL was our more pressing need.)

On a side note, I saw Joe Haden at McCarran Airport in Vegas last weekend. Dude is tiny.

Let's pretend you didn't just say that! You apparently missed the multiple page argument on drafting Thomas with the intent of playing him at CB. If the Steelers really like Wilson, then take him at #18. We may be looking at replacing both CB spots in another year. Wilson seems to play physical with receivers, so I don't know where that knock comes from. If he gambles a bit, that doesn't bother me at all. The best CB we ever had gambled a bit from time to time too. That was part of what made him great. I am definitely warming to the idea of Wilson now...for me it was Spoon, then Iupati, now Wilson...I just can't commit!

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I saw Joe Haden at McCarran Airport in Vegas last weekend. Dude is tiny.

None of the top CB prospects are going to be imposing behemoth specimen. Unlike most NFL players, these are normal-sized humans that are actually smaller than me.

Joe Haden is listed as being 5'11" 189 lbs.
Kyle Wilson is listed as being 5'10" 185 lbs.
Devin McCourty is listed as being 5'11" 193 lbs.
Kareem Jackson is listed as being 5'10" 196 lbs.
Patrick Robinson is listed as being 5'11" 190 lbs.
Dominique Franks is listed as being 5'11" 194 lbs.
Amari Spievey is listed as being 5'11" 194 lbs.

The one CB who breaks the mold this year is Chris Cook, who is listed as being 6'2" 212 lbs., but many teams see him as more of a FS than a CB anyway.

ramblinjim
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Cook is big and has good speed but the guys here in DC said that he actually seemed to be winded on VA's pro day. We have a sports caster (Lindsey Czarniak) that called him out on it on television the other night. She said something like ".....and Chris Cook cost himself a couple of million by being out of shape for VA's pro day".

I'll have to see if I can find a link.

If he were still around in the 3rd, he'd be worth a look though.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Wilson could probably save the roster spot we currently use for Stefan Logan, thus increasing Wilson's value even more.

2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Kyle Wilson

Kyle Wilson, 5-10/190

Cornerback

Boise State

Kyle Wilson Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

Good musculature
Highly athletic with good speed
Experienced
Very talented - skill set
Outstanding footwork
Great agility and change of direction
Shows ability to mirror against athletic WRs
Low in his backpedal - technically sound
Love his anticipation and instincts
Durable
Comfortable on an island
Fluid hips
Scrappy/physical at the line of scrimmage - uses hands well
Nice return man
Extremely competitive
Confident
Big Senior Bowl week
Still has some potential

Weaknesses:

Sometimes doesn't look back for the ball
Inconsistent tackler
Needs to improve run support
Will give up some big plays
Lacks zone awareness
A bit of a gambler in coverage
Less than ideal height

Summary: I really like Wilson's skill set and I think he will contribute to a team early in his career. He has the potential to be a No. 1 corner in the league though he has a couple things he needs to work on to make that happen. Wilson really impressed NFL scouts and coaches during Senior Bowl week and he was the best corner on the field. He was suspended in 2007 for three games for a violation of team rules - this will be checked into by the regional scouts but I'm not holding it against him until we hear media reports. Wilson will likely get drafted in the latter half of the first round.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
However, some of his weakness are big-time no-no's for the Steeler D.

Inconsistent tackler

Discipline of Steel
03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Id rather see us trade up into the first round to get someone we like rather than trade back from 18.

frankthetank1
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Inconsistent tackler

those are bad attributes to have for the steelers scheme but how great of a tackler is willie gay? i will take a gambler over a stiff who gets 10-15 yard passes thrown on him all game. its hard to believe that kyle wilson or any of the high ranked cb's wouldnt be a upgrade over gay.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2010, 10:10 PM

Inconsistent tackler

those are bad attributes to have for the steelers scheme but how great of a tackler is willie gay? i will take a gambler over a stiff who gets 10-15 yard passes thrown on him all game. its hard to believe that kyle wilson or any of the high ranked cb's wouldnt be a upgrade over gay.

Gay was a 5th round prospect for a reason. I agree with DoS...I'd rather trade up for someone we really like as opposed to trading back to pick up more picks when we have 10 already and have filled many of our obvious holes for back-up players in free agency already.

Haden seems to have all of the aspects that the Steelers covet...in addition to being the best cover corner in this draft, he has been described as a physical corner who gets a nice jam at line of scrimmage, able to take on blocks, terrific in run support, really lays the wood for a corner, etc., so why not trade up for him instead of trading down for someone who lacks those traits?

When we pick this high, I want someone elite, even if it means having to trade up a bit more to get him.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Inconsistent tackler

Gay was a 5th round prospect for a reason. I agree with DoS...I'd rather trade up for someone we really like as opposed to trading back to pick up more picks when we have 10 already and have filled many of our obvious holes for back-up players in free agency already.

Haden seems to have all of the aspects that the Steelers covet...in addition to being the best cover corner in this draft, he has been described as a physical corner who gets a nice jam at line of scrimmage, able to take on blocks, terrific in run support, really lays the wood for a corner, etc., so why not trade up for him instead of trading down for someone who lacks those traits?

