PDA

View Full Version : Thomas and Haden > Berry per Mayock

Lebsteel
03-26-2010, 10:53 AM
From NFL.com, Mike Mayock's Top 20
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8171c657&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

1. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
McCoy is incredibly disruptive for opponents' passing games.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Suh is a tremendous all-around defensive tackle.

3. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Bryant is reminiscent of Andre Johnson, but his off-field issues need to be qualified.

4. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Bradford is very accurate and poised in the pocket, but his durability is a concern.

5. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Okung is a top-10 caliber left tackle, but needs more consistent technique.

6. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Spiller has the speed to go the distance, and is a threat as a receiver, rusher and returner.

7. Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Thomas is the draft's most instinctive safety, but will his size limit him?

8. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Bulaga is a technician who was taught well by Iowa's Kirk Ferentz. His short arms are a concern.

9. Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Haden has quick-twitch muscles and is great at changing direction. He is surprisingly physical.

10. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Berry has all-pro tools, and a great all-around game.

11. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul is an explosive physical talent, but is raw and inexperienced.

12. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Williams can be a swing tackle, but will off-field issues affect him?

13. Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan has a great motor and was very productive in college. He gets off the ball quickly.

14. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is a massive interior presence, and has better feet than expected.

15. Sergio Kindle, DE/LB, Texas
He is an explosive edge pass rusher as an edge defensive end/outside linebacker. He is a playmaker.

16. Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
McClain is a prototypical inside linebacker for the 3-4, and can also play the strongside.

17. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Gresham is a game-breaking tight end, but the torn ACL he suffered last year needs to be qualified.

18. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Graham is scheme diverse, and had a great Senior Bowl week.

19. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Pouncey is a first-round center that can anchor and pull.

20. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
He can make all the NFL throws, but his intangibles need to be looked at closely.

flippy
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Great. If Berry drops that far, let's go get him.

phillyesq
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
He also has Pouncey as the 4th best offensive lineman, and ranks him ahead of Iupati. Interesting.

The thing I really like about Mayock's work is that he isn't afraid to move away from the group-think of draft pundits, as these rankings show.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd be happy with any of the 3, but I'd put Berry clearly at the head of the class, and give Haden and Thomas essentially the same grade, with preference based upon whether you need a CB or FS more (since our greater need is at CB, I'd take Haden before Thomas, but would not be unhappy with either). Haden and Thomas should both be good, and perhaps even great, but I think Berry has truly elite potential. To bring back the Pro Bowl vs. All-Pro comparison from another thread, I think Haden and Thomas might be able to play in the Pro Bowl, but I think that Berry will be a perennial All-Pro if he lives up to his potential.

Dee Dub
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I wouldnt read anything into this. This is what he does every year. He is trying to separate himself from the masses that be the NFL Draft so-called experts. He was the first to rate McCoy over Suh as well. And really...is McCoy really better than Suh??

There is no way that Haden or Thomas is better than Berry. But what fun would that be if all these experts fell in line with one another??

Lebsteel
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I wouldnt read anything into this. This is what he does every year. He is trying to separate himself from the masses that be the NFL Draft so-called experts. He was the first to rate McCoy over Suh as well. And really...is McCoy really better than Suh??

There is no way that Haden or Thomas is better than Berry. But what fun would that be if all these experts fell in line with one another??
Very true. Bucky Brooks is apparently doing the same thing. In his latest mock he has Suh falling to the Raiders at #8. If he fell that far, I'd love to trade our Rd 2, 4 and 5 to get him! I think he would be worth that.

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Dub is right, every year he has couple of guys he really pimps & some he just lays into. He really is more hit & miss than the rest of them.

MaxAMillion
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I think people are sleeping on Pouncey. I want him over Iupati. I think he will be the Steelers pick at #18 and I think he will be a great player.

steelblood
03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
At least Mayock makes a case and backs it up with some sound logic. Some of these other guys have no clue. Is Mayock a great prognosticator? Not really. Is he interesting? Usually.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I think people are sleeping on Pouncey. I want him over Iupati. I think he will be the Steelers pick at #18 and I think he will be a great player.

i'm all for an upgrade over Hartwig and Legursky, C and CB are the two weakest positions on the team in my opinion.

however, if we are going to take Pouncey i would prefer trading down a bit in the first round and picking up another 2nd or 3rd round draft choice.

Shawn
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM

There are quite a few draftniks that believe McCoy is indeed better than Nuh especially in the right system. He is a more disruptive pass rusher. I'm certainly not saying I agree with him but he isn't the first to say this.

Dee Dub
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM

There are quite a few draftniks that believe McCoy is indeed better than Nuh especially in the right system. He is a more disruptive pass rusher. I'm certainly not saying I agree with him but he isn't the first to say this.

I dont agree with that and the numbers validate my thought. Over the last two years Suh as been the more dominate. He had 19 sacks and 42 tackles for loss where McCoy had 12.5 and 26. And there is no question McCoy played on the better defense.

Shawn
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":12czl8gs]I wouldnt read anything into this. This is what he does every year. He is trying to separate himself from the masses that be the NFL Draft so-called experts. He was the first to rate McCoy over Suh as well. And really...is McCoy really better than Suh??

I dont agree with that and the numbers validate my thought. Over the last two years Suh as been the more dominate. He had 19 sacks and 42 tackles for loss where McCoy had 12.5 and 26. And there is no question McCoy played on the better defense.[/quote:12czl8gs]

Like I said, I didn't say I agree but Maylock isn't the first to say it.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Browns will eyeball Eric Berry

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2010

Eric Berry of Tennessee is the highest rated safety in the 2010 draft. And so he'll be visiting one of the teams possessing one of the highest picks.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns will host Berry on April 8.

Per Cabot, a workout has not been scheduled. At the team facility, only a medical exam can be performed. Browns spokesperson Ashley Kerns said that the team believes it has sufficient knowledge of Berry's physical skills.

The Browns hold the seventh overall pick in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ric-berry/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/browns-will-eyeball-eric-berry/)