PDA

View Full Version : Art Rooney: We will not open the season in New Orleans

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Art Rooney: We will not open the season in New Orleans

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 18, 2010

The Steelers will not be part of the NFL's opening game in New Orleans, according to Steelers president Art Rooney. The Steelers will open at home.

"We won't be playing in New Orleans," Rooney declared Thursday to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule. Unless they wanted to play us away three weeks in a row, and I don't think they'll do that."

PFT has confirmed there is a professional baseball team in Pittsburgh called the Pirates. :lol:

If Rooney is right, then ESPN won't get their original reported wish of a possible Ravens-Steelers game in Baltimore. The game could conceivably be played in Pittsburgh, but it doesn't make sense to put Ben Roethlisberger on a showcase game to start the season.

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2010, 10:26 PM

The Steelers will not be part of the NFL's opening game in New Orleans, according to Steelers president Art Rooney. The Steelers will open at home.

"We won't be playing in New Orleans," Rooney declared Thursday to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule. Unless they wanted to play us away three weeks in a row, and I don't think they'll do that."

PFT has confirmed there is a professional baseball team in Pittsburgh called the Pirates. :lol:

If Rooney is right, then ESPN won't get their original reported wish of a possible Ravens-Steelers game in Baltimore. The game could conceivably be played in Pittsburgh, but it doesn't make sense to put Ben Roethlisberger on a showcase game to start the season.

i've been a Pirates fan since i was a kid, does anyone have any encouraging words that the Pirates will ever be good again? how many years has this youth movement now lasted?

JTP53609
03-19-2010, 11:53 AM

i've been a Pirates fan since i was a kid, does anyone have any encouraging words that the Pirates will ever be good again? how many years has this youth movement now lasted?

maybe a 5 year plan would work, thats what they need...or a new ballpark, if we do that than we are set..

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
steelershotline.com
3/18/10

The NFL will announce soon what two teams will open the 2010 season in September on a Thursday night. Much has been made that with the New Orleans Saints on the schedule of the Pittsburgh Steelers that would be the game of choice. It makes sense. Ratings for a game to open a new season between the last two Super Bowl winning teams would probably go through the roof. But according to the Steelers team President Art Rooney II, the Steelers will open at home. What Rooney told the press follows.

“We won't be playing in New Orleans. We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule. Unless they wanted to play us away three weeks in a row, and I don't think they'll do that. We suspect we'll open at home and be on the road the next two weeks.”

What did Rooney think about a Mike Tomlin extension and the addition of a handful of free agent signings recently?

“We'll get there when we get there. We think and hope Mike will be a coach here for a long time. That's about all I can say about it. We feel good about it, real good about it. I think we got a number of guys who can come in and help us. I think there are guys who will be on the field. Some may be on the field more on special teams, but Larry Foote is a guy who can play. I think he'll see a lot of playing time. I think we are stronger than when we first started this.”

Naturally, Rooney will be at next week’s owners meetings. He tackled some subjects on the table:

Safety changes: “I think it's something we need to continue to look at. There are areas we can do better in. By the same token, I'm not sure we need dramatic changes at this point. Hopefully, we're talking more about little tweaks to the rules rather than major changes.”

Overtime: “We've been for a change in the rule since we first started discussing it a few years ago. I guess I'm happy it's on the agenda. I'm not sure I'm excited what the proposal is. It sounds to me like they may be making it more complicated than necessary.”

As for Ben Roethlisberger, you might be wondering what stance the Steelers are taking on Big Ben’s situation. Rooney also answered that question.

“I mean look, that's one of the things, we do have a little bit of luxury of time. If we were at a different point in the year we may have to be thinking and doing something different. But at the moment, I think we're in a situation we're going to let this investigation play out and then go from there. I can't speculate on it. The situation is under investigation, and I really don't think it would be appropriate for us to discuss it while that investigation is going on.”

The focus this week has on been draft preparation. Anyone can guess as to what position we will draft at in the first round and beyond, but that hasn’t stopped the Steelers’ coaching staff and scouts from traveling and looking at possible future talent.

TallyStiller
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM

I play in several keeper fantasy baseball leagues and keep up with the up and coming minor league talent... for the first time in YEARS, the Pirates seem to have players down on the farm that others are watching. Some have come through the draft - new ownership has demonstrated a willingness to spend, so we actually take top players now, rather than focusing solely on signability, and others have come through the trades. I may be the only person in the Pirates' long suffering fan base to APPROVE of every single deal they made last summer - they locked on to top talent in every single farm system. They stole a TREMENDOUS arm from San Fran for Freddy Sanchez, got a top 5 in the system prospect from Atlanta for McLouth.

I live in Florida and watched the Rays build their system. This is how they did it. Pirates' management finally seems to have a clue. The PNC Beer Garden may some day be a place where people go to watch a respectable baseball team play, and it could be sooner than we think.

TallyStiller
03-19-2010, 07:10 PM
IF Ben is playing at the time, it would occur to me that starting him out on the road could result in Barry Bonds style treatment... would seem to me that the league would be happier burying the PR black eye in week 2 at 1 PM, leaving the Steelers out of prime time more this year in general.