When we pick this high, I want someone elite, even if it means having to trade up a bit more to get him.

if Berry is gone and Joe Haden is still available at #10, would you be willing to make that same trade with Jacksonville, giving up our 1st and 2nd rounders for Haden?

Discipline of Steel
03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
I was actually thinking take the 18 pick and trade back up into the 1st round for Wilson or another top DB. Like Ruthless said, less picks overall with more toward the front.

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Inconsistent tackler

if Berry is gone and Joe Haden is still available at #10, would you be willing to make that same trade with Jacksonville, giving up our 1st and 2nd rounders for Haden?

That would be a lot to give up for Haden, I think. I might be willing to consider trading with Miami at #12 for Haden (since I think San Fran would take him at #13 if he were there). The numbers work out such that if we gave Miami our 1st and 2nd, they'd give us their 1st and 4th. That's a bit more palatable, I suppose (and if we wanted to, we could consider combining those two 4th round picks...ours and Miami's...to get a second 3rd rounder, possibly).

Oviedo
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I saw Joe Haden at McCarran Airport in Vegas last weekend. Dude is tiny.

None of the top CB prospects are going to be imposing behemoth specimen. Unlike most NFL players, these are normal-sized humans that are actually smaller than me.

Joe Haden is listed as being 5'11" 189 lbs.
Kyle Wilson is listed as being 5'10" 185 lbs.
Devin McCourty is listed as being 5'11" 193 lbs.
Kareem Jackson is listed as being 5'10" 196 lbs.
Patrick Robinson is listed as being 5'11" 190 lbs.
Dominique Franks is listed as being 5'11" 194 lbs.
Amari Spievey is listed as being 5'11" 194 lbs.

The one CB who breaks the mold this year is Chris Cook, who is listed as being 6'2" 212 lbs., but many teams see him as more of a FS than a CB anyway.

"Smaller" CBs are going to be more the norm as college teams go with faster, quicker players in the CB position to deal with spread offenses.

Oviedo
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM

Inconsistent tackler

That would be a lot to give up for Haden, I think. I might be willing to consider trading with Miami at #12 for Haden (since I think San Fran would take him at #13 if he were there). The numbers work out such that if we gave Miami our 1st and 2nd, they'd give us their 1st and 4th. That's a bit more palatable, I suppose (and if we wanted to, we could consider combining those two 4th round picks...ours and Miami's...to get a second 3rd rounder, possibly).

It would be ridiculous to give up our second round pick to get a CB when this is a deep draft and the guy at the top is not a Pro Bowl type player.

frankthetank1
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Inconsistent tackler

thats a good point. it is pretty rare that the steelers pick this early. im not huge on haden but if we traded up i would rather draft earl thomas. i know gay wasnt a high pick or anything i just think anyone we draft in the first couple of rounds at cb will be an upgrade

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Inconsistent tackler

thats a good point. it is pretty rare that the steelers pick this early. im not huge on haden but if we traded up i would rather draft earl thomas. i know gay wasnt a high pick or anything i just think anyone we draft in the first couple of rounds at cb will be an upgrade

I consider Haden and Thomas to be somewhat comparable players in terms of talent and overall grade. The difference is that CB's are valued more than FS's in the grand scheme of things. Sure, Thomas may be able to play CB (he appears to have the raw physical ability to be able to do so) but we already know that Haden can play CB, which is the difference here.

If we hadn't re-signed Clark, then I would have been happy staying put and taking whichever one of these guys happened to fall, since we would have had obvious holes at both FS and CB, but now with Clark back and Allen on board, there is a bigger need for a CB (but I wouldn't be upset if we stayed put and took Thomas though...I'm thinking that may be the most realistic scenario at this point).

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
It would be ridiculous to give up our second round pick to get a CB when this is a deep draft and the guy at the top is not a Pro Bowl type player.

And yet you suggest possibly trading up to get a RB, who will only be a backup since we just spend a 1st round pick on a RB 2 years ago (when was the last time we spent a 1st rounder on a CB? Chad Scott? We have a 3rd, 4th, and two 5th round CB's of our own, and 3rd and 5th round CB's that have already been cast-offs from multiple other teams...we can use a top talent here somewhere).

The depth at RB and CB are remarkably similar. There is one guy in each group with an early 1st round grade (Spiller and Haden), one guy with a solid mid-to-late 1st round grade (Matthews and Wilson), and one guy with a borderline late 1st to early 2nd round grade (Best and McCourty). Then, each group has a whole bunch of other guys that could be taken anywhere in round 2-4 or so, and where they get selected will be based upon individual teams needs more than anything (shifty back vs. power back, man corner vs. zone corner, etc.). These RB's include guys like Gerhart, Tate, McCluster, Dwyer, Dixon, McKnight, Hardesty, and Blount, while the CB's include guys like Jackson, Ghee, Franks, Cook, Robinson, Owusu-Ansah, Murphy, Warren, and Jefferson.

