PDA

View Full Version : Who Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Target in Round One?

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
interesting that there is no mention of Earl Thomas...

2010 NFL Draft: Who Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Target in Round One?

by Brian Carson Correspondent

The Pittsburgh Steelers were surprisingly busy little bees during the first wave of free agency.

Kevin Colbert, Steelers director of football operations, shelled out over $63 million dollars in contracts to lock up eight players.

Unusual to say the least for the normally free agent shy franchise.

The moves were solid and addressed various needs.

Bringing back Ryan Clark and signing Will Allen from Tampa Bay strengthens the safety position. Add to that a guy named Polamalu coming back healthy, and safety is no longer a deep concern.

All-Pro NT Casey Hampton was re-upped and kicker Jeff Reed was given the franchise tag to stay with the black and gold.

The biggest free agent signing was the return of ILB Larry Foote. Pittsburgh missed his aggressiveness and run stuffing ability in the middle.

He's returned from his exile in Detroit and will battle Lawrence Timmons for the starting job.

No matter what happens in that battle, the Steelers have the best linebacker depth in the NFL with Timmons, Foote, James Farrior, James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, and Keyaron Fox.

The wide receiver position was strengthened with fan-favorite Antwaan Randle-El returning, and the signing of Arnaz Battle from the 49ers.

Did you get the message Limas Sweed?

With the first wave of free agency over, Colbert and company now turn their attention to the NFL Draft.

Do they draft for need or take the best player available?

The Steelers need help at offensive line, defensive line and corner, but if a Rolando McClain or Taylor Mays is available—will Pittsburgh pull the trigger?

Here's a look at some of the players the Steelers may target in the first round.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

The 6'5", 332-pound Iupati is the best interior offensive lineman in the draft.

The three-year starter was a two-time All-WAC selection who plays with a mean streak and is a nasty, devastating run blocker. He was clearly the best lineman at the Senior Bowl and cemented his draft stock with a strong performance at the NFL Combine.
Once considered a second or third-round selection, Iupati is a solid first-round pick.
The Steelers need help at offensive line after surrendering 50 or more sacks for the second straight year.

Iupati can come in and is NFL-ready as a run blocker, but he'll need some work with his pass blocking. He was never in a three-point stance in college because the Vandals ran the spread.

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

All the guy does is make plays.

Weatherspoon is a versatile, high-motor linebacker who can play inside or outside. He could thrive in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme and because of that, his draft stock is rising fast.

He led the Big 12 Conference in tackles (11 per game), as well as being a Butkus Award Finalist and unanimous first team All-Big 12 selection. His 155 tackles this season were the second most in Missouri history. He was also a four-year starter for the Tigers.

He's a high motor guy who plays sideline-to-sideline. His three interceptions and team-leading seven pass breakups shows he can play the pass as equally effectively as the run.

The Steelers brought back Larry Foote and are deep at linebacker, but age is starting to set in at the position and Weatherspoon is a Saint LeBeau type of player.

Jared Odrick, DE-DT, Penn State

Defensive line is a need for the Steelers and versatility is the main reason Odrick is so appealing for many NFL clubs.

Odrick is a team leader who was named 2009 Big Ten defensive player and defensive lineman of the year. His strength is that versatility, which could serve him as a tackle in a four-man line or even at nose tackle in a 3-4.

His 6'5", 304-pound frame is perfect for a 3-4 end and he has the frame to gain more weight if need be.

He's big and strong and has good hand technique to shed blockers. Odrick is steadily improving and can only get better with experience and solid coaching.

Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

Davis is considered by some scouts to be the best tackle in the draft.

The 6'5", 323-pounder can play both tackle and guard positions, but his stock has fallen some after a so-so performance at the scouting combine and missing his pro day workout due to illness.

Davis will workout again for the pros on March 30, and if he can impress, he should move back up the draft boards.

Solid left tackles aren't easy to find. With the Steelers offensive line a weak spot, Davis could be the pick if he has a good pro day workout.

Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

McClain was the leader of Alabama's powerful defense and clearly is the best linebacker in this year's draft.

A three-year starter and the 2009 Butkus Award winner, McClain is an athletic, sideline-to-sideline force who's motor never stops running.

He has nice size (6'4", 249-pounds) and decent speed (4.68 in the forty). He can play either outside or inside but in the middle is where he shines.

McClain is better in a 3-4 defense where he can roam the field behind a big nose tackle.
Like Mays, McClain should be gone before the Steelers pick, but if he's still there, Colbert would have a tough decision on his hands.

Taylor Mays, FS, USC

Mays, a four-year starter at USC, is a freak of nature.

I mean that in a good way.

He has that rare combination of size (6'3", 230-pounds), speed (4.32 in the forty), and strength (24 reps in the bench).

Mays is a banger. He loves to make the crushing hits and that's where he can get into trouble.

He's best used as a centerfield defensive back because he's good when the play is in front of him. Up close, he sometimes takes bad angles and misses tackles.

Mays has all the athletic ability to be a star in the NFL and will most likely be gone when the Steelers pick.

If for some strange reason he's still available, don't be surprised if Colbert pulls the trigger and brings another Trojan alum to the Pittsburgh secondary.

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

The Steelers' secondary was woefully inadequate in 2009.

Losing Troy Polamalu had a lot to do with it, but all of the secondary, especially the corners, underperformed last season. That's why the front office and coaching staff should look long and hard at this Boise State product.

Wilson was a four-year starter for the Broncos, so he knows how to play in big games.
He rolled up impressive numbers during his senior campaign (five interceptions, 10 pass breakups, and 15 passes defended) on his way to All-WAC honors. In addition, his 14.2 yards per punt return was the best in the conference.

Has has decent size (5'10", 190-pounds), nice wheels (4.42 in the forty), and surprising strength (25 bench reps).

Wilson is the number two corner in this draft behind Florida's Joe Haden, but he may be more valuable because of his special teams ability.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama

A first-team All-SEC selection by the Associated Press and league coaches, a consensus first-team All-American who anchored the No. 2 rush defense (74.1 yards per game) and the No. 3 total defense (263.5 yards per game) in the country, and a Chuck Bednarik Award semifinalist.

Cody is a space eater, sometimes taking on two or even three blockers at a time.
He's a clone of Casey Hampton and just like Casey when he came out of college, scouts are concerned about his weight and how many plays he can be in during a game.
Cody answered some of his critics by slimming down to 349 pounds for his Pro Day workout. He was 370 after Alabama's season ended and 356 at the combine.

"Mount Cody" is the best nose tackle in this draft. Despite that, he still may fall into the second round because of the weight issues. As far as his ability on the field, there are zero question marks there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3669 ... one#page/1 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/366998-2010-nfl-draft-who-will-the-pittsburgh-steelers-target-in-round-one#page/1)

steelblood
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Why is it interesting that Earl Thomas is not mentioned? This is an article from the bleacher report.

NW Steeler
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I have a feeling that the choice may be easier than we think. Weatherspoon, McClain, and Thomas could all be gone by the time we pick. The RIGHT side of our OL is weak. If the Steelers like Iupati under this scenario, it is a no brainer.

Oops, I knew that but thanks for catching me...fixed that for ya.

Lebsteel
03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
I have a feeling that the choice may be easier than we think. Weatherspoon, McClain, and Thomas could all be gone byt he time we pick. The left side of our OL is weak. If the Steelers like Iupati under this scenario, it is a no brainer.
NO....don't encourage Chadman :wink: Besides our left side is Starks and Kemo. We have large, long-term contracts on both of them. Did the Steelers make a mistake in giving Kemo a contract? Maybe. Would he move to the right side? Then the Steelers made a mistake in drafting a useless Urbik with their 2nd pick last year. Somewhere a mistake was made if we draft Iupati in Rd. 1. Totally different story if we draft a CB since there is at times 3 CBs needed on the field at the same time and Ike's contract is up soon.

Chadman
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Too late... :D

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a feeling that the choice may be easier than we think. Weatherspoon, McClain, and Thomas could all be gone byt he time we pick. The left side of our OL is weak. If the Steelers like Iupati under this scenario, it is a no brainer.
NO....don't encourage Chadman :wink: Besides our left side is Starks and Kemo. We have large, long-term contracts on both of them. Did the Steelers make a mistake in giving Kemo a contract? Maybe. Would he move to the right side? Then the Steelers made a mistake in drafting a useless Urbik with their 2nd pick last year. Somewhere a mistake was made if we draft Iupati in Rd. 1. Totally different story if we draft a CB since there is at times 3 CBs needed on the field at the same time and Ike's contract is up soon.

i have heard rumors of Urbik possibly moving to center, don't know if those rumors are as accurate as Colon moving to guard or not.

it's too early to give up on Urbik, but early indications don't look promising. two UDFAs (Legursky and Foster) were used before Urbik when we had injuries last year.

Oviedo
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
It is neither interesting nor surprising to anyone who is actually paying attention. There is a huge amount of DB depth in this draft and the drop off in talent from players "subjectively ranked" as the top DBs to those ranked in Round 2 or 3 is not as great as other positions.

What that means is if you want top end talent you go for a position other than DB in Round 1.

Shawn
03-22-2010, 08:04 PM
And I want to go on record. If Ben is arrested I want a high round QB. I know I will get some hate for this but I really like Colt McCoy in the second.

steelz09
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Timmons losing his job to Foote? That's not acceptable for Timmons especially given his experience now. If he loses it to Foote then you might as well say that he could have lost it too Fox as well.

I would be a supporter of seeing Foote or Fox in on the obvious running plays until I see Timmons actually "blow up" a running play.

My problem is that Timmons has such great athleticism, coverage skills, and closing speed. However, it really pisses me off that Tomlin drafted Timmons without a plan which is exactly what he did.

He went down to FSU, fell in love with Timmons' athleticism, compared him to a guy he was familiar with, pro bowler Derick Brooks and drafted him. Timmons, a very young player without much of a track record became the #18. Everybody including the Steelers front office said he was an OLB. They started him there and it didn't work out as well as they expected. They moved him to 3-4 ILB which is one of the hardest positions to adapt too and he has struggled in some respects but also shows his incredible athleticism when he can "roam". His weakest attributes are shedding blocks and shifting through the trash on the inside. Both are KEY ATTRIBUTES of a 3-4 ILB but you can't blame him because its a completely different role than what he's used to. You don't have a guy that is suited to an OLB in a 4-3, try out ILB in a 3-4. Its so much different its ridiculous. IMO, you draft a pure 3-4 ILB. Someone that knows the position, has the strength, experience and skill set to exceed. Now, they bring back Foote, have a good backup in Fox, and might draft a 1st round ILB in Weatherspoon or McLain. Both of which may come into camp as a purely better 3-4 ILB than Timmons.

I personally don't blame Timmons and I still think hes a good player, and a REALLY good player when he can use his speed and athleticism especially on pass downs and running side line to side line. I blame Tomlin for drafting a player that REMINDED him of someone else that he was familiar with. Drafting a player without a plan in mind.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
And I want to go on record. If Ben is arrested I want a high round QB. I know I will get some hate for this but I really like Colt McCoy in the second.

I do not want to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

Ben has the best attorney money can buy, if he can get Ray-Ray off on a murder charge he can get Ben off for being stupid.

Oviedo
03-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Timmons losing his job to Foote? That's not acceptable for Timmons especially given his experience now. If he loses it to Foote then you might as well say that he could have lost it too Fox as well.

I would be a supporter of seeing Foote or Fox in on the obvious running plays until I see Timmons actually "blow up" a running play.

My problem is that Timmons has such great athleticism, coverage skills, and closing speed. However, it really pisses me off that Tomlin drafted Timmons without a plan which is exactly what he did.

