PDA

View Full Version : Look who NFL Draft Countdown has at #18 in latest mock

Oviedo
03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php

The vision is becoming clearer to everyone who wants to see it!!!!!

18 PITTSBURGH STEELERS: C.J. SPILLER, RB, CLEMSON

Scouting Report
In recent years the Steelers have drafted with an eye toward the future but after a disappointing post-Super Bowl season in which they missed the playoffs that philosophy might have to change a bit. A couple of years ago Pittsburgh used their first round pick on Rashard Mendenhall and this time around they may opt to bring in Clemson's C.J. Spiller to replace Willie Parker as the “Lightning” to Mendenhall’s “Thunder”. A versatile player with blazing speed who is capable of making an impact as a runner, receiver and return man, Spiller isn’t an every down workhorse but he is an explosive playmaker that defenses must account for at all times. It’s not an exaggeration to say that Spiller is a threat to take it the distance at any time from anywhere on the field and the success that fellow speed demon Chris Johnson is having in the NFL will surely work in Spiller's favor on Draft Day. The Steelers could also use some help along the offensive line so Idaho’s Mike Iupati and Florida’s Maurkice Pouncey could be options at this point as well. There are many who feel the Steelers could use an upgrade at cornerback but keep in mind that they just used third (Keenan Lewis) and fifth (Joe Burnett) round picks on cover guys last year. Don’t be shocked if the Steelers follow their recent M.O. and just throw everyone a curve ball either.

Jom112
03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I like draft countdown for their information, but their mocks are usually way off.

Also it would suck if you guys got him... :moon

Lebsteel
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Scouting Report
In recent years the Steelers have drafted with an eye toward the future but after a disappointing post-Super Bowl season in which they missed the playoffs that philosophy might have to change a bit. A couple of years ago Pittsburgh used their first round pick on Rashard Mendenhall and this time around they may opt to bring in Clemson's C.J. Spiller to replace Willie Parker as the “Lightning” to Mendenhall’s “Thunder”. A versatile player with blazing speed who is capable of making an impact as a runner, receiver and return man, Spiller isn’t an every down workhorse but he is an explosive playmaker that defenses must account for at all times. It’s not an exaggeration to say that Spiller is a threat to take it the distance at any time from anywhere on the field and the success that fellow speed demon Chris Johnson is having in the NFL will surely work in Spiller's favor on Draft Day. The Steelers could also use some help along the offensive line so Idaho’s Mike Iupati and Florida’s Maurkice Pouncey could be options at this point as well. There are many who feel the Steelers could use an upgrade at cornerback but keep in mind that they just used third (Keenan Lewis) and fifth (Joe Burnett) round picks on cover guys last year. Don’t be shocked if the Steelers follow their recent M.O. and just throw everyone a curve ball either.

Good, Scott Wright is never Right. Actually, in all seriousness, Ovi, I'd much rather have Spiller than Iupati. But, I'd still take Odrick, McClain, Spoon, Haden or Thomas before Spiller.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
With us filling most of our needs, possible retirement of Ward, and impending legal actions against Ben I'm not totally against Spiller. If things don't work out we will need a plamaker on O. With that said, he is still a second string/part time back at #18. I would rather see us draft Weatherspoon, Odrick, Haden, Thomas, Dan Williams, and Cody before I would want Spiller at 18.

Lebsteel
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
With us filling most of our needs, possible retirement of Ward, and impending legal actions against Ben I'm not totally against Spiller. If things don't work out we will need a plamaker on O. With that said, he is still a second string/part time back at #18. I would rather see us draft Weatherspoon, Odrick, Haden, Thomas, Dan Williams, and Cody before I would want Spiller at 18.
CODY....WHATTTTTT???? :stirpot I'd take Iupati before Cody, but I like your other picks.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think Spiller makes it all the way down to us at #18 anyway, so this may very well be a moot point.

However, Spiller is a Top 10 talent and a playmaker. if he is still available when we draft I would have no problem with selecting him.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
CODY....WHATTTTTT???? :stirpot I'd take Iupati before Cody, but I like your other picks.

Just say no to Iubusti. :D

SteelBucks
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Scouting Report

I would be thrilled if Spiller fell to #18. Now we just need someone to block for him.

flippy
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm ok with Spiller if he's there. I've been thinking for some time that he and Gresham may be the best on the board when we pick.

I wonder if BA could get Mendy and Spiller into a pony package?

