PDA

View Full Version : For all the CJ Spiller pot stirrers!!!

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
From Jim Wexell!

MONDAY, MARCH 22

10 a.m.: Just to clean up some info that crossed my desk Sunday, the Steelers showed up in force at the Virginia Tech Pro Day last week and were closely watching offensive tackle Ed Wang. You may remember Wang from Senior Bowl week as the guy who made a folk hero out of Brandon Graham.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about Graham, but I had to put an asterisk next to his Senior Bowl practice footage because I did not respect his daily competition, which included Wang.

The O-lineman I like as a sleeper from Virginia Tech is LG Sergio Render, but we all know how the Steelers like to push any LT up their draft board. At this point I wouldn't draft Wang until the sixth round, and only if Render's off the board.

Also at Tech, according to Scout's Chris Steuber, the Steelers gave plenty of attention to king-sized FS Kam Chancellor, whom I believe is too big, too leggy, too lacking in agility and coverage skills to draft at all. I wrote back to Steuber that the Steelers -- Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, Sean Kugler -- were probably looking at these guys to shield their interest in Jason Worilds, my favorite second-round DE/OLB. Worilds reportedly ran a sub 4.5 40, prompting reader SteelerBill to slap him with a new nickname: "All Worilds." And, Bill, I'll be taking charge (and ownership) of this nickname from here on out, although I kind of doubt he'll be available at pick 52.

* Something else to report: I received my second email from a Clemson observer and it sounds like the Steelers are monitoring RB C.J. Spiller pretty closely. The Steelers need another running back, and Spiller can run inside, outside, catch passes, pass block, and return kicks, but I'm of the belief the team should find their second back in the third round. However, I wouldn't quibble if they drafted Spiller. It IS all about the haul, not filling immediate needs, and Spiller should become a star in the league.

* Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette is at the Owners' Meetings and filed this report after talking with Colbert, who reaffirmed his pre-Milledgeville statement that the Steelers would not draft a quarterback in the first round -- only Colbert here goes on to say they're not looking to draft a quarterback at all. "We can add depth anywhere, except save the quarterback," Colbert said. "That position appears to be set."

Of course, the Steelers are looking at late-round QB prospects such as Tyler Sheehan of Bowling Green and Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State. Perhaps they're hoping to sign one after the draft, but after re-watching Sheehan's bowl game the other night I have to believe he'll be drafted by someone before the draft ends. I'd like the Steelers to perhaps use one of their compensation picks for Sheehan.

* Speaking of which, compensation picks will be awarded Tuesday and the Steelers should receive a pair of fifths and a seven

Chadman
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Chadman would believe it about Worilds, and also Wang. Wang is very athletic- the Steelers could view him as a project of sorts.

Worilds is certainly on the radar- just a matter of him being available.

As for Spiller- interesting....

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I hate to say it but with Ben's legal problems the run game becomes even more important. Spiller might actually be a real consideration!!!!

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
drafting Ed Wang would get Willie Gay quite excited...

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Ed Wang sux Wang!!!!

LordVile
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
i'd like either SPILLER or GERHART for rb.

Oviedo
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Just been saying...

Spiller would be a great Round 1 even if we had to go up to get him.

Shawn
03-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Chadman would believe it about Worilds, and also Wang. Wang is very athletic- the Steelers could view him as a project of sorts.

You know alot of people are growing on me. Iupati...and even Spiller. I wouldn't be jumping in the streets for either but we need a tough run blocking G and if Ben gets arrested we will HAVE to have more fire power on O. Spiller would bring that.

As for Wang...it's hard to fault the guy for being dominated by the best pass rusher in the country (yes I believe that).

Shawn
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I hate to say it but with Ben's legal problems the run game becomes even more important. Spiller might actually be a real consideration!!!!

Just my thinking as well. Wouldn't it be a trip if the Steelers drafted Spiller and Blount?

Discipline of Steel
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM

I knew a guy in college named Ed Dick. We called him Dick Ed.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 01:44 AM
i'd like either SPILLER or GERHART for rb.