He went down to FSU, fell in love with Timmons' athleticism, compared him to a guy he was familiar with, pro bowler Derick Brooks and drafted him. Timmons, a very young player without much of a track record became the #18. Everybody including the Steelers front office said he was an OLB. They started him there and it didn't work out as well as they expected. They moved him to 3-4 ILB which is one of the hardest positions to adapt too and he has struggled in some respects but also shows his incredible athleticism when he can "roam". His weakest attributes are shedding blocks and shifting through the trash on the inside. Both are KEY ATTRIBUTES of a 3-4 ILB but you can't blame him because its a completely different role than what he's used to. You don't have a guy that is suited to an OLB in a 4-3, try out ILB in a 3-4. Its so much different its ridiculous. IMO, you draft a pure 3-4 ILB. Someone that knows the position, has the strength, experience and skill set to exceed. Now, they bring back Foote, have a good backup in Fox, and might draft a 1st round ILB in Weatherspoon or McLain. Both of which may come into camp as a purely better 3-4 ILB than Timmons.

I personally don't blame Timmons and I still think hes a good player, and a REALLY good player when he can use his speed and athleticism especially on pass downs and running side line to side line. I blame Tomlin for drafting a player that REMINDED him of someone else that he was familiar with. Drafting a player without a plan in mind.

How has the defense suffered with Tinmmons as a starter? It hasn't one bit. Still one of the best versus the run but Timmons has added elements to play to the inside that Foote never could.

This ongoing criticism of a player who missed several games with injuries but was still #5 in tackles, 3rd best in sacks, 2nd best in forced fumbles, plus I think high in passes broken up is ridiculous. He had a better season than Farrior and very equal to the season that Woodley had and Woodley is being touted as a star. I guess anything less than 150 tackles in a season, 20 sacks and 10 INTs will cause many to always find Timmons lacking.

stlrz d
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Why is it interesting that Earl Thomas is not mentioned? This is an article from the bleacher report.

