PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy to visit Browns

PSU_dropout43
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... sit-browns (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/10831/source-colt-mccoy-to-visit-browns)

Source: Colt McCoy to visit Browns
by James Walker

Recently Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren said the team probably won’t draft a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick. But every quarterback after the first round certainly is fair game.

According to a league source, the Browns are interested in University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy. Cleveland will bring McCoy in for a two-day visit on April 12-13, the source told the AFC North blog.

After trading former starter Brady Quinn to the Denver Broncos and releasing former Pro Bowler Derek Anderson, Cleveland is searching for its future quarterback. McCoy, a projected second-round pick, led the Longhorns with 3,521 passing yards and 27 touchdowns last season. He had a quarterback rating of 147.41.

The Browns signed veteran Jake Delhomme to a two-year contract during the offseason and traded for career backup Seneca Wallace. Delhomme, 35, is expected to be the starter in 2010 but is not Cleveland's long-term solution.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/10831/source-colt-mccoy-to-visit-browns

Source: Colt McCoy to visit Browns
by James Walker

Recently Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren said the team probably won’t draft a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick. But every quarterback after the first round certainly is fair game.

According to a league source, the Browns are interested in University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy. Cleveland will bring McCoy in for a two-day visit on April 12-13, the source told the AFC North blog.

After trading former starter Brady Quinn to the Denver Broncos and releasing former Pro Bowler Derek Anderson, Cleveland is searching for its future quarterback. McCoy, a projected second-round pick, led the Longhorns with 3,521 passing yards and 27 touchdowns last season. He had a quarterback rating of 147.41.

The Browns signed veteran Jake Delhomme to a two-year contract during the offseason and traded for career backup Seneca Wallace. Delhomme, 35, is expected to be the starter in 2010 but is not Cleveland's long-term solution.

makes sense to me, Holmgren is too smart to think Wallace or Delhomme are the long-term answers at QB.

besides, Colt McCoy is used to wearing burnt-orange...that's near Brown in the color spectrum, isn't it?

Shawn
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I believe McCoy will be a good QB. Maybe never great but certainly solid.

aggiebones
03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
He's a vagina in a uniform.
I hope the Browns take him.

Oviedo
03-24-2010, 11:35 AM

IMO, Colt McCoy will be the most successful of the top 3 (add Bradford and Clausen) QBs in this draft.

fordfixer
03-25-2010, 02:23 AM

IMO, Colt McCoy will be the most successful of the top 3 (add Bradford and Clausen) QBs in this draft.

Even if he play's for the Browns? :lol: :lol:

DHSF
03-25-2010, 04:07 AM
Delhomme is not their long-term solution. No kidding? :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I think, if the Rams pull off the reported trade for McNabb (giving up the 33rd overall pick and O.J. Atogwe), then St. Louis would pick N. Suh #1 instead of S. Bradford, as is being widely reported now. If the Lions then take G. McCoy #2, then Tampa wants out of the #3 spot. Cleveland could then move up to the #3 spot ahead to Washington to take Bradford. It would take their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks (7=1500 pts., 39=510 pts., 71=235 pts.; that is 2245 pts. The Bucs' #3 pick is worth 2200 pts.).

The Browns would still have 2 other 3rd round picks (from the Raiders for K. Wimbley and from the Jets for B. Edwards), so such a trade-up would not cripple them. Holmgren said that he is not all that impressed with how Clausen would fit in his system, but he hasn't said anything at all about Bradford yet...they might really covet him.

However, if the Rams took Suh #1 and the Lions opted for R. Okung instead of G. McCoy, then Tampa wouldn't trade...they'd just take G. McCoy, since that fills a major need for them with an elite prospect. Then Washington would get Bradford, and Cleveland wouldn't have a chance to trade up.

Sugar
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
IMO, the Browns are more than simply a QB away. They have what appears to be a long-term overhaul on their hands and they HAVE to get better on D.

AngryAsian
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

You maybe right on with that assertion. I think what we have seen from the likes of Drew Brees, is that being 6-1 and smart can still be assets in the position of QB. My only question is that, does McCoy have the arm strength and precision... something that Brees has in excess. But in the past, I have often shared Aggiebones opinion.... Mangina in cleats.

frankthetank1
03-26-2010, 11:02 AM

i also think McCoy is better than bradford and clausen but what does that really say? i doubt clausen and bradford will be good qb's in nfl. i think clausen is so over rated. i thought brady quinn was better at ND. clausen had one big year and that was it.

flippy
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
If the Browns draft the right QB, we'll have a rivalry again real quick.

aggiebones
03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I see Clauson and McCoy having similar mental makeups with Clauson having a giant arm in comparison of the two.

