PDA

View Full Version : No FA love for Parker

Shawn
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM
So what does the lack of interest tell us Steeler fans? I mean teams are even going out of their way to deny interest in Parker. http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6809

Most telling this statement by the Bucs...

On Wednesday, the high-ranking Bucs official attempted to deny any interest in Parker, telling PewterReport.com, "We have never reached out in any capacity to Willie Parker."

This coming from a team who ranked 23rd in rushing.

So, what should we derive from this...

1) NFL teams are smarter than many Steeler fans. :D
2) Parker's game is mad whack.
3) Teams don't want a one trick pony who lost his one trick.
4) No team will ever start Parker barring injury.
5) That being a "good guy" and a "team player" doesn't get you far in the NFL.

My prediction?

Parker comes back to the Burgh...tail tucked realizing we were not treating him unfairly. Hopefully, he can totally heal...gain that speed back...and we can use him sporatically late in games against tired Ds.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2010, 12:27 AM
So what does the lack of interest tell us Steeler fans? I mean teams are even going out of their way to deny interest in Parker. http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6809

On Wednesday, the high-ranking Bucs official attempted to deny any interest in Parker, telling PewterReport.com, "We have never reached out in any capacity to Willie Parker."

My prediction?

Parker comes back to the Burgh...tail tucked realizing we were not treating him unfairly. Hopefully, he can totally heal...gain that speed back...and we can use him sporatically late in games against tired Ds.

re-signing Willie would save us a draft choice, he could still be effective in a back-up role.

how about a 2 years, $3.5 million contract and we'll even get a blocking FB for you. :tt2

Shawn
03-20-2010, 12:39 AM

My prediction?

re-signing Willie would save us a draft choice, he could still be effective in a back-up role.

how about a 2 years, $3.5 million contract and we'll even get a blocking FB for you. :tt2

I'm not crazy about bringing Parker back because I think we need a short yardage back. But, I would bring him back for vet minimum and depth. I also think he runs better with a chip on his shoulder from the bench. But, I still want Gerhart.

costanza2k1
03-20-2010, 01:05 AM
My prediction he'll sign a low ball offer with another team "to prove" that he still has it. He'll end up getting cut year 2 for some late round draft pick and then try to come back to the Steelers only to realize that we drafted a replacement for him already...sad stuff actually. I respect everything this guy did for us especially in SB XL...those were the days when you knew that if he had any bit of crease he was gone all the way.

DukieBoy
03-20-2010, 04:23 PM

My prediction?

A one-cut runner with not alot of "vision" benefits greatly from a lead blocker.

ANPSTEEL
03-20-2010, 06:19 PM

My prediction?

A one-cut runner with not alot of "vision" benefits greatly from a lead blocker.

I was really surprised Shanahan didn't sign him in DC-

I guess the lack of pass catching ability really hurt him.

Chadman
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Got no problem bringing Parker back as the #2. Steelers will still need a short yardage back, but they could then leave that until a Charles Scott type is available (Round 5ish) instead of drafting a RB early. Parker is a fine back-up, so long as the OL can block effectively.

Hmm......if only the Steelers had a good run blocking RG......

SteelCrazy
03-20-2010, 10:00 PM
What some here don't realize is Parker is after a starters job and only recently tucked his tail for a back-up role possibilty with the Rams. Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league. I hope we can get him at a fair price.

NKySteeler
03-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league.

The problem is that he has not PROVEN that fact over the last year...

... Yes, he had great numbers (some can be disputed, and some cannot) before he had the major injury... But the fact that he did not come out and prove his "healthiness" or his ability to do the same thing has hurt him in the eyes of those making the contract decisions.

Can he do it? Could he do it?.... It's a big "variable" at this point.

Personally, I believe he is in a system that cannot utilize him correctly. I am not sure that we can gameplan accordingly to best use his talents.

.... Yes, I know it has been said, and all of you can trash on me, but I do not think Arians can appropriately use him in his system.

For those of you that are already complaining and spring-loaded to jump down my back, why do they use the patented "run right" play to start every game? Why does Arians continue to run him inside when it is obvious that his biggest gains/numbers are from the outside?.... I could go on and on...

I do not "dislike" Parker, but I do think he has not been used in the most efficient manner in recent years... That, combined with the doubt after the injury makes him very expendable IMO.