Enhanced that for you...since it seems to have gone unnoticed. :lol:

~~~~~

Ovie - No doubt. Not to mention there's no way Tomlin made the call on Timmons after being named head coach a mere 3 months before the 2007 draft. He may have had some input, but I'd bet both the left one AND the right one that it wasn't his call.

steelz09
03-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Anyone want to do analysis on how many of those tackles were off of pass defensed or run plays that exceed 3 yards?

If you don't think Timmons struggles shedding blocks your not watching the game very closely.... Timmons gets hung up on the inside. He doesn't take on blocks, he often runs around then. Again, not his fault but absolutely key to a 3-4 ILB.

How many of the sacks / forced fumbles were when he was stacked on the outside with Woodley or Harrison? How many were blitzes right up the middle?

Shawn
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Ben has the best attorney money can buy, if he can get Ray-Ray off on a murder charge he can get Ben off for being stupid.

I am hearing some rumors and who knows they are true. But, if they are it would certainly change the game. I have heard the girl comes from money. If that is the case...good luck Ben. You take the money grubber aspect out of this and we have a real battle on our hands. Ben will be battling for his freedom. If arrested I would suspect he will be suspended for 2010-2011. If the NFL doesn't play next season...I would also suspect Ben will have another season to dwell on his stupidity. 2 years not playing? 30 y/o? Would Ben ever be the same QB? Ehh. Guys we are in legit trouble if the arrest/rich girl rumors are true even if he is found not guilty. I guess we will know Monday.

Oviedo
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Again, how has the defense suffered? It hasn't. Here are some facts:

2009: Ranked #3/3.9 yds per att/89.9 yards per game allowed
2008: Ranked #2/3.3 yars per att/80.3 yards per game allowed

Wow, Timmons has really taken the team down the road to destruction. I think any drop off was proabably more because of Farrior than Timmons and the drop off is statistically meaningless.

BTW,

2007: Ranked #3/4.0 yds per att/89.9 yards per game allowed (Does Timmons get blamed for this too?)

Timmons has had NO NEGATIVE IMPACT playing on the inside whatsoever. He has increased pass protection and sacks from the ILB position. Reality and facts clearly prove perceptions to be inadequete or at least shaped by false preconceived prejudices or agendas.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I am hearing some rumors and who knows they are true. But, if they are it would certainly change the game. I have heard the girl comes from money. If that is the case...good luck Ben. You take the money grubber aspect out of this and we have a real battle on our hands. Ben will be battling for his freedom. If arrested I would suspect he will be suspended for 2010-2011. If the NFL doesn't play next season...I would also suspect Ben will have another season to dwell on his stupidity. 2 years not playing? 30 y/o? Would Ben ever be the same QB? Ehh. Guys we are in legit trouble if the arrest/rich girl rumors are true even if he is found not guilty. I guess we will know Monday.

if Ben is charged, Ben will then be arrested or he will turn himself in. however, Ben remains innocent until proven guilty.

i believe Ben will not be suspended for the 2010-2011 season unless he is found to be guilty.

steelz09
03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
You didn't answer my question.. you provided team tackling statistics, not Timmons'.

How many of TIMMONS tackles were after 3 yards? How many tackles were due to pass coverage?

How many of Timmons sacks / QB pressures came from the OLB position (when he's stacked with an OLB)? How many from his ACTUAL position in which he responsible for (ILB)?

Again, I just think the Steelers drafted Timmons without a clue on how to implement him fulltime. That was an after thought. Oh, he's an OLB....wait no... an ILB... wait, maybe he's an OLB.. hell, we don't know.

As a 3-4 ILB.. i would take Chad Brown, Kirkland or the Farrior of a couple years ago before Timmons.. just sayin'

As a 4-3 LB, we just don't know but I would guess he would be a Pro Bowler.

Oviedo
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
You didn't answer my question.. you provided team tackling statistics, not Timmons'.

How many of TIMMONS tackles were after 3 yards? How many tackles were due to pass coverage?

How many of Timmons sacks / QB pressures came from the OLB position (when he's stacked with an OLB)? How many from his ACTUAL position in which he responsible for (ILB)?

Again, I just think the Steelers drafted Timmons without a clue on how to implement him fulltime. That was an after thought. Oh, he's an OLB....wait no... an ILB... wait, maybe he's an OLB.. hell, we don't know.

As a 3-4 ILB.. i would take Chad Brown, Kirkland or the Farrior of a couple years ago before Timmons.. just sayin'

OK educate me. Tell me how many of his tackles were after 3 yards? Specifically? Please cite the source. Could you also quantify the percentage of those that he made the tackle pursuing laterally and making up for someone else who didn't make the tackle.

BTW Chad Brown and Levon Kirkland are retired so they don't factor into the discussion. I'd actually prefer Jack Lambert if we were engaging in a history lesson. Farrior of two years ago is not the Farrior of last year so again not part of the discussion.

steelz09
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Tell me how many of his tackles were after 3 yards? Specifically? Please cite the source.

BTW Chad Brown and Levon Kirkland are retired so they don't factor into the discussion. Farrior of two years ago is not the Farrior of last year so again not part of the discussion.

I asked you the question. Do you always answer a question with another question? :lol:

I wish I had the time to research those but I don't....but if the person makes tackles 3+ yards after the fact then who cares.. Just run the ball to his side 3 times straight and you have first downs drive after drive after drive.

And I don't know if you recall but Timmons is brought on MANY blitzes that resulted in sacks / QB hurries from the outside. Just watch last years film and you'll see. They stack Timmons with an OLB. Woodley / Harrison picks off the one guy and leaves Timmons running free or on a RB.

As far as Kirkland / Chad Brown / Farrier of approx 2 years ago. It is part of the discussion because I made it part of the discussion :) . My point is .. LB expectations are high in Pittsburgh especially if your a 1st round pick. And those 3 ILB's were better at being pure ILB's than Timmons is. Oh, and by the way .. Woodley, a 2nd round pick in the same draft is outperforming Timmons as well as UDFA Harrison. The only LB in the past several years that Timmons MAY exceed is definitely Haggans (doesn't take much), and most likely Foote. But it will be interesting next year with the Foote signing. Let's see what the coaching staff thinks... Foote / Fox in on obvious rushing downs or Timmons.

stlrz d
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Wow, Timmons has really taken the team down the road to destruction. I think any drop off was proabably more because of Farrior than Timmons and the drop off is statistically meaningless.

BTW,

2007: Ranked #3/4.0 yds per att/89.9 yards per game allowed (Does Timmons get blamed for this too?)

Timmons has had NO NEGATIVE IMPACT playing on the inside whatsoever. He has increased pass protection and sacks from the ILB position. Reality and facts clearly prove perceptions to be inadequete or at least shaped by false preconceived prejudices or agendas.

And don't forget Aaron Smith being out.

steelz09
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM

BTW,

hmmm .... Good point, Smith, one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league just happens to be on Farrior's side, not Timmons' :stirpot

stlrz d
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM

BTW,

hmmm .... Good point, Smith, one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league just happens to be on Farrior's side, not Timmons' :stirpot

It doesn't matter what side he's on.

But if you wanna play that game, Smith being out affects Farrior...which affects Timmons. ;)

steelz09
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
[quote=Oviedo]Again, how has the defense suffered? It hasn't. Here are some facts:

BTW,

It doesn't matter what side he's on.

But if you wanna play that game, Smith being out affects Farrior...which affects Timmons. ;)[/quote:2mdacd6q]

True.. true... which also allows Timmons to pad his "tackle" statistics. lol

stlrz d
03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
It's not padding if you're picking up for someone else's slack.

Talk to Ray Lewis about padding. :lol:

NJ-STEELER
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
why is ubrick considered a bust when every other lineman on our squad played just as much as him in their rookie years?

some patience, people

for God's sake

Chadman
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Umm....if you say that 4-3 OLB's can't be asked to be 3-4 ILB's- what does that say about James Farrior?

He was a 4-3 OLB at the Jets before coming to Pittsburgh....

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
why is ubrick considered a bust when every other lineman on our squad played just as much as him in their rookie years?

some patience, people

for God's sake

sorry, we don't have the time to be patient here on message boards...we live event by event, day by day around here.

we knew right away that Troy "Bustamalu" wasn't gonna cut it in the NFL, Urbik ain't gonna make it either. switch him to center already and draft a new RG!

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2010, 12:06 AM
The team had no idea what it was doing when it drafted Timmons? It is not as if James Harrison was already defensive player of the year, and Woodley already had multiple sack games in his first four playoff games when Timmons was drafted.

Joey Porter was cut the same offseason in which we drafted Timmons, and Clark Haggans was on his way out as well (he would be gone the following offseason). At that point, James Harrison's experience as a starter consisted of one single game (when Porter and William Green got into in at midfield during pre-game warmups and both were ejected before the game even started), so he essentially a complete unknown when it came to his abilities to be a full time starter. When they selected Timmons in round one, the team had no idea that LaMarr Woodley would be available when their turn came in round two. That was a bonus (to say the least).

You compare Timmons to Chad Brown, which I think is an apt comparison. Both are athletic guys who had success blitzing up the middle, and could move outside if injuries occur to our outside backers (Chad's best statistical season as a Steeler was when he moved to OLB when Greg Lloyd was injured).

I think Foote was brought in as Farrior slowing down insurance, not as any sort of threat to take Timmons' job. None of the other ILB's on this team are capable of 7 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 12:26 AM
The team had no idea what it was doing when it drafted Timmons? It is not as if James Harrison was already defensive player of the year, and Woodley already had multiple sack games in his first four playoff games when Timmons was drafted.

Joey Porter was cut the same offseason in which we drafted Timmons, and Clark Haggans was on his way out as well (he would be gone the following offseason). At that point, James Harrison's experience as a starter consisted of one single game (when Porter and William Green got into in at midfield during pre-game warmups and both were ejected before the game even started), so he essentially a complete unknown when it came to his abilities to be a full time starter. When they selected Timmons in round one, the team had no idea that LaMarr Woodley would be available when their turn came in round two. That was a bonus (to say the least).

You compare Timmons to Chad Brown, which I think is an apt comparison. Both are athletic guys who had success blitzing up the middle, and could move outside if injuries occur to our outside backers (Chad's best statistical season as a Steeler was when he moved to OLB when Greg Lloyd was injured).

I think Foote was brought in as Farrior slowing down insurance, not as any sort of threat to take Timmons' job. None of the other ILB's on this team are capable of 7 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.

with the benefit of hindsight, I would have preferred Jon Beason over Timmons.

but i'm happy with Timmons, he's a good player. and i'm pretty happy with that Woodley guy we got in the second round so i would say things turned out pretty well.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
with the benefit of hindsight, I would have preferred Jon Beason over Timmons.

but i'm happy with Timmons, he's a good player. and i'm pretty happy with that Woodley guy we got in the second round so i would say things turned out pretty well.

Exactly...hindsight. If we knew then that Woodley would be available in the next round and the Harrison would erupt into a DPOY, then a pure ILB like Beason would have been the more logical choice. But we did not know that at that time, so the more versatile Timmons made more sense at that time.

Chadman
03-23-2010, 12:55 AM

some patience, people

for God's sake

All of them, that is, except UNDRAFTED ROOKIE Ramon Foster who actually passed DRAFTED ROOKIE Kraig Urbik on the depth chart, to start at RG after Kemo got hurt.

Not a good sign...

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 01:08 AM

some patience, people

for God's sake

All of them, that is, except UNDRAFTED ROOKIE Ramon Foster who actually passed DRAFTED ROOKIE Kraig Urbik on the depth chart, to start at RG after Kemo got hurt.

Not a good sign...

i give props to Ramon Foster, it is very rare that an UDFA like him comes in and sees significant playing time.

Urbik will come in this year listed #3 on the depth chart at RG behind Essex and Foster, if the Steelers select Mike Iupati this year Urbik may well be moved to center.

NJ-STEELER
03-23-2010, 01:38 AM

some patience, people

for God's sake

Not a good sign...

did foster play a zone blocking scheme in college? did ubrick?
maybe he had an advantage (i really dont know, so i'm just putting this out there)

wasn't foster an OT in college and ubrick was strictly a guard.

do you think being able to possibly fill in at at Guard and tackle may have been a factor in dressing and starting foster over ubrick.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2010, 02:00 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":r82giy17]why is ubrick considered a bust when every other lineman on our squad played just as much as him in their rookie years?

some patience, people

for God's sake

Not a good sign...

maybe he had an advantage (i really dont know, so i'm just putting this out there)

do you think being able to possibly fill in at at Guard and tackle may have been a factor in dressing and starting foster over ubrick.[/quote:r82giy17]

Urbik will be given every chance to win the RG position this training camp and he should make the roster. the fact the Steelers aren't re-signing Darnell Stapleton helps Urbik's cause, given time i think Urbik may still pan out because he is a hard worker.

but he needs to show something early in camp, so far Urbik has only shown the Steelers poor footwork.

Oviedo
03-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm still waiting for the tackles after 3+ yards stats for Timmons. I can't find them but then again I don't believe the conjecture. Then again, those stats really don't exist but it is cited as a weakness of his because of "personal observation."

You may not like Timmons and his choice as #1 but at least be intellectually honest and just state that as opposed to making up and referencing non exisitent stats as the baisis of your argument.

The reality is that Timmons is a young 24 year old starter who will be in the mix on this team for several more years. He has done well and will do better.

Chadman
