PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker still waits, visiting Rams next

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
hey Willie, talk to Larry Foote about what it's like to play for a losing team...and then come back and re-join the six-time Lombardi Trophy winners.

Willie Parker still waits

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2010

Not long ago, Willie Parker was regarded as one of the best young tailbacks in the NFL. But then, late in the 2007 season, he broke a leg against the Rams, and he really hasn't been the same since.

In 2008, injuries limited Parker to 11 games, and he rushed for under 800 yards for the first time since his rookie year of 2004. Last year, he lost his starting job after three games -- and he never started again.

One of the younger free-agent tailbacks on the market, Parker has generated little interest in free agency. He visited the Redskins, who later signed Larry Johnson.

Now, he'll visiting the team against which his career became derailed more than two years ago: the Rams. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the visit will occur on Thursday and Friday.

In St. Louis, Parker would serve as a backup to Steve Jackson. And this suggests that Parker has given up on any shot at being the top dog in 2010, or beyond.

SteelCrazy
03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I feel bad for Parker. I think he could start on about 10 or more teams and be an improvement on what they have....He has to accept a back-up role at this point and move on........

Flasteel
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I think Colbert is making a big mistake if he let's Parker sign somewhere else on the cheap. If the Rams are going to pay Parker back-up money, then Tomlin and/or Colbert need to get him on the phone and tell him to check back in before he signs anything.

If he's resigned to being a back-up, then he needs to be our back-up.

papillon
03-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I think Colbert is making a big mistake if he let's Parker sign somewhere else on the cheap. If the Rams are going to pay Parker back-up money, then Tomlin and/or Colbert need to get him on the phone and tell him to check back in before he signs anything.

Yea, it would be kind of ridiculous not to at least tell him to call and discuss a possible contract with the Steelers before he signs. If he's unwilling to do that then there must have been a major rift between him and Tomlin or Colbert.

Pappy

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM

IF that happens, be prepared for a loud scream emanating from Oviedo, FL :wink:

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM

Pro athletes are proud men. I don't know if this would happen after he said he would leave for a better opportunity. Either way, I've always liked FWP, and I with him all the best (except if he's on the opposite side line).

flippy
03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I still think he's gonna end up in NE somehow.

fezziwig
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM

$

steelblood
03-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Willie is okay, but I don't see why we need to sign him. He's struggled with injuries and hasn't been the same back in the last couple of years. His speed has faded a bit. His vision was never great and he doesn't break many tackles. He wasn't happy here when we got rid of the traditional FB. I don't see him coming back, and I'm ok with it. We've resigned enough guys with fading talent. We need some youth on this team.

costanza2k1
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM
From Bouchette's blog:

I spoke with one of Willie Parker’s close associates yesterday. He told me Parker won’t likely go back to the Steelers, no matter what. In fact, he said FWP is so bitter at what happened to him last season that he’d rather sit out the season than play in Pittsburgh again.

Oviedo
03-18-2010, 09:40 AM
From Bouchette's blog:

I spoke with one of Willie Parker’s close associates yesterday. He told me Parker won’t likely go back to the Steelers, no matter what. In fact, he said FWP is so bitter at what happened to him last season that he’d rather sit out the season than play in Pittsburgh again.

Life is a series of choices. I'm a huge FWP fan but he isn't what we need as a number two RB. I really doubt he has much left in the tank.

BTW, he has no reason to be bitter. That is ridiculous. He had his chances, his play declined and the better player was on the field. He should feel fortunate that Mendy broke his shoulder or it would have likely happened sooner.

FWP also needs to accept some personal responsibility. He hurt himself by being a poor receiver. he opened the door for a player like Mdwelde Moore to be viewed as more importnat than him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
From Bouchette's blog:

I can understand FWP feeling this way ... maybe he feels he "lost his position to injury", and never got a chance to fight back for it when he got healthy again at the end of last year.

If indeed he feels that way, the fact he hasn't made a media splash about it speaks loads to his character, but most of us on the board already knew he was a good citizen.