So I can say the exact same thing about your suggestion about moving up in the first for a RB that you could say about my suggestion about moving up in the first for a CB:

It would be ridiculous to give up our second round pick to get a RB when this is a deep draft and the guy at the top is not a Pro Bowl type player.

NW Steeler
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope we don't trade up at all in the first. The second? Yes.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 03:21 AM
if they like him a lot.

NJ-STEELER wrote:

on path to the draft tonight, davis said the steelers will look to draft wilson, if he's still there.

thats right, he said he 's been so impressive in workouts and pro day that he rising fast and thought he might go before 18.

also mentioned some scouts like him better then haden

you may very well be correct, Wilson may no longer be available if we trade down. we definitely need to upgrade from Willie Gay if we want to win more games next season and regain our rightful spot atop our division.

Baltimore added AnQuan Boldin, we need to add somebody that can help to cover him.

nevertheless, :ratsuck

Oviedo
04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
if they like him a lot.

NJ-STEELER wrote:

on path to the draft tonight, davis said the steelers will look to draft wilson, if he's still there.

thats right, he said he 's been so impressive in workouts and pro day that he rising fast and thought he might go before 18.

you may very well be correct, Wilson may no longer be available if we trade down. we definitely need to upgrade from Willie Gay if we want to win more games next season and regain our rightful spot atop our division.

Baltimore added AnQuan Boldin, we need to add somebody that can help to cover him.

I would prefer Wilson over Haden especially if we could get him a #18 or later. Still would prefer a CB in Round 2 or 3.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2010, 10:12 AM
if they like him a lot.

NJ-STEELER wrote:

I would prefer Wilson over Haden especially if we could get him a #18 or later. Still would prefer a CB in Round 2 or 3.

In another thread, you posted an article stating how the Steelers look for tackling ability and run support out of their CB's moreso than most teams, and since that is a strength of Haden's game and a weakness of Wilson's game, why would you prefer Wilson to Haden?

Oviedo
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
if they like him a lot.

NJ-STEELER wrote:

In another thread, you posted an article stating how the Steelers look for tackling ability and run support out of their CB's moreso than most teams, and since that is a strength of Haden's game and a weakness of Wilson's game, why would you prefer Wilson to Haden?

Because I'm not trading up to get haden and giving up a 2nd Round pick. And I think Haden is way overrated after watching many of his games at Florida. But what do I know.

aggiebones
04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
We don't get to draft high very often. Quite often we get to pick late.

It would be foolish to drop in the 1 draft where we get a decent pick. If our scouts are as good as advertised, then we should be able to get a great player at 18. Assuming about 5 teams really fudge up the draft like normal, then we could get a player OUR scouts view to be the 12-15 best player in the draft. Top caliber players drift away quickly in a draft. There's a big difference between a no.10 pick and no.30. I'm normally OK with trading from 26 to pick 40 as I don't view the player drop off that significant. But the drop from 15 to 25 is more dramatic.
If anything, I'd slide up about 5 spots if we can get a reasonable deal. We don't need 'players'. We need more studs.
In my mind if you get a chance to go get a pretty solid starter at T, then you get him. Yea, CB is always a concern, but just having Troy makes what we have much better. Carter starting last year really made everyone look worse.
Get a T as high as we can get. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd best T.
I see us sliding up. We have extra picks. Move up this season, then move back down next season to grab some more picks, assuming we are picking lower in the first round next season.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
if they like him a lot.

NJ-STEELER wrote:

Because I'm not trading up to get haden and giving up a 2nd Round pick. And I think Haden is way overrated after watching many of his games at Florida. But what do I know.

i'm with Ovi on this one - although i like Haden i personally would not want to give up a 2nd round draft choice to trade up for him. Kyle Wilson was the best CB at the Senior Bowl and would not require trading up for, thus saving our ammunition in case we want to move up in Round 2.

Kyle Wilson NFL Draft scouting report

5'10, 194 pounds | Cornerback | Boise State

Agility/Hips: Very quick and fluid hips. Shows a lot of flexibility when swinging to either side. Remains balanced throughout. Light on his feet and changes direction with ease at a high speed.

Ball Skills: Reacts to the ball better than most receivers. Can adjust his body to any angle in order to ensure he comes down with the ball. Positions his body well and times his breaks with consistent precision. Has the hands of a receiver.

Body Control: Plays with complete balance from head to toe, constantly upright and in position to explode in a break.

Instincts/Recognition: Very smart player that anticipates throws. Gets himself moving towards the action before the ball is even thrown. Does trust his instincts too much at times, can be fooled and caught gambling. Gets caught peeking in to the backfield, will lose track of what is behind him in zone coverage.

Man Coverage/Turning Ability/Press Skill: Loves this part of the game. Likes to be physical at the point of attack and has abused receivers trying to get off his jam. Has the speed and quick step to shadow a receiver all over the field. Fluid as he turns and runs, maintains acceleration while keeping track of the ball.

Pursuit: Likes to fly around and pursues plays on the other side of the field. A true hustler that knows his speed, takes proper angles.

