PDA

View Full Version : Florida Pro Day

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
So much for Haden, he ran a 4.45, but Spikes couldn't get under 5 seconds in his 40. I heard he was slow, but that is pathetically slow. Do we still want someone that slow as an ILB?

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1462

Jom112
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
James Laurinaitis ran a 4.88 40 at the combine last year and he's done pretty well with the Rams. Although he did decrease that number to around a 4.7 at tOSU's Pro Day.

Running around a 5 Flat at your Pro Day for a LB is pathetic. I'm sure some injury excuse for Spikes will come out soon. Some hamstring or back injury...

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
D@mn you Haden! I wanted another crappy 40 so you could fall to us at #18! Now you'll probably end up with the Browns, as has been projected all along. :evil:

Now my only hope is for the following to happen:

1. St. Louis QB Sam Bradford
2. Detroit DT Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay DT Gerald McCoy
4. Washington QB Jimmy Clausen
5. Kansas City OT Russell Okung
6. Seattle OT Bryan Bulaga
7. Cleveland CB Joe Haden
8. Oakland OT Bruce Campbell
9. Buffalo OT Trent Williams
10. Pittsburgh FS Eric Berry (after trading our 1st and 2nd round picks to Jacksonville, so they can take the best available defensive player at #18 and then still be able to get QB Tim Tebow in round 2...which would not otherwise be possible since they traded away their second round pick to New England last year).

steelblood
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Wow. out run by Trent Williams. Wow.

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow. out run by Trent Williams. Wow.
Blown away by Trent Williams in 40 "timeology." A whole .2 seconds which really is significant. Wow. I'm am going to be very interested to see what time Sean Lee posts later today.

anger 82&95
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
D@mn you Haden! I wanted another crappy 40 so you could fall to us at #18! Now you'll probably end up with the Browns, as has been projected all along. :evil:

10. Pittsburgh FS Eric Berry (after trading our 1st and 2nd round picks to Jacksonville, so they can take the best available defensive player at #18 and then still be able to get QB Tim Tebow in round 2...which would not otherwise be possible since they traded away their second round pick to New England last year).
Bummer! I was hoping he would do heavy squats, good mornings and dead lifts with his father in preparation for his time trial...

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Bummer! I was hoping he would do heavy squats, good mornings and dead lifts with his father in preparation for his time trial...
I still think Earl Thomas may be nearly as good of an option as Haden if we play him at CB.

pfelix73
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Cleveland might be looking at QB's, though, so Haden could still fall- I can wish, can't I?

You are right though about Thomas- I'm thinking the same thing.
:tt1

flippy
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Tomlin taking a look at Tebow?

SteelCzar76
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Not so fast there Ruthless,...i think Colbert may finally be sick of the shenanigans as evidenced by him resigning and bringing back some of Coach Cowher's vets to slow the bleeding that began last season.

I think that he may in fact plan to move up for Haden,...whom i don't think we have to worry about the Browns taking regardless of his 40 time. Why ?,....Because... dude,... Mike Holmgren is not going to select a CB in the top 10 when he has NO franchise QB. (I'm just saying,..this is Mike Holmgren we are talking about.)

I think the Patsies trade up with the Jags for Berry,.....so we just have to get ahead of the Niners first pick. So i'm looking for Colbert to attempt a move with the Dolphins or Broncos whom i believe could still get the players that they actually want at 18.

flippy
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM

I'd rather see Berry slip than Haden. I think he's the second best player in the draft after Suh. I'm also intrigued by Thomas roaming the field along side Troy, but then I also don't want to have 2 small safeties hurt at the same time.

I keep thinking there's so many guys we could take at 18, that we should just trade down in the first and then trade up in the 2nd/3rd.

I just can't decide which of 10+ guys would be the best fit for us. I really don't like the 18 spot. It could go so many ways. I don't see one guy imho that's head and shoulders better than the other 10+ potential picks we could make.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
James Laurinaitis ran a 4.88 40 at the combine last year and he's done pretty well with the Rams. Although he did decrease that number to around a 4.7 at tOSU's Pro Day.

Running around a 5 Flat at your Pro Day for a LB is pathetic. I'm sure some injury excuse for Spikes will come out soon. Some hamstring or back injury...

aloha Jom,

saw this article and thought it might interest you -

USC safety Mays ‘Taylor’ made for Bengals defense

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Wednesday, March 17, 2010,

The Cincinnati Bengals have the 21st overall pick in April’s NFL draft and could use the selection on University of Southern California safety Taylor Mays. The Bengals have a real need at strong safety behind starter Roy Williams and will likely address the position via the draft.

