PDA

View Full Version : So what is it that Ben actually has done wrong?

Dee Dub
03-25-2010, 11:25 AM
He goes to a celebrity/charity golf tournament and is accused of raping a woman who after the alleged incident bragged repeatedly through emails about being with Ben. She never goes to the police to file criminal charges and waits for over a year since the alleged incident and then files a civil suit for financial gain. This same woman later lied about her current psychiatric counseling, claiming it was needed because of depression brought on by what she alleges Ben did to her. This is not so. In fact it was unrelated to any alleged interaction with Ben. It was from…get this…a bizarre relationship she had with a married man. This man’s wife created a phony e-mail account, posing as a soldier in Iraq, apparently in the hopes of gaining information about McNulty's relationship with the married man. A former coworker of McNulty's claims that McNulty "fell in love" with the fictitious soldier, and that McNulty began telling people they were engaged. The wife of the married man stopped the correspondence, and McNulty then began telling people the fictitious soldier was killed in action.

Then Ben goes out with friends to celebrate his 28th birthday. He is single man, not married who actually shows some responsibility and takes necessary precautions to guard against any problems by hiring body guards, two of which are off duty police officers. While at a club he is then accused of sexual assault by a young woman. This same young woman presented an I.D. that was fake, that lied about her age so she can enter a over 21 club illegally. While at the club she drinks so much that she registers a 0.20 alcohol level when authorities administered the test to her after her allegations. She was 10 times over the legal limit for drivers younger than 21. This incident occurred at a club where there were over a 100 people at and not one witness has come forward to validate this woman’s claim. This woman then now is no longer cooperating with investigates in this matter and failed to show up for a scheduled second interview last week.

So Again…I ask..what is it that Ben has actually done wrong?

I say Roger Goodell should go you know what himself.

There is a article on yahoosports that headlines “Roethlisberger threatens Steeler credibility”. I think there is no credibility in a league/sport that attacks and stains a man’s character over the lies of one unstable woman and another who was so intoxicated that she could hardly stand. And both of these women lied through their teeth.

ikestops85
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I thought it was an 18 and over club but toe drink you needed a wristband. Where did you get the info that she had a fake ID and blew a .20? I've never read any of that.

Dee Dub
03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought it was an 18 and over club but toe drink you needed a wristband. Where did you get the info that she had a fake ID and blew a .20? I've never read any of that.

"She presented the ID, but the security saw that it clearly was a fake birth date," said Cansino, a former county prosecutor. "Because she never got the chance to drink, security confiscated it and didn't turn her over for other charges."

According to Cansino, authorities told him the woman's blood alcohol level was above 0.20 percent — more than 10 times the legal limit for drivers younger than 21 in Georgia and more than twice the limit for older motorists.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 73293.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_673293.html)

BradshawsHairdresser
03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
You're right, DD...

Through all of this, Ben has been the picture of wise decision-making, and the model of upstanding behavior. He has represented his team as a franchise quarterback should.

And any of the b-----s who don't agree can just line up and take his shots.

ikestops85
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM

"She presented the ID, but the security saw that it clearly was a fake birth date," said Cansino, a former county prosecutor. "Because she never got the chance to drink, security confiscated it and didn't turn her over for other charges."

According to Cansino, authorities told him the woman's blood alcohol level was above 0.20 percent — more than 10 times the legal limit for drivers younger than 21 in Georgia and more than twice the limit for older motorists.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 73293.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_673293.html)

Thanks ... I had never seen that before.

Now, as far as what Ben has done wrong. The answer to date is legally NOTHING. Unfortunately in the court of public opinion legality counts for squat. It is all about PERCEPTION. Go to any other teams site and bring up Ben and I garuantee you the response you will get from some is RAPIST. That's the same thing when people talk about Ray Lewis on this site somebody invariably calls him a murderer. Well legally he is not a murderer but the perception the public has is the opposite.

The difference between Ben and Ray is that Lewis learned from his one brush with the law and he now stays home and doesn't go clubbing. He smartened up. Ben on the other hand obviously hasn't.

It's not that Ben doesn't have the right to sleep with any girl he wants to. He does have that right. But he has to realize that he is a public figure and as such he will attract some crazies around him. If he keeps going out and hooking up with women an hour after meeting them the odds favor that one or several of them will be one of the crazies and it will not turn out well. It's happened to him twice now ... probably out of hundreds of hookups and the end result is he is labeled a rapist.

So when you ask what Ben has done wrong I can honestly tell you

HE HAS LET HIS STUPIDITY FLAG FLY FOR ALL TO SEE!!

Sugar
03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure that BB, like all of us, has his fair share of sins. Those are things that we all account to God for.

Now, what law has he broken? None that we know of.

It actually angres me a little that this thing has gained this much attention without so much as a formal charge.

cruzer8
03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Nothing.