03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1ygh7u9z]why is ubrick considered a bust when every other lineman on our squad played just as much as him in their rookie years?

some patience, people

for God's sake

Not a good sign...

do you think being able to possibly fill in at at Guard and tackle may have been a factor in dressing and starting foster over ubrick.[/quote:1ygh7u9z]

Urbik was drafted from Wisconsin- and both Larry Z & Bruce Arians said that Urbik excelled at Zone Blocking. Of course, Larry Z is gone now, and Arians has been reigned in...is Zone Blocking going the way of the dinosaur in Pittsburgh?

Also, Urbik played both OG & RT at Wisconsin- Foster played strictly OT. Yet Foster still got the LG gig ahead of Urbik....uh oh....

StarSpangledSteeler
03-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm still waiting for the tackles after 3+ yards stats for Timmons. I can't find them but then again I don't believe the conjecture. Then again, those stats really don't exist but it is cited as a weakness of his because of "personal observation."

You may not like Timmons and his choice as #1 but at least be intellectually honest and just state that as opposed to making up and referencing non exisitent stats as the baisis of your argument.

The reality is that Timmons is a young 24 year old starter who will be in the mix on this team for several more years. He has done well and will do better.

I agree. I think of Timmons as a bonus, not a waste. Football is a game of injuries. In a 3-4 defense your ROLB is your primary playmaker. You must have his back up ready at all times. It is a great luxury and a bonus to have a player with Timmons' ability ready to shift outside, should he be needed.

if Harrison gets hurt, we may very well be praising the day we drafted Timmons. I think Timmons would surprise a lot of people if given the chance to start at OLB. Harrison certainly did.

steelz09
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
ok -- so stats that would show tackles after yardage gained (particularly on rush plays) is useless?

That's possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all day, and today was "one of those days"

Let's see, I guess tackles behind the line of scrimmage don't matter either :roll:

Chadman
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
ok -- so stats that would show tackles after yardage gained (particularly on rush plays) is useless?

That's possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all day, and today was "one of those days"

Let's see, I guess tackles behind the line of scrimmage don't matter either :roll:

Someone is wearing the poopy pants.... :D

Oviedo
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Someone is wearing the poopy pants.... :D

Someone can't produce the imaginary damning stats they use to condemn Timmons and won't admit there is no reason other than they just don't like the pick three years ago and won't no matter what he does.

ikestops85
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM

I don't think those stats would be useless but like most stats it would be misleading. Timmons has amazing explosiveness towards the ball and makes a lot of tackles in other defenders coverage area.

If the offense ran a sweep right and Timmons went and made the tackle 4 yards downfield this stat would count against him even though he made a good play. The same thing on any cutback or reversal of field that the runner made. For the stat to be meaningful you would have to know the defensive responsibility on each play and the runners point of attack. This is something that we, as football know-it-alls posting on a message board, have no way of knowing ...

but it makes for good discussion to speculate. :lol:

Oviedo
03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

I don't think those stats would be useless but like most stats it would be misleading. Timmons has amazing explosiveness towards the ball and makes a lot of tackles in other defenders coverage area.

If the offense ran a sweep right and Timmons went and made the tackle 4 yards downfield this stat would count against him even though he made a good play. The same thing on any cutback or reversal of field that the runner made. For the stat to be meaningful you would have to know the defensive responsibility on each play and the runners point of attack. This is something that we, as football know-it-alls posting on a message board, have no way of knowing ...

You are correct and you bring up the key point. Fans have absolutely no idea what a player is being asked to do play to play.

I just can't see the criticism of a player is is 5th on the team in tackles, 3rd in sacks and 2nd in forced fumbles. Those are pretty impressive for a player who played hurt and missed I think 3 games. Pretty ridiculous to criticize that when you can produce no evidence that he is doing anything wrong or poorly.

steelz09
03-24-2010, 09:42 PM

You are correct and you bring up the key point. Fans have absolutely no idea what a player is being asked to do play to play.

I just can't see the criticism of a player is is 5th on the team in tackles, 3rd in sacks and 2nd in forced fumbles. Those are pretty impressive for a player who played hurt and missed I think 3 games. Pretty ridiculous to criticize that when you can produce no evidence that he is doing anything wrong or poorly.

My evidence is captured by watching the game and re-watching the game(s) with my eyes open, not closed. And especially not having the Steelers "blinders" on.

ramblinjim
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Re: Urbick and Foster: Does anyone remember? IIRC, there was a health related or off the field related reason why Foster fell to UDFA wasn't there? Just like Kemo fell to the 6th round b/c no one thought he could control his temper?

Timmons may play better with Foote than with Farrior. Just a thought.

steelz09
03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Re: Urbick and Foster: Does anyone remember? IIRC, there was a health related or off the field related reason why Foster fell to UDFA wasn't there? Just like Kemo fell to the 6th round b/c no one thought he could control his temper?

Very possibly.. I have no idea regarding the Foster health issue though

stlrz d
03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
With my "selective memory" I recall Timmons applying a lot of QB pressure and making a lot of plays that were well away from his area of responsibility (according to where he was lined up and how the play developed).

Oviedo
03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
With my "selective memory" I recall Timmons applying a lot of QB pressure and making a lot of plays that were well away from his area of responsibility (according to where he was lined up and how the play developed).

You would be correct and not misremembering. Timmons was a difference maker last season and will continue to be so.

Oviedo
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I think his issue was he came out as a tackle who was perceived to lack the skills to be a OT in the NFL. Since most of his gamefilm was as a OT it was all speculation about what he could do at OG. Therefore he was probably undervalued at the OL position that is typivcally the most undervalued to begin with...OG. From reports leading into last year's draft where he was a listed as a "faller" and 7th-FA ranking.

Analysis
Positives: Tall, massive prospect with long, strong arms and better initial and short-area quickness than you'd expect for his size. Can wall off tackles inside or get the outside shoulder of his man outside to create running lanes. Not overly quick getting down on the cut block, but his sheer mass makes him effective. It takes ends an extra second to get around his big body to the quarterback, and he's too strong to get bull rushed into the quarterback. Plays through the whistle, and will hit his man two or three times if necessary. Has adequate foot speed to get to linebackers if they are directly in his path. Vocal leader in the locker room and on the field.

Negatives: A bit larger in the middle than scouts like. Might need to move inside because although he has a fair kick-slide in pass protection, he does not have the lateral quickness to stay with the quick outside rush. Hands are not quick enough to reset if he doesn't latch on initially. Waist-bender who loses his balance too often when extending his arms and not moving his feet in pass protection and blocking at the second level. Lumbers in space and does not change directions quickly. Poor recovery speed against twists and quick moves.

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Iupati may not even be around when we pick at #18 -

Dolphins | Showing interest in Iupati

Thu, 25 Mar 2010

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins are showing interest in University of Idaho OG Mike Iupati. The Dolphins were impressed with Iupati while watching game film as well as his performance at the 2010 Senior Bowl. They met with Iupati earlier this month.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#634821#ixzz0jE2DTaef

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2OaVfhNAefU/Szff1UQp84I/AAAAAAAAJkM/WBz1q2XxgUo/s320/MikeIupati.jpg

Chadman
03-25-2010, 06:06 PM

Thu, 25 Mar 2010

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins are showing interest in University of Idaho OG Mike Iupati. The Dolphins were impressed with Iupati while watching game film as well as his performance at the 2010 Senior Bowl. They met with Iupati earlier this month.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2OaVfhNAefU/Szff1UQp84I/AAAAAAAAJkM/WBz1q2XxgUo/s320/MikeIupati.jpg

Watch the Dolphins take Dan Williams...

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Thu, 25 Mar 2010

I think Miami takes Dan Williams as well. I think Jason Ferguson is a couple of years older than Casey Hampton, so they need a long term solution at NT, plus Ferguson will be suspended for half the season, so they have an immediate need at NT as well.

However, it has been reported that they have been dangling Justin Smiley out there as trade bait, so they could be looking for his replacement, and Iupati would be perfect for a Parcell's o-line.

Notice that they are one spot ahead of San Fran (who could use a CB like Haden). What if we have a deal worked out where we trade our 1.18 and 2.52 (900 + 380 = 1280) for Miami's 1.12 and 4.110 (1200 + 74 = 1274) so that we could get Haden at #12 and they could get Iupati at #18. They could then use the two 2nd round picks to take a nose tackle to replace Ferguson (Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas) and a OLB to replace Porter (Jason Worilds, Ricky Sapp, or Koa Misi).

We could possibly trade those two 4th round picks to get another 3rd rounder. We'd have a lot of options with two 3rd round picks. We could take a d-lineman such as DE Alex Carrington or NT Torrell Troup, an interior o-lineman such as OG John Jerry, OC J. D. Walton or Matt Tennant, a RB like Toby Gerhart or Ben Tate, or even a LB like Brandon Spikes whose stock is falling out of the second round because of a poor 40 time. Just a thought.

Lebsteel
03-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Thu, 25 Mar 2010

I think Miami takes Dan Williams as well. I think Jason Ferguson is a couple of years older than Casey Hampton, so they need a long term solution at NT, plus Ferguson will be suspended for half the season, so they have an immediate need at NT as well.

However, it has been reported that they have been dangling Justin Smiley out there as trade bait, so they could be looking for his replacement, and Iupati would be perfect for a Parcell's o-line.

Notice that they are one spot ahead of San Fran (who could use a CB like Haden). What if we have a deal worked out where we trade our 1.18 and 2.52 (900 + 380 = 1280) for Miami's 1.12 and 4.110 (1200 + 74 = 1274) so that we could get Haden at #12 and they could get Iupati at #18. They could then use the two 2nd round picks to take a nose tackle to replace Ferguson (Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas) and a OLB to replace Porter (Jason Worilds, Ricky Sapp, or Koa Misi).

We could possibly trade those two 4th round picks to get another 3rd rounder. We'd have a lot of options with two 3rd round picks. We could take a d-lineman such as DE Alex Carrington or NT Torrell Troup, an interior o-lineman such as OG John Jerry, OC J. D. Walton or Matt Tennant, a RB like Toby Gerhart or Ben Tate, or even a LB like Brandon Spikes whose stock is falling out of the second round because of a poor 40 time. Just a thought.
Maybe for Eric Berry, but not for Joe Haden. I like Wilson or Thomas more than Haden. BUT, I love the idea of the Dolphins taking Iupati!! :lol:

ramblinjim
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM

I think his issue was he came out as a tackle who was perceived to lack the skills to be a OT in the NFL. Since most of his gamefilm was as a OT it was all speculation about what he could do at OG. Therefore he was probably undervalued at the OL position that is typivcally the most undervalued to begin with...OG. From reports leading into last year's draft where he was a listed as a "faller" and 7th-FA ranking.

Analysis
Positives: Tall, massive prospect with long, strong arms and better initial and short-area quickness than you'd expect for his size. Can wall off tackles inside or get the outside shoulder of his man outside to create running lanes. Not overly quick getting down on the cut block, but his sheer mass makes him effective. It takes ends an extra second to get around his big body to the quarterback, and he's too strong to get bull rushed into the quarterback. Plays through the whistle, and will hit his man two or three times if necessary. Has adequate foot speed to get to linebackers if they are directly in his path. Vocal leader in the locker room and on the field.

Negatives: A bit larger in the middle than scouts like. Might need to move inside because although he has a fair kick-slide in pass protection, he does not have the lateral quickness to stay with the quick outside rush. Hands are not quick enough to reset if he doesn't latch on initially. Waist-bender who loses his balance too often when extending his arms and not moving his feet in pass protection and blocking at the second level. Lumbers in space and does not change directions quickly. Poor recovery speed against twists and quick moves.

Ovie, thank you for this.

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 01:04 AM
i have also heard the Patriots are very high on DE/OLB Brandon Graham, either Graham or Odrick would be great choices. personally, i hope they get neither one of them...

PRO DAYS

DE Odrick to visit with Saints, Jets and Broncos

Posted: March 24th, 2010

Penn State DE Jared Odrick, widely considered a first-round prospect, has already met with the Falcons, Browns and Broncos.

Odrick now has visits scheduled next month with the Saints (April 12), Jets (April 5, 6) and Cowboys (date to be determined).

NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan and Bucky Brooks each have Odrick going 22nd to the Patriots in their latest mock drafts, while NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock ranks him fourth among all defensive ends.

– Gil Brandt

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Maybe for Eric Berry, but not for Joe Haden. I like Wilson or Thomas more than Haden. BUT, I love the idea of the Dolphins taking Iupati!! :lol:

Oh, I would be willing to give up more if Berry were in play. The proposed Dolphin trade for Haden was to swap first rounders, giving them our 2nd and taking back their 4th (just because the numbers matched up pretty well on the ol' trade chart).

But if Berry fell into the latter portions of the top 10, I'd be willing to give up our 1st, 2nd, and even a 5th or 6th without getting anything but Berry in return (even without a gaping hole at FS after re-signing Ryan Clark). Berry is officially my man-crush of the draft.

Last year, I was a big Mack and Oher fan, but it didn't reach true man-crush proportions like it did when Calvin Johnson came out a few years ago. I was willing to give up an entire draft class (yeah, a Ditka special) albeit over the course of two drafts (trade all odd picks in that draft and all even picks in the next draft in order to move up to #2 to take Johnson). That's a man crush right there. I'm almost embarrassed by it now. Almost. :oops: :lol:

ramblinjim
03-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Oh, I would be willing to give up more if Berry were in play. The proposed Dolphin trade for Haden was to swap first rounders, giving them our 2nd and taking back their 4th (just because the numbers matched up pretty well on the ol' trade chart).

But if Berry fell into the latter portions of the top 10, I'd be willing to give up our 1st, 2nd, and even a 5th or 6th without getting anything but Berry in return (even without a gaping hole at FS after re-signing Ryan Clark). Berry is officially my man-crush of the draft.

Last year, I was a big Mack and Oher fan, but it didn't reach true man-crush proportions like it did when Calvin Johnson came out a few years ago. I was willing to give up an entire draft class (yeah, a Ditka special) albeit over the course of two drafts (trade all odd picks in that draft and all even picks in the next draft in order to move up to #2 to take Johnson). That's a man crush right there. I'm almost embarrassed by it now. Almost. :oops: :lol:

Calvin Johnson would have looked good in the Black and Gold.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Giving up 7 picks for one guy seems totally ridiculous (and Ditka got raked over the coals for such an idea) but I went back and looked at the players we ended up taking with the picks I suggested we trade in that draft (1-3-5-7 in 07 and 2-4-6 in 08). We would have given up Lawrence Timmons, Matt Spaeth, Cam Stephenson, Dallas Baker, Limas Sweed, Tony Hills, and Mike Humpal. Calvin is worth way more than all those guys combined.

Lebsteel
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Giving up 7 picks for one guy seems totally ridiculous (and Ditka got raked over the coals for such an idea) but I went back and looked at the players we ended up taking with the picks I suggested we trade in that draft (1-3-5-7 in 07 and 2-4-6 in 08). We would have given up Lawrence Timmons, Matt Spaeth, Cam Stephenson, Dallas Baker, Limas Sweed, Tony Hills, and Mike Humpal. Calvin is worth way more than all those guys combined.
Good point! The only name that has been productive at all is Timmons. But just think if we would have drafted Poslusnzy like I wanted us too. I guess he was my "man-crush" that year. :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Good point! The only name that has been productive at all is Timmons. But just think if we would have drafted Poslusnzy like I wanted us too. I guess he was my "man-crush" that year. :shock:

Hmmm...Poz that year, Odrick and Lee this year...I wonder what those guys have in common.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/real-homer-simpson.jpg

:wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
would it shock anyone if we traded down a couple of spots (let's say the Eagles at #24) and pick up an extra 3rd round draft choice and then use the pick at #24 to select:

Steelers | Met with Kyle Wilson after workout

Fri, 26 Mar 2010

Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers met with Boise State CB Kyle Wilson after his Pro Day workout Friday, March 26.

NFL | K. Wilson posts fast 40 time

Fri, 26 Mar 2010

Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports Boise State CB Kyle Wilson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds at his Pro Day Friday, March 26, according to a source.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#635039#ixzz0jJqAqSHJ

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2010, 01:21 AM
maybe the Steelers will target Terrence Cody's girlfriend in Round 1 - now THAT's what i call a Camel Toe!

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9007/hhhgf.jpg

frankthetank1
03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
maybe the Steelers will target Terrence Cody's girlfriend in Round 1 - now THAT's what i call a Camel Toe!

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9007/hhhgf.jpg

haha thats awesome!! ive seen that pic in a email i got at work. thats not camel toe its moose knuckle!! :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
we should have the chance to draft the #1 rated OG and the #1 rated OC when it's our turn to pick in the first round - and our new OL coach has stated that Iupati is the Steelers' #1 rated OL overall on our draft board.

Peak performers: Offensive linemen likely to be premium again in draft

By Frank Cooney, Special to USA TODAY

Here is the good news for NFL quarterbacks: This year's class of offensive linemen looked great in games and excellent at the scouting combine and should prove prominent in the early rounds of next month's NFL draft.

As many as 14 offensive linemen are rated as first- or second-round picks, according to NFLDraftScout.com. That includes six tackles in the first round and three among the top 10 overall. The best of these big boys figures to be Oklahoma State tackle Russell Okung, who could be among the first five players taken.

The entire group is one of the most athletic ever. Three (all 300-plus pounds) ran faster than five seconds in the 40-yard dash, led by 314-pound Maryland tackle Bruce Campbell (4.75). As a group, the 46 players averaged 5.24 seconds in the 40 and 27 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, both combine records.

A closer look at this year's top offensive line prospects, listed with their school, height, weight and projected round of selection (*denotes underclassman):

TACKLES

1. Russell Okung

Oklahoma State, 6-5, 307, 1: The all-Big 12 offensive lineman of the year and one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, presented to the nation's top interior lineman, Okung was a key part of the Oklahoma State offense for four years. In 2008, scouts noted his ability to neutralize Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, the Big 12 defensive player of the year and a Pro Bowler as a rookie for the Washington Redskins in 2009. Okung uses great footwork and athleticism that melds well as a pass blocker; he allowed one sack and two pressures on 336 pass plays. But he also helped the Cowboys capture their fourth consecutive conference rushing title (187.8 yards a game) as well as finish sixth in the nation in fewest sacks allowed (0.92 a game).

2. *Bryan Bulaga

Iowa, 6-6, 314, 1: A competitive, smart, hardworking team leader, Bulaga was the 2009 Big Ten offensive lineman of the year despite missing three games with a thyroid problem. Bulaga characterized it as a short-term issue, and most teams seem satisfied by medical reports that validate that. However, the malady helped spur Bulaga to forgo his final college year. "The illness I was faced with at the beginning of the 2009 season made me realize how important football is in my life and how quickly it can be taken away," he said. Bulaga uses equal amounts of finesse and force and has the footwork and agility to be an excellent NFL pass blocker, though he also played guard at Iowa and might see time there in the pros.

3. Trent Williams

Oklahoma, 6-5, 315, 1: A fluid and relentless athlete, Williams is especially impressive handling quick defensive ends because he has the footwork and body balance to stay with them. He validated that with impressive agility and position drills at the combine. While Williams appears to have enough strength to stop bull rushers, he is not always successful because he struggles to maintain a leverage position when attacked head on. The lone returning Sooners starter on the front line in 2009, he moved from right to left tackle and displayed an ability to recognize and react to various blitzes. According to coaching staff stats, Williams registered 369 knockdowns and 36 blocks that resulted in touchdowns in his final two seasons.

4. *Anthony Davis

Rutgers, 6-5, 323, 1: NFL scouts wonder if Davis, who has lost 40 pounds since his freshman season, is willing to do the work to maximize his tremendous raw athleticism. This huge man has the ability to be as good as he wants to be. He has an explosive first step, impressive strength that should be expected of such a large man and nimble footwork that is better than should be expected. He was suspended for one game in 2008 for violating team rules, benched for a quarter in 2009 for missing a team meeting and demoted to second team last year after reporting overweight. When he did play, Davis allowed 6½ sacks and eight pressures on 699 pass plays, according to the coaching staff.

5. Charles Brown

Southern California, 6-6, 303, 1-2: Brown is a former tight end who made the transition to offensive tackle in 2005, a switch made by many successful NFL linemen. Brown first impressed scouts by protecting the blind side of former Trojans quarterback Mark Sanchez. He has displayed ample athletic ability to be considered a left tackle prospect in the NFL. However, Brown is still learning the tricks of the trade and will need to fill out his frame to handle stronger defensive ends in the pros. He won the Pacific-10 Morris Trophy for offensive linemen, which is a considerable honor because it is determined by votes from defensive linemen in the conference.

6. *Bruce Campbell

Maryland, 6-7, 314, 1-2: Campbell was a workout wonder at the scouting combine, adding fuel to his rising stock up draft boards based on promise rather than production. His size and natural athletic ability are obvious, as reflected by his fastest clocking of 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash and a 32-inch vertical leap at the combine. But he could have used more experience. Campbell became a starter for the last seven games of his sophomore year. He missed three games last season with a sprained left medial collateral ligament and turf toe. His pass-blocking technique is to attack rushers, a tactic that could backfire against experienced and opportunistic NFL defensive ends.

7. Rodger Saffold

Indiana, 6-5, 316, 2: Despite being a solid starter at left tackle since his freshman year, Saffold didn't get a lot of attention from scouts until he became a surprise standout during East-West Shrine Game workouts. He was impressive against active, spinning pass rushers and showed great strength as a drive blocker. He continued to impress NFL teams with a great workout at the combine and followed up by showing excellent agility in his pro day drills. Before that, it seems the most attention he received was unwanted — seven penalties in his senior season. He was bothered by back and knee injuries in 2008, missing two games. But according to coaching statistics, Saffold allowed three sacks and one pressure in his final 440 college pass plays.

8. Vladimir Ducasse

Massachusetts, 6-5, 332, 2: In three years at UMass, Ducasse was a standout blocker for both the pass and the run. That is particularly amazing considering he knew little about football when, at 14, he was sent by his parents to the USA to get away from rough street life in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. He has a rare combination of size and skills, but there is no consensus on where his talent might be best used in pro football. At the Senior Bowl, scouts delighted in watching him line up at all of the offensive line positions and then take shots on the defensive side. Ducasse's natural strength and athletic ability give him tremendous upside.

9. Jared Veldheer

Hillsdale (Mich.), 6-8, 312, 2-3: Tall and talented, Veldheer demanded attention at the combine with remarkable workouts that validated his extraordinary play throughout college, where he was the top vote-getter in his region for the Gene Upshaw Award as the top small-college offensive lineman last year. At the combine, this giant had a 32½-inch vertical jump, 32 reps with 225 pounds in the bench press and a best 40-yard time of 5.06 seconds. Veldheer will be the first Hillsdale offensive lineman to be drafted since Howard Mudd (1964), who played for a few all-star years before a bad knee forced him into coaching, where he was the longest-tenured assistant coach (36 years) in the NFL until he retired last month as the offensive line coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

10. John Jerry

Mississippi, 6-6, 328, 2-3: Jerry began his college career at guard, which is where some scouts feel he might settle in as a pro. He is the brother of Atlanta Falcons 2009 first-round pick Peria Jerry, a defensive tackle. John earned second-team all-Southeastern Conference accolades in 2008 and first-team honors last season. He started 46 games, including 12 at right guard as a freshman, nine at right guard in 2007, 13 at right tackle as a junior and eight at right tackle before shifting to right guard for the last four contests as a senior. He blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in the 2006, 2007 and 2009 seasons. In the last two years, he allowed six sacks and eight quarterback pressures.

11. Jason Fox

Miami (Fla.), 6-7, 303, 3: It might be hard to imagine a Hurricanes player with 47 starts as a sleeper. But in a class full of outstanding offensive linemen, Fox might get that tag after missing the final two games of a solid college career. First, he missed a game in November against South Florida with what was called an irregular heartbeat, and he had surgery on his left knee in December and was unable to play in the Champs Sports Bowl on Dec. 29 or work out at the combine in February. He is expected to perform for scouts at Miami's pro day March 26. He ended his days at Miami on the sideline after being previously known as an ironman for his ability to stay on the field despite injuries, including a severely sprained ankle and a dislocated elbow.

GUARDS

1. Mike Iupati

Idaho, 6-5, 331, 1: Iupati was born in American Samoa and moved to the USA at 14. Idaho grabbed him when other schools became concerned that he would have challenges academically because he was still learning the English language. In 2009, Iupati became the second non-Bowl Championship Series school player to be named a finalist for the Outland Trophy since the award's inception in 1946. He was the first Vandal to win All-America honors since Jerry Kramer, who was honorable mention in 1957. Iupati is a massive, powerful, athletic player who can dominate defenders and is just beginning to grasp the game. Although Iupati played guard in all 34 of his college games, NFL scouts are curious how much of an impact he might have as a defensive lineman or what type of quarterback security he might provide as a left tackle.

2. Jon Asamoah

Illinois, 6-4, 305, 2: A three-year starter at right guard, Asamoah has the size, strength and mobility to project as a versatile guard who can play either side and pull when needed. According to the Illini's coaching stats, as a starter he had 267 knockdowns, otherwise known as pancakes. In the last two seasons, he allowed four sacks and four pressures. Coaches and teammates love him for his nastiness on the field and his upbeat personality in the locker room. He wasn't bad in class either, earning Academic All-America honors.

3. Mike Johnson

6-5, 312, Alabama, 3: Johnson was the unquestioned leader of the offensive line that opened the way for Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram and helped the Crimson Tide roll to a national championship in 2009. He is a cerebral blocker who adjusts quickly, plays with a high motor and is able to play on either side as a guard or tackle. He started 41 consecutive games, including 26 at left guard, 10 at right tackle, three at right guard and two at left tackle. He set a school career record when he played against Texas in the 2010 BCS championship game, his 54th contest for the Crimson Tide.

4. Mitch Petrus

Arkansas, 6-3, 310, 3-4: Keeping track of Petrus on and off the field was a significant chore. He was originally a walk-on tight end, then switched to offensive guard, then fullback and back to guard in 2007. Oh, and his first name is really Jonathan, but he goes by the short version of Mitchell, his middle name. When he finally settled in at guard, Petrus earned second-team all-SEC honors. But just when it seemed he'd found his way, Petrus missed the 2008 season because of an academic suspension. He returned for an outstanding season in 2009. The former 225-pound walk-on tied a combine record in the 225-pound bench press with 45 repetitions.

CENTERS

1. *Maurkice Pouncey