Bradford has such a better mental makeup that he will end up succeeding far over the other 2. Clauson will get a shot and will stumble around for a bit. I doubt McCoy ever even gets much of a shot.

The Man of Steel
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Who was the last Big 12 QB to have a stellar NFL career? I can't think of any, unless of course you'd want to go out on a limb and say Vince Young. Hell, the MAC produces better NFL QB prospects than the Big 12 does.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
If the Browns draft the right QB, we'll have a rivalry again real quick.

Browns will spend time with Bradford too

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 26, 2010

The Browns don't want to play favorites, so it's no surprise to hear that they will spend some quality time with quarterback Sam Bradford next month, according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

Florio reported earlier Friday that the Browns will meet with Jimmy Clausen, and the team also has a visit with Colt McCoy scheduled. They also plan to talk with Tony Pike.

Based on all that information, look for Tim Tebow to wind up in Cleveland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... dford-too/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/browns-will-spend-time-with-bradford-too/)

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
2010 draft quarterback rankings

Posted by Evan Silva on March 26, 2010 5:13 PM ET
1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma.

Highly intelligent (first-team Academic All-Big Twelve, 36 Wonderlic score), accurate and athletic, Bradford is a cinch pick for Rams G.M. Billy Devaney.

Draft Prediction: Rams, No. 1 overall.

2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame.

He improved as rapidly as any college passer between the 2007 and 2009 seasons, but Clausen's stock is haunted by question marks about his leadership skills and a sense of entitlement.

Draft Prediction: Vikings, No. 30 overall.

3. John Skelton, Fordham.

6-foot-5, 243 with a cannon, Skelton delivers the football powerfully from an array of release points but lacks polish and carries level-of-competition concerns coming from the non-scholarship D-IAA ranks.

Draft Prediction: Cardinals, No. 89 overall.

4. Colt McCoy, Texas.

A four-year starter with a 45-7 record, the 2009 Big Twelve Offensive Player of the Year possesses less than adequate arm strength and comes from a Texas Tech-style spread offense.

Draft Prediction: Browns, No. 38 overall.

5. Tony Pike, Cincinnati.

Pike is injury prone, played at a rail thin 6-foot-6 and 212 pounds, and struggles to make throws outside the numbers, but led the Bearcats to an undefeated regular season in 2009.

Draft Prediction: Bills, No. 108 overall.

6. Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee.

A bust as the No. 3 overall QB recruit in '05 -- behind Ryan Perrilloux and Mark Sanchez -- Crompton finally realized his promise in Lane Kiffin's pro-style offense last season.

Draft Prediction: Panthers, No. 203 overall.

7. Tim Tebow, Florida.

Tebow received little schooling on the fundamentals of drop-back passing from Urban Meyer, but remained highly productive as a three-year starter and exhibited the ability to learn quickly by impressing with a revamped throwing motion at the Gators' March 17 Pro Day.

Draft Prediction: Colts, No. 63 overall.

8. Jarrett Brown, West Virginia.

A misfit for West Virginia's read-option spread offense, Brown is a pro-style passer -- not a run-first, option quarterback like predecessor Pat White -- and proved it as one of the Senior Bowl's premier signal callers.

Draft Prediction: Jaguars, No. 109 overall.

9. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss.

Snead would be a top-ten pick if only arm strength mattered, but he regressed badly as a junior after an excellent sophomore season yet still declared for the draft early.

Draft Prediction: Bengals, No. 153 overall.

10. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan.

LeFevour went just 7-11 against non-MAC teams in his college career, played almost strictly from the shotgun, and exhibited the physical skill set of a late-round quarterback at the Chippewas' March 24 Pro Day.

Draft Prediction: Packers, No. 123 overall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -rankings/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/2010-draft-quarterback-rankings/)

frankthetank1
03-27-2010, 06:02 PM
that guy skelton went to fordham?? wow i didnt even know fordham had football. thats too big of a jump. i know steve mcnair went to alcorn st or something and flacco played at delaware but fordham?? wagner and hofstra when they had football were both much better than fordham and that is saying a lot.