PDA

View Full Version : Daunte?

Chadman
03-23-2010, 06:24 PM
With the possibility of problems with Ben coming for this season, does anyone think Daunte Culpepper might be an option as a back-up QB?

He was brought in to work out the same time Leftwich was- but from memory was asking for a shot at starting & therefore was passed over by Byron.

Now Daunte is free again, and there might be a need. Is he an upgrade over Batch?

If Leftwich isn't released in Tampa- is Daunte a genuine option?

Could he even start if things go South for Ben?

SidSmythe
03-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I would take Dennis Dixon over Daunte Culpooper anyday of the week. Culpooper isn't going to win games for you, so you might as well develop a young prospect if the need arises.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Daunte at this stage of his career is truly terrible.

Chadman
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
He's also played on some truly terrible teams. Dixon would be option #1, but Chadman thinks that if Ben is in the poo, that Daunte isn't the absolute worst option as a back-up, if Dixon doesn't elevate his game.

SteelBucks
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd rather keep Batch than Culpepper.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
He's also played on some truly terrible teams. Dixon would be option #1, but Chadman thinks that if Ben is in the poo, that Daunte isn't the absolute worst option as a back-up, if Dixon doesn't elevate his game.

Leftwich already knows the offensive system, I think the Steelers would feel more comfortable bringing Lefty back to compete with Dixon while Batch competes with a rookie for the #3 spot.

Shawn
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Lefty>Culpepper>>>>>Batch

ghettoscott
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
RANDLE EL!!!!

The SPIRAL from SB XL still makes me smile. :Beer

he could probably hit a few open receivers, or run for the yardage. Obviously this isnt my choice for starting QB and i do think Ben will be okay....just sayin.....

feltdizz
03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Dennis Dixon>Lefty.. Leftwich looked horrible in Tampa... I know Tampa is ehhh but he was missing wide open WR's by a mile. Lefty knows the offense but if he had to go for 2 or 3 games it would be a nightmare.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Leftwich already knows the offensive system, I think the Steelers would feel more comfortable bringing Lefty back to compete with Dixon while Batch competes with a rookie for the #3 spot.

You want to bring 5 QB's to camp?

How about Lefty competes with Dixon? Whichever one wins is #2. Whichever one loses is #3. Done. Forget Batch and a rookie (well, maybe a UDFA QB rookie as a camp arm, but that's it).

BradshawsHairdresser
03-23-2010, 11:56 PM
...After the latest Ben incident NO WAY will the Rooneys bring in boat party Culpepper.

Just sayin'.

papillon
03-24-2010, 09:58 AM
The Steeler season rests entirely on Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders whether he's charged with a crime or not. If he's exonerated and he plays the Steelers have a great chance at making the playoffs and winning another Super Bowl. If he's suspended for any substantial length of time the Steelers are not contenders and they may as well begin to groom Dixon to be the quarterback.

He may or may not be the answer to the Steelers at quarterback should Ben be unavailable we have no way of knowing. Leftwich and Culpepper would only be stop gap measures while the Steelers search for the quarterback of the future. If anything tragic happens in the Ben assault cases the Steelers will need to pick up the pieces and move forward. I don't believe Leftwich or Culpepper are the answer there.

Pappy

SteelAbility
03-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Culpepper was exposed once he lost Randy Moss, who can make just about any QB look good. Now he's old and his running game, which USED to help his passing game some, isn't really there any more. Lefty and Dixon in my book (but not necessarily in that order).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I like Batch but he hasn't shown durability to make it through an entire game. It is time for him to move into the coaching ranks. They could use a vet if Ben is suspended and I believe it will be addressed if it does happen. I also believe both Leftwich & Bulger will be available after the draft. I don't expect the Steelers to make any moves until after the draft.

NW Steeler
03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Culpepper would get sacked 80 times behind our line.