Gerhart got the highest score among RBs, Spiller got a very underwhelming score of 10.

Stanford standout scores a 30 on the infamous exam.

MARCH 15, 2010

It looks like that Stanford education is already starting to pay dividends for running back Toby Gerhart.

The Heisman Trophy finalist—who led the country in rushing yards (1,871) and touchdowns (28) in 2009—brought home the top score in the Wonderlic exam among this year’s running back class with a 30, according to a league source.

The Wonderlic test is a 12-minute, 50 question exam aimed at evaluating a prospect’s problem-solving abilities.

There has been much debate (especially from our readers) as to whether or not the test has any real significance in determining how a college football player will perform at the next level.

Some of the other top performers among the running backs include BYU’s Manase Tonga (29), LSU’s Charles Scott (26), Tennessee’s Montario Hardesty (25), Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon (25) and North Dakota State’s Pat Paschall (25).

Rounding out the bottom of the class was Clemson’s C.J. Spiller, who scored a 10.

Other Notable Scores

Jahvid Best (California): 24
LeGarrette Blount (Oregon): 16
Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech): 17
Ryan Mathews (Fresno State): 16
Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss): 18

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Just been saying...

At first glance O, you would say the Steelers biggest needs are CB, C/G, & RB...On Paper. However, we as fans have no idea what they think of Lewis & Burnett or where they see Urbik fitting in. We also don't know if they feel Legursky is the C of the future. Add in the signing of their own FA, the uncharacteristic FA signing frenzy of depth players, and the uncertainty of Ben's immediate future playing time....I don't think we can argue any pick in the 1st.

The guys on Sirius last night at the owners meetings feel very strongly that there is more than a "shake of the finger" coming in the Assault case. It is a big subject of discussion between owners and it doesn't look like Ben will come out of this with just "allegations". He might miss time due to a suspension by the commisioner even if no charges are filled...And that is the best case scenario. It will be interesting to see if the Rooney's value there investment or integrity if Ben is charged. Some say if Ben is charged...He will be shown the door. I think it is certain that Ben will miss some time no matter what the outcome is. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of these 3 QBs added after the draft...Batch, Leftwich, or Bulger. I believe Leftwich & Bulger will be released after the draft at some point.

If Haden & T Williams were gone, I wanted Spoon. Spoon no longer makes sense. Thomas makes sense and maybe he is there. But I will tell you what....If you sit back and take it all in....You can make a case for Spiller as much as any player on the board. It has been difficult to figure out this offseason with the uncharacteristic FA activity of the Steelers. If you want to say it was done so they could package picks to move up to get a player...That makes sense. But maybe there is another possibilty. Battle & EL for ST and the uncertainty of Sweed...I see that. Defense...Retain 30ish Hampton & Clark...Add Allen & Foote...Didn't leave too many holes for early round players. Maybe at DB, but for the most part, players added through the draft will have some time before a vet moves out of their way. That being said, is all of this an indication that the Steelers intend to target Spiller to compliment Mendenhall & aid DIXON? The best friend of a young QB is a running game that threatens the length of the field. The best friend of a young QB in the passing game is a productive TE and RBs who can catch coming out of the backfield off of playaction. The Spiller pick is growing legs in my book.

Oviedo
03-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Just been saying...

At first glance O, you would say the Steelers biggest needs are CB, C/G, & RB...On Paper. However, we as fans have no idea what they think of Lewis & Burnett or where they see Urbik fitting in. We also don't know if they feel Legursky is the C of the future. Add in the signing of their own FA, the uncharacteristic FA signing frenzy of depth players, and the uncertainty of Ben's immediate future playing time....I don't think we can argue any pick in the 1st.