Shawn
03-20-2010, 11:34 PM
What some here don't realize is Parker is after a starters job and only recently tucked his tail for a back-up role possibilty with the Rams. Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league. I hope we can get him at a fair price.

For those that prefer a homerun hitter but doesn't consistantly move chains I will concede difference of opinion. I have always believed that a back able to crank out 3-6 yards consistantly sets up the passing game...putting the passing game in good situations instead of third and longs. But, if you believe otherwise fair enough.

With that said, Parker really only had two good seasons 2005 and 2006. Some will argue 2007 but he only averaged 4.1 per carry. He has had two very bad seasons since. There are alot of questions concerning his speed. He has lost more than a step...and that's all he ever really had. He could never consistantly move chains and was never a threat in the passing game. Some have warm fuzzies over 2005. In 2005 playoffs (all 4 games) 45% of Parker's runs ended in 1 yard or less. He puts the O in tough spots even at his best. And as someone stated before he can only run behind a good FB who can pick his holes for him.

The Steelers would have re-signed him. He chose to leave. He is now seeing that the Steelers were not treating him unfairly.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Rams | Will continue to talk with Parker's agent

Sat, 20 Mar 2010

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams will continue to talk with Douglas Henderickson, agent for unrestricted free-agent RB Willie Parker (Steelers), next week about a potential contract.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#633831#ixzz0imbTggi0

NorthCoast
03-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Problem for Parker is that most teams know even if he is the feature back, given his recent health issues, you almost have to have another top-tier back waiting on the bench for when Parker goes down. I don't think he will finish a season without missing a few games....such is the life of an NFL running back...

frankthetank1
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
parker was great last season as a back up behind mendy. it would be stupid if the steelers were not interested in bringing him back for cheap money. it would be stupid for parker to sign with a team like the rams. parker would get more carries as a back up to mendy opposed to steven jackson. i hope we can get a big rb because since bettis retired the steelers short yardage has been awful. re-building the o-line is a good part of the equasion but i dont think mendy is a great short yardage rb. i really wish we would get a good fb but i dont know if that will ever happen under the arians regime

williar
03-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I have seen enough of Willie Parker. Would I be mad if we resigned him? A little. Scat-backs like him are a dime a dozen. It's time to upgrade......

frankthetank1
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I have seen enough of Willie Parker. Would I be mad if we resigned him? A little. Scat-backs like him are a dime a dozen. It's time to upgrade......

he was very productive as a back up though. it is very possible to draft a rb and have a drop off in production. unless the steelers are planning on not signing parker and drafting CJ Spiller in which case i would be ecstatic!! you need 3 rb's that are capable of carrying the load in case of injury.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
[quote="hawaiiansteel"]Rams | Will continue to talk with Parker's agent

Sat, 20 Mar 2010

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams will continue to talk with Douglas Henderickson, agent for unrestricted free-agent RB Willie Parker (Steelers), next week about a potential contract.

Willie Parker wants to be a Ram

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2010

Free agent running back Willie Parker is still waiting to find out where he'll play in 2010.

But he'd like it to be in St. Louis.

"Willie enjoyed the visit, enjoyed the coaches and the people he met," Parker's agent, Douglas Hendrickson, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of his visit with the Rams. "He liked the possibility of teaming up with Steven Jackson in the backfield."

But Parker left St. Louis without a contract offer, and it's unclear how much the Rams like the possibility of teaming up Parker and Jackson.

Parker has played his entire six-year career with the Steelers. He's coming off a season in which he carried just 98 times for 389 yards, and he'll turn 30 in November.

fezziwig
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't mind having Wilie return to the Steelers. Good insurance policy.