Speed: Reaches top speed fat, but may lack the top tier deep speed. Does not seem to trust himself against a fast receiver, will give a lot of cushion if he does not have the over-the-top help.

Tackling/Run Support: Very physical, shows zero hesitation in throwing his body in to the action. Can blitz with the best of them, and he knows how to finish. Wraps up more than the average cornerback but will get caught diving at the ankles.

Zone Coverage: Can use his reading ability and explosion well with the action transpiring in front of him. Does not do well when moving backwards in zone coverage, loses track of the action behind him.

Final Word: Because Wilson played a lower level of Division I football, it was important for him to go down to Mobile and perform at the Senior Bowl. He was, without a doubt, the top cornerback there and he cemented himself as a first round caliber talent. His ball skills are top notch (10 career INTs – 27 pass breakups) and his ability to read a quarterback and time his breaks are NFL ready. He can play man coverage in any NFL scheme right away because of the quickness and his physical nature. His intangibles are top notch and the option he brings to the table as a solid return specialist will only increase his value, possibly in to the top 20. With the NFL constantly looking for athlete that can fulfill multiple roles each week, Wilson is going to catch the eye of a lot of evaluators.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/3/5 ... t-scouting (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/3/5/1357982/kyle-wilson-nfl-draft-scouting)

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Talking football with Boise State cornerback Aaron Wilson

Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson visited the Pittsburgh Steelers this week, and has been scheduled for visits with the St. Louis Rams, Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Wilson's draft stock continues to rise following a Pro Day workout where he ran the 40-yard dash between 4.39 and 4.43 seconds and also posted a 38-inch vertical leap.

Wilson conducted the following telephone interview with National Football Post.

Were you pleased with your Pro Day workout?

Wilson: "I was very happy with how everything went.. There was a lot of preparation. I was at home and relaxed. On the big stage, I always rise to the occasion."

With all of the success of offensive tackle Ryan Clady with the Denver Broncos, do you feel like that has helped pave a path for Boise State players in the NFL?

Wilson: "We're putting guys in the league every year, and those guys are doing well. It's a reflection of our program. We'll continue to build on that. It's definitely opening up people's eyes. We can compete with the best talent out there. You just bring that laser focus."

Do you feel like you can be a shutdown cornerback in the NFL?

Wilson: "Everybody wants to have that label as a shutdown guy who can take away certain receivers and their side of the field and not have quarterbacks throw their way. I definitely see myself as one of them."

Do you emulate any particular cornerbacks in the NFL?

Wilson: "I don't really watch other people play that way, but Darrelle Revis is the best one out there. He's real consistent and real complete with his game. I can only speak for myself. I can playing with anybody.

"The only thing I can control is dooing the things I do and making plays. I have put together a body of work. I will take my chances against anybody. I know I can play."

How would you rate yourself compared to the other cornerbacks in the draft like Joe Haden?

Wilson: "I know I'm the best out there. I just look for the opportunity to show that. I can just show my personality and my athleticism. I just go through the process and I enjoy it.

"I just really like making plays, taking receivers out of the play completely and making big hits. I can do it all and I love to do it all."

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Pro Football Talk's latest mock actually has Kyle Wilson going at #14 -

2010 mock draft

Posted by Evan Silva on April 2, 2010

1. Rams: Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma.

A Redskins trade up into the No. 1 spot is a growing possibility, and figures to gain steam as April 22 approaches. We're not bold enough to predict trades, however, and Bradford is presently Rams G.M. Billy Devaney's intended target.

2. Lions: Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle, Nebraska.

With both Suh and Russell Okung bound to be available, draft-day debate is inevitable in Detroit's green room. Protecting 2008 No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford should be a priority in the early rounds, but Suh offers too much value for Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew to pass.

3. Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, defensive tackle, Oklahoma.

The Bucs would likely prefer Suh's superior run-stopping ability, but McCoy will suffice as a consensus top-three player in the draft. He'd provide an immediate upgrade over incumbent three-technique tackle Ryan Sims, who managed one sack in 16 games last season.

4. Redskins: Russell Okung, offensive tackle, Oklahoma State.

The Redskins' lone offensive line addition so far has been 31-year-old journeyman Artis Hicks, who is projected to play right guard. Stephon Heyer would be Washington's left tackle if the season began today, so Mike Shanahan would be smart to draft the best pass protector available.

5. Chiefs: Bryan Bulaga, offensive tackle, Iowa.

Coming from Kirk Ferentz's pro-style system, Bulaga's NFL-ready skill set will appeal to the Chiefs as Matt Cassel enters a make-or-break year. He's due a $7.5 million option bonus in 2011, and G.M. Scott Pioli owes Cassel a chance to succeed with the best supporting cast possible.

6. Seahawks: Anthony Davis, offensive tackle, Rutgers.

C.J. Spiller is also believed to be on Seattle's radar at No. 6, but left tackle is easily Pete Carroll's biggest need on either side of the ball, thanks to ex-G.M. Tim Ruskell's misdoings. Though Davis' offseason has not been stellar, his game tape speaks for itself.