The guys on Sirius last night at the owners meetings feel very strongly that there is more than a "shake of the finger" coming in the Assault case. It is a big subject of discussion between owners and it doesn't look like Ben will come out of this with just "allegations". He might miss time due to a suspension by the commisioner even if no charges are filled...And that is the best case scenario. It will be interesting to see if the Rooney's value there investment or integrity if Ben is charged. Some say if Ben is charged...He will be shown the door. I think it is certain that Ben will miss some time no matter what the outcome is. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of these 3 QBs added after the draft...Batch, Leftwich, or Bulger. I believe Leftwich & Bulger will be released after the draft at some point.

If Haden & T Williams were gone, I wanted Spoon. Spoon no longer makes sense. Thomas makes sense and maybe he is there. But I will tell you what....If you sit back and take it all in....You can make a case for Spiller as much as any player on the board. It has been difficult to figure out this offseason with the uncharacteristic FA activity of the Steelers. If you want to say it was done so they could package picks to move up to get a player...That makes sense. But maybe there is another possibilty. Battle & EL for ST and the uncertainty of Sweed...I see that. Defense...Retain 30ish Hampton & Clark...Add Allen & Foote...Didn't leave too many holes for early round players. Maybe at DB, but for the most part, players added through the draft will have some time before a vet moves out of their way. That being said, is all of this an indication that the Steelers intend to target Spiller to compliment Mendenhall & aid DIXON? The best friend of a young QB is a running game that threatens the length of the field. The best friend of a young QB in the passing game is a productive TE and RBs who can catch coming out of the backfield off of playaction. The Spiller pick is growing legs in my book.

Now you are thinking like an informed analyst and not reacting like a fan who looked at last season and think that drives everything going into the draft. If Spiller is still available at about #13 or #14 I could see us going up to get him. We have 10 draft picks. Ten rookies will not make this team. We can package 2-3 picks and still come away well.

papillon
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Just been saying...

Now you are thinking like an informed analyst and not reacting like a fan who looked at last season and think that drives everything going into the draft. If Spiller is still available at about #13 or #14 I could see us going up to get him. We have 10 draft picks. Ten rookies will not make this team. We can package 2-3 picks and still come away well.

This draft is too deep in talent to give away picks particularly in the first 4 rounds. If Spiller is there and he's the highest rated player on the board at 1.18 fine. There's no need to move up to draft him with the depth of this draft. It will be interesting to see what happens if Spiller and any highly rated defensive player are available, i.e. Thomas, Odrick, Spoon, etc. who the Steelers will select.

What does anyone know about the running back from Fresno State, Ryan Matthews? He's 6'1" and goes about 220 with a 4.37 time in the 40, 19 reps and 36 inch vertical.

Pappy

Chadman
03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Adding Spiller provides a quick, shifty runner to the RB mix. With Parker gone, there is an opening in that role.

Of course, Mendenhall is no slouch- and even with "Fast" Willie Parker, the Steelers lamented the lack of consistancy in the run game.

Spiller is most likely a better RB than Parker, given the same amount of experience.

But Chadman wonders if the lack of a true 'power back' is of greater 'need' than the shifty Spiller? Charles Scott anyone?

Also, not to harp on about it ( :D ) but there are other ways to improve your running game....

Like adding a dominant run blocking OG...

Just saying.. :stirpot

Lebsteel
03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Adding Spiller provides a quick, shifty runner to the RB mix. With Parker gone, there is an opening in that role.

Of course, Mendenhall is no slouch- and even with "Fast" Willie Parker, the Steelers lamented the lack of consistancy in the run game.

Spiller is most likely a better RB than Parker, given the same amount of experience.

But Chadman wonders if the lack of a true 'power back' is of greater 'need' than the shifty Spiller? Charles Scott anyone?

Also, not to harp on about it ( :D ) but there are other ways to improve your running game....

Chadman, I think you spell his name URBIK!! :stirpot

BradshawsHairdresser
03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
[quote="hawaiiansteel"]

Rounding out the bottom of the class was Clemson’s C.J. Spiller, who scored a 10.

:shock:
I think if you can sign your name, you get a 10.

Gerhart is the better pick for us...He will fill our need, using a lower pick.

