PDA

View Full Version : Walter Football Four-Round Mock Draft

Lebsteel
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Much, much better....I'd be very happy if it turned out this way (at least 1 and 2):

1) Rolando McClain ILB
2) Kareem Jackson CB
3) John Jerry OG
4) Thaddeus Gibson OLB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Much, much better....I'd be very happy if it turned out this way (at least 1 and 2):

1) Rolando McClain ILB
2) Kareem Jackson CB
3) John Jerry OG
4) Thaddeus Gibson OLB

i don't see the need to use our #1 draft choice on an ILB now that we have re-signed Larry Foote and also have Keyaron Fox as a very capable back-up.

love CB Kareem Jackson in Round 2 and OG John Jerry in Round 3 though. :Clap

Chadman
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
It's all speculation obviously, but it would be VERY surprising if BOTH McLain & Jackson fell to the respective Steeler picks. After all, both are projected on nearly every other site to go earlier- with Jackson now turning up at the end of Round 1 on some sites.

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
It's all speculation obviously, but it would be VERY surprising if BOTH McLain & Jackson fell to the respective Steeler picks. After all, both are projected on nearly every other site to go earlier- with Jackson now turning up at the end of Round 1 on some sites.

McClain may not fall past the NY Giants at #15 -

NFL | Coughlin was impressed with McClain

Wed, 24 Mar 2010

Bob Glauber, of Newsday, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said he was impressed with University of Alabama LB Rolando McClain during his Pro Day. Coughlin spoke with Alabama head coach Nick Saban about McClain.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#634592#ixzz0j8MR8PYB

Chadman
03-24-2010, 06:46 PM
He's great value at #15. Here's betting that if he's still on the board around there, a smart team, a team with many draft picks, will trade up to grab him.

A team like the Patriots.

Shawn
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm not a Gibson fan but I must say he would be a value in the 4th. He has enough athleticism and upside that I would take a chance on him. But, I'm not a fan of some of the mocks that have him as a second round talent because he isn't.

NJ-STEELER
03-24-2010, 11:10 PM

1) Rolando McClain ILB
2) Kareem Jackson CB
3) John Jerry OG
4) Thaddeus Gibson OLB

i don't see the need to use our #1 draft choice on an ILB now that we have re-signed Larry Foote and also have Keyaron Fox as a very capable back-up.

love CB Kareem Jackson in Round 2 and OG John Jerry in Round 3 though. :Clap

i kind of agree cause i dont think you need so many high picks at the LB position to be sucessful.

but, i think mcclain is definately a difference maker. stop the run, rush the passer. liked how he looked on screens in the championship game as well.

that said, i'd be shocked if the giants dont pick him if he's there at 15. even before they signed Rolle where some thought they would go DB instead of LB

birtikidis
03-24-2010, 11:40 PM
If Mclain is there, say goodbye to Fox. he's not as good as Ya'll think anyway.

steelblood
03-25-2010, 08:40 AM
If Mclain is there, say goodbye to Fox. he's not as good as Ya'll think anyway.

You don't have to cut Fox this season if you add McClain.

We usually keep 8-9 linebackers.

we could go

Harrison
Wood
Frazier or rookie
Timmons (inside/outside)
McClain
Farrior
Foote
Fox

That is 8 and with Timmons ability to play outside if Wood or Harrison go down, I' think we'd be ok.

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Walt just added a 5th round to this mock, and gave us LeGarrette Blount with our regular 5th rounder and Barry Church & Jay Ross wiith our 5th round comp picks. Not bad at all!

151. Pittsburgh Steelers: LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon
Willie Parker is gone, and the Steelers will be looking for another running back. LeGarrette Blount could be a Jerome Bettis-esque hammer to complement Rashard Mendenhall.

164. Pittsburgh Steelers: Barry Church, SS, Toledo
Safety depth is needed just in case Troy Polamalu goes down again.

166. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jay Ross, NT, East Carolina
Casey Hampton, 33, just signed a 3-year deal. He may not last the duration of that contract. A successor is needed.

