PDA

View Full Version : Don’t be surprised if the Steelers trade up for…

Dee Dub
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
OLB Sergio Kindle.

With the recent signing of Larry Foote the Steelers have more than enough depth on the inside (Foote and Fox), but outside they really don’t. If you add in the fact that James Harrison is about to turn 32, an OLB who has the potential of Kindle, and the fact that OLB is a huge staple position in the Steelers 3-4 defense, this could very well happen.

Dont be surprized.

Kindle is a flat out beast off the edge. Prototypical 3-4 OLB size and quickness.

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
OLB Sergio Kindle.

With the recent signing of Larry Foote the Steelers have more than enough depth on the inside (Foote and Fox), but outside they really don’t. If you add in the fact that James Harrison is about to turn 32, an OLB who has the potential of Kindle, and the fact that OLB is a huge staple position in the Steelers 3-4 defense, this could very well happen.

Dont be surprized.

Kindle is a flat out beast off the edge. Prototypical 3-4 OLB size and quickness.
Do you think he is that much better than Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham who we might be able to get in Rd. 2 or get for certain in Rd. 1 if we trade down. To me that is a much better option.

DHSF
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
That would make me throw up AND throw the remote at the TV.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Timmons knows both ILB and OLB positions. That's what makes the Foote signing so good. If JH or LM go down, LT goes OLB and Foote or Fox starts on the inside.

Dee Dub
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
OLB Sergio Kindle.

Dont be surprized.

Do you think he is that much better than Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham who we might be able to get in Rd. 2 or get for certain in Rd. 1 if we trade down. To me that is a much better option.

Yes I do.

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I really don't think we would draft an OLB in Rd. 1. and definitely don't think we would trade up for an OLB. If we trade down and the player we were targeting got picked, I could see us taking Brandon Graham, but only because he'd be the BPA. Even if we did that I don't know where he would play. The only way I see us drafting an OLB is for depth in the later rounds.

steelerkeylargo
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Absolutely no way in hell. We could sit right where we are and take Brandon Ghraham if we wanted an olb.....which I highly doubt we do!!!! If anything we would grab anoth ILB and move Timmons back outside!

Shawn
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I really don't think we would draft an OLB in Rd. 1. and definitely don't think we would trade up for an OLB. If we trade down and the player we were targeting got picked, I could see us taking Brandon Graham, but only because he'd be the BPA. Even if we did that I don't know where he would play. The only way I see us drafting an OLB is for depth in the later rounds.

Agreed. To move up to grab an OLB in the first would be insane.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM

if we were going to draft an OLB in the first round i would prefer one of the premier pass rusher in the draft - Brandon Graham from Michigan.

Graham was named the Senior Bowl's Most Valuable Player following a dominating performance that saw him collect five tackles, two sacks, one tackle for loss and one forced fumble.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Trading up in Round 2 for Jerry Hughes >>>>>>>> Trading up in Round 1 for Sergio Kindle

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Trading up in Round 2 for Jerry Hughes >>>>>>>> Trading up in Round 1 for Sergio Kindle
Yea, I think Mr. Dub was just trying to stir up a little debate, kind of like saying that maybe we should trade Detroit all of our draft picks for the chance to draft Suh.

phillyesq
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

:Agree

Dee Dub
03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
The thing that makes Kindle attractive is that to move up for the Steelers may be reachable at a cost not too high and many, including the likes of Gil Brandt, think he is a top 10 talent. Graham is good but it is my opinion he isn’t in the class of Kindle. What separates the two is Kindle’s speed and his length. Long wing span and great height for the OLB spot that enables him to get to a QB quicker.

And if you think that the Steelers would never move up a few spots to draft an OLB the likes of Kindle when their defense is predicated on a constant influx at the OLB position....you are crazy.

Now...I am not going on record as saying the Steelers will. :wink:

steelblood
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
No more Texas players!

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
No more Texas players!

*Except for Earl Thomas :wink:

Shawn
03-17-2010, 04:48 PM

if we were going to draft an OLB in the first round i would prefer one of the premier pass rusher in the draft - Brandon Graham from Michigan.

Graham was named the Senior Bowl's Most Valuable Player following a dominating performance that saw him collect five tackles, two sacks, one tackle for loss and one forced fumble.

Graham is a beast...and I think he could be the best of the class.

TallyStiller
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Kindle is a classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" situation. Go to the film... guy had like 3 sacks last season. Trade UP? Fuhgeddaboudit.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Graham played OLB in high school and projects very well as a 3-4 OLB. A good pass rush can cover up a lot of deficiencies in the defensive backfield!

