PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Getting Younger vs. Getting Older

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I know there are good arguments and points of view for every one of these "welcome back's", or "bounce-backs", like ARE and Foote (am I missing another one?). And yet, the voice in the back of my head keeps saying "Redrum", NO!, I mean I keep thinking that we were always a step too slow last year - most obviously on defense, but also a quicker OL might have spared Ben some hits, or made Willie/Mendy some extra yards (especially FWP who is really dependent on that 1st hole opening up).

I guess it's dumb for me to 2nd guess the F.O., and maybe it's just a perfectly justifiable/reasonable plan to load up on experience to make a run for #7 this year, at the risk of a playoff drought for a few years after that. I just feel a TAD bit uneasy going old and slow rather than green and fast ...

flippy
03-16-2010, 12:05 AM
ARE and Foote are a little different.

They wanted more opportunity than we offered them and moved on. But it wasn't like we let them go because they were past their primes.

And they're coming back in supporting roles. It's good to have veterans like these guys on the roster. And both are very good players.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-16-2010, 12:19 AM
I know there are good arguments and points of view for every one of these "welcome back's", or "bounce-backs", like ARE and Foote (am I missing another one?). And yet, the voice in the back of my head keeps saying "Redrum", NO!, I mean I keep thinking that we were always a step too slow last year - most obviously on defense, but also a quicker OL might have spared Ben some hits, or made Willie/Mendy some extra yards (especially FWP who is really dependent on that 1st hole opening up).

I guess it's dumb for me to 2nd guess the F.O., and maybe it's just a perfectly justifiable/reasonable plan to load up on experience to make a run for #7 this year, at the risk of a playoff drought for a few years after that. I just feel a TAD bit uneasy going old and slow rather than green and fast ...

You ain't the only one.

I'm not too concerned with the ARE signing, because I think he can be effective in the slot. But Foote? We definitely need to get younger and faster on defense, and I don't see how this move brings a real upgrade. Same with Ryan Clark. I fear the outcome will be more delay in getting the needed infusion of young talent on D.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have the sinking feeling we aren't going to solve the problem of fourth-quarter collapses anytime soon.

papillon
03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
The veterans are signed to allow the Steelers a chance to compete right now. Their replacements will be drafted or were drafted last year and will learn from them while playing enough to begin to understand the NFL game.

ARE and Foote and Battle and even Fox are not the answers they are simply allowing the Steelers to compete while the younguns get ready to win in the future.

Pappy

Steel Life
03-16-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm not bothered by the signings of ARE & Foote as ARE I believe is insurance for Logan plus an advantage in 4 WR sets (Side note - with ARE on board, I forgo the 3rd QB). Foote gives us depth in the event Farrior goes down & LeBeau doesn't have to worry about him not knowing the defense (I'll be interested to see how Fox plays this pre-season).

But when you look at the signings collectively, you should be concerned with the numbers of 30+ players we have, especially on defense...Hampton, Foote, Farrior, Smith, Hoke, Kirschke, Keisel, Clark & Harrison - hope help is on the way & the young'uns are ready to play soon.

Lebsteel
03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not bothered by the signings of ARE & Foote as ARE I believe is insurance for Logan plus an advantage in 4 WR sets (Side note - with ARE on board, I forgo the 3rd QB). Foote gives us depth in the event Farrior goes down & LeBeau doesn't have to worry about him not knowing the defense (I'll be interested to see how Fox plays this pre-season).

But when you look at the signings collectively, you should be concerned with the numbers of 30+ players we have, especially on defense...Hampton, Foote, Farrior, Smith, Hoke, Kirschke, Keisel, Clark & Harrison - hope help is on the way & the young'uns are ready to play soon.
Precisely why I feel we need to draft defense early and often this year. SL, why do you have 4 of your first 5 picks on offense if you feel that way about our D?

feltdizz
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybe the Steeler's FO is trying to get some leadership back in the locker room?

Oviedo
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
The players they signed are role players who are probably no more than one or two year fillers. Battle was probably brought in exclusively for Special Teams since we hired his ST Coach from SF. Allen was brought in to get Carter off the roster and provide an experienced option to a oft injured Troy. There will still be plenty of opportunities for young players to challenge for roster spots.