So that would give us:

1) Rolando McClain ILB
2) Kareem Jackson CB
3) John Jerry OG
4) Thaddeus Gibson OLB
5) LeGarrette Blount RB
5c) Barry Church SS
5c) Jay Ross NT

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
The other guy on Walt's site, Matt McGuire, updated his two round mock yesterday, giving us OG Mike Iupati from Idaho (passing on Sean Weatherspoon, Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Jared Odrick, Anthony Davis, Taylor Mays, Maurkice Pouncey, etc.) and CB Brandon Ghee from Wake Forest. He did have Haden falling to San Fran in the teens, though. You wonder how interested we would be in a trade-up (considering we have 10 picks now and filled many of our depth holes in free agency) if that happened.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Walter even has a 1st round mock for 2011 up already!

He has us taking Cameron Heyward from Ohio State, by the way, to team up with Ziggy Hood to be our DE's of the future when it is time for Aaron and Brett to hang 'em up.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Lebsteel
03-26-2010, 10:25 AM

He has us taking Cameron Heyward from Ohio State, by the way, to team up with Ziggy Hood to be our DE's of the future when it is time for Aaron and Brett to hang 'em up.

I definitely don't like where he has us picking (#16). He has the Stains at 1 (I'm OK with that) and the Ravens at 30. :ratsuck

buckeyehoppy
03-28-2010, 10:40 PM

This pick would be better than sex! Cameron Heyward in Black and Gold... YES! YES! YES!

NJ-STEELER
03-29-2010, 12:57 AM

This pick would be better than sex! Cameron Heyward in Black and Gold... YES! YES! YES!

wow

never new that was "iron head's" kid

steeler_george
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
The other guy on Walt's site, Matt McGuire, updated his two round mock yesterday, giving us OG Mike Iupati from Idaho (passing on Sean Weatherspoon, Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Jared Odrick, Anthony Davis, Taylor Mays, Maurkice Pouncey, etc.) and CB Brandon Ghee from Wake Forest. He did have Haden falling to San Fran in the teens, though. You wonder how interested we would be in a trade-up (considering we have 10 picks now and filled many of our depth holes in free agency) if that happened.

With so much equally valued ( too me ) talent available it seems pretty tempting to trade down. I like all these players including some not even mentioned such as NT Dan Williams.

But who would be the willing partner?

I (exluded the Patriots, and the AFCN teams) Green Bay at 23, Vikings at 24, Cardinals 26, Dallas 27. And who would the Steelers pick up.

What is the value of trading down (draft selection)

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2010, 09:52 AM

With so much equally valued ( too me ) talent available it seems pretty tempting to trade down. I like all these players including some not even mentioned such as NT Dan Williams.

But who would be the willing partner?

I (exluded the Patriots, and the AFCN teams) Green Bay at 23, Vikings at 24, Cardinals 26, Dallas 27. And who would the Steelers pick up.

What is the value of trading down (draft selection)

Philly picks at #24, not Minnesota. If we use them as an example, their 1st round pick is worth 740 points on the draft trade value chart, and their 2nd round pick is worth 350 points. That would be 1090 points total. Our 1st rounder is worth 900 and our 3rd rounder is worth 180, for a total of 1080 points. So we could potentially turn our 3rd round pick into a 2nd round pick (moving up 27 spots from #83 to #55) by moving down 6 spots in round one.

steeler_george
03-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I would love to trade down, with this draft being pretty deep at the positions and BPA we are looking for OL/DB/DE.

Now would you trade down if Haden drops ( I don't see it happening, but I never thought Mendy would drop to us in a later draft pick)

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I would love to trade down, with this draft being pretty deep at the positions and BPA we are looking for OL/DB/DE.

Now would you trade down if Haden drops ( I don't see it happening, but I never thought Mendy would drop to us in a later draft pick)

No. If Haden drops, you thank your lucky stars and take him. Corner is the one spot where a starting position is in question (most of the rest of the positions we talk about are regarding depth, not starters right now...safety depth, LB depth, d-line depth, RB depth, etc.), so if you have a shot at the best CB in the draft, you don't flinch. I'd even be willing to trade up a bit if he was within reasonable range to make sure that you get him (since we have 10 total picks and have filled several depth roles already in free agency, making it unlikely that that many rookies would be able to make the team anyway). Haden is a cover corner who is also able to come up and hit someone in the mouth the way that we like our corners to do, so he seems like the kind of guy we'd be all over.