Florida, 6-5, 304, 1-2: Winner of the 2009 Rimington Trophy, awarded annually to the nation's top center, Pouncey plays with a nasty disposition and delights in putting defenders on their backs. His toughness was reflected before the Sugar Bowl when he had to receive treatment for kidney stones hours before kickoff but played. Although he left Gainesville a year early, Pouncey has shown enough to be ranked the top center prospect in this draft. Coaches rave about his field intelligence and ability to make all of the offensive line calls while making the shotgun snap for the Gators. He has exceptional quickness and gets into good position to pass protect if somebody is over him and shows excellent awareness helping other linemen. His identical twin, Mike, plays right guard for the Gators, but he chose to return for his senior season.

2. Matt Tennant

Boston College, 6-5, 300, 2-3: Tennant will be the latest in a long line of offensive linemen Boston College has sent to the NFL, where 11 former Eagles linemen were on rosters last season. Tennant, a standout since becoming first string as a redshirt sophomore, started the last 41 games at center and yielded an assisted sack in his last 27 appearances. He seems lanky for a center, and NFL teams will probably want him to add more mass.

Cooney is the publisher of NFLDraftScout.com, the scouting service of USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ules_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-03-25-sw-offensive-tackles-capsules_N.htm)

Oviedo
03-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I really like the idea of Mike Johnson or Mitch Petrus in Round 3. Johnson especially is the type of leader who could become the heart and soul of an OL for a decade.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2010, 06:33 PM
i wouldn't be against moving up in Round 1 for Berry or Haden -

2010 NFL Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers May Be Searching for Trading Partners

by David Klingler Correspondent

The Steelers have put themselves in a good position heading into the draft. They addressed a number of depth issues at some key areas during their recent free agent spending spree.

That may allow them to focus on specific need areas in the early rounds—such as offensive line, cornerback, and defensive line.

The NFL also issued the Steelers three compensatory picks—bringing their total to 10.

It seems hard to believe that all 10 picks would be able to make this veteran, talent-rich Steelers squad that is only one season removed from winning the Super Bowl.

It seems entirely possible—even likely—that the Steelers could be looking to package some of their picks to move up and select someone of interest.

The Steelers have a history of success in recent years—moving up to acquire Troy Polamalu in 2003 and Santonio Holmes in 2006.

Many thought the Steelers, with their flurry of activity in free agency, were positioning themselves to do some maneuvering in the draft—a thought that becomes even more valid with the addition of three compensatory picks.

The Steelers could be targeting any number of players to move up to acquire—such as the draft's top cover corner, Joe Haden of Florida.

Other possibilities include offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga of Iowa and versatile guard Mike Iupati of Idaho.

If their behavior during free agency is any indication, the Steelers may be making some phone calls on draft day.

Their recent history indicates they will be successful if they do make that move upward.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3690 ... g-partners (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369014-2010-nfl-draft-steelers-may-be-searching-for-trading-partners)

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Scouts Inc. on Steelers' draft

By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers have the No. 18 overall pick in the 2010 draft, which is their highest slot in three years.

On Monday the AFC North blog caught up with Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. to get an early feel for Pittsburgh's needs in the first round.

Matt, the Steelers don't pick in the teens often. Do you think this is their chance to land an impact player who can help right away next season?

Matt Williamson: The Steelers don't miss often in the first round no matter what. They're pretty solid in that regard. They've have some issues in the second round at times. But I think they need to find an impact defensive back. That has to be priority No. 1. I don't know exactly what's going to be there yet at No. 18. We will have to see what juniors will declare.

What do you think about the cornerbacks in particular?

Williamson: If you look at all their corners right now, Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend, the two guys they just drafted, they're all mid-round guys. None of them came into the league with a huge pedigree or blow-you-away athleticism and natural skills. If they can add a first-rounder it might go a long way.

Do the Steelers have enough confidence in 2009 draft picks Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis to make strides and fill a big role next season?

Williamson: I can see one of those guys being a solid No. 3. That's sort of been their formula with these mid-round guys. Ike Taylor gave them nothing as a rookie. William Gay was a nickelback and did a nice job. But when he became a starter he struggled. So I think they want to bring in corners in the middle rounds, have them play special teams and earn their way, and then insert them in the lineup in year two or three. That formula can still hold true with Lewis and Burnett. I liked both players coming out of school, and I haven't seen enough of them to say they're not going to be able to help at this level. I think the jury is still out. But it's obvious, too, that neither has the pedigree or the ability to be a No. 1 corner. The ideal situation is to make Ike Taylor your No. 2 corner and bring in a No. 1-type corner. Then you’re really talking. The rest can play nickel and dime positions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... lers-draft (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/8325/scouts-inc-on-steelers-draft)

NW Steeler
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
If the Steelers are dead set on drafting Pouncey, I hope that they find a willing partner so that they can trade down in round one, then turn around and trade up in round 2. I don't want to see them draft Pouncey with pick #18.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
If the Steelers are dead set on drafting Pouncey, I hope that they find a willing partner so that they can trade down in round one, then turn around and trade up in round 2. I don't want to see them draft Pouncey with pick #18.

yes, i could stomach taking Pouncey in the first round if we moved down and picked up an additional 2nd or 3rd round draft choice.

that 2nd or 3rd round draft choice could then be used to move up really high into Round 2 to pick up another player we covet.

Lebsteel
03-31-2010, 07:19 AM

yes, i could stomach taking Pouncey in the first round if we moved down and picked up an additional 2nd or 3rd round draft choice.

that 2nd or 3rd round draft choice could then be used to move up really high into Round 2 to pick up another player we covet.
:tt1 :Clap :tt1 :Clap No OL at 18, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE or as you say trade down take Pouncey and then DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!

Steel Life
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm still not sold on Haden as the solution we need. If I had to choose between Haden & Thomas, I'd go Thomas because he offers more versatility & can be a capable back-up if Troy goes down again. He just offers better value at 18 than trading up to get Haden.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm still sold on Haden as the solution we need. If I had to choose between Haden & Thomas, I'd go Thomas because he offers more versatility & can be a capable back-up if Troy goes down again. He just offers better value at 18 than trading up to get Haden.

Haden would be my #1 preference but we would most likely have to give up our 2nd rounder in order to trade up and select him.

If Thomas is available, i think the Steelers select him...i just don't think Thomas lasts until the #18 spot.

I'm thinking more and more we select this guy:

Kyle Wilson Scouting Report

Position: CB

Height & Weight: 5'10 - 190 lbs.
Ranked #23 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

An impressive Fiesta Bowl jump started Wilson's rise through draft boards across the nation. The way he ended his senior season should not had come as a big surprise to many NFL scouts as the 5-foot-10 defensive back had a solid college career that began in the same Arizona field (against Oklahoma in the 2006 Fiesta Bowl) that ended it all a few weeks ago.

As a redshirt freshman, Wilson had a breakthrough game against the vaunted Sooners' passing attack, registering 10 tackles in Boise's landmark 43-42 win.
Wilson ended 2006 (started 5 out of 13 games) with 41 tackles, 1 INT and 5 Passes Broken Up (PBU). A good second year (41 tackles, 2 INTs, 8 PBU and 1 sack) catapulted him to the national spotlight. Another great campaign followed in 2008 when as a junior, Wilson went on to set career-high in INTs (5) and PBU (10). Following yet another impressive season in 2009, the Piscataway, NJ product was invited to play in the Senior Bowl where he constantly outperformed the competition.

Has shown top notch athleticism throughout his career with the Broncos. Is aggressive trying to break up passes. Shows natural instincts to diagnose plays. Is not fooled easy by play-action. Reads receivers' route well. Can play zone or man equally well. Fast (4.32est) with an explosive closing burst. Can run with all WRs downfield. Shows good hands and body control. Good kick returner with the ability to score every time he touches the football.

Although, could do a better job getting into his position. Must improve technique as an open field tackler. Tends to stop his feet too often, diving at the ballcarrier instead of wrapping him up. Will gamble on WRs' double moves and gets turned around at times.

One of the up and coming CBs in this class, Wilson has been overshadowed by cornerback prospects from bigger programs, but he is as good (if not better) that many of them. He will become a solid pro.

4/1 Update: When everybody was equal in the eyes of the NFL at the combine, Wilson really proved that he is one of the best corners in this class. He has a ton of strength and did 25 reps at the combine, putting every other corner to shame. He ran at his pro day and was a little disappointing with a 4.43 40 time. An injured hamstring may have played a role, but Wilson is capable of running a sub 4.4 and NFL teams know it. That makes him one of the best corners in this class and he should not last past the first round.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_id=2188 (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2188)

http://blog.nj.com/njsports_impact/2008/11/medium_wilson28.JPG

Chadman
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Run Support: Plays with a cover corner mentality and rarely involves himself in run support. Has only averaged seven solo tackles a season in three years as a starter, despite posting 117 total tackles through his junior season. Flashes physicality as a hitter, but is typically more of a duck-and-swipe tackler. Has taken advantage of unsuspecting and defenseless receivers catching passes over the middle.

Tackling: Duck-and-swipe tackler who prefers not to get involved in run support. Takes too long to get past the receiver's block and rarely attacks the line of scrimmage.

And just to balance out the Wilson-love, here's something the previous post forgot to mention...

Doesn't sound like a Steeler CB, does it?

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Run Support: Plays with a cover corner mentality and rarely involves himself in run support. Has only averaged seven solo tackles a season in three years as a starter, despite posting 117 total tackles through his junior season. Flashes physicality as a hitter, but is typically more of a duck-and-swipe tackler. Has taken advantage of unsuspecting and defenseless receivers catching passes over the middle.

Tackling: Duck-and-swipe tackler who prefers not to get involved in run support. Takes too long to get past the receiver's block and rarely attacks the line of scrimmage.

And just to balance out the Wilson-love, here's something the previous post forgot to mention...

Doesn't sound like a Steeler CB, does it?

no, i agree with you...

Brandon Ghee, the CB you had the Steelers picking in Round 2 of your last mock draft is much better in run support and is more your prototypical Steelers CB.

and Ghee had 1 interception in his three seasons at Wake Forest.

Kyle Wilson had 8 interceptions his last two seasons alone and is a dynamic return man also. our defense desperately needs a playmaker and a CB that can cover, something at which Wilson excels at.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Evaluators fear bust potential of Pierre-Paul, Taylor Mays

Evaluators in attendance at Jason Pierre-Paul's workout at South Florida expressed excitement about the raw talent, citing his foot quickness, athletic ability and balance.

"He's the best defensive end in the draft," said one highly placed evaluator in position to strike.

The long-limbed Pierre-Paul was commended for being the first player in line for drills, picking up on instructions and working well through the bags during drills. Evaluators were generally excited about his workout.

PFW polled nearly a third of the league to get a pulse on where Pierre-Paul can be expected to be drafted, and the overwhelming sentiment was that he would fit into the top 15, with seven teams expecting Pierre-Paul to be drafted very early.

That is not to say that he is without sharp critics, however, as a handful of others not only disliked Pierre-Paul's athletic ability, they acknowledged they would not draft him in the first two rounds — the first four rounds, for two of them — and feared he would be a bust.

"He won't be ready," one GM said. "He will be outmanned. He will be lost. He has no football experience and only (13) games of football against a lower level of Division I football (competition). It's not like he lined up against Alabama and Georgia. He is not a pass rusher. He is late off the ball. He does not transition easily. I don't like tall, thin-legged guys that cannot convert speed into power."

Another top executive said: "Why take a chance on reaches in the first round that may never perform? It blows my mind how anyone could interview or put on the film and say, 'Wow.' If there is something we have learned through the years, it is that rushing the passer is not an easy art to teach."

"I know you got issues with a bunch of things non-football-related," a scout said. "I think everyone understands he is a rep player (needing a lot of repetitions). He did not get to school until the week before the season started, so he did not start the first three weeks, when they were not playing any big opponents (Wofford, Western Kentucky and Charleston Southern)."

Well represented at the workout were the New York Giants and the Cincinnati Bengals, with head coach Tom Coughlin and Marvin Lewis both in attendance, increasing speculation in league circles that Osi Umenyiora could be shipped out of town before the end of draft weekend.

Mays losing momentum in draft discussions

Debate continues to swirl about the top of the board at the safety class. Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are closely positioned at the top of most, with the gap being much closer than perception may be, and some NFL evaluators even preferring Thomas to Berry.

A number of other safety prospects have warranted discussion in the first round, with USC's Taylor Mays still fully expected to fit, and players such as Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett rising off draft boards after an impressive pro-day performance. South Florida's Nate Allen has also received late first- and early second-round grades from evaluators during the course of the fall season.