Remember we signed Sean McDonald last year and when Mike Wallace emerged we cast him off. We can do the same thing to any of the free agents we signed, e.g. Battle, Allen, etc.

NorthCoast
03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
I stated this before, but the only way the Foote signing makes sense to me is if the Steelers really think the play of Farrior has dropped off a cliff. In that case, you need a vet to step in immediately but also someone who can work with a draft pick to get them ready to play.
If we hit paydirt in the draft, then some of these FAs will be gone after next season anyway. No cap hit if we cut them after next season...

Discipline of Steel
03-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I stated this before, but the only way the Foote signing makes sense to me is if the Steelers really think the play of Farrior has dropped off a cliff. In that case, you need a vet to step in immediately but also someone who can work with a draft pick to get them ready to play.
If we hit paydirt in the draft, then some of these FAs will be gone after next season anyway. No cap hit if we cut them after next season...

Football is a game of attrition. Those guys take a beating over the course of a year. Having capable men to help absorb the pounding will only help. I think our fourth quarter performance will improve this year. We dont need to sign any more stars, its called depth. Now we are in position to drop a rookie into each unit to compete with the veterans. I like what the front office is doing, sticking to their plan.

Oviedo
03-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I think, and correctly, that given the uncertainty of the CBA that the Steelers are looking at a one year window of opportunity. As such all the players they signed are proven commodities and if you look at what they are being asked to do they are here for specific roles and depth.

No one know if there will be football in 2011. So why not go for broke this season when you can do so without finanacial penalties. Can't all these guys bonuses be accelerated into this season? That means that they can be released without much financial penalty once a new CBA is in place.

Looking at every acquisition I think they have done a great job:
ARE-good proven performer who can fill in for Hines in the possession receiver role if injuries require. A rookie would unlikely be able to do that. High character and good in the locker room
Battle-brought in specifically by the new ST Coach so he obviously sees something there. ST cost us games last year and was an area that needed to be improved. Bringing in a vet who is very good in this area is more of a sure thing than trying out a rookie
Will Allen-Get Tyrone Carter off the roster. He may be the biggest beneficial signing of the off season. Plus again a veteran Special Teams star. Great experienced insurance for a oft inhured Troy. A rookie would not be able to play that role as much as everyone is drooling over rookie Safeties.
Larry Foote-much needed depth on a LB corps that has no depth. Plus a player who knows the scheme inside and out to replace Farrior if he falters like last season. Again, no rookie would be able to do this in LeBeau's defense.
Scott-much needed experienced depth at OT. Hills obviously isn't cutting it and we had no one to back up. Plus must have something if the follows his old coach. Could be surprise player and start in the future if Colon leaves.

All of these players are good pick ups and can be dumped easily if a young players outperforms them. This was a very smart off season. It also means that we can be a little more selective at who we pick versus picking a perceived "need" position. That probably is causing more "angst" on the board than team age worrying that someones mock was just invalidated by these signings.

frankthetank1
03-18-2010, 09:29 PM
the signing of foote and are were smart. we have so much depth at ILB right now. i loved what i saw from keyron fox last year and i hope he doesnt get bumped down on the depth chart. even if harrison or woodley get hurt they will be fine because timmons can move outside and either fox or foote can take his spot. the offense will be even better at wr with ward, holmes, wallace and are. that is probably the best 4 wr on any depth chart in the nfl

Steelerphile
03-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I think it is good getting back Foote and ARE. They are not great players. But the Steelers know them as quality professionals and good guys. I personally liked Arnaz Battle in college and wanted the Steelers to draft him. He's 30 now but I think he is a good player who never quite had the quallity QB or good team around him. He is a solid role player in my mind.

Certainly Tyrone Carter will have to hang 'em up but I haven't at all given up on Tony Hills or any of the other younger lineman.

Since this is an uncapped season, the Steelers are lining up known quantities for a run at the championship.

But I still think they need to draft to the defense, and not be too reticent to play an outstanding young player. If one or the other of the veterans they have now or have signed is impacted, then so be it.