He certainly was a beast at the Senior Bowl, here's what the Bleacher Report had to say about his performance there -

DE Brandon Graham (Michigan, North):

Graham went from being a borderline first round pick to a solid first. He was already having a great week in Mobile but that was before the game. When he was on the field, he was completely unblockable, making life hell for the South's QB's. He had an immediate impact on the running game as well allowing his teammates more operating room to shut the South down as they only rushed for a combined total of 31 yards. Graham also forced a fumble and had two sacks.

Discipline of Steel
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM

I havent had a remote since the Browns game.

Dee Dub
03-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Yes I agree with that...but....he will be a one dimensional pass rusher. Kindle on the other hand will be able to cover at the next level. And thats what separates him from Graham. And in my book makes him better.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM

I havent had a remote since the Browns game.

:lol: :lol:

i'm sure a lot of Steelers' fans remotes took a beating during that 5-game losing stretch!
still not sure which one was harder to take, the Browns or the Raiders loss...

birtikidis
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
no to kindle. i think graham is a possibility. i thought maybe dunlap would be too, until he did what he did at his pro day...

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Yes I agree with that...but....he will be a one dimensional pass rusher. Kindle on the other hand will be able to cover at the next level. And thats what separates him from Graham. And in my book makes him better.

if the Steelers want Kindle, i don't think they need to trade up for him though. i think he'll still be there at #18.

Kindle has a history of nagging injuries and off-field issues, including being treated for a concussion last year in July after crashing his car into an apartment building while text-messaging.

williar
03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
OLB Sergio Kindle.

Dont be surprized.

If Kindle is BPA on the board when we pick, bring him in. I want us to get whoever we feel can come in and make some noise... We need contributors, not redshirts/projects. You can never have enough great players, I don't care how many you think you've already have at that position. And a 3-4 defense can never have enough playmaking linebackers.

Steel Life
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Hughes > Kindle

Flasteel
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
And if you think that the Steelers would never move up a few spots to draft an OLB the likes of Kindle when their defense is predicated on a constant influx at the OLB position....you are crazy.

You forgot to put some type of smiley emoticon after this to let us know you were joking...or not completely retarded. :D

Chadman
03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Despite what Dee Dub says, nobody can tell Chadman when & where to be, or not to be, surprised.

As a result, Chadman will go on record now & say he most positively WILL be surprised if & when the Steelers trade up to get Kindle, and there is nothing Dee Dub, or anyone else, can say to sway Chadman on this.

So there.

:moon

papillon
03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Despite what Dee Dub says, nobody can tell Chadman when & where to be, or not to be, surprised.

As a result, Chadman will go on record now & say he most positively WILL be surprised if & when the Steelers trade up to get Kindle, and there is nothing Dee Dub, or anyone else, can say to sway Chadman on this.

So there.

:moon

I can sway you and tell you when to be surprised; I choose not to . So there. :moon

Oh wait, you need more than one, so here: :moon

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
03-18-2010, 12:00 AM

yes, yes, what he said.

ANPSTEEL
03-18-2010, 12:01 AM

You forgot to put some type of smiley emoticon after this to let us know you were joking...or not completely retarded. :D

there it is.

aggiebones
03-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I've been warning this board for awhile about taking kids from Texas U.
And not JUST because I went to the rival school.
I know what goes on there. Not to mention the stack of talent they have. Meaning 95% of them don't develop properly due to having sooo much talent around them. Its prima donna U.
Hampton was the exception and the one that got Shaun Rodgers a ton of money.

Oviedo
03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I've been warning this board for awhile about taking kids from Texas U.
And not JUST because I went to the rival school.
I know what goes on there. Not to mention the stack of talent they have. Meaning 95% of them don't develop properly due to having sooo much talent around them. Its prima donna U.
Hampton was the exception and the one that got Shaun Rodgers a ton of money.

I caution the same thing about Florida players.

Shawn
03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

I will agree Kindle is better in coverage. But, that's the only thing he is better at. I believe Graham to be the best pass rusher in the country. He will be every bit as good as Woodley and Harrison. He is also elite when stopping the run. In coverage he will need work but I believe this is an area he can become decent at.

With that said, I don't think there is room for him with our current squad. Tomlin wants two ILBs that can cover...and we have no room on the outside. I don't believe Graham will be the pick. I would rather have Weatherspoon and stay put than jumping up to grab Kindle personally.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2010, 09:36 PM

TCU linebacker Jerry Hughes could be worth watching

The Daily Dolphin
by Edgar Thompson

Here’s another intriguing candidate for the Dolphins: TCU pass-rushing linebacker Jerry Hughes.