Chadman
03-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Oh- you misunderstood- Chadman said DOMINANT, not DORMANT. :D

You know- Dominant like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yykGss3S ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yykGss3SMEw&feature=related) ... and this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvfRhT ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvfRhTruw&feature=related)

You know- hopefully Kraig Urbik isn't a wasted pick & can become a starter, thus negating the need for Iupati & the ability to draft a better skill player.

But Chadman has doubts as to that happening.

ikestops85
03-23-2010, 10:24 AM

I think we already have the quick shifty RB ... his name is Logan. Arians refused to get him the ball so what makes everyone think Spiller would be any different if we drafted him? We have other spots to fill with our #1 pick without adding a weapon in the offensive arsenal that's not going to be used.

I do agree that we need to add a power back in the later rounds and from what others are saying Gerhart sounds good.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM

You must not read many of my posts. All of my posts/mocks were written from conclusions reached from information available to us all. I opposed your prediction of Spiller for a long time. My choices in my mocks wasn't based upon being a fan who looked at last season. If that was the case, I would have actually been for Spiller from Day 1. I wasn't one infatuated with Spiller because of a stop watch and looking for a sexy pick. I was making choices that would help the Steelers long term based on deficiencies. RB's don't tend to do that and the Steelers already have a 1st round invested in that position. If the Steelers were not active in free agency and there wasn't a pending situation with Ben...I still would say Spiller would be a ridiculous pick given the state of the Steelers. The fact that depth has been addressed via free agency, players retained, and the increasing chances the Ben will not be playing in the beginning of the season if at all....Leads me to believe that Spiller "Could" be on the radar. The Steelers will need to take as much pressure as possible off of Dixon until Ben's return....If he even does return. The reports out of the coaches meetings are the sole reason I belive Spiller could be a slection. The Steelers will need a fresh...Deep stable of RB's going into this season. This team might begin to look like the Jets & Titans early on.

Oviedo
03-23-2010, 10:56 AM

You must not read many of my posts. All of my posts/mocks were written from conclusions reached from information available to us all. I opposed your prediction of Spiller for a long time. My choices in my mocks wasn't based upon being a fan who looked at last season. If that was the case, I would have actually been for Spiller from Day 1. I wasn't one infatuated with Spiller because of a stop watch and looking for a sexy pick. I was making choices that would help the Steelers long term based on deficiencies. RB's don't tend to do that and the Steelers already have a 1st round invested in that position. If the Steelers were not active in free agency and there wasn't a pending situation with Ben...I still would say Spiller would be a ridiculous pick given the state of the Steelers. The fact that depth has been addressed via free agency, players retained, and the increasing chances the Ben will not be playing in the beginning of the season if at all....Leads me to believe that Spiller "Could" be on the radar. The Steelers will need to take as much pressure as possible off of Dixon until Ben's return....If he even does return. The reports out of the coaches meetings are the sole reason I belive Spiller could be a slection. The Steelers will need a fresh...Deep stable of RB's going into this season. This team might begin to look like the Jets & Titans early on.

Not worried about how you got to the right answer just that you are moving in that difrection and keeping your mind open to the possibility that we get an impact player like Spiller. Personally, I think he will be gone and we are going OL (which I wouldn't do) but my point all along has been that Spiller would provide the biggest immediate bang for the buck filling three roles: runner, receiver and returner. That is value.

I complimented you because you are at least thinking through the process that leads to Spiller being a legit option. If by complementing your wisdom I somehow offended you I do apologize.
:wink:

steelblood
03-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Ever watched Ed Wang play against a good DE? It isn't pretty.

pfelix73
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
We already have 2 and even 3 dominant run blocking OG's. What is needed is a freaking FB to go along with the OL we have now. There are too many OG's on this team now, so picking up another especially in round 1 is just non sense- IMO. Same goes for another RB. But, hey I'm not the professional analyst on here so what do I know?

:tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Not worried about how you got to the right answer just that you are moving in that difrection and keeping your mind open to the possibility that we get an impact player like Spiller. Personally, I think he will be gone and we are going OL (which I wouldn't do) but my point all along has been that Spiller would provide the biggest immediate bang for the buck filling three roles: runner, receiver and returner. That is value.