I wish him luck wherever he may be. I still hope it is as a Steeler, and may the best RB win in camp in Latrobe this summer. But, IMO, it would have to be at a very reasonable $$, since he hasn't actually SHOWN yet that he's better than we last saw him (which was at a skill level that would allow us to get someone else comparable without breaking the bank). Maybe offer him a mid-level contract, loaded up with incentives? ....

BTW - I don't know if it was Tomlin's fault, or Colbert's (for not having the right back up RB on the roster) but "running him till the wheels fall off" led directly to where he is right now, IMO.

Oviedo
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
From Bouchette's blog:

I can understand FWP feeling this way ... maybe he feels he "lost his position to injury", and never got a chance to fight back for it when he got healthy again at the end of last year.

If indeed he feels that way, the fact he hasn't made a media splash about it speaks loads to his character, but most of us on the board already knew he was a good citizen.

I wish him luck wherever he may be. I still hope it is as a Steeler, and may the best RB win in camp in Latrobe this summer. But, IMO, it would have to be at a very reasonable $$, since he hasn't actually SHOWN yet that he's better than we last saw him (which was at a skill level that would allow us to get someone else comparable without breaking the bank). Maybe offer him a mid-level contract, loaded up with incentives? ....

BTW - I don't know if it was Tomlin's fault, or Colbert's (for not having the right back up RB on the roster) but "running him till the wheels fall off" led directly to where he is right now, IMO.

It neither of their faults. Thye brought in guys and tried them out like Davenport and Russell but neither panned out. That is the risk you take with RBs. I don't think it is anymore their fault than it is for their fault that Hines has been battered and bruised for so long being the primary receiver and blocking downfield and the toll that has taken on his body. FWP had no issues when he was getting paid millions. The reality is that the broken leg in STL is what probably took Parker's burst from him and that was his only real asset. That is just life in the NFL.

JTP53609
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
dont go to the rams, rememember what happened last time he played there...

frankthetank1
03-18-2010, 12:15 PM
if parker is bitter than i dont want him back. he is a back up and he needs to accept that. he cant start on any team in the nfl. he is too injury prone to carry most of the load. mendenhall clearly out played him last season. it wont be hard to get a back up rb. there are plenty of free agents available and guys in the draft i would like to see the steelers sign. moore is just as good if not better than parker right now

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Parker couldn't stand playing second fiddle to a guy who got his first 1000 season last year, but he's looking into playing on a team with a guy who has 1000 yards rushing in each of the past 5 seasons (including over 1400 yards last year)? This makes sense, how?

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Parker couldn't stand playing second fiddle to a guy who got his first 1000 season last year, but he's looking into playing on a team with a guy who has 1000 yards rushing in each of the past 5 seasons (including over 1400 yards last year)? This makes sense, how?

maybe it's getting to the point where Willie has to take whatever he can get at this point...aging RBs who have lost a step are not in high demand.

costanza2k1
03-18-2010, 02:57 PM

maybe it's getting to the point where Willie has to take whatever he can get at this point...aging RBs who have lost a step are not in high demand.

I think you're right and now his pride is getting in the way of letting the Steelers know that he wants back and there's nothing out there. Pretty sad, Willie is a great success story for the Steelers and will be for a long time to come.

MeetJoeGreene
03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I have mixed feelings.

Fast Willie without the Fast in not really all that good.

Our FO, doesn't make that many mistakes (talent-wise) when it decides to not make a good faith attempt to re-sign people.

pfelix73
03-18-2010, 03:16 PM
They were talking about this subject yesterday on the radio. Those on the radio seemed to think that the Steelers will wait another month and if he's still not signed on another team they will try and bring him back at backup money.

They did mention that Willie may also sit out a year- which I think would do in his NFL career. They mentioned that his agent may be the one that's at fault in all of this. Who really knows, except for Willie.

I'd like to see him come back at back up $.
:tt1