If Berry and Thomas are selected in the top 12 as anticipated, some executives believe as many as four safeties could fit into the first round the same way they did in 2007, when LaRon Landry (sixth overall), Michael Griffin (19), Reggie Nelson (21) and Brandon Meriweather (24) all landed.

Three is more likely, with Mays fully expected to land somewhere in the first. Physically, he compares to Landry, and his measurables suggest he should be a top-10 pick. The reality is that he fielded a great deal of third- and even fourth-round grades from NFL evaluators this season and has huge bust potential.

"(The big guy) can't move laterally," one very well-trained set of eyes said. "When you see him in man coverage, receivers run right by him. With the way the game is played today, I have no idea where you play him."

Some teams have discussed the idea of projecting him to weak-side linebacker but question whether he has the toughness to play in the box. Others look at the way LaRon Landry performed for the Redskins this season and are only more concerned.

"Landry did not play very well (last) year," a veteran evaluator said. "He kept going for the home-run hit and missing. The spread between his great plays and his bad plays was huge."

The same could be said for Mays. He is big, fast in a straight line, and can create thunder collisions when he has a clean shot. However, the traits that are necessary to survive on the back end in the NFL — cover skills, instincts and secure tackling — are all far too inconsistent with Mays. Questions about his maturity level only compound a high bust factor.

Burnett's football intelligence has been questioned and is expected to keep him out of the first round, despite his clocking in the 4.4s at his pro day, working out better than expected, and some evaluators not seeing a lot of difference between him and Thomas.

Allen disappointed evaluators when he performed agility drills at South Florida's workout but declined to perform the 40-yard dash after having failed to work out at the Combine. His stock also appears to be on the slide.

"Too many plays land at his shoe tops," one evaluator said. "He is not a difference maker. He does not show up consistently in coverage or against the run."

Another evaluator said: "He is a fire chief, not a fireman. He is always looking for everyone else to put out the fire so he does not have to get involved. He made a couple hits in four games, but they were all lined up for him, and they were tackles he had to make."

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Examining the 2010 NFL Draft - CB

Apr 2, 2010

1. Kyle Wilson - Boise State (5'11" 195 lbs)

- Strengths: The best reaction to the ball in this draft. Uses elite agility to stick with any WR, no matter what route it is. The best ball hawk of all CB's for sure. Fluent hips and strong back pedal. Great at baiting QB to throw it towards his direction where he makes much of his interceptions on jumping routes. Incredible break away speed. Excels at press coverage. Good jump ball CB. Elite return man

- Weaknesses: Not the best in run support. Tends to forget to wrap up tackle on players and sort of just throws his body at them. Can be caught gambling too much at times.

- NFL Comparison: Al Harris

- Round Projection: Mid 1st

2. Joe Haden - Florida (5'11" 193 lbs)

- Strengths: Great zone coverage CB. Does not lose ground even though Haden played some off-man coverage. Man coverage is his specialty. Can read the QB really well. Solid in run support and a very good tackler. Incredible lower body control.

- Weaknesses: Doesn't usually knock the ball carrier backwards on tackles. Swats the ball away when he might have had the interception. Late to the ball sometimes after it has been released even when he has good coverage on the WR.

- NFL Comparison: Nate Clements

- Round Projection: Top 10 pick

3. Devin McCourty - Rutgers (5'11" 193 lbs)

- Strengths: Can play on or off the WR. Stays low on his back pedal. Solid at changing direction based on the WR route. Very strong hands. Helps in run support very often. Gets off blocks very, very well. Great return man.

- Weaknesses: Struggles against bigger Wide Receivers. Can get away from the play too often in zone coverages. Needs to bulk up.

- NFL Comparison: Aaron Ross

- Round Projection: 1-2

4. Patrick Robinson - Florida State (5'11" 190 lbs)

- Strengths: A very instinctive Cornerback with elite athleticism. Much better against WR and RB screen passes than people give him credit for. Reads the QB very well. Had a great career in man coverage.

- Weaknesses: Needs work in coverage. Another CB who gambles too often. Loses balance of his back pedal on short come back routes. Not the most physical CB.

- NFL Comparison: Lardarius Webb

- Round Projection: 2

5. Kareem Jackson - Alabama (6'0" 198 lbs)

- Strengths: One of the best at reading what the WR next move will be. Does not get fooled often by WR. Great at jamming the WR right off the snap. Good 1 on 1 tackler. Play maker. Does not back down from any tackle.

- Weaknesses: Not the best down field speed. Tends to get beat across the middle. Needs to get up in the face of his WR on deep routes more often. Late on turning his hips at times.

- NFL Comparison: Marlin Jackson

- Round Projection: 2

Sleeper Pick: Amari Spievey - Iowa

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2010/4 ... l-draft-cb (http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2010/4/2/1398725/examining-the-2010-nfl-draft-cb)

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
this is Pro Football Talk's latest mock, i highly doubt we will pass on Earl Thomas to select Kareem Jackson -

2010 mock draft

Posted by Evan Silva on April 2, 2010

1. Rams: Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma.

A Redskins trade up into the No. 1 spot is a growing possibility, and figures to gain steam as April 22 approaches. We're not bold enough to predict trades, however, and Bradford is presently Rams G.M. Billy Devaney's intended target.

2. Lions: Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle, Nebraska.

With both Suh and Russell Okung bound to be available, draft-day debate is inevitable in Detroit's green room. Protecting 2008 No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford should be a priority in the early rounds, but Suh offers too much value for Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew to pass.

3. Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, defensive tackle, Oklahoma.

The Bucs would likely prefer Suh's superior run-stopping ability, but McCoy will suffice as a consensus top-three player in the draft. He'd provide an immediate upgrade over incumbent three-technique tackle Ryan Sims, who managed one sack in 16 games last season.

4. Redskins: Russell Okung, offensive tackle, Oklahoma State.

The Redskins' lone offensive line addition so far has been 31-year-old journeyman Artis Hicks, who is projected to play right guard. Stephon Heyer would be Washington's left tackle if the season began today, so Mike Shanahan would be smart to draft the best pass protector available.

5. Chiefs: Bryan Bulaga, offensive tackle, Iowa.

Coming from Kirk Ferentz's pro-style system, Bulaga's NFL-ready skill set will appeal to the Chiefs as Matt Cassel enters a make-or-break year. He's due a $7.5 million option bonus in 2011, and G.M. Scott Pioli owes Cassel a chance to succeed with the best supporting cast possible.

6. Seahawks: Anthony Davis, offensive tackle, Rutgers.

C.J. Spiller is also believed to be on Seattle's radar at No. 6, but left tackle is easily Pete Carroll's biggest need on either side of the ball, thanks to ex-G.M. Tim Ruskell's misdoings. Though Davis' offseason has not been stellar, his game tape speaks for itself.

7. Browns: Eric Berry, safety, Tennessee.

Dez Bryant might have been a consideration for president Mike Holmgren's club had he delivered a strong Pro Day. Bryant didn't, so the Browns can solidify their secondary with one of the surest prospects in this year's draft class.

8. Raiders: Trent Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma.

In order for likely new quarterback Donovan McNabb to perform at a high level, the oft-injured 33-year-old will need protection. Williams is a bit of a 'tweener left/right tackle, but he's ready to start on the strong side in year one, and owner Al Davis will love his measurables.

9. Bills: Dan Williams, defensive tackle, Tennessee.

Buffalo's installation of a 3-4 defense won't work without a two-gapping nose tackle to clog the middle and keep offensive guards from taking Paul Posluszny and Andra Davis out of plays. Williams has Vince Wilfork-type potential at 6'2/330 with plenty of quicks and power.

10. Jaguars: Derrick Morgan, defensive end, Georgia Tech.

The Jags' arguably ill-advised signing of Aaron Kampman shouldn't prevent them from taking another pass rusher early after finishing dead last in sack differential. Kampman is recovering from a torn ACL and Jacksonville's other end, Derrick Harvey, provides next to nothing as a pocket pusher.

11. Broncos: Rolando McClain, linebacker, Alabama.

The Broncos have used the offseason to upgrade a front seven that collapsed to embarrassing levels during last year's second half, and should keep at it. Mario Haggan is currently slated to start at "Ted" linebacker, but McClain is much better in coverage with more play-making ability.

12. Dolphins: Dez Bryant, wide receiver, Oklahoma State.

Earl Thomas and Jason Pierre-Paul should be on G.M. Jeff Ireland's radar, but Bryant would fill a glaring need in addition to being the best player available. Bryant would replace Ted Ginn Jr. at split end, with Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, and Greg Camarillo fighting for scraps at flanker and slot receiver.

13: 49ers: Joe Haden, cornerback, Florida.

Haden vaulted his stock back into the top-15 range with a forty time in the mid-4.4s at the Gators' March 17 Pro Day. He would be an immediate starter opposite Shawntae Spencer in San Francisco, allowing Nate Clements to convert to safety and Tarell Brown to stay at nickel back.

14. Seahawks: Kyle Wilson, cornerback, Boise State.

Perhaps the draft's most NFL-ready corner as a four-year starter with the ability to play both zone and man coverage, Wilson won't get out of the top-19 picks. Currently, the Seahawks' only surefire starter in the secondary is CB Marcus Trufant, who's coming off an awful season.

15. Giants: Mike Iupati, offensive guard, Idaho.

The Giants have a better roster than any team that went .500 or worse in 2009, but their front five declined sharply. Iupati's addition would deservedly push LG Rich Seubert to the bench with William Beatty taking over at left tackle and David Diehl replacing Kareem McKenzie on the right.

16. Titans: Jason Pierre-Paul, defensive end, South Florida.

The consensus among evaluators at the Combine and Pierre-Paul's Pro Day was that his best position is end in a 4-3. He offers outrageous upside at 6'5/270 with 4.6 speed and a mammoth wingspan, and the Titans don't have a viable in-house replacement for Kyle Vanden Bosch.

17. 49ers: C.J. Spiller, running back, Clemson.

Spiller deserves to go earlier, but top-15 selections are rarely used on tailbacks, let alone those that don't project to be every-down, 300-carry runners. Spiller would upgrade San Francisco's return units tremendously, and de facto G.M. Trent Baalke has publicly spoken of drafting him.

18. Steelers: Kareem Jackson, cornerback, Alabama.

Jackson was overshadowed by Javier Arenas in Nick Saban's 3-4 defense, but started all three years and ran in the mid- to low-4.4s at the Scouting Combine. Jackson is squarely on the first-round radar, and Pittsburgh's biggest weakness is at cornerback.

19. Falcons: Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Missouri.

The Falcons weren't pleased with Stephen Nicholas' play on the strong side last year, and weak-side 'backer Mike Peterson turns 34 in a couple of months. A tackle machine and proven play-maker, Weatherspoon would be an upgrade over either adjacent to Curtis Lofton.

20. Texans: Ryan Mathews, running back, Fresno State.

Mathews' incredible combination of size, speed, balance, and power compares favorably to that of any running back in the draft. With tons of experience running behind zone blocks under Bulldogs coach Pat Hill, Mathews would also have a smooth transition into Gary Kubiak's scheme.

21. Bengals: Earl Thomas, safety, Texas.

The Bengals are high on Taylor Mays, but a safety of Thomas' caliber will be more difficult to pass on if he falls out of the top 20. Thomas is superior to Mays in terms of ball skills, range, hip fluidity, and man-to-man cover ability.

22. Patriots: Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

Not only do the Pats need receiver help this year, but Randy Moss is 33 years old, entering a contract season, and doesn't expect to re-sign with New England. Thomas, who averaged 25.1 yards per catch last year, is perhaps this draft's most dangerous vertical threat.

23. Packers: Charles Brown, offensive tackle, USC.

G.M. Ted Thompson did well to re-sign Chad Clifton last month, but the longtime Packers left tackle turns 34 before the season and is highly unlikely to hold up for 16 games. Brown fits the mold of a Green Bay lineman with long arms and ideal athleticism for zone blocking.

24. Eagles: Patrick Robinson, cornerback, Florida State.

Philadelphia was highly dissatisfied with its 2009 secondary play, so much so that starting CBs Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel are both available for trade. With Brown reportedly set to move on, Robinson would push Ellis Hobbs for the Birds' starting right corner job, allowing Macho Harris to focus on free safety.

25. Ravens: Jared Odrick, defensive tackle, Penn State.

New addition Cory Redding was initially billed as a likely starter in Baltimore, but the injury-prone underachiever would be better suited to coming off the bench. Odrick, the 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, has a better chance to make an impact as a two-gapping, five-technique end with the ability to collapse the pocket.

26. Cardinals: Jermaine Gresham, tight end, Oklahoma.

The Cards figure to consider Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham, but the former doesn't display ideal initial burst, and the latter is on the squatty side for a 3-4 edge rusher. With Arizona moving to a more run-oriented offense, a tight end like Gresham with in-line blocking experience and pro-ready pass-catching skills is needed.

27. Cowboys: Carlos Dunlap, defensive end, Florida.

The Cowboys assigned a mere original pick tender to restricted free agent Marcus Spears, confirming that they're not especially thrilled with the middling former first-rounder's performance. Dunlap needs a kick in the rear from time to time, but projects as a far superior pass rusher.

28. Chargers: Terrence Cody, defensive tackle, Alabama.

San Diego's most glaring need is at tailback, but G.M. A.J. Smith is unlikely to deem one worthy of this pick barring an unexpected slide by Spiller or Mathews. Nose tackle is next up on the Bolts' list of weaknesses, and Cody is a monster in the middle at 6'4/350.

29. Jets: Sergio Kindle, defensive lineman, Texas.

Kindle's times in the ten-yard split (1.65, 1.70) leave something to be desired, but his versatility will particularly appeal to hybrid defensive teams like the Jets. Kindle was productive throughout his career and has experience at defensive end, multiple linebacker positions, and on special teams.

30: Vikings: Jimmy Clausen, quarterback, Notre Dame.

We're holding firm to our prediction that Clausen - deservedly, or undeservedly -- is in for a draft-day slide. Minnesota would be an ideal situation if he does last until the 30s, however, as a year on the bench behind Brett Favre would humble Clausen and set him up to take over in 2011.

31. Colts: Brandon Graham, defensive end, Michigan.

Unlike 3-4 teams, the Colts are bigger on production than measurables when it comes to pass rushers. Graham's short arms and sub-6'2" height won't turn off club president Bill Polian, who witnessed in the Super Bowl how thin his team is becoming at defensive end.

32: Saints: Everson Griffen, defensive end, USC.