When he was accused in Reno people said he should have bodyguards with him and all that.

Then he did just that and was still accused.

Now people are saying he shouldn't be out at a bar. If he had a party at his place and was accused of something people would come up with some BS like he should screen the guests better or whatever.

It's called moving the goalposts and internet posters of the highest moral standing do it all the time.

anger 82&95
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
In my opinion, a societal verdict was delivered before actual context was established… His past, anecdotal “evidence” and irrelevant issues, i.e., the shirt he was wearing, have been used to establish deductions completely unsubstantiated by actual facts. In short, I believe that Roethlisberger’s character is sound and that he will exonerated of the non-charges not yet brought against him???

Dee Dub
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
In my opinion, a societal verdict was delivered before actual context was established… His past, anecdotal “evidence” and irrelevant issues, i.e., the shirt he was wearing, have been used to establish deductions completely unsubstantiated by actual facts. In short, I believe that Roethlisberger’s character is sound and that he will exonerated of the non-charges not yet brought against him???

Well I was the one who brought up the shirt he was wearing that night..but not because I thought it was proof he did something wrong. I as a Christian just simply found it offensive. But I was able to take a step back and look at these actual charges and did some investigating of the facts myself and have come to understand Ben did nothing wrong and there was no evidence to say otherwise.

Getting what I said and felt about his shirt that night wrong is kind of like what you are saying about having a societal verdict. Right?

anger 82&95
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":15nx84xj]In my opinion, a societal verdict was delivered before actual context was established… His past, anecdotal “evidence” and irrelevant issues, i.e., the shirt he was wearing, have been used to establish deductions completely unsubstantiated by actual facts. In short, I believe that Roethlisberger’s character is sound and that he will exonerated of the non-charges not yet brought against him???

Well I was the one who brought up the shirt he was wearing that night..but not because I thought it was proof he did something wrong. I as a Christian just simply found it offensive. But I was able to take a step back and look at these actual charges and did some investigating of the facts myself and have come to understand Ben did nothing wrong and there was no evidence to say otherwise.

Getting what I said and felt about his shirt that night wrong is kind of like what you are saying about having a societal verdict. Right?[/quote:15nx84xj]I believe that issues such as “the shirt” helped the defamation process gain momentum. And no, again in my opinion, I don’t believe you used his attire to complete a guilty profile, you simply didn’t agree with the message portrayed on his shirt. In reality, I actually thought the depiction on the shirt resembled Ming the Merciless… So, perhaps he’s only guilty of supporting alien despots.

Oviedo
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Nothing.

When he was accused in Reno people said he should have bodyguards with him and all that.

Now people are saying he shouldn't be out at a bar. If he had a party at his place and was accused of something people would come up with some BS like he should screen the guests better or whatever.

It's called moving the goalposts and internet posters of the highest moral standing do it all the time.

It is not moving the goalposts it is called protecting your $100M+ salary. The reality is when you make money like you cannot do the same things other people do the same ways they do it. You have to be smart enough to realize that.

eniparadoxgma
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
So, perhaps he’s only guilty of supporting alien despots.

That there's good stuff. :Beer :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-25-2010, 02:05 PM
My reply is, come on don't be silly. The burden on a $150MM employee is not just "don't get formally charged with anything". It is to act in a way that keeps you off the front pages and the police blotters.

People making a lot less than him, and who don't represent the "face of a franchise" have higher expectations than just "not getting charged or arrested". It's not too much to say that Ben should accept the same standards of behavior and act accordingly.

If it were an impossible task, well that would be one thing. But there are a lot of other high profile sports figures (Brady, etc.) who manage to live their lives without being accused or rape or sexual assault twice a year. Ben should be one of them.

cruzer8
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Nothing.

It is not moving the goalposts it is called protecting your $100M+ salary. The reality is when you make money like you cannot do the same things other people do the same ways they do it. You have to be smart enough to realize that.

In this case it is moving the goalposts. After McNutty people said he should always have people with him. So this time he has people with him and now they say, "he shouldn't be going out to bars."

That is a classic case of moving the goalposts.

eniparadoxgma
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
In this case it is moving the goalposts. After McNutty people said he should always have people with him. So this time he has people with him and now they say, "he shouldn't be going out to bars."

That is a classic case of moving the goalposts.

qft

Also, in response to ikestops85's[ earlier post, I don't think it makes sense to say that Ben should have stopped "clubbing" after his first brush with these types of problems. He was staying in a hotel and banged the employee the first time. He wasn't in any type of party/club/bar scenario. Therefore, him going out for his birthday I don't find relevant.

Just my opinion.

Dee Dub
03-25-2010, 04:51 PM
My reply is, come on don't be silly. The burden on a $150MM employee is not just "don't get formally charged with anything". It is to act in a way that keeps you off the front pages and the police blotters.

