PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch signs new 2 year contract

SteelCrazy
03-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Per Songwhale

calmkiller
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Jim Wexell and Steeler Depot also posted this on their Twitter accounts. Welcome back Glass man.

phillyesq
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I like Batch, but I hope there wasn't a signing bonus involved in the deal. Even though I like Batch, if Leftwich is released, I think he is a better option as a backup QB, especially if Ben's legal situation isn't resolved.

If Ben's situation is resolved favorably for Ben and the Steelers, then I think Batch is fine as a 3rd QB/mentor.

flippy
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Batch is more of a mentor than a QB.

Ben and Dixon are our QBs.

We'll be fine.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I guess Terry Bradshaw was unwilling to come out of retirement.

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
And there was much rejoicing..... (bleh)

BradshawsHairdresser
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
The news of a Willie Parker signing is imminent, unless Bettis agrees to terms first.

calmkiller
03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Steelersdepot

Early word is that the Batch contract is just over the NFL minimum for his experience. Roughly little less than 1 mill a year. #steelers

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
And there was much rejoicing..... (bleh)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/76752-rejoice.jpg

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Steelersdepot

Early word is that the Batch contract is just over the NFL minimum for his experience. Roughly little less than 1 mill a year. #steelers
Let's hope they can rid themselves of that contract easily...a million per for a 3rd stringer? Any word on the signing bonus?

calmkiller
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... um=twitter (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Batch-to-Two-Year-Deal/c0d50bcc-25b8-45a6-9107-1dc70b17f7fb?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The Steelers re-signed another of their own unrestricted free agents today when veteran QB Charlie Batch signed a two-year deal to remain with the team. Financial terms of the deal, which runs through the 2011 season were not released.

Batch, a 13-year NFL veteran from Homestead, Pa., will enter his ninth season with the Steelers since signing with his hometown team as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He spent the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Detroit Lions after being selected by Detroit in the second round (60th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Eastern Michigan.

Batch has started 50 games in his NFL career, including four with the Steelers. He has completed 819 of 1,461 passes for 10,050 yards (56.1 percent), 57 touchdowns, 44 interceptions and a 77.5 passer rating. Batch has thrown 135 passes and completed 76 for 1,034 yards (56.4 percent), eight touchdowns, four interceptions and an 88.3 passer rating during his Steelers career.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10085/1045898-100.stm

atch signs 2-year contract with Steelers
Friday, March 26, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch signed a two-year contract with the Steelers to resume his job as a backup quarterback, the team announced today.

Batch, 35, has been with the Steelers the past eight seasons. He became an unrestricted free agent March 5 but both he and Steelers officials said he would likely re-sign.

It is possible Batch might not return to his No. 2 job behind Ben Roethlisberger in 2010, though, because Dennis Dixon is expected to compete with him. Dixon moved up to No. 2 and stayed there after Batch broke his wrist during a Nov. 22 game in Kansas City.
For more on the Steelers, read the new blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at http://www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10085/10 ... z0jIjdpQyM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10085/1045898-100.stm#ixzz0jIjdpQyM)

Oviedo
03-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Proabably the worst signing of the off season.

However, given there is no cap this season they could probably cut him and absorb all the financial impact this season.

Batch is like Parker. Great team guys and good character but little to nothing left in the tank.

pittpete
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Proabably the worst signing of the off season

How so?
If Loverboy gets suspended,who would back up Dixon?
At least Batch knows the offense.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Batch is more of a mentor than a QB.

Ben and Dixon are our QBs.

We'll be fine.

supposedly, Batch and Ben are good friends and that Charlie is a good influence on Ben.

i would hate to see if Batch were a bad influence on Ben...that Charlie sure has been doing a good job with that! :roll:

steelblood
03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Proabably the worst signing of the off season

How so?
If Loverboy gets suspended,who would back up Dixon?
At least Batch knows the offense.

If Batch has to play he'll be on IR before he completes two quarters. He is the most injury prone player on the team (and he barely plays!).

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Steelersdepot

Let's hope they can rid themselves of that contract easily...a million per for a 3rd stringer? Any word on the signing bonus?

i sure hope Dennis Dixon wins the #2 spot because he at least has a future...Batch does not.

Steelers | Dixon, Batch to compete for No. 2 job

Fri, 26 Mar 2010

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QBs Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch will compete for the No. 2 quarterback job during training camp.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#635065#ixzz0jK4WWHjN

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Again - I want to know what the bonus is because if it was substantial then he'll be with the team unless he's a disaster in camp. If its nominal, then his position is dicey unless things go bad for Ben & the team is protected for whatever length of time he's out. But with them looking at Sheehan (sp?) from Bowling Green then I'm assuming they're going to bring another QB in at least for camp.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Batch is back, and happy about it

By Bob Labriola – Steelers.com

He wasn’t planning on a lengthy stay, not by any means. Both sides saw it as a short-term arrangement at the time, but it didn’t take long for Charlie Batchand the Steelers to realize theirs was a match made in football heaven.

Assuming Batch plays out the terms of the two-year contract he signed on March 25, the relationship will have lasted a decade. And both sides couldn’t be happier it did.
When Batch came to the Steelers after being released by the Detroit Lions in one of those post-June 1 salary cap moves back in 2002, he saw himself as an NFL starter very much in his prime. And he had ammunition for his argument, because at that time Batch was 27 and coming off three seasons in which he started 34 games and passed for 6,838 yards and 38 touchdowns.

When the Lions cut him, it was too late in the process for Batch to find a team where he could compete for a starting job, so he signed a one-year deal with his hometown team be No. 3 on a depth chart that also included returning starter Kordell Stewart and Arena League refugee Tommy Maddox.

In the third game of that season, Bill Cowher benched Stewart and replaced him with Maddox, primarily because Maddox had 18 months more experience in the Steelers’ offense than Batch. Maddox passed for 2,836 yards, with 20 touchdowns and 16 interceptions in 2002, and the following offseason Stewart was released.

By that time, Batch had re-established some roots in his hometown, had become active in helping the youth in the community and liked the feeling that came from winning and playing in the playoffs. And so he stayed.

And stayed. And along the way he grew deeper roots and became a pillar of the community, but he also produced when called upon to play.

In 2005, Batch was 2-0 as a starter for an injured Ben Roethlisberger – Maddox was 0-2 – during a regular season in which the Steelers’ 11-5 record qualified them as the final playoff team in the AFC. From there, they went on to win Super Bowl XL.

In 2006, Batch was needed to start the opener when Roethlisberger was recovering from an appendectomy, and he threw three touchdown passes in a win over Miami; later in that season he came on when Roethlisberger sustained a concussion in Atlanta and passed for 195 yards and two touchdowns to forge a tie in what became an overtime loss to the Falcons.

And as the years went on, Batch proved to be capable of filling the vital role of veteran backup quarterback for the Steelers, and the combination of winning Super Bowls and impacting the lives of thousands of youngsters in his hometown extinguished any remaining hint of wanderlust.

“I thought 2002 would be my one and only year here, and here we are again going into my ninth season here, which is unbelievable,” said Batch. “If you would have told me back then that I would be here this long, I would have told you that you were crazy. But here it is, and I’m excited. I have been excited every day.”

What Batch gives the Steelers today is a reliable, veteran presence at the critical quarterback position, and while there can be no argument that his body cannot do what it once could, it’s also true his smarts and experience can make up for a lot of it.
There have been occasions in the past few years where Batch has been an unrestricted free agent, but during each of those times the team never really tried to replace him, and he never really was looking to leave.

“It’s great to stay here. Hopefully, I didn’t have a reason to leave,” said Batch. “I wanted to be here, they know I wanted to be here. Over the course of the past eight years it’s been great. I love playing for this organization.

“For me, I always wanted to play for this organization, and to have the opportunity to embrace it has been great.”

Where Batch will fit on the depth chart in 2010 will be determined by what happens in Latrobe this summer. He will be 36 on Dec. 5, and he has been injured in each of the last two seasons. Dennis Dixon opened the 2009 season as the No. 3 quarterback, but he was impressive in his only NFL start – in Baltimore when Roethlisberger was recovering from a concussion and Batch was out with a broken wrist.

What Dixon can become and what Batch has left will be played out during training camp, but Charlie Batch is the kind of guy who will compete and then contribute in whatever way is asked of him, all while being a teammate in the locker room and a positive force in the community.

“There’s going to be a fire lit under everybody,” said Batch when asked about when he expects from the team in 2010. “Going through a Super Bowl season and then coming back and missing the playoffs, guys weren’t happy sitting at home watching and knowing we had an opportunity. I think when you add that to the element, it’s going to make guys hungrier and more motivated to get back to what we know and have become accustomed to as far as making a championship run.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 32a4e167c5 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Batch-is-back-and-happy-about-it/74fd41d8-60d0-45bc-94bf-f932a4e167c5)

Shawn
03-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Now if we could only re-sign Parker...then my journey in Steeler bliss will be complete.

steelblood
03-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Given Ben's situation it would have been smart to offer a sixth for Lefty (that probably would have done it). Then we still could have brought Batch to camp on a non-guaranteed contract.

Shoe
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I wish the team would've waited... given Marc Bulger's release, would've been nice to entertain the choice between Batch and Bulger (both hometown guys too).

Of course, a lot of it would depend upon what Bulger has left, but in their primes, Bulger is leagues better (than Batch). Bulger is no more a china doll than Batch.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I wish the team would've waited... given Marc Bulger's release, would've been nice to entertain the choice between Batch and Bulger (both hometown guys too).

Of course, a lot of it would depend upon what Bulger has left, but in their primes, Bulger is leagues better (than Batch). Bulger is no more a china doll than Batch.

They still could sign Bulger or Leftwich to compete with Batch in training camp.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 04:37 PM

i think Bulger will have a surprising amount of suitors, he's still a decent QB. it wasn't Bulger's fault he played behind one of the worst OL in the NFL, he took an absolute beating in every game i saw him play.

fordfixer
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM

i think Bulger will have a surprising amount of suitors, he's still a decent QB. it wasn't Bulger's fault he played behind one of the worst OL in the NFL, he took an absolute beating in every game i saw him play.
So now you want him to play behind our O-line?

Chadman
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Guess the Steelers were serious when they said they intend to enter the season with Ben, Dixon as #2 & Batch as #3. If they thought Ben was gone, would they have looked at a more NFL starter level QB option than Batch?

Hmm....Chadman is probably just clutching at straws & it really means nothing at all..

At least Batch seems like a nice guy... :D

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2010, 07:34 PM

no, you have to be very mobile to play behind our O-line, something that Bulger definitely is not.

but Bulger has probably learned to throw the ball away quickly, something that would come in handy if he played for us...unlike a certain QB who has been in the news lately. :stirpot

Shoe
04-06-2010, 12:33 AM

no, you have to be very mobile to play behind our O-line, something that Bulger definitely is not.

but Bulger has probably learned to throw the ball away quickly, something that would come in handy if he played for us...unlike a certain QB who has been in the news lately. :stirpot

Bulger has had to play the last few years with WR who could not get open as easy as our guys. Smoke dog, Hines, Mike Wallace, Heath, we got a plethora of weapons and Bulger throws beautifully as far as anticipation and touch go.

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Guess the Steelers were serious when they said they intend to enter the season with Ben, Dixon as #2 & Batch as #3. If they thought Ben was gone, would they have looked at a more NFL starter level QB option than Batch?

QBs – Ben Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon, Charlie Batch

Ben is only 28 and there’s a promising young QB behind him in Dennis Dixon, so we might be looking for a young developmental rookie in a late round to be a “camp arm” and stash on the practice squad for a year until Batch retires next season.

but if the Steelers burn a high pick (rounds 1-3) in this year's draft on a QB, i think that will be a clear and distinct signal that there is a problem with Big Ben.

i also believe that if Ben for whatever reason can't play for awhile, we will make a concentrated effort to acquire Byron Leftwich.