I'd really be ok with Spiller if we could feature a dynamic 2 back set.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't think Spiller makes it all the way down to us at #18 anyway, so this may very well be a moot point.

However, Spiller is a Top 10 talent and a playmaker. if he is still available when we draft I would have no problem with selecting him.

Perry Biggerstaff's 2010 NFL Mock Draft V2

First-Round Draft Projections
Sunday, March 14, 2010

1. St. Louis Rams - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: QB, DE, DT, OG, CB, WR
After all the hype of the Rams taking Suh with the first pick has settled down, the draftniks are finally using their heads. A team is built around a franchise QB. Especially a team that has already invested two high draft picks at DT in the last couple of years. The Rams have shown a great deal of interest in Bradford and since no one is going to want to trade for a overall #1 pick and his subsequent contract....look for the Rams to take the Oklahoma product with the first pick in this years draft.

2. Detroit Lions - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
TEAM NEEDS: DT, CB, DE, LT, OG, WR, OL DEPTH
The Lions picked up a DT in FA but they have major needs on the defensive front. Suh not only brings incredible skills and lights out athleticism, but will instantly energize the Lions fan base. The DT from Nebraska is nothing less than one of the best DT's to come out of college in the last 10 years. He is a high character player with incredible upside, able to play anywhere on the defensive front.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: DT, DE, WR, CB, S, OL DEPTH
The Buccaneers would love to draft Ndamukong Suh, but things are going pretty good when your consolation prize is Gerald McCoy. Some experts say that there is little difference between the two when you watch game tape, which is the true measure of a player's ability. McCoy may not be as strong as Suh, but he is more of a glass eater.

4. Washington Redskins - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
TEAM NEEDS: OT, QB, SLB, RB, OG, C
There is a chance that Washington will draft a QB if they feel that Campbell is not the answer and that Clausen fits their system. The Redskins have a hole in their front line with the loss of Chris Samuel and Okung can provide blind side protection for whoever lines up behind center.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
TEAM NEEDS: OT, OG, 3-4 OLB, WR, 3-4 NT, C, S
Bryan Bulaga will allow Brandon Albert to move to his more natural position of offensive guard. The Chiefs will get stronger in the trenches this year, upgrading their offensive and defensive line.

6. Seattle Seahawks - QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
TEAM NEEDS: LT, OG, QB, RB, S, DL
I originally had Eric Berry in this slot, but with Clausen falling out of the top 5, Seattle will draft their QB of the future. Perfect situation for the Notre Dame QB. He will be able to learn the system and how to play at the NFL level behind incumbent QB Matt Hasselback.

7. Cleveland Browns - SS/FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
TEAM NEEDS: RT, 3-4 DE, ILB, CB, WR, S, TE
I traditionally don't like to project safeties in the top 10, due to history showing that a good safety can be drafted in any round. With Cleveland it's easier to make the exception. The Browns need a lot of help in their secondary and Berry is athletic enough to play anywhere in the backfield.

8. Oakland Raiders - OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
TEAM NEEDS: 4-3 NT, DE, OT, RG, CB, LB, QB
A lot of drafts have OT's Anthony Davis or Trent Williams in this slot. I am going to stick with Cambell. Al Davis has shown no ability to look beyond physical measurements and Bruce Campbell is a freak. I predicted in my last mock that Campbell would be a combine warrior and the Maryland Tackle didn't disappoint.

9. Buffalo Bills - OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: QB, LT, DT, OLB, WR, OL DEPTH
I think some people are over thinking this pick. The Bills released Jason Peters last year without a proper replacement and promptly fielded a patchwork offensive line all season long. Williams will fill the Bills most glaring need.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
TEAM NEEDS: DE, OG, S, DT, C, WR
Jacksonville had next to no pass rush last year. Morgan should be able to upgrade the D-line and subsequently help the secondary by putting pressure on the QB.

11. Denver Broncos - ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama
TEAM NEEDS: DT, S, OT, MLB, CB DEPTH
The Broncos may have drafted a NT at this slot, but they have picked up Jamal Williams who was released by the Chargers. With the front of their defense shored up they will probably grab McClain who is a rare 3-4 ILB talent.

12. Miami Dolphins - NT Dan Williams, Tennessee
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 NT, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, WR, S, OL DEPTH
With the signing of Dansby taking care of the Miami's need for a OLB, the Dolphins grab the best NT in this draft. Dan Williams stock is rising as teams begin to tap into the realization that true NT's are hard to find and this is a supply and demand league.