Hughes hasn’t generated the buzz of other players, but one NFL scout expects that to change during the coming weeks.

“This guy is going to rise up charts,” he said. “He’s hanging in the weeds in the early second round with most people. No one is talking about him, no one wants to let the cat out of the bag, no one wants to say, “I really like this kid.’

“A lot of teams hold him in high regard when comes to 3-4 rush linebackers.”

A member of the New York Giants’ fan site Big Blue View thinks Hughes is a perfect fit for Bill Parcells.

During a conference call last week, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay rated Hughes the third-best 3-4 outside linebacker in the draft, behind Graham and Kindle.

McShay said Morgan or Pierre-Paul, who are viewed as 4-3 ends by many teams, might be a better option for Miami. But neither might last to the 12th pick.

Even if Pierre-Paul does, the scout said “there’s no way” the Dolphins will pick him because he’s “way too raw.”

Dolphins football czar puts a lot of stock in a player’s body of work in college, and Pierre-Paul played at two junior colleges and just one season at USF.

Hughes, on the other hand, was dominant for two seasons, piling up 26 sacks for the Horned Frogs.

Graham had 20 at Michigan and is drawing comparisons to the Steelers’ LaMaar Woodley.

Kindle had 16 for Texas, or “not quite as productive as you would have liked to see,” McShay said.

Both Graham and Kindle consistently faced better competition, but at the scouting combine Hughes’ times in the 40 (4.69), 20 (2.75) and 10 (1.67) were comparable or a bit better than Graham (4.72, 2.77, 1.65) and Kindle (4.71, 2.76, 1.71).

Hughes (6 1/2, 255) is a bit short like Graham (6-1 1/3, 268), but not as strong (Hughes bench-pressed 225 26 times vs. 34 for Graham).

Based on this three-cone time of 6.99 seconds, Hughes is a bit more agile and flexible than Kindle (7.26).

Add it all up and Hughes might belong in the conversation.

aggiebones
03-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Also, beware of Big12 stats this year. This was the worst year in the Big12 in a long time. Texas had a solid team, but not overwhelming. OU had no QB this year when Bradford went out. Tech was bad, so was A&M, Baylor and the North. This was the worst Big12 year in forever, so Texas had very little to do to win all games. I'm sooo afraid that we take a Texas U player. This is likely the worst crop ever compared to their rankings. They are fluffed up more than normal.
Beware, Beware!!

Shawn
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I nominate Dee for the Nostra award. :Clap

:stirpot

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 03:19 AM

did Dee Dub mean trading up for Kindle in Round 1 or in Round 2? :lol:

Shawn
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM

did Dee Dub mean trading up for Kindle in Round 1 or in Round 2? :lol:

:lol:

When Steeler43 was on the Trib...his picks were like the kiss of death. It seems he passed his powers onto Dee. :mrgreen:

Dee Dub
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah I've been wrong many times. This is nothing new. :wink:

phillyesq
04-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Since you probably don't have access to the medical reports, I suppose we can give you a pass. :lol:

The latest on Kindle:

Medical issues pushed Kindle out of first round
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 11:08 AM ET
Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle surprisingly didn't get selected in the first round Thursday.

Now we know why.

Several teams had Kindle off their board due to medical issues, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Chip Brown of Rivals.com writes that Kindle's knee was a "serious" medical risk that could require microfracture surgery.

Kindle also takes medication for narcolepsy and ADD, although we doubt those are major issues. Kindle is known for his football intelligence, but his injury risk was too great for teams to take in the first round.

At some point in the second round, we think the risk of his injuries will be worth the reward of his considerable talents.

Dee Dub
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Since you probably don't have access to the medical reports, I suppose we can give you a pass. :lol:

The latest on Kindle:

Medical issues pushed Kindle out of first round
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 11:08 AM ET
Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle surprisingly didn't get selected in the first round Thursday.

Now we know why.

Several teams had Kindle off their board due to medical issues, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Chip Brown of Rivals.com writes that Kindle's knee was a "serious" medical risk that could require microfracture surgery.

Kindle also takes medication for narcolepsy and ADD, although we doubt those are major issues. Kindle is known for his football intelligence, but his injury risk was too great for teams to take in the first round.

At some point in the second round, we think the risk of his injuries will be worth the reward of his considerable talents.

But truth be told I never this was what the Steelers would do. I said dont be surprized "if"...... :wink:

Shawn
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM

I thought you said you were never wrong? :mrgreen:

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM

I thought you said you were never wrong? :mrgreen:

Kindle and Mays are still there, we can trade up for either of them still... :lol: