PDA

View Full Version : Hey wait a minute!

Dee Dub
03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
The Chargers were able to get a swap of second round picks (moving up some 20 spots to 40th), plus a 3rd round pick in 2011 for Charlie Whitehurst who is 27 years old and has never thrown a pass in a regular season NFL game???

I wonder what the Steelers could get for a younger Dennis Dixon who actually played very well in his NFL debut game this past year???

Any thoughts?

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
The Chargers were able to get a swap of second round picks (moving up some 20 spots to 40th), plus a 3rd round pick in 2011 for Charlie Whitehurst who is 27 years old and has never thrown a pass in a regular season NFL game???

I wonder what the Steelers could get for a younger Dennis Dixon who actually played very well in his NFL debut game this past year???

Any thoughts?

We need to keep him, Ben takes to many hits on the field and with the off field issues hanging there I think it is in the Stillers best interests to hold on to Double D. Besides Dixon has a very high ceiling, IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I think we might need Dixon this year due to Ben taking so many hits and his, ahem, other potential issues. I'd rather have a quality backup QB ourselves than trading away our backup for draft compensation at this time (in the future, sure...Dixon could possibly get us a greater return than was spent on him, which was a 5th round pick).

Dee Dub
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
If these Byron Leftwich coming back to the Steelers rumors are true....then who is the #2 and who is the #3 QB?

I'd think Leftwich is brought back to be the #2 and if that is the case why so much need for a #3 when we can get something of value back??

Getting another high pick could mean the Steelers being able to draft both Weatherspoon and Odrick? Or Weatherspoon and Pouncey. Or Thomas and fill in the blank. And I think that is of greater value to the Steelers than a #3 QB on the roster who may hardly ever play.

Think about it.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
If these Byron Leftwich coming back to the Steelers rumors are true....then who is the #2 and who is the #3 QB?

I'd think Leftwich is brought back to be the #2 and if that is the case why so much need for a #3 when we can get something of value back??

Getting another high pick could mean the Steelers being able to draft both Weatherspoon and Odrick? Or Weatherspoon and Pouncey. Or Thomas and fill in the blank. And I think that is of greater value to the Steelers than a #3 QB on the roster who may hardly ever play.

Think about it.

The Bucs may hold onto Leftwich until after the draft, or possibly even into training camp, because they did not need to cut him at the start of free agency (the amount of playing time he got last season was not enough to trigger a $3.5 million bonus that would have been due at the start of the free agency period). I think Leftwich will eventually be available but it may not be until the last minute, which should not be a huge issue for us since he already knows our system. If we traded Dixon after getting Leftwich, it would be for 2011 draft compensation, since the 2010 draft will have already been completed. At that point, you might as well keep Dixon for this season and possibly trade him for 2011 draft compensation after the 2010 season is over.

Dee Dub
03-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Think about it.

The Bucs may hold onto Leftwich until after the draft, or possibly even into training camp, because they did not need to cut him at the start of free agency (the amount of playing time he got last season was not enough to trigger a $3.5 million bonus that would have been due at the start of the free agency period). I think Leftwich will eventually be available but it may not be until the last minute, which should not be a huge issue for us since he already knows our system. If we traded Dixon after getting Leftwich, it would be for 2011 draft compensation, since the 2010 draft will have already been completed. At that point, you might as well keep Dixon for this season and possibly trade him for 2011 draft compensation after the 2010 season is over.

Why ya gotta put a wrench in my fantasy like that??? :P

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2gdu7yvm]If these Byron Leftwich coming back to the Steelers rumors are true....then who is the #2 and who is the #3 QB?

Think about it.

Why ya gotta put a wrench in my fantasy like that??? :P[/quote:2gdu7yvm]

Okay then...trade a 7th for Leftwich now and then trade Dixon for a 3rd. Does that get your fantasy juices flowing again? :P

Lebsteel
03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey, here's a thought....what could we get for Ben? Priceless? Maybe so....but, what if he sat down with the FO and said "Stuff it, I'm going to live my life the way I want to and you can't tell me what to do..."

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
It was a heck of a trade for the Chargers, by the way. Not only do they get a 3rd round pick next year (which is what they spent to get Whitehurst in the first place), moving up 20 spots in the second round is HUGE.

The two most gaping holes on the Chargers' roster are at RB after they let LaDainian Tomlinson go to the Jets and at NT after they let Jamal Williams go to the Broncos. I was torn about whether they would take Fresno State RB Ryan Matthews at #28, or Alabama NT Terrence Cody at #28.

If they took Matthews at #28, then it is likely that both Cody and Cam Thomas would be gone by their next pick at #60 (who is next best NT? Troup?). If they took Cody at #28, then Matthews and Jahvid Best would be gone by their next pick at #60 (who is the next best RB? Tate? Gerhart? Dwyer? Dixon? Hardesty? McKnight? They wouldn't take McCluster since they already have Sproles.).

Before this trade, I was leaning toward them taking Cody at #28 and the best available RB at #60, because there is more depth at RB than at NT. But after this trade, though, I think they would be better off taking Matthews at #28, then hoping for Cody at #40 (or if not, Cam Thomas...I can't see them both being gone by the time the 8th pick of the second round rolls around). Of course, they could still take Cody at #28, then hope for Matthews or Jahvid Best at #40. Coming away with both Ryan Matthews and Terrence Cody in this draft would be a coup for them, and this trade makes it possible.

cruzer8
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey, here's a thought....what could we get for Ben? Priceless? Maybe so....but, what if he sat down with the FO and said "Stuff it, I'm going to live my life the way I want to and you can't tell me what to do..."

Here's a thought...what if we just keep our 28 years young, 2x SB winning franchise QB and stop with all the silly talk?

Oviedo
03-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Here's a thought...what if we just keep our 28 years young, 2x SB winning franchise QB and stop with all the silly talk?

Radical thought :shock:

Lebsteel
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Radical thought :shock:
Extremely radical, I forgot to add the :stirpot to my last post :wink: I'd hate to lose Ben, but....well, let's just wait and see what happens....here's hoping for the best :?