View Full Version : Brain experts develop game plan for football concussions

NKySteeler
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Another important issue, IMO...
----------------------------------------
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Brain experts develop game plan for football concussions
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If international expert Robert Cantu had his druthers, football teams would practice without helmets.

That would be the best way to teach players to avoid head-to-head collisions, utilize their shoulders and bodies more in contact, protect against the concussions and later-life brain maladies the brutal game creates at rates such scientists find alarming.

The same notion would apply for players from preps to pros, too.

"There may be one day a week you put them on," Dr. Cantu said Friday in the first of a two-day, Duquesne University seminar entitled "Is Football Bad for the Brain?"

Dr. Cantu is a noted neurosurgeon and co-founder of the Boston-area Sports Legacy Institute that has helped to lead the NFL's recent reform movement through its study of long-term brain damage in middle-aged or older athletes.

"Keep them off, so you don't use your head as a battering ram," said Dr. Cantu.

This idea was endorsed by Julian Bailes, a former player and team physician who presides over West Virginia University's department of neurosurgery along with its Brain Injury Research Institute. He, in fact, counseled the WVU football coaches to decrease contact in practice to one day each week, "and I'd like to reduce that."

He said he also has spoken to NCAA officials and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about efforts limiting, if not eliminating, helmets as a device for hitting and injuring.

"We've got to gravitate toward getting the head out of the game as much as we can," Dr. Bailes said. "The purists are saying you can't do that. Yes, we can. We can eliminate it in practice if we want to. I think we need to look at getting rid of what I call the obligatory, mandatory head contact."

Over the years, coaches and players have learned to put away the salt tablets, to cease the potentially fatal practice of blistering two-a-days, to lift their helmets to see what they are tackling and avoid spearing.

Dr. Bailes said he proposed to Mr. Goodell two years ago that linemen should stand or squat upright, removing themselves from the three-point stance and their brains from potential peril.

"You could have helmet padding 6 inches thick, it's not going to help," he continued.

"We're stuck with the immutable fact that homo sapiens have a brain floating in fluid. At some point, the helmet and craniums are going to stop [moving], and the brains inside are going to continue. It rubs inside the rough areas of the skull ... and it bounces back."

That's how concussions occur. That's how, with repeated concussions, NFL retirees are found to develop depression and dementia at rates three times more than the general population.

Kevin Guskiewicz, a Latrobe native and onetime Steelers trainer, has placed meters in the helmets of players at the University of North Carolina -- where he heads the Center for the Study of Retired Athletes. Dr. Guskiewicz's research shows that players can absorb 100 hits to the head in what are considered "light," helmets-only practices. Concussion-causing hits occur at the crown of the head seven and eight times more often than the sides or frontal lobe of the brain, studies there found.

His desired rules change?

"I definitely think something has to be done on special teams," he said. "At the professional, collegiate and high school, we're seeing a disproportionate level of concussions on punt returns and kick returns."

He suggested something similar to hockey's offsides, where a number of players stay behind a specific line.

"We need to make this game a safer sport," he said. "Because it's not going away."

Joseph Maroon, the Steelers' longtime neurosurgeon and a member of the NFL's concussion committee, said the recent changes -- such as a stricter return-to-play policy delivered to teams in December -- illustrate that 2009 was what he called "the tipping point" for the league.

"They're reducing the number of head hits in practice," Dr. Maroon said. "They're looking at the way practice is carried out. They [increased] suspensions, penalties and fines for intentional hits [to the head]. They're taking very strong action, and they're considering others."

"It's like never before," Dr. Bailes said of the NFL's reaction. "I think the commissioner and the league have done more than ever."

Also on the first day of the seminar, presented by the Cyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law:

• Dr. Cantu revealed his research found that a fatal form of follow-up concussion, called Second Impact Syndrome that kills three to four high-school players annually, can be detected by a CAT scan. Sports-related brain injuries never before revealed themselves in imaging.

• His co-worker at the Sports Legacy Institute, Dr. Ann McKee, announced the finding of another protein -- TDP43 -- that causes degeneration in the brains of such older athletes diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, the disease that results from a history of head trauma. The protein called tau also does that.

• Dr. Maroon's research echoed Dr. Bailes': Gobble up Omega 3 fatty acids, and they may help to prevent and cure the inflammation of a traumatic brain injury.

"Quite frankly, I think everybody should be on it," said Dr. Maroon, who was part of a January 2009 study in which an NFL team showed reduced cardiovascular risk factors when regularly ingesting them

He proposed downing 2 to 3 grams of such fatty acids as DHA or EPA daily. "I think it's like Vitamin B -- it's a natural anti-inflammatory."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10072/1042511-66.stm

Shawn
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I'll be in the minority but the game needs to change. I think these kinds of injuries can be avoided with some minimal changes that won't change the integrity of the game. I know if it was my head I would want to be able to tie my own shoes at age 60.

NKySteeler
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll be in the minority but the game needs to change. I think these kinds of injuries can be avoided with some minimal changes that won't change the integrity of the game. I know if it was my head I would want to be able to tie my own shoes at age 60.

Agree completely... So I guess I'm in the minority with you.

... All too often we, the fans, get wrapped around the axle with the intensity of the game and lose sight of the big picture for the players. The players, as well, lose sight of the end result while trying to earn the "almighty dollar" and are willing to take risks so as to preserve their job, position on the team, and salary.

IMO, someone needs to step-in and develop a precedent and/or policy concerning such issues... Too often, folks take life for granted... It is understandable for players to do so given the current situation as it is... A clear-cut policy would take some of the hard decisions out of the hands of the players and coaches... The "end game" of their lives is more important even if they don't actually realize it at the current point in time.

BlackJackGold
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Mandatory down time of at least two weeks after a concussion definately needs to be implemented.

Teams and fans won't like hearing about it at first, but just like with every other rule change, they will adjust to it.

Rosters and practice squads would most likely have to be expanded a bit too in order to make sure teams have the depth needed to fill voids created by the rule.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Agree completely... So I guess I'm in the minority with you.

... All too often we, the fans, get wrapped around the axle with the intensity of the game and lose sight of the big picture for the players. The players, as well, lose sight of the end result while trying to earn the "almighty dollar" and are willing to take risks so as to preserve their job, position on the team, and salary.

IMO, someone needs to step-in and develop a precedent and/or policy concerning such issues... Too often, folks take life for granted... It is understandable for players to do so given the current situation as it is... A clear-cut policy would take some of the hard decisions out of the hands of the players and coaches... The "end game" of their lives is more important even if they don't actually realize it at the current point in time.

Well said. :Clap

sd steel
03-16-2010, 12:52 AM
There is an easy fix. Play without helmets and use smaller shoulder pads. Or just play with no gear like rugby or aussie rules football. If they really want to protect the players then they would take the pads off altogether. In fact, they should be unable to wear any protective devices or anything harder than skin. No cleats would eliminate most knee injuries so play bare foot. If fact to eliminate all the serious injuries they should play barefoot, in shorts and tee shirts, and instead of tackling each other they should wear flags that the other team can rip off so you know a guy is down. Instead of playing on turf or grass, because a guy could hit his head, they just have to play on a pillow like surface, or maybe even in a shallow pool with a padded perimeter.

Yeah they could limit the injuries, but would it be the same game? I don't think so, and I will quit watching and coaching it. Football is the roughest team sport out there, but if you want to make it safer what will be next? Outlaw boxing or MMA? Lots of concussions there. A couple guys a year get killed with baseballs, should they make them softer? If people are worried about getting injured in a sport, don't play. If you are worried about your kid getting injured in a contact sport play a non contact sport. I wish everyone would quit trying to protect everyone else. Worry about yourself, and make everyone else sign a waiver that says they know of the associated risks, leaving nobody liable.

Shawn
03-16-2010, 01:14 AM
There is an easy fix. Play without helmets and use smaller shoulder pads. Or just play with no gear like rugby or aussie rules football. If they really want to protect the players then they would take the pads off altogether. In fact, they should be unable to wear any protective devices or anything harder than skin. No cleats would eliminate most knee injuries so play bare foot. If fact to eliminate all the serious injuries they should play barefoot, in shorts and tee shirts, and instead of tackling each other they should wear flags that the other team can rip off so you know a guy is down. Instead of playing on turf or grass, because a guy could hit his head, they just have to play on a pillow like surface, or maybe even in a shallow pool with a padded perimeter.

Yeah they could limit the injuries, but would it be the same game? I don't think so, and I will quit watching and coaching it. Football is the roughest team sport out there, but if you want to make it safer what will be next? Outlaw boxing or MMA? Lots of concussions there. A couple guys a year get killed with baseballs, should they make them softer? If people are worried about getting injured in a sport, don't play. If you are worried about your kid getting injured in a contact sport play a non contact sport. I wish everyone would quit trying to protect everyone else. Worry about yourself, and make everyone else sign a waiver that says they know of the associated risks, leaving nobody liable.

That's just a touch dramatic don't you think? No one is asking for the integrity of the game to be compromised. What people are asking for is taking out unnecessary risk. Football is a brutal contact sport. That won't change but if a few changes can be made to make it safer...why not?

sd steel
03-16-2010, 01:41 AM

That's just a touch dramatic don't you think? No one is asking for the integrity of the game to be compromised. What people are asking for is taking out unnecessary risk. Football is a brutal contact sport. That won't change but if a few changes can be made to make it safer...why not?
Because it will change the integrity of the game. If a receiver knows he isn't going to be hit hard, do you think he will make more catches? Football is also a game of leverage, if your body is low you win, in order for your body to be low your head has to be low thus making contact with the other player. If they didn't want people to hit with their heads they wouldn't be wearing helmets. Helmets are not a device for protection, they are a tool for tackling and blocking in football. Lose the helmet to helmet contact and lose the game as we know it. Next a running back will be penalized for running over a defenseless DB because hthe RB ran in to the DB or LB with his facemask. I would be unable to play full contact football with a helmet without using the helmet as a weapon, because that was what I was taught at 10 years old, and that is what I teach every player I coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't teach kids to spear kids, but where the head goes the rest of the body follows, otherwise you have a bunch of heavily padded kids hugging each other. Also without the heavy hitting and the helmet to helmet contact people will quit watching. It's like saying more people die in race car accidents when the cars go over 200mph, why not put govenor's on all the cars only allowing them to go 30 mph? Less people would be injured or killed.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2010, 02:29 AM

what is everyone talking about?

i played lots of football and never got drain bamage, i mean bain dramage...

Shawn
03-16-2010, 04:22 AM
[quote="sd steel":2yasm0yy]There is an easy fix. Play without helmets and use smaller shoulder pads. Or just play with no gear like rugby or aussie rules football. If they really want to protect the players then they would take the pads off altogether. In fact, they should be unable to wear any protective devices or anything harder than skin. No cleats would eliminate most knee injuries so play bare foot. If fact to eliminate all the serious injuries they should play barefoot, in shorts and tee shirts, and instead of tackling each other they should wear flags that the other team can rip off so you know a guy is down. Instead of playing on turf or grass, because a guy could hit his head, they just have to play on a pillow like surface, or maybe even in a shallow pool with a padded perimeter.

Because it will change the integrity of the game. If a receiver knows he isn't going to be hit hard, do you think he will make more catches? Football is also a game of leverage, if your body is low you win, in order for your body to be low your head has to be low thus making contact with the other player. If they didn't want people to hit with their heads they wouldn't be wearing helmets. Helmets are not a device for protection, they are a tool for tackling and blocking in football. Lose the helmet to helmet contact and lose the game as we know it. Next a running back will be penalized for running over a defenseless DB because hthe RB ran in to the DB or LB with his facemask. I would be unable to play full contact football with a helmet without using the helmet as a weapon, because that was what I was taught at 10 years old, and that is what I teach every player I coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't teach kids to spear kids, but where the head goes the rest of the body follows, otherwise you have a bunch of heavily padded kids hugging each other. Also without the heavy hitting and the helmet to helmet contact people will quit watching. It's like saying more people die in race car accidents when the cars go over 200mph, why not put govenor's on all the cars only allowing them to go 30 mph? Less people would be injured or killed.[/quote:2yasm0yy]

So you have to spear and lead with your head to deliver big blows?

sd steel
03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
[quote="sd steel":3ct5lu5e]There is an easy fix. Play without helmets and use smaller shoulder pads. Or just play with no gear like rugby or aussie rules football. If they really want to protect the players then they would take the pads off altogether. In fact, they should be unable to wear any protective devices or anything harder than skin. No cleats would eliminate most knee injuries so play bare foot. If fact to eliminate all the serious injuries they should play barefoot, in shorts and tee shirts, and instead of tackling each other they should wear flags that the other team can rip off so you know a guy is down. Instead of playing on turf or grass, because a guy could hit his head, they just have to play on a pillow like surface, or maybe even in a shallow pool with a padded perimeter.

Because it will change the integrity of the game. If a receiver knows he isn't going to be hit hard, do you think he will make more catches? Football is also a game of leverage, if your body is low you win, in order for your body to be low your head has to be low thus making contact with the other player. If they didn't want people to hit with their heads they wouldn't be wearing helmets. Helmets are not a device for protection, they are a tool for tackling and blocking in football. Lose the helmet to helmet contact and lose the game as we know it. Next a running back will be penalized for running over a defenseless DB because hthe RB ran in to the DB or LB with his facemask. I would be unable to play full contact football with a helmet without using the helmet as a weapon, because that was what I was taught at 10 years old, and that is what I teach every player I coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't teach kids to spear kids, but where the head goes the rest of the body follows, otherwise you have a bunch of heavily padded kids hugging each other. Also without the heavy hitting and the helmet to helmet contact people will quit watching. It's like saying more people die in race car accidents when the cars go over 200mph, why not put govenor's on all the cars only allowing them to go 30 mph? Less people would be injured or killed.

So you have to spear and lead with your head to deliver big blows?[/quote:3ct5lu5e]

Not spear, but to properly tackle someone you do have to lead with your head, although your facemask is up.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
There have been many changes to the game with player safety in mind...no more Night Train Lane clotheslines, no more Deacon Jones head slaps, no more Roy Williams horsecollars...did these change the integrity of the game?

RussBII
03-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Mandatory down time of at least two weeks after a concussion definately needs to be implemented.

Teams and fans won't like hearing about it at first, but just like with every other rule change, they will adjust to it.

Rosters and practice squads would most likely have to be expanded a bit too in order to make sure teams have the depth needed to fill voids created by the rule.

Don't you think that could lead to more head hunting? Take this last years playoffs. There were 3 rematches from the PREVIOUS week in the Wild Card round.

Take a little extra shot at someone, guarantee he's out for two weeks?

ANPSTEEL
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM

SD Steel’s comments are very interesting-

I have often thought about ways to change the game, in efforts to make it safer- or more specifically, to significantly reduce head trauma.

Over the years I suffered at least 5 – maybe 6 concussions. Admittedly, two of the most serious happened outside of organized football, one of which I was unconscious for 3 days, and the neurologists thought I might never recover from.

While I don’t have medical testing to provide a baseline of pre-injury brain activity, I am very aware of my post injury behavior.

I loved playing football. When I was younger, I couldn’t imagine anything I’d rather do than play in the NFL- except maybe be an astronaut ;)

I don’t have children- but if I did, I’m not entirely sure I’d want them playing football- because of my perception of how these injuries have impacted my life.

Aside from coaching the kids to tackle with their heads up- not to use the helmet as a weapon, I don’t think there is much that can be done without radically changing the game. Which to me- would ruin the game. Football is a tough sport. Growing up, that “toughness” was a large part of the attraction.

In the end- I vacillate on that impact- how much of the changes were the result of non-head trauma issues. And, more importantly, are some people just genetically more susceptible to head trauma? I played with plenty of guys who were much more “reckless” in their approach, yet didn’t seem to suffer the head injuries I encountered.

Football is football. I, like most everyone, would like to see the game made more safe. Protect the players (of all levels) as much as you can, but don’t ruin it; this is the fine line.

having said all that- here is my suggestion in respect to "changing the game":

Someone should start a league, where the players wore pads of the type from the 30s. (meaning cloth & leather)

I do not think this would change the spirit of the game, but it would definitely eliminate most of the devastating hits the NFL hypocritically promotes.

By eliminating the hard “shell” that we are accustomed to now- you would certainly reduce the overall incidence of head trauma. (But, in a trade-off scenario, you might see a more compound fractures.)

Without that "shell" players would keep their heads and faces out of the impact. Shoulder and arms would be used to tackle the ball carrier.

I would not suggest imposing this change upon the NFL, because the change is too dramatic and would threaten the cash cow of TV revenue – thus they would never do it.

But- if a small start up league were to do it, and show that it could grow a fan base- would that be an effective way of changing the sport??

Just an idea-

SteelAbility
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I've always wondered why helmets can't be replaced by a giant spherical foam pad that has lot's of "give" in it so as to absorb virtually all of the initial contact. The players would all look they were in a 70s funk band, but hey they'd be safer right? :mrgreen:

BlackJackGold
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Don't you think that could lead to more head hunting? Take this last years playoffs. There were 3 rematches from the PREVIOUS week in the Wild Card round.

It could also lead to players not reporting the injury...

We can always find a pro or a con to any suggestion.

Bottom line is that a concussion is a lot more serious than what was once thought.

TBH, two weeks really isn't long enough in most cases.

Especially for a player who has had multiple occurances in their lifetime.

Returning within a week is just nuts.....

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Bottom line is that a concussion is a lot more serious than what was once thought.

They would have to be given Dr. Maroon's imPACT test on the spot to see how their visual tracking, reaction time, and short-term memory capabilities compare to baseline values that are taken when players are fully healthy in the offseason. If any of those measures of brain function are significantly off normal after getting dinged up, then they sit...no questions asked. It's a more quantitative measure than we've had before.

RussBII
03-16-2010, 04:52 PM

They would have to be given Dr. Maroon's imPACT test on the spot to see how their visual tracking, reaction time, and short-term memory capabilities compare to baseline values that are taken when players are fully healthy in the offseason. If any of those measures of brain function are significantly off normal after getting dinged up, then they sit...no questions asked. It's a more quantitative measure than we've had before.

Aside from the head hunting that I think would happen, a good quantitative test could be given before and after EVERY game.

I do like the idea of reducing the amount of full contact hitting in practice, but I'm not sure how realistic that is, and how tough it would be to enforce...

NorthCoast
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
All I know is Big Ben had better be careful, too many 'blows' to the 'head' will lead to recurring concussions. This latest incident in Georgia makes it how many now.....3..4?

...............sorry, couldn't resist......

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
All I know is Big Ben had better be careful, too many 'blows' to the 'head' will lead to recurring concussions. This latest incident in Georgia makes it how many now.....3..4?

...............sorry, couldn't resist......

well, that's at least four that we know of : Andrea "Lake Tahoe" McNulty, actress Missy Peregrym, golfer Natalie Gulbis and this latest Milledgeville, Ga coed.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ERGrznxTIwo/Smd1ZTv3PTI/AAAAAAAAWlk/XYZR0NFXx7c/Ben%20Roethlisberger%20Accuser%20Andrea%20McNulty% 20picture%5B6%5D.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/BRudes/Mperegrym.jpg

http://wendellwallace.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/natalie_gulbis-fhm-05.jpg

birtikidis
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Didn't they introduce helmets to make the game safer? weren't people DYING way back in the day (from trauma not hidden heart problems). I took a history of sports class (best class ever, thank you EUP for offering!), I can't remember the exact number but there were like 3-4 deaths a year from trauma, and the game was only at the college level at that point (this was pre-leather helmet days).