I complimented you because you are at least thinking through the process that leads to Spiller being a legit option. If by complementing your wisdom I somehow offended you I do apologize.

Not offended. Just picked up on your sarcasm...I think. Kind of like where you said "how you got to the right answer" and then you say "keeping your mind open". Don't know if that is sarcasm or you being hypocritical.

Lebsteel
03-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Oh- you misunderstood- Chadman said DOMINANT, not DORMANT. :D

You know- Dominant like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yykGss3S ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yykGss3SMEw&feature=related) ... and this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvfRhT ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvfRhTruw&feature=related)

You know- hopefully Kraig Urbik isn't a wasted pick & can become a starter, thus negating the need for Iupati & the ability to draft a better skill player.

But Chadman has doubts as to that happening.
Ha! Very funny! :lol: :lol: Totally agree on Urbik. That is why I am holding out on the Iupati pick.

Chadman
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
. We already have 2 and even 3 dominant run blocking OG's What is needed is a freaking FB to go along with the OL we have now. There are too many OG's on this team now, so picking up another especially in round 1 is just non sense- IMO. Same goes for another RB. But, hey I'm not the professional analyst on here so what do I know?

:tt1

2 or 3 DOMINANT OG's???

Ok, Kemo is one....who the hell are the others?

Yes- there are a lot of BODIES at OG, but Trai Essex cannot be considered 'dominant'- heck, he is a fringe starter. Urbik was surpassed by not 1, but 2 undrafted players, neither of them specialist OG's to replace the injured Kemo last season. Foster, one of the undrafted players to surpass Urbik, was also a rookie, so you can't argue the "Urbik is a rookie" line. Foster was adequate, but hardly a set in stone answer at OG.

There is only 1 somewhat 'dominant' OG on the roster. And if you don't believe Chadman, ask yourself this question- when both the Rooneys & Tomlin lament the inability to convert a 3rd & short with the running game- a running game the boasts a 220 + lbs 1st round RB, and feel they are in fact better served going with the empty backfield set on 3rd & short, do you feel the blocking in front of the RB's is even 'adequate', let alone 'dominant'? You might want to insert a FB, but the FB doesn't fit the Arians Offense, and there are other teams that run successful singleback running games. Why can't the Steelers?

NJ-STEELER
03-23-2010, 12:43 PM
with the way our OL plays.

i think adrian peterson would struggle at times back there

Shawn
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
But what people are forgetting is the fact that Mendenhall ran for 4.7 yards per carry last season...behind our current talent. Where the Steelers struggled was running in the red zone. Spiller is not going to help that. We need better interior blocking in the red zone...and it would be nice to have a good blocking full back. Check out my mock for a late round pancake blocking FB...old school knock em out FB with great vision and known for his power blocking.

Oviedo
03-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Not offended. Just picked up on your sarcasm...I think. Kind of like where you said "how you got to the right answer" and then you say "keeping your mind open". Don't know if that is sarcasm or you being hypocritical.

I was seriously complementing you on taking a systematic view of the move that have been made and the reduction of needs that resulted and therefore the new directions we are free to look at to get the best player available.

Discipline of Steel
03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
But what people are forgetting is the fact that Mendenhall ran for 4.7 yards per carry last season...behind our current talent. Where the Steelers struggled was running in the red zone. Spiller is not going to help that. We need better interior blocking in the red zone...and it would be nice to have a good blocking full back. Check out my mock for a late round pancake blocking FB...old school knock em out FB with great vision and known for his power blocking.

:Agree
No to Spiller in favor of depth on defense. Gerhardt or true FB in later rounds.

SteelAbility
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm in favor of drafting Spiller if he's the best available when it comes to the Steelers. It gives two reasonable and favorable options.

1. Put him out as trade bait to get either one good young defensive player plus a draft pick or two reasonably young defensive players.

2. If option 1 doesn't work, then keep him. I hear he's pretty good. ;)