13. San Francisco 49ers - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
TEAM NEEDS: OT, CB, OG, DE/OLB, S, 3-4 NT
The 49ers have two picks in the top 20. Look for San Francisco to upgrade their O-line with the first pick, with the knowledge that the best of the offensive tackles may be gone if they wait. Anthony Davis has slid a bit lately but is still one of the "big 4" OT's that should go in the upper half of the first round.

14. Seattle Seahawks - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
With the #29 ranked running game last year, Seattle grabs the dynamic playmaker out of Clemson. The future looks bright for the Seahawks if they grab their future QB and star RB in this draft.

15. New York Giants - LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 DE, C, 3-4 NT, OG, 3-4 ILB, WR, CB
The Giants may attempt to trade up for McClain, but with the emergence of the versatile Weatherspoon as a potential ILB, the Giants could stand pat and grab young, brash linebacker to replace Antonio Pierce. I might be a little concerned about Weatherspoon's personality mixed with the bright lights of New York but if he can stay grounded, he could flourish.

16. Tennessee Titans - CB Joe Haden, Florida
TEAM NEEDS: DE, CB, OG, OLB, WR, OL DEPTH
Haden's forty time drops him out of the top 10, but as the best cover corner in this draft he wont make it past the Titans. If Haden runs faster at his pro-day, he will be drafted earlier than this and the Titans will probably go with a WR.

17. San Francisco 49ers - OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
San Francisco helped their O-line with their first pick and grabs a linebacker that will make Coach Singletary smile with their second. Perfect 3-4 OLB prospect with incredible upside. Look for the 49ers to become the team to beat in the NFC West.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Earl Thomas, Texas
TEAM NEEDS: CB, OT, FS, OG, 3-4 NT, 3-4 ILB, 3-4 OLB DEPTH
The Steelers have been unusually busy in the offseason. They have managed to keep their three priority free agents and have added depth at a few key positions. Pittsburgh still needs youth at several defensive spots. With NT Dan Williams and the top two ILB's off the board, look for the Steelers to bring in the versatile Earl Thomas who might become the best CB on their team. It doesn't hurt that he can fill in competently at the safety position.

19. Atlanta Falcons - DE Everson Griffen, USC
TEAM NEEDS: CB, DE, OLB, WR/TE, OL DEPTH, DT DEPTH
The return of Peria Jerry should help the Falcons anemic pass rush. Add Everson Griffin to the equation and the Falcons have the beginnings of a D-line that has been a weakness for too long.

20. Houston Texans - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
TEAM NEEDS: OG, CB, 4-3 NT, FS, DE DEPTH, RB
Mike Iupati has emerged as the best Guard in this draft. He has a few issues at pass protection but is a day one starter for a team that is already offensively potent.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
TEAM NEEDS: OG, S, TE, WR, DT, SLB
The closer we get to the draft the more I think we will see WR's value drop a bit. Bryant is a good fit for the Bengals who need someone to line up on the other side of Chad Ocho-Cinco. TE is a possibility here but there is enough value in the second round to warrant waiting to fill that position.

22. New England Patriots - DT Jared Odrick, Penn State
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE, OG, ILB DEPTH, TE, WR DEPTH
I have projected the Patriots to draft a DE in the first round for awhile. Odrick is a perfect candidate to move to 3-4 DE and the Patriots desperately need a presence at a position that has been undermanned since Seymour was let go.

23. Green Bay Packers - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
TEAM NEEDS: LT, CB, S, DL, 3-4 OLB DEPTH, RB
Kyle Wilson has made a believer out of most of his doubters. The Packers corners are aging and they could easily use a starter to replace Al Harris. At the very least Kyle Wilson provides depth to a very thin position.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
TEAM NEEDS: DE, FS, OG, CB depth, OLB, RB DEPTH
Outside of Trent Cole, the Eagles have very little in the way of DE's. Pierre-Paul is a bit of a one year wonder, so there is some gamble to taking him in the first round, but I look for a team like the Eagles to take a chance that is past years performance translates to the Pro level.

25. Baltimore Ravens - CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
TEAM NEEDS: WR, CB, DE/OLB, TE, DL DEPTH
The Ravens filled their biggest need in a big way by picking up Anquan Boldin in Free Agency. I do look for Baltimore to find another WR in the later rounds of this draft, but in the first round I think they find a solution to their poor cornerback play. Devin McCourty is one of my favorite CB