There is no question Williams still has the ability and desire to play at a high level, but the frequent forearm injuries remain a concern. Williams has missed 25 games over the last two seasons due to the injury. An insurance policy is more than necessary.
Although Mays would be a perfect fit for the Bengals’ aggressive and attacking defense, he must first become available. After a show-stopping performance at the Scouting Combine last month, there are no guarantees he will be there when the Bengals make their selection.

Mays will have to make it past the Seattle Seahawks with the No. 6 and No. 14 overall picks for that to happen. The team is in the market for a safety since releasing Deon Grant. I think this pick is a no-brainer. No one knows Mays better than Seahawks new head coach Pete Carroll, who coached him for four seasons at USC. Not to mention his former position coach Ken Norton Jr., who also joined the coaching staff this offseason.
Should Mays slip past Seattle, he could be there for the Bengals at No. 21.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound Mays would flourish in Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer’s defense. Zimmer loves to bring the strong safety down in the box to support the run or blitz the passer, which is a strength of Mays. Who better to learn Zimmer’s defense from than Williams, who would act as a mentor.

Mays’ freakish athleticism at safety reminds me a lot of Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis coming out of Georgia in 2005. Davis split time between safety and linebacker his rookie season before making a permanent switch to outside linebacker a year later.

Mays’ questionable instincts and poor change-of-direction skills in coverage could be headed down the same path. The player tends to take bad angles in coverage and would rather make a big hit than make a play on the ball. Mays will need to be more consistent making plays on the ball in the pros. Presentation may be something else to improve on.

According to sources, Mays could see his stock dip on draft day if Seattle fails to pull the trigger. I’m told that Mays did not interview well with some teams at the Senior Bowl and combine. It was also stated that the player came across as arrogant and with an over-inflated ego.

Mays is a physically gifted and talented athlete. I believe the good far out-weighs the negatives. I think the Bengals will overlook Mays’ weaknesses and make him their selection.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I agree with Berry being the second best player after Suh. But the chances of him dropping down to #10 and us trading up to get him are pretty remote (that won't stop me from including it in my mock, though! One can dream...). If Haden ran another poor 40, though, he could have potentially been ours without having to trade up at all, which would have been sweet. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Now, if we stay put at #18, I think I may be back to having Earl Thomas as our top target, which is where I was when this whole draft process started (before becoming enamored with top OT's potentially falling, Haden possibly falling, or us having a shot at trading up for a truly elite prospect like Berry).

It’s circular. It’s like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow… all good things. :P

flippy
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree with Berry being the second best player after Suh. But the chances of him dropping down to #10 and us trading up to get him are pretty remote (that won't stop me from including it in my mock, though! One can dream...). If Haden ran another poor 40, though, he could have potentially been ours without having to trade up at all, which would have been sweet. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Now, if we stay put at #18, I think I may be back to having Earl Thomas as our top target, which is where I was when this whole draft process started (before becoming enamored with top OT's potentially falling, Haden possibly falling, or us having a shot at trading up for a truly elite prospect like Berry).

It’s circular. It’s like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow… all good things. :P

I'd be ok with trying to trade up to 3-5 to get Berry, I think he's that good.

With Berry and Troy P, we'd have a distinct unfair advantage. I could see us rushing 5-6 and it wouldn't feel like you were taking any chances to give up a big play.

Dick Lebeau blitzes while being conservative. He plays much more aggressively with Troy on the field versus when he is not. Give him Berry and I could see Lebeau turn it up a notch. He'd make Rex Ryan's play calling look timid.

It could be a very unique dynamic.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM

all speculation of course, but this is a distinct possibility -

Could Holmgren draft Clausen at No. 7?

Matt Bowen, The National Football Post
Mar 16, 12:30 pm EDT

With all of the quarterback talk surrounding Mike Holmgren’s Browns this past week, the idea of Cleveland going after a top rookie at the position does have some staying power.

As our own Michael Lombardi wrote this morning, if Detroit is serious — which is hard to say in the middle of March — about moving down from the No. 2 spot, Cleveland could be a willing trade partner.

That, as we should know, would signify the Browns moving up to draft Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford — a rookie who could play behind the newly acquired Jake Delhomme, learn how to play in the west coast system and use the time to grow out of the spread attack he played in during his time in Norman.

However, if no trade is made, and the Browns are still sitting at No. 7, Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen could fall into their laps. Clausen has been all over the board when it comes to mock drafts and could be scooped up by Mike Shanahan and the ‘Skins at No. 4. But, if the ‘Skins do what is in the best interest of that franchise and draft an offensive tackle with the team’s first pick, then Clausen comes into play for plenty of teams, like Cleveland, Seattle at No. 6 and Buffalo at No. 9.