People making a lot less than him, and who don't represent the "face of a franchise" have higher expectations than just "not getting charged or arrested". It's not too much to say that Ben should accept the same standards of behavior and act accordingly.

If it were an impossible task, well that would be one thing. But there are a lot of other high profile sports figures (Brady, etc.) who manage to live their lives without being accused or rape or sexual assault twice a year. Ben should be one of them.

So you believe that just because Ben is the face on the Steelers franchise and he makes over a 100 million dollars that just by being at this night club he was doing something wrong?

You do not believe that maybe these two women sought Ben out to intentionally gain financially with a bogus lawsuit?

If you and your buddies went out to a night club and celebrated your birthday and did nothing wrong other than drink, dance, and carry-on in celebratory way, is that doing something wrong?

SteelAbility
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Ok, Dee Dub, it's official. You are obsessing on Ben's innocence. :P

Also I agree with SASF. Ben is not keeping himself out of position for such things to fly at him. He took some people out with him. That was a good thing. But ultimately he was willing to go into an isolation situation ... i.e. to the bathroom with this female ... and it became a he-said/she-said. In light of the McNulty case, subsequent allegation automatically gains clout because of perception.

And no, you can't control other people, but you can sure as !%!$#%@!#$%% make it easier for their shenanigans to have effect.

The Steelers honored him with a $100M contract. There is an unwritten "don't be a schmuck" built into that. IMO, Ben is guilty of at least a bit of schmuckery here (insofar as giving consideration to the Steelers), especially in light of the fact that it should be obvious he has $$$$$ signs on his chest and a target on his back.

SteelAbility
03-25-2010, 05:15 PM

So you believe that just because Ben is the face on the Steelers franchise and he makes over a 100 million dollars that just by being at this night club he was doing something wrong?

You do not believe that maybe these two women sought Ben out to intentionally gain financially with a bogus lawsuit?

If you and your buddies went out to a night club and celebrated your birthday and did nothing wrong other than drink, dance, and carry-on in celebratory way, is that doing something wrong?

Going to the night club wasn't the problem. Being willing to go to the bathroom with the girl was.

SteelAbility
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Can we now move on to the re-revised mocked drafts? :wink:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-25-2010, 05:21 PM

He can do all that, I don't think that's the issue. What I'm saying is that whatever he did or didn't do, he failed to stay out of the muck raking media front pages and the police blotter, he brought embarassment to his employer and to many of his fans. He can go clubbing or skirt chasing all he wants, and as long as everything is cool and under the radar, the employer (Rooney, et. al) is happy. When bad publicity occurs the employer, and fans (that's us :tt1 ) aren't happy.

Don't know if "staying off of the police blotter" is in his contract, but it doesn't have to be. That's just a minimal expectation of an employee in the entertainment industry. That's why the player's union gave the Commish the right to meet with, ? suspend , ? worse without a conviction.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting story on this case published today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5028720

According to this, the accuser IS still co-operating.. And, it says, the GBI has made it known to Ben that they want to talk to him, but they're still waiting for him.

ikestops85
03-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Also, in response to ikestops85's earlier post, I don't think it makes sense to say that Ben should have stopped "clubbing" after his first brush with these types of problems. He was staying in a hotel and banged the employee the first time. He wasn't in any type of party/club/bar scenario. Therefore, him going out for his birthday I don't find relevant.

Just my opinion.

E, my point wasn't he shouldn't go "clubbing" anymore (that's what Lewis did). My point was he went to a bar and in less than an hour was getting his knob polished by someone he didn't know. Is that wrong? Hell no. Is that stupid when you are a target? Abso-friggin-lutely!!

That was my point and it also is just my opinion. :lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Also I agree with SASF. Ben is not keeping himself out of position for such things to fly at him. He took some people out with him. That was a good thing. But ultimately he was willing to go into an isolation situation ... i.e. to the bathroom with this female ... and it became a he-said/she-said. In light of the McNulty case, subsequent allegation automatically gains clout because of perception.

And no, you can't control other people, but you can sure as !%!$#%@!#$%% make it easier for their shenanigans to have effect.

The Steelers honored him with a $100M contract. There is an unwritten "don't be a schmuck" built into that. IMO, Ben is guilty of at least a bit of schmuckery here (insofar as giving consideration to the Steelers), especially in light of the fact that it should be obvious he has $$$$$ signs on his chest and a target on his back.