7. Browns: Eric Berry, safety, Tennessee.

Dez Bryant might have been a consideration for president Mike Holmgren's club had he delivered a strong Pro Day. Bryant didn't, so the Browns can solidify their secondary with one of the surest prospects in this year's draft class.

8. Raiders: Trent Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma.

In order for likely new quarterback Donovan McNabb to perform at a high level, the oft-injured 33-year-old will need protection. Williams is a bit of a 'tweener left/right tackle, but he's ready to start on the strong side in year one, and owner Al Davis will love his measurables.

9. Bills: Dan Williams, defensive tackle, Tennessee.

Buffalo's installation of a 3-4 defense won't work without a two-gapping nose tackle to clog the middle and keep offensive guards from taking Paul Posluszny and Andra Davis out of plays. Williams has Vince Wilfork-type potential at 6'2/330 with plenty of quicks and power.

10. Jaguars: Derrick Morgan, defensive end, Georgia Tech.

The Jags' arguably ill-advised signing of Aaron Kampman shouldn't prevent them from taking another pass rusher early after finishing dead last in sack differential. Kampman is recovering from a torn ACL and Jacksonville's other end, Derrick Harvey, provides next to nothing as a pocket pusher.

11. Broncos: Rolando McClain, linebacker, Alabama.

The Broncos have used the offseason to upgrade a front seven that collapsed to embarrassing levels during last year's second half, and should keep at it. Mario Haggan is currently slated to start at "Ted" linebacker, but McClain is much better in coverage with more play-making ability.

12. Dolphins: Dez Bryant, wide receiver, Oklahoma State.

Earl Thomas and Jason Pierre-Paul should be on G.M. Jeff Ireland's radar, but Bryant would fill a glaring need in addition to being the best player available. Bryant would replace Ted Ginn Jr. at split end, with Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, and Greg Camarillo fighting for scraps at flanker and slot receiver.

13: 49ers: Joe Haden, cornerback, Florida.

Haden vaulted his stock back into the top-15 range with a forty time in the mid-4.4s at the Gators' March 17 Pro Day. He would be an immediate starter opposite Shawntae Spencer in San Francisco, allowing Nate Clements to convert to safety and Tarell Brown to stay at nickel back.

14. Seahawks: Kyle Wilson, cornerback, Boise State.

Perhaps the draft's most NFL-ready corner as a four-year starter with the ability to play both zone and man coverage, Wilson won't get out of the top-19 picks. Currently, the Seahawks' only surefire starter in the secondary is CB Marcus Trufant, who's coming off an awful season.

15. Giants: Mike Iupati, offensive guard, Idaho.

The Giants have a better roster than any team that went .500 or worse in 2009, but their front five declined sharply. Iupati's addition would deservedly push LG Rich Seubert to the bench with William Beatty taking over at left tackle and David Diehl replacing Kareem McKenzie on the right.

16. Titans: Jason Pierre-Paul, defensive end, South Florida.

The consensus among evaluators at the Combine and Pierre-Paul's Pro Day was that his best position is end in a 4-3. He offers outrageous upside at 6'5/270 with 4.6 speed and a mammoth wingspan, and the Titans don't have a viable in-house replacement for Kyle Vanden Bosch.

17. 49ers: C.J. Spiller, running back, Clemson.

Spiller deserves to go earlier, but top-15 selections are rarely used on tailbacks, let alone those that don't project to be every-down, 300-carry runners. Spiller would upgrade San Francisco's return units tremendously, and de facto G.M. Trent Baalke has publicly spoken of drafting him.

18. Steelers: Kareem Jackson, cornerback, Alabama.

Jackson was overshadowed by Javier Arenas in Nick Saban's 3-4 defense, but started all three years and ran in the mid- to low-4.4s at the Scouting Combine. Jackson is squarely on the first-round radar, and Pittsburgh's biggest weakness is at cornerback.

19. Falcons: Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Missouri.

The Falcons weren't pleased with Stephen Nicholas' play on the strong side last year, and weak-side 'backer Mike Peterson turns 34 in a couple of months. A tackle machine and proven play-maker, Weatherspoon would be an upgrade over either adjacent to Curtis Lofton.

20. Texans: Ryan Mathews, running back, Fresno State.

Mathews' incredible combination of size, speed, balance, and power compares favorably to that of any running back in the draft. With tons of experience running behind zone blocks under Bulldogs coach Pat Hill, Mathews would also have a smooth transition into Gary Kubiak's scheme.

21. Bengals: Earl Thomas, safety, Texas.

The Bengals are high on Taylor Mays, but a safety of Thomas' caliber will be more difficult to pass on if he falls out of the top 20. Thomas is superior to Mays in terms of ball skills, range, hip fluidity, and man-to-man cover ability.

22. Patriots: Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

Not only do the Pats need receiver help this year, but Randy Moss is 33 years old, entering a contract season, and doesn't expect to re-sign with New England. Thomas, who averaged 25.1 yards per catch last year, is perhaps this draft's most dangerous vertical threat.

23. Packers: Charles Brown, offensive tackle, USC.

G.M. Ted Thompson did well to re-sign Chad Clifton last month, but the longtime Packers left tackle turns 34 before the season and is highly unlikely to hold up for 16 games. Brown fits the mold of a Green Bay lineman with long arms and ideal athleticism for zone blocking.

24. Eagles: Patrick Robinson, cornerback, Florida State.

Philadelphia was highly dissatisfied with its 2009 secondary play, so much so that starting CBs Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel are both available for trade. With Brown reportedly set to move on, Robinson would push Ellis Hobbs for the Birds' starting right corner job, allowing Macho Harris to focus on free safety.

25. Ravens: Jared Odrick, defensive tackle, Penn State.

New addition Cory Redding was initially billed as a likely starter in Baltimore, but the injury-prone underachiever would be better suited to coming off the bench. Odrick, the 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, has a better chance to make an impact as a two-gapping, five-technique end with the ability to collapse the pocket.

26. Cardinals: Jermaine Gresham, tight end, Oklahoma.

The Cards figure to consider Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham, but the former doesn't display ideal initial burst, and the latter is on the squatty side for a 3-4 edge rusher. With Arizona moving to a more run-oriented offense, a tight end like Gresham with in-line blocking experience and pro-ready pass-catching skills is needed.

27. Cowboys: Carlos Dunlap, defensive end, Florida.

The Cowboys assigned a mere original pick tender to restricted free agent Marcus Spears, confirming that they're not especially thrilled with the middling former first-rounder's performance. Dunlap needs a kick in the rear from time to time, but projects as a far superior pass rusher.

28. Chargers: Terrence Cody, defensive tackle, Alabama.

San Diego's most glaring need is at tailback, but G.M. A.J. Smith is unlikely to deem one worthy of this pick barring an unexpected slide by Spiller or Mathews. Nose tackle is next up on the Bolts' list of weaknesses, and Cody is a monster in the middle at 6'4/350.

29. Jets: Sergio Kindle, defensive lineman, Texas.

Kindle's times in the ten-yard split (1.65, 1.70) leave something to be desired, but his versatility will particularly appeal to hybrid defensive teams like the Jets. Kindle was productive throughout his career and has experience at defensive end, multiple linebacker positions, and on special teams.

30: Vikings: Jimmy Clausen, quarterback, Notre Dame.

We're holding firm to our prediction that Clausen - deservedly, or undeservedly -- is in for a draft-day slide. Minnesota would be an ideal situation if he does last until the 30s, however, as a year on the bench behind Brett Favre would humble Clausen and set him up to take over in 2011.

31. Colts: Brandon Graham, defensive end, Michigan.

Unlike 3-4 teams, the Colts are bigger on production than measurables when it comes to pass rushers. Graham's short arms and sub-6'2" height won't turn off club president Bill Polian, who witnessed in the Super Bowl how thin his team is becoming at defensive end.

32: Saints: Everson Griffen, defensive end, USC.

Griffen is being criticized as a workout wonder after managing just eight sacks in 2009 before dominating drills at the Combine and his Pro Day. However, Griffen did pace USC in the statistic, and last year's 9-4 Trojans failed to generate as many pass-rushing opportunities as usual.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ake-three/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/2010-mock-draft-take-three/)

WoodleyofTroy
04-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Just more evidence to not visit that site.

That was all around terrible.

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 03:37 PM

i agree with you there, i can't see us passing on Earl Thomas to take Kareem Jackson.

Pro Football Talk better stick to what they do best which is sensationalizing stories and leave the mock drafts to more knowledgeable people.

SteelCzar76
04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Kareem Jackson at 18 is so asinine,.....well,.. i could almost see it happening with the way we have been drafting for the last several years,.... :HeadBanger

Lebsteel
04-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Kareem Jackson at 18 is so asinine,.....well,.. i could almost see it happening with the way we have been drafting for the last several years,.... :HeadBanger
Yea and passing on Thomas, Spoon, Odrick and Graham to take a cornerback that was overshadowed by Javier Arenas and is rated well below all of the above would be incredibly stupid.

SteelCzar76
04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Yea and passing on Thomas, Spoon, Odrick and Graham to take a cornerback that was overshadowed by Javier Arenas and is rated well below all of the above would be incredibly stupid.

That's right sir we're talking about the one and the same Javier "runs a 5 flat 40 bucked nucleus with a five yard head start" Arenas. But hey,...Dshea Townsend was able to be one of the best Corners on this roster for years based upon how "seriously" we take the position. :lol:

Wolfhound45
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
if they like him a lot.

Agreed...I wouldn't trade down if we like him enough to draft him.

Dit to the O. If he is there, take him. Our secondary needs the help. Period.

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
2010 NFL Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Board Begins To Take Shape

Thirteen down, 17 more to go.

The Steelers have brought in 13 of the 30 prospects that they are permitted to meet prior to the 2010 draft.

These visits can be a clear indication of players or positions the team is interested in, or they could be smokescreens. It is difficult to tell. What is not difficult is to see that they have brought in nine defensive players to only four offensive players so far.

Look back to 2007, Mike Tomlin’s first draft. Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, Daniel Sepulveda, and Ryan McBean all visited the Steelers. They were also four of the Steelers' first five draft selections.

In 2008, they only drafted two of the 30 prospects they brought in: Dennis Dixon and Ryan Mundy. The following year, Pittsburgh drafted Joe Burnett, Frank Summers, Ra’Shon Harris, and A.Q. Shipley, all pre-draft visitors.

So far this year, three offensive linemen and one receiver have visited with the Steelers, while three cornerbacks, three linebackers, two safeties, and one defensive lineman have come to Pittsburgh.

Reading into the visits, it is clear that the Steelers will be looking to build the offensive line and get younger on defense.

Guards Chris DeGreare of Wake Forest and Jacques McClendon of Tennessee, as well as Indiana tackle Rodger Saffold, have been the offensive line visits thus far.

The Steelers should have competition at the right guard position, and they appear to be looking for more. Trai Essex made 16 starts last season, and undrafted rookie free agent Ramon Foster made four. It is also expected that last year’s third-round selection, Kraig Urbik, would have developed to the point where he should be a legitimate contender to battle it out with Essex and Foster.

DeGreare and McClendon are both late-round prospects that would need time to develop. They would be drafted for nothing more than depth.

Saffold is a more intriguing prospect. He has the ability to play every position but center and projects as a starter in the NFL. If the Steelers miss out on one of the elite tackle prospects in the first round, Saffold would be a quality addition in the second.

Defensively, it appears that the Steelers are looking for help across the board.

Even after drafting defensive ends Ziggy Hood and Ra’Shon Harris last season, the Steelers may be looking to improve their depth. Enter Mike Neal, defensive end from Purdue.

Neal is a strong, physical player who plays well against the run. He would have to make the transition from defensive tackle to defensive end in the Steelers defense. As a team leader, he would be a great character addition to the team as well. Neal definitely has upside as a fourth- or fifth-round pick.

Pittsburgh will also be taking a strong look at its defensive backfield after bringing in safeties Darrell Stuckey from Kansas and Brandon Ghee from Wake Forest, as well as cornerbacks Nolan Carroll from Maryland, Kareem Jackson from Alabama, and Kyle Wilson from Boise State.

On the surface, the Steelers appear to be set at safety after re-signing Ryan Clark and adding Will Allen. However, there is room for improvement. Stuckey and Ghee both have a second- or third-round projection, and each offers a different skill set.

Stuckey is a safety who has decent playmaking ability, with eight career interceptions, and good recovery speed.

Ghee was a cornerback in college but may make the transition to safety in the NFL. He is an athletic player with an upside, but he needs polish. The lack of playmaking would also be a concern, as Ghee only has one career interception.

The number of cornerbacks the Steelers are bringing in is interesting. Last year, they spent two draft selections on cornerbacks—Keenan Lewis in the third and Joe Burnett in the fifth. Given their limited playing time, it is unknown what the potential of either player is.

Jackson has a second round grade and Carroll a fifth-round grade. While each has some upside, it may not be significantly better than what the Steelers already have. Wilson, however, can be a No. 1 corner in the league and has been the only prospect with a first-round projection that the Steelers have brought in so far.

Wilson is quickly moving up draft boards, and there is a realistic chance that the Steelers draft him to start across from Ike Taylor. With 11 career interceptions, he would be the additional playmaker that the Steelers desperately need in their secondary.

The knock on Wilson is his size, but he weighs about the same as top cornerback prospect Joe Haden and is less than an inch shorter. Wilson may be the top cornerback on some draft boards.

As with the secondary, the Steelers also appear to be set at linebacker after signing Larry Foote. Still, it's another area where they can improve. Albert McClellan of Marshall and Eric Norwood of South Carolina would both appear to be outside linebacker prospects.

Rated as a second- or third-round selection, Norwood is the more highly rated player between the two and would have to take on the role of a pass-rushing specialist. He may not be the best fit in the Steelers defense, though. However, this has not kept Tomlin from trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The same could be said about inside linebacker Navorro Bowman from Penn State. As a potential second-round selection, Bowman would have to transition positions and is not the ideal inside linebacker for the Steelers defense. Instead, Tomlin and Co. may be more interested in Bowman’s teammate, Sean Lee. Lee has not visited with the Steelers.

Over the next few weeks leading up to draft day, the Steelers will use up their remaining 17 prospect visits. If the trend continues, they will be bringing in a high volume of defensive players and focus on the line with the offensive players that they bring in.

Will they stick to this draft board? That is yet to be determined. The NFL draft is a tricky thing to predict, and it is difficult to sort through what is a legitimate interest in a player and what is a smokescreen.

However, one thing that is clear is that the Steelers have recognized the areas that need improvement on the team—upgrading talent on the offensive line and getting younger on defense. Only three weeks away to see if they follow through.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3724 ... take-shape (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372435-steelers-draft-board-is-beginning-to-take-shape)

Wolfhound45
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
2010 NFL Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Board Begins To Take Shape

Wilson, however, can be a No. 1 corner in the league and has been the only prospect with a first-round projection that the Steelers have brought in so far.

Wilson is quickly moving up draft boards, and there is a realistic chance that the Steelers draft him to start across from Ike Taylor. With 11 career interceptions, he would be the additional playmaker that the Steelers desperately need in their secondary.

The knock on Wilson is his size, but he weighs about the same as top cornerback prospect Joe Haden and is less than an inch shorter. Wilson may be the top cornerback on some draft boards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3724 ... take-shape (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372435-steelers-draft-board-is-beginning-to-take-shape)

Nice find. Mahalo!

NJ-STEELER
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
didn't ghee run the fastest 40 at the combine for CBs

why would he project to safety?

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
didn't ghee run the fastest 40 at the combine for CBs

why would he project to safety?

not sure, but i've seen Ghee projected as a possible safety several times -

Wake Forest cornerback Brandon Ghee and South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood visited the Pittsburgh Steelers today, the team announced.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Brandon-Ghee.jpg
AP

Wake Forest cornerback-safety Brandon Ghee draws high marks for his speed and leaping ability.

A 6-foot, 192-pounder with 4.37 speed and a 37-inch vertical leap, Ghee projects as a potential safety in the NFL.

Norwood is a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection.

The 6-foot-1, 242-pounder has 4.71 speed, a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and bench presses 225 pounds 21 times.

Norwood played in the Senior Bowl.

According to the Steelers and NFL sources, the following players have visited: cornerbacks Kyle Wilson (Boise State), Kareem Jackson (Alabama) and Nolan Carroll (Maryland), wide receiver Joe Webb (Alabama-Birmingham), linebacker Albert McClellan (Marshall), offensive tackle Rodger Saffold (Indiana), offensive guards Jacques McClendon (Tennessee) and Chris DeGeare (Wake Forest), defensive lineman Michael Neal (Purdue), safety Darrell Stuckey (Kansas) and linebacker Navorro Bowman (Penn State).

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bra ... elers.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Brandon-Ghee-Eric-Norwood-visit-Steelers.html)

NJ-STEELER
04-03-2010, 10:23 PM
doesn't make sense to me.

he has prototypical CB size and speed. thats the type of CB i would want and the type the steelers look for as well

unless he's not fluid in his hips or something like that.

i could see him at safety if he fails at CB, but give him every opportunity to play there

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
doesn't make sense to me.

he has prototypical CB size and speed. thats the type of CB i would want and the type the steelers look for as well

unless he's not fluid in his hips or something like that.

i could see him at safety if he fails at CB, but give him every opportunity to play there

Bob Labriola mentions that Brandon Ghee may be tried at safety as well -

List of pre-draft player visits - 4-1
Bob Labriola - Steelers.com

Each NFL team is allowed to bring 30 prospects in for visits in advance of the 2010 Draft, which is scheduled for April 22-23-24.

So far, the Steelers have had 13 players in for visits – three offensive linemen, three cornerbacks, three linebackers, one defensive lineman, two safeties and one wide receiver.

The Steelers ended their first week of pre-draft visits on Thursday, April 1 by meeting with defensive back Brandon Ghee, 6-foot, 192-pounds, from Wake Forest; and linebacker Eric Norwood, 6-1, 245, from South Carolina.

Ghee played cornerback in college but may be tried at safety in the NFL, and Norwood was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection at linebacker in each of the past two seasons.

The Steelers have no visits planned either for Friday, April 2 or Monday, April 5 because of the Easter holiday.

On March 31, the Steelers brought in cornerback Nolan Carroll, 6-0, 200, from Maryland; cornerback Kareem Jackson, 5-11, 190, from Alabama; cornerback Kyle Wilson, 5-10, 190, from Boise State; wide receiver Joe Webb, 6-3, 223, from Alabama-Birmingham; and linebacker Albert McClellan, 6-1, 247, from Marshall.

Webb played quarterback in college where he was a two-year starter, but he will try to make it in the NFL as a receiver. He first worked out at receiver during the week of practices at the Senior Bowl.

On March 30, it was guard Jacques McClendon, 6-3, 324, from Tennessee; and tackle Rodger Saffold, 6-5, 315, from Indiana.

On March 29, the Steelers visited with defensive lineman Michael Neal, 6-3, 294, from Purdue; guard Chris DeGeare, 6-4, 325, from Wake Forest; safety Darrell Stuckey, 6-0, 205, from Kansas; and linebacker Navorro Bowman, 6-2, 242, from Penn State.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 36378b3c55 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/List-of-pre-draft-player-visits---4-1/573a6101-67ec-4fe8-815c-4936378b3c55)

grotonsteel
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM

:Agree

Karim Jackson at 18.... :wft

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2010, 03:36 AM

:Agree

Karim Jackson at 18.... :wft

i like Kareem Jackson and actually hope the Steelers trade up in Round 2 for him.

but you're right, not at #18.