Understandably, it would be a tough sell to Cleveland fans to bring in another Irish QB who played under Charlie Weis after the trade that just sent Brady Quinn to Denver.

But, if Clausen does show that he has an NFL arm at his pro day next month in South Bend, his draft stock will immediately begin to climb and he should be able to ride that wave all the way until the end of April.

Clausen said in Indianapolis during the NFL Combine that he was ready for the league because of the system he played in under Weis — along with the pressure of playing at Notre Dame — and wasn’t shy about mentioning the west coast system in his transition from college QB to the NFL level.

That is up for debate, but the idea that Holmgren wants to continue to add to the quarterback position in Cleveland is not. If there is no chance to make a play to move up and get Bradford, then Clausen does become the next option.

And, Holmgren might bite.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Not so fast there Ruthless,...i think Colbert may finally be sick of the shenanigans as evidenced by him resigning and bringing back some of Coach Cowher's vets to slow the bleeding that began last season.

I think that he may in fact plan to move up for Haden,...whom i don't think we have to worry about the Browns taking regardless of his 40 time. Why ?,....Because... dude,... Mike Holmgren is not going to select a CB in the top 10 when he has NO franchise QB. (I'm just saying,..this is Mike Holmgren we are talking about.)

I think the Patsies trade up with the Jags for Berry,.....so we just have to get ahead of the Niners first pick. So i'm looking for Colbert to attempt a move with the Dolphins or Broncos whom i believe could still get the players that they actually want at 18.

I would be willing to give up our first and second if Berry were a possibility because I think he is truly elite, but to move up for Haden, who is the best CB in this draft but not necessarily great, would be too rich for my blood. To go from #18 to #12 is worth 300 points according to the trade value chart. Our 2nd round pick is worth 380, and Miami's 4th rounder is worth 78, so a reasonable deal would be our 1st and 2nd for Miami's 1st and 4th. I think that is too much to give up for Haden, in my opinion, especially considering the quality of the 2nd round picks that should be available in this draft.

Mick'sTeam
03-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I would be ecstatic if we were able to get Berry! He is the real deal.

birtikidis
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
My buddy who is a writer for the Gainesville Sun (he was at the UF pro day covering it) said they are knocking .05 all times because it was wet in gainesville. He said that Haden looked really smooth and ran well. He hasn't gotten back to me yet about Spikes... though Steeler Depot is giving an unofficial 40 for Spikes at 4.8 and Steeler Depot also said that Tomlin spoke with Dunlap.
here's my buddies article http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100317/ARTICLES/100319538?Title=UF-Pro-Day-Live-updates-from-Florida-Field

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM

yes, Tomlin has already ordered a uniform for Tebow. heard he's willing to give up our 1st and 2nd to trade up in front of Jacksonville at #10 in order to land Timmy Boy...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0309/nfl_e_steelertebow_300.jpg

birtikidis
03-17-2010, 05:43 PM

yes, Tomlin has already ordered a uniform for Tebow. heard he's willing to give up our 1st and 2nd to trade up in front of Jacksonville at #10 in order to land Timmy Boy...

Ray (i think or steeler depot per twitter) said that Tomlin was the first to talk to Tebow after his workout.

Lebsteel
03-17-2010, 07:41 PM
More on Spikes:

On the opposite side of the spectrum is inside linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was clocked at 4.99 and 5.03. This time would have placed him ahead of only Kentucky inside linebacker Micah Johnson as the slowest LB tested at the Combine. Spikes didn't run at the Combine, but did compete in the vertical and broad jumps. Perhaps he shouldn't have. Spikes finished tied with Johnson for last in the vertical (29") and with the third worst total in the broad jump (9'3") among linebackers tested in Indianapolis. Spikes' slow, unathletic workouts could have a devastating effect on his draft stock. Currently rated by NFLDraftScout.com as a second round prospect, Spikes could in fact slip out of the second day of the draft.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/20500629?tag=mccBlogView;comBlogEntryListMiniCnt

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
My buddy who is a writer for the Gainesville Sun (he was at the UF pro day covering it) said they are knocking .05 all times because it was wet in gainesville. He said that Haden looked really smooth and ran well. He hasn't gotten back to me yet about Spikes... though Steeler Depot is giving an unofficial 40 for Spikes at 4.8 and Steeler Depot also said that Tomlin spoke with Dunlap.
here's my buddies article http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100317/ARTICLES/100319538?Title=UF-Pro-Day-Live-updates-from-Florida-Field

Spikes' draft stock is plunging faster than Ben's reputation.

as for Dunlap, no thanks -

Buyer Beware: Carlos Dunlap Has Bust Written All Over Him
Bleacher Report

Florida junior defensive end Carlos Dunlap deserves to slide out of the first round in the upcoming 2010 NFL Draft.

Dunlap has been hyped as one of the draft’s elite defensive prospects, but his game film reveals startling flaws. Those flaws combined with Dunlap’s recent arrest and suspension should give pause to NFL general managers of taking him in the first round. The following is my analysis of Carlos Dunlap and why he deserves to be a second rounder at best.

Positives

Dunlap combines rare size for a defensive end, 6’6" and 290 lbs, with excellent top end speed and acceleration. He has experience playing both left and right defensive end and has flashed elite potential rushing the quarterback and disrupting the run.

Negatives

Where to begin? The first thing that jumped out at me about Dunlap is how slow he is timing the snap. He is often the 22nd player reacting to the ball being snapped, and this lack of timing often allows offensive lineman to get into his pads much easier and erase him from the play.

Even after Dunlap finally reacts to the ball being snapped, he often plays confused. The evidence of Dunlap’s confusion is in his footwork; there is no other excuse as to why his foot speed and angles taken are so slow and poor.

These flaws would be somewhat negated if Dunlap played with a consistently high motor, but he doesn’t. Dunlap will take a play off from time to time, it's blatant and puts the defense at a huge disadvantage.

And the icing on the Dunlap cake is his immaturity. With some college juniors, immaturity issues can be explained away due to age; this is not the case with Dunlap. Dunlap’s DWI leading up to Florida’s game with Alabama is ample evidence that he just doesn’t get it. If Urban Meyer can't get through to Dunlap, what makes anyone think an NFL coach can?

That kind of disregard for your teammates and innocent bystanders so close to the biggest game of his life is just a major red flag.

Conclusion

Dunlap deserves to be selected in the second round. Despite Dunlap’s world of physical skills, his actions on and off the field show that he doesn’t get it. His awareness and instincts at defensive end are horrible and his motor wildly inconsistent. Add that he is liable to get in trouble off the field and he just isn’t worth the money a first round pick is due.

Still I can see him being taken in the top 10 picks and being a massive bust after getting paid. Some defensive coordinator or head coach will become entranced by Dunlap's physical gifts and convince the general manager that they somehow will be the ones to magically get through to Dunlap and turn him into the next Mario Williams. Odds are his career will more closely mirror that of Derrick Harvey.

hawaiiansteel
03-18-2010, 01:01 AM

Ray (i think or steeler depot per twitter) said that Tomlin was the first to talk to Tebow after his workout.

Miami Dolphins' QB Chad Henne says Tebow "isn't an NFL quarterback"

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2010

As Florida quarterback Tim Tebow continues to prepare for the NFL, one of the men who already holds a starting quarterback job at the highest level of the sport has a strong opinion on the subject.

"My judgment is that he's not an NFL quarterback," Henne told Curtis Stevenson and Anita Marks of WQAM in Miami regarding Tebow. "I'll leave it at that."

Wow.

Making Henne's opinion more compelling is the fact that his position coach, David Lee, is one of the men who are helping Tebow become that which Lee's primary pupil says Tebow isn't.

And suddenly we hope Tebow lands in the AFC East.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Cleveland might be looking at QB's, though, so Haden could still fall- I can wish, can't I?

You are right though about Thomas- I'm thinking the same thing.
:tt1

Why would anyone look at a QB when you have Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
WalterFootball.com has moved Florida's Brandon Spikes down to their 5th pure ILB with a 3rd or 4th round grade, behind Alabama's Rolando McClain, Mississippi State's Jamar Chaney, Penn State's Sean Lee, and Iowa's Pat Angerer. Plus, there are a few guys who would be an OLB candidate in the 4-3, but would be an ILB in the 3-4, such as Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon, TCU's Daryl Washington, and Florida State's Dekoda Watson.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010ILB.php

birtikidis
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Miami Dolphins' QB Chad Henne says Tebow "isn't an NFL quarterback"

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2010

As Florida quarterback Tim Tebow continues to prepare for the NFL, one of the men who already holds a starting quarterback job at the highest level of the sport has a strong opinion on the subject.

"My judgment is that he's not an NFL quarterback," Henne told Curtis Stevenson and Anita Marks of WQAM in Miami regarding Tebow. "I'll leave it at that."

Wow.

Making Henne's opinion more compelling is the fact that his position coach, David Lee, is one of the men who are helping Tebow become that which Lee's primary pupil says Tebow isn't.

And suddenly we hope Tebow lands in the AFC East.
alot of people would say the same thing about Henne. I think he's garbage.