Sorry, SteelAbility, I didn't see you'd posted before I wrote my answer - just a repeat of what you said, essentially!

frankthetank1
03-26-2010, 12:16 AM

he shouldnt be putting himself in bad situations. ben seems like a good guy and i dont think he is guilty but this is the second assault accusation in one year!! how many other nfl players do you know of that get accused of sexual assault this consistently? i cant think of any. its not about doing something wrong or being a shady person its about being smart and not giving low life skanks the opportunity to get a piece of your 100 million dollar contract

Dee Dub
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Insert video of Terrell Owens crying saying "That's my Quarterback man". :wink:

Dee Dub
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM

he shouldnt be putting himself in bad situations. ben seems like a good guy and i dont think he is guilty but this is the second assault accusation in one year!! how many other nfl players do you know of that get accused of sexual assault this consistently? i cant think of any. its not about doing something wrong or being a shady person its about being smart and not giving low life skanks the opportunity to get a piece of your 100 million dollar contract

Oh ok you are criticizing him for simply not being smart?? OK...cool...so again he really hasnt done anything wrong. :wink:

SteelAbility
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
[quote=SanAntonioSteelerFan]My reply is, come on don't be silly. The burden on a $150MM employee is not just "don't get formally charged with anything". It is to act in a way that keeps you off the front pages and the police blotters.

Oh ok you are criticizing him for simply not being smart?? OK...cool...so again he really hasnt done anything wrong. :wink:[/quote:3lj1e3xc]

Well, the question is up in the air as to whether it's being smart or acting smart. ;)

eniparadoxgma
03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Also, in response to ikestops85's earlier post, I don't think it makes sense to say that Ben should have stopped "clubbing" after his first brush with these types of problems. He was staying in a hotel and banged the employee the first time. He wasn't in any type of party/club/bar scenario. Therefore, him going out for his birthday I don't find relevant.

Just my opinion.

E, my point wasn't he shouldn't go "clubbing" anymore (that's what Lewis did). My point was he went to a bar and in less than an hour was getting his knob polished by someone he didn't know. Is that wrong? Hell no. Is that stupid when you are a target? Abso-friggin-lutely!!

That was my point and it also is just my opinion. :lol:

Got ya. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant or not. I understand your point then lol.

cruzer8
03-26-2010, 01:47 PM
It's pretty easy for folks who don't have pu**y thrown at them like celebs and athletes do to say, "He's got to be smarter than that".

papillon
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
It's pretty easy for folks who don't have pu**y thrown at them like celebs and athletes do to say, "He's got to be smarter than that".

You're right, but he still has to be smarter than that, for his own sake, not yours and not mine. He has much more to lose than most guys that go out looking for a little knob polishing. On the other hand, if he isn't smarter than that, it doesn't really have an effect on me one way or another, so, he's free to do as he pleases and he doesn't need my okay to go do it. He's the one with everything to lose and nothing to gain in this situation.

I'm just a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers regardless of who plays and doesn't play. I won't be any less of a fan if he were to be released or jailed after a conviction. I'll still bleed black and gold and be entertained as a Steeler fan; Ben's the one who will be in jail or out of the league or both, not me.

So, I still think he needs to be smarter than he has been in the past and present for his own good as Ive explained above.

Pappy

ter1230_4
03-26-2010, 02:54 PM
This whole "poor Ben, he's a target because he's a famous rich QB" is really wearing thin. We Steeler fans like to favorably compare Ben to Tom Brady and Payton Manning for his on-field performance, and rightfully so. I would take Ben over either Brady or Manning today for various reasons. But here's an off-field comparison that isn't particularly flattering for Ben. Number of times accused of rape/sexual assault: Ben - 2, Brady - 0. Manning - 0. And it's not like Brady or Manning have any less of a target on them than Ben does. They were famous and rich before Ben was. Brady may have fathered an illegitimate child, but that was with a supermodel, while he married another supermodel. Come to think of it, when was the last time any rich, famous NFL QB other than Ben was accused of rape/sexual assault? There is clearly something else going on here with Ben's conduct.

frankthetank1
03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
[quote=SanAntonioSteelerFan]My reply is, come on don't be silly. The burden on a $150MM employee is not just "don't get formally charged with anything". It is to act in a way that keeps you off the front pages and the police blotters.

Oh ok you are criticizing him for simply not being smart?? OK...cool...so again he really hasnt done anything wrong. :wink:[/quote:hlpjsq6d]

yes thats right i am saying he is an idiot who puts himself in bad positions. i dont think he is a bad guy but when you make 100 mill you cant live the same lifestyle as someone who makes 40K a year. also riding a motorcycle in a busy city without a helmet isnt all that bright either. he shouldnt be putting his career in jeopordy

Shawn
03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Where is the beating a dead horse emoticon when you need one?

papillon
03-26-2010, 10:54 PM

You mean this one?

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

:tt2 :tt2

Pappy

Shawn
03-27-2010, 12:03 AM

You mean this one?

Pappy

Yes that would be the one. :lol:

LordVile
03-27-2010, 02:27 AM

You mean this one?

Pappy

HILARITY :Clap kudos to pappy

papillon
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM

You mean this one?

Pappy

HILARITY :Clap kudos to pappy

Hey, it's a good day when a "Lord" gives you kudos. :P :tt2

Pappy