Shawn
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
parker was great last season as a back up behind mendy. it would be stupid if the steelers were not interested in bringing him back for cheap money. it would be stupid for parker to sign with a team like the rams. parker would get more carries as a back up to mendy opposed to steven jackson. i hope we can get a big rb because since bettis retired the steelers short yardage has been awful. re-building the o-line is a good part of the equasion but i dont think mendy is a great short yardage rb. i really wish we would get a good fb but i dont know if that will ever happen under the arians regime

He was? He only averaged 4 yards a carry and no TDs. I would call that far from great.

frankthetank1
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM

He was? He only averaged 4 yards a carry and no TDs. I would call that far from great.

how many td's did mendy have? not much for a starting rb. the redzone offense was pathetic and it wasnt all mendy and parker's fault. for a back up rb spelling mendy 4 yards per carry isnt too bad. maybe not great but its good. if the steelers drafted spiller or gerhart they could get the same production. i just hope they dont sign some fa retred like a ryan moats. if they dont get a top rb in this draft then they should re-sign parker for cheap money

Shawn
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM

how many td's did mendy have? not much for a starting rb. the redzone offense was pathetic and it wasnt all mendy and parker's fault. for a back up rb spelling mendy 4 yards per carry isnt too bad. maybe not great but its good. if the steelers drafted spiller or gerhart they could get the same production. i just hope they dont sign some fa retred like a ryan moats. if they dont get a top rb in this draft then they should re-sign parker for cheap money

Mendy averaged 4.7 yards a pop. Mendy is the man. But, we need better interior blocking...so Iupati is growing on me. Not to mention a beast like Gerhart or Blount. Parker and his no vision no power no hands game needs to go to the Rams. We need a 1 a and a 1b....not a #1 and a guy who few teams are interested in.

cruzer8
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't understand the revisionist history when it comes to Parker. He'd make a fine back up to Mendenhall at this point. I hope he comes back.

Sugar
03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't understand the revisionist history when it comes to Parker. He'd make a fine back up to Mendenhall at this point. I hope he comes back.

I really wouldn't be shocked to see Willie back in a Steeler uniform after all is said and done.

Steel Life
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
It's time to move on...besides, Parker is not happy about the way he was (or not used) last season, so I doubt he'll be coming back.

Shawn
03-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Revisionist history? Am I making something up? Please elaborate. WP breaking off some big runs in 2005 do not translate to the 2010 version of WP. We can agree to disagree about the traits important in a running back but you can't disagree with the fact that he hasn't been remotely productive in 2 years. I don't see how he will help our red zone woes or help us control the ball late in games. Those are our issues...and Parker's "skill set" are not condusive to helping in those areas.

cruzer8
03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Revisionist history? Am I making something up? Please elaborate. WP breaking off some big runs in 2005 do not translate to the 2010 version of WP. We can agree to disagree about the traits important in a running back but you can't disagree with the fact that he hasn't been remotely productive in 2 years. I don't see how he will help our red zone woes or help us control the ball late in games. Those are our issues...and Parker's "skill set" are not condusive to helping in those areas.

I'm referring to the comments about him not being able to break tackles, not having any vision and not being able to catch the ball.

While his is no Mike Alstott, there are plenty of highlights of Parker breaking tackles. While he is no Barry Sanders, there are plenty of highlights of Parker cutting back with nothing there and making something out of it.

Re: Catching passes - Mendenhall had 25 receptions last season. Parker had 23 in 2007. The Steelers simply don't throw the ball to the RB that often. They haven't for a long time. Perhaps that will change? Who's to say. But history shows the Steelers just haven't thrown to the RB all that much for many years.

Ghost
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Sweed, a head case bust, gets more love on this board then Parker.

feltdizz
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Sweed, a head case bust, gets more love on this board then Parker.
:Agree but you have to remember Sweed has huge upside and he was a second rounder. He gets more love then Timmons as well on here.

AngryAsian
03-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Parker was a great back for a couple of seasons and was instrumental in attaining "one for the thumb."... but he's not been productive in years. I don't think he can be viable in what we're trying to accomplish.... maybe as a change of pace back, but nothing more. He can't catch, he can't bash the line between the tackles and from my recollection, he needs a running head start and a lead blocker to the outside to showcase his talent.

Shawn
03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm referring to the comments about him not being able to break tackles, not having any vision and not being able to catch the ball.

While his is no Mike Alstott, there are plenty of highlights of Parker breaking tackles. While he is no Barry Sanders, there are plenty of highlights of Parker cutting back with nothing there and making something out of it.

Re: Catching passes - Mendenhall had 25 receptions last season. Parker had 23 in 2007. The Steelers simply don't throw the ball to the RB that often. They haven't for a long time. Perhaps that will change? Who's to say. But history shows the Steelers just haven't thrown to the RB all that much for many years.

Ehh I think you are stretching a bit. First, there was an article speaking about Parker's hands and his inability to turn and catch a ball properly. This was a couple years back. There was even a comment from one of the coaches about it. I wish I had a link but like I said it was a couple years ago. He has had only two seasons where he broke 20 receptions and only 3 where he broke 150 yards. Mendenhall last season caught 25 balls for 260+ yards...not bad for his first starting season. But, I expect more from him in that area this season.

As for power well like I said before...in 2005 during the playoffs...Parker ran 45% of the time for one yard or less. While I'm not saying he was a porcelin doll...he certainly isn't known for being a tough between the tackles runner. He has some ability to break tackles but certainly doesn't do so consistantly enough to move sticks.

As for vision...I don't think it's a coincidence that Parker ran his best behind a FB who picked his holes for him. For his first two seasons I watched him miss hole after hole to run up the back side of one of his linemen. In Parkers good playing years he was a threat...but only as a speed back...one dimensional speed back.

Shawn
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Parker was a great back for a couple of seasons and was instrumental in attaining "one for the thumb."... but he's not been productive in years. I don't think he can be viable in what we're trying to accomplish.... maybe as a change of pace back, but nothing more. He can't catch, he can't bash the line between the tackles and from my recollection, he needs a running head start and a lead blocker to the outside to showcase his talent.

$$$

stlrz d
03-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Ehh I think you are stretching a bit. First, there was an article speaking about Parker's hands and his inability to turn and catch a ball properly. This was a couple years back. There was even a comment from one of the coaches about it. I wish I had a link but like I said it was a couple years ago. He has had only two seasons where he broke 20 receptions and only 3 where he broke 150 yards. Mendenhall last season caught 25 balls for 260+ yards...not bad for his first starting season. But, I expect more from him in that area this season.

As for power well like I said before...in 2005 during the playoffs...Parker ran 45% of the time for one yard or less. While I'm not saying he was a porcelin doll...he certainly isn't known for being a tough between the tackles runner. He has some ability to break tackles but certainly doesn't do so consistantly enough to move sticks.

As for vision...I don't think it's a coincidence that Parker ran his best behind a FB who picked his holes for him. For his first two seasons I watched him miss hole after hole to run up the back side of one of his linemen. In Parkers good playing years he was a threat...but only as a speed back...one dimensional speed back.

He can't catch like a WR, but not many backs can. Wish I had saved my post from the trib forum on catches by Steelers' RBs. You have to go all the way back to John L. for any serious numbers at that position.

Parker ran his best inside when following a FB. And that was because someone was taking out a big body so he had room to run. He's not Bettis. Heck, even Bettis had some of his best games with a FB in front of him.

Shawn
03-26-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm actually shocked that so many fans like Parker. He clearly had many deficits in his game but many fans love him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm actually shocked that so many fans like Parker. He clearly had many deficits in his game but many fans love him.

It could just be rooting for underdog undrafted free agents. You tend to think of any production that you get from UDFA's as a bonus, so you root for guys like Willie Parker, James Harrison, Dan Kreider, etc. who are successful in spite of the odds being stacked up against them from the start. However, I found the seething hatred for Nate Washington by many to be puzzling. He was a productive player that we found at freaking Tiffin, but many wanted to dump him as soon as humanly possible. Never really understood that perspective.

stlrz d
03-26-2010, 07:44 AM

It could just be rooting for underdog undrafted free agents. You tend to think of any production that you get from UDFA's as a bonus, so you root for guys like Willie Parker, James Harrison, Dan Kreider, etc. who are successful in spite of the odds being stacked up against them from the start. However, I found the seething hatred for Nate Washington by many to be puzzling. He was a productive player that we found at freaking Tiffin, but many wanted to dump him as soon as humanly possible. Never really understood that perspective.

Ranks right up there with the people who still dislike the QB who's largely responsible for our 2 most recent titles. And I'm talking dislike for him ON the field, not OFF of it.

Steel Life
03-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Because of those players you mention is one reason UDFA's like to come here - they know they'll get a shot to compete. And you're right, the love/hate dynamic for Nate was weird, but he's an All-Star compared to Sweed...thank god for Wallace.