That said, one wonders if this case could end up getting ugly for Pig Ben, in which case a Steelers team with Dennis Dixon starting isn't terribly attractive either.

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Steelers await opening opponent

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 19, 2010

All, it seems, that is left for the Steelers when it comes to their 2010 season opener is finding out their opponent.

Team president Art Rooney II said Thursday that he expects the Steelers to open the season Sept. 12 at Heinz Field.

There had been speculation that the Steelers would visit the New Orleans Saints on Sept. 9 for a Thursday night game featuring the last two Super Bowl winners.

"We won't be playing in New Orleans," Rooney said. "We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule."

The Steelers and Pirates stagger their home schedules when their seasons overlap because of how close Heinz Field and PNC Park are to one another.

If the Steelers open the NFL season on the road, they wouldn't have a home game until the third week of the season because of the Pirates' schedule.

That is why Rooney said he anticipates the Steelers opening the 2010 season at home.

Rooney said there is a possibility that the Steelers' home opener will be played on Sunday night.

Prime-time games for the first week of the season will be announced next week at the annual NFL owners' meetings.

NOTHING NEW ON TOMLIN CONTRACT

Reiterating what he said in January, Rooney is hopeful that the Steelers and coach Mike Tomlin will reach an agreement on a contract extension.

Rooney said he just doesn't know when that will happen.

"I think we'll get there when we get there," Rooney said. "We think and hope Mike will be the coach here for a long time. That's about the most I can say about it."

The Steelers traditionally extend the contract of their head coach two years before it expires.

Tomlin, the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl, is in the third year of a five-year deal he signed in January of 2007.

SIMPLIFY CHANGE TO OT?

Rooney said he is pleased overtime is on the agenda for the owners' meetings next week in Orlando, Fla.

But he questioned whether the recommendation by the NFL competition committee is a little too convoluted.

The competition committee has proposed both teams getting one possession before sudden death unless the team that wins the coin toss scores a touchdown on its first possession. In addition, the recommendation only applies to postseason games.

Rooney said the Steelers have favored both teams getting at least one possession in overtime before it goes to sudden death.

"It sounds to me like they might be making it more complicated than necessary," Rooney said.

The recommendation by the competition committee, Rooney said, can be amended before it is voted on by the owners. Rules changes need 75 percent of the vote to pass.

THUMBS UP TO SIGNINGS

Rooney said the Steelers improved themselves with the unusually aggressive approach to free agency that they took this year.

The Steelers signed five free agents, including linebacker Larry Foote and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

"I was glad we were able to get those guys," Rooney said.

The Steelers also locked up two of their free agents, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark, with long-term deals.

"I think we are stronger than when we first started (free agency)," Rooney said.

pfelix73
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Sunday 1:00 games suit me just fine.

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2010, 03:50 PM

I play in several keeper fantasy baseball leagues and keep up with the up and coming minor league talent... for the first time in YEARS, the Pirates seem to have players down on the farm that others are watching. Some have come through the draft - new ownership has demonstrated a willingness to spend, so we actually take top players now, rather than focusing solely on signability, and others have come through the trades. I may be the only person in the Pirates' long suffering fan base to APPROVE of every single deal they made last summer - they locked on to top talent in every single farm system. They stole a TREMENDOUS arm from San Fran for Freddy Sanchez, got a top 5 in the system prospect from Atlanta for McLouth.

I live in Florida and watched the Rays build their system. This is how they did it. Pirates' management finally seems to have a clue. The PNC Beer Garden may some day be a place where people go to watch a respectable baseball team play, and it could be sooner than we think.

now if the Pirates will actually hold onto their young talent and not trade that prospect away the first time he wants a big contract...seems like every time the fruit ripens on the tree we sell it away.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Sunday 1:00 games suit me just fine.

:tt1

Me too. Travelling to Pittsburgh for prime time games is inconvenient. They can schedule all the prime time away games they want, but I'd like to play our entire home slate on Sundays at 1:00 (solely for my own selfish reasons).

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Key 2010 games are expected to be announced on Monday

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2010

Though the official 2010 regular-season schedule won't be unveiled until April, the annual league meetings traditionally feature a partial lifting of the tarp.

Specifically, we'll learn -- most likely on Monday -- the participants in the prime-time games to be played during Week One and the three games to be played on Thanksgiving.

We already know that the season will begin with the Saints hosting a game on Thursday, September 9. With Steelers president Art Rooney II saying last week that his team won't be the road team, the only other compelling opponent on the Superdome slate is the Vikings.

The early Monday night game will be hosted by the Jets. If recent trends hold, it will be an AFC East foe. Our guess is that it'll be the Dolphins.

The late Monday night game, if history applies, will feature a West Coast team hosting a division rival. We think the Seahawks would be the best choice, given Pete Carroll's return to the NFL. The 49ers or the Cardinals would be the most likely opponents. We'll guess Cardinals, given that likely Arizona quarterback Matt Leinart played for Carroll at USC.

For Thanksgiving, the Jets reportedly will host the prime-time game, which means that the Lions will host the Patriots in the first contest of the day. The Cowboys will host the late afternoon game. We think the visiting team will be the Bears -- we'd prefer that it be the Saints.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... on-monday/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/key-2010-games-will-be-announced-on-monday/)