Griffen is being criticized as a workout wonder after managing just eight sacks in 2009 before dominating drills at the Combine and his Pro Day. However, Griffen did pace USC in the statistic, and last year's 9-4 Trojans failed to generate as many pass-rushing opportunities as usual.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ake-three/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/2010-mock-draft-take-three/)

SteelCzar76
04-03-2010, 03:17 PM
As i said in the "Sinking Feeling" thread i believe we will actually end up selecting a vastly overrated Pouncey, Trent Williams, or Mike Iupati,...and will continue to pay for it at least the next several seasons.

However, it will be interesting to see what happens on Draft Day as i firmly believe that Tomlin is not so high on any of the aforementioned players as much as he would absolutely die to bear the love child of CJ Spiller or Sean Weatherspoon.

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
here's who a lot of the current mocks out there have us taking:

CBS Sports/Chad Reuter: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
CBS Sports/Pete Prisco: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
CBS Sports/Rob Rang: Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Don Banks (Sports Illustrated): Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Draft Ace, Mike Iupati: OG, Idaho
Draft Board Insider: Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Draft Breakdown: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Draft Countdown (Scott Wright): Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Draft Daddy: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Draft Guys: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Draft Insider Digest: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Draft Insider.net: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Draft King: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
DraftTek: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Fantasy Football Toolbox: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Footballs Future: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Fox Sports/Peter Schrager: Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Great Blue North: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Heards Football report: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
KFFL: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
National Football Post: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
NBC Sports: Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama
NE Patriots Draft: Earl Thomas, S, Texas
NFL Draft Dog: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
NFL Fanhouse: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
NFL.com - Pat Kirwan: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
NFL.com/Bucky Brooks: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Ourlads, Mike Iupati: OG, Idaho
Pro Football Talk: Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Scout.com: Chris Steuber: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Shutdown Corner: Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
The Football Experts: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Viking Update: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Walter Football: Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

Lebsteel
04-03-2010, 03:50 PM
As long as they are in the top 30 in talent and not named Davis, Pouncey, Iupati or Jackson, I'd be OK....

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
18) Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Reader 2010 NFL Mock Draft Voting Results:
- Mike Iupati: 44.1%
- Earl Thomas: 19.1%
- Dan Williams: 16.2%
- Kyle Wilson: 10.3%
- Maurkice Pouncey: 8.8%
- Devin McCourty: 1.5%
- Taylor Mays: 0%

Reader 2010 NFL Mock Draft Member Comments:

VikingFan173: The Steelers hope this is how the draft plays out. They have Mike Iupati and Maurkice Pouncey two dominant interior lineman and the second-best safety fall to them at No. 18. The Steelers discovered that with Polamalu injured he couldnt cover up some of their pass defense breakdowns, so Thomas would be an amazing tandem with Troy and he would play FS, however the Steelers have struggled running the ball since Tomlin took over so getting a good guard like Pouncey or Iupati is an option. In the end I think they draft Mike Iupati, especially with Ben Roethlisberger's future in doubt they may have to return to a power running offense.

Trisoman: Steelers have always gone with a Best Player Available type draft - Evander Hood being drafted despite massive holes on their O-line proves the point. The problem though is that we don't have the Steelers' big board to work with, so we have to project a little. I'm just gonna say Iupati - the Steelers did resign Ryan Clark and if they don't know it by now, they need to fix that excuse of an offensive line.

Steelers43: I think the suprise pick could be Brandon Graham. James Harrison started to show his age last season, plus he is a smaller guy and the way the LT hang on him its adding up. Pair Woodley and Woodley Jr. (Graham) at oppostite ends and see who can get to the quarterback first. This will also help the secondary.

Dorkvomit: As a diehard Steeler fan, I believe they should draft Earl Thomas for safety depth, they need more talent at the position, when Polamalu went down last season it was a disaster for our secondary; this pick would solidify that position and give us options in case of injury! I would also consider Dan Williams. I'm not a big fan of Iupati, his big weakness is pass protection and we can't afford Ben to get sacked another 50 times this season!

TimakaHines: Interesting situation here. I've been shouting for Earl Thomas for some time now, and would find it hard to see us passing on him at 18. There's a lot to like with his speed and instincts, and I believe the Steelers have him coming in on April 8th and 9th for a visit. I see the philosophy in picking Iupati, but his Senior Bowl performance (the actual game; not practice) did not scream "18th overall" to me.

Lanki: This is a tricky pick because the Steelers took Ziggy Hood last year. Dan Williams is probably the best player available, and I still think he should be the pick with Casey Hampton moving towards the graveyard. However, I do not think he will be. The Steelers just resigned FS Ryan Clark, so they may believe they are set at FS, therefore passing on Earl Thomas.

Although the Steelers drafted G Kraig Urbik last year, I believe this pick comes down to Iupati or Pouncey. Iupati is definitely a better prospect and has a higher ceiling. He also has the size the Steelers are looking for in lineman. Pouncey offers versatility being able to play guard and center. However I ultimately think the Steelers will think Iupati is too good of a prospect to pass up on, making him the selection at 18.

Hellohilo: All hinges on Ben's legal issues having worked out. If they don't, I think the steelers will definitely choose to upgrade their offensive line, as they'll have to worry about a possible replacement quarterback who probably wouldn't perform nearly as well as Ben does behind that line. In that case, it's either Iupati or Pouncey.

Iupati is raw, but he can definitely step in and help the Steelers. Also, if the legal troubles keep Ben out for a significant part of the season, I think it's safe to say the Steelers would be looking more towards next year, in which case that would give Iupati a full season to learn. At the moment, it looks like Ben's status is going to be in limbo for a while, so Iupati is the pick.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010reader_1.php

Lebsteel
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM

VikingFan173: The Steelers hope this is how the draft plays out. They have Mike Iupati and Maurkice Pouncey two dominant interior lineman and the second-best safety fall to them at No. 18. The Steelers discovered that with Polamalu injured he couldnt cover up some of their pass defense breakdowns, so Thomas would be an amazing tandem with Troy and he would play FS, however the Steelers have struggled running the ball since Tomlin took over so getting a good guard like Pouncey or Iupati is an option. In the end I think they draft Mike Iupati, especially with Ben Roethlisberger's future in doubt they may have to return to a power running offense.

Trisoman: Steelers have always gone with a Best Player Available type draft - Evander Hood being drafted despite massive holes on their O-line proves the point. The problem though is that we don't have the Steelers' big board to work with, so we have to project a little. I'm just gonna say Iupati - the Steelers did resign Ryan Clark and if they don't know it by now, they need to fix that excuse of an offensive line.

Steelers43: I think the suprise pick could be Brandon Graham. James Harrison started to show his age last season, plus he is a smaller guy and the way the LT hang on him its adding up. Pair Woodley and Woodley Jr. (Graham) at oppostite ends and see who can get to the quarterback first. This will also help the secondary.

Dorkvomit: As a diehard Steeler fan, I believe they should draft Earl Thomas for safety depth, they need more talent at the position, when Polamalu went down last season it was a disaster for our secondary; this pick would solidify that position and give us options in case of injury! I would also consider Dan Williams. I'm not a big fan of Iupati, his big weakness is pass protection and we can't afford Ben to get sacked another 50 times this season!
TimakaHines: Interesting situation here. I've been shouting for Earl Thomas for some time now, and would find it hard to see us passing on him at 18. There's a lot to like with his speed and instincts, and I believe the Steelers have him coming in on April 8th and 9th for a visit. I see the philosophy in picking Iupati, but his Senior Bowl performance (the actual game; not practice) did not scream "18th overall" to me.

Lanki: This is a tricky pick because the Steelers took Ziggy Hood last year. Dan Williams is probably the best player available, and I still think he should be the pick with Casey Hampton moving towards the graveyard. However, I do not think he will be. The Steelers just resigned FS Ryan Clark, so they may believe they are set at FS, therefore passing on Earl Thomas.

Although the Steelers drafted G Kraig Urbik last year, I believe this pick comes down to Iupati or Pouncey. Iupati is definitely a better prospect and has a higher ceiling. He also has the size the Steelers are looking for in lineman. Pouncey offers versatility being able to play guard and center. However I ultimately think the Steelers will think Iupati is too good of a prospect to pass up on, making him the selection at 18.

Hellohilo: All hinges on Ben's legal issues having worked out. If they don't, I think the steelers will definitely choose to upgrade their offensive line, as they'll have to worry about a possible replacement quarterback who probably wouldn't perform nearly as well as Ben does behind that line. In that case, it's either Iupati or Pouncey.

Iupati is raw, but he can definitely step in and help the Steelers. Also, if the legal troubles keep Ben out for a significant part of the season, I think it's safe to say the Steelers would be looking more towards next year, in which case that would give Iupati a full season to learn. At the moment, it looks like Ben's status is going to be in limbo for a while, so Iupati is the pick.

I like the comment from SFL's (DeeDub) old buddy S43 and the other two Steeler fans who apprently know their stuff. :tt1

BlackJackGold
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Ray-Ray plea bargained and agreed to testify against someone else.

Who is ben going to give up?

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Willie Colon did it! :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 04:10 AM

Willie Colon did it! :wink:

yeah, no wonder Willie Colon left early! :lol:

Oviedo
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
As i said in the "Sinking Feeling" thread i believe we will actually end up selecting a vastly overrated Pouncey, Trent Williams, or Mike Iupati,...and will continue to pay for it at least the next several seasons.

However, it will be interesting to see what happens on Draft Day as i firmly believe that Tomlin is not so high on any of the aforementioned players as much as he would absolutely die to bear the love child of CJ Spiller or Sean Weatherspoon.

As much as it fightens me to agree with you I have to in this case. Selecting Pouncey would be a disaster. I could understand and live with Iupati or Williams because Iupati may be able to grow into a OT and with Colon's situation unresolved Williams could be the LT of the future.

Spiller would as noted frequently be my dream selection. Here is another quote today's PG that will spin up many on this board:

Forget the safety from Southern California, Taylor Mays. Mike Tomlin does not like him, not high in the draft anyway. He put up good numbers at the combine, but not good performances during last season. Remember what Deion Sanders said about Mays? He's right on as far as the Steelers are concerned. Here is a safety Tomlin does like: Kam Chancellor of Virginia Tech, a big man at 6-3, 231. He's not a first-rounder, but then the Steelers no longer have an interest in drafting a safety on the first round.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10094/10 ... z0kJujMn01 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10094/1047802-66.stm#ixzz0kJujMn01)

ramblinjim
04-06-2010, 08:42 AM

Does anyone have this from last year? I wonder how many had us taking Ziggy Hood (besides Ed Bouchette) ?? If history serves as an exhample, most of us are going to to watch the draft in a couple of weeks and think "Hmmmmmmmmmm........"

Oviedo
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM

I like the comment from SFL's (DeeDub) old buddy S43 and the other two Steeler fans who apprently know their stuff. :tt1

Graham would be my choice. He would be an awesome addition.

WoodleyofTroy
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Does anyone have this from last year? I wonder how many had us taking Ziggy Hood (besides Ed Bouchette) ?? If history serves as an exhample, most of us are going to to watch the draft in a couple of weeks and think "Hmmmmmmmmmm........"

True, but we are picking #18 now. Where guys like Alex Mack and Eric Wood won't be picked yet (Iupati / Pouncey).

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
April 6

(9:00 AM): A couple of interior defensive linemen in Tennessee NT Dan Williams and Penn State DT Jared Odrick are moving up draft boards.

Odrick may be the more surprising late entry, but he is in fact is one of nine players who have been invited to New York to attend the draft and according to a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer is starting to get a lot of consideration from 3-4 teams looking for a DE. Indeed, according to a report in the Plain Dealer, Odrick is getting some serious consideration from Cleveland for the 7th pick overall, although the Browns are still expected to go with a defensive back, either Tennessee safety Eric Berry, if he is available, Texas safety Earl Thomas or Florida CB Joe Haden.

Meanwhile, Williams is also gaining traction among 3-4 teams, but with those looking for a rock-solid NT and could also go much earlier than originally projected with Miami at #12 and Pittsburgh at #18 real possibilities….

http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
and we just brought Earl Thomas in for an official visit -

Steelers show interest in Earl Thomas

Two Steelers representatives attended the pro day of Earl Thomas and it is looking more and more like he could be the best option at the 18th pick in the draft.

Barring anyone outrageous falling to the Steelers at the 18th pick, Thomas provides the best mix of value and need for the Steelers. He would be the perfect fit next to Troy Polamalu because of his range, instincts and ball skills. More importantly, Thomas is so dynamic that he can also play corner. The Steelers could put Thomas at corner in place of William Gay until Ryan Clark retires.

Thomas is a bit under-sized, but physicals are always over-estimated by NFL scouts; Thomas can be an elite player in this league and that would give the Steelers one of the scariest defensive backfields in football.

All in all, just be happy it is not Taylor Mays.

http://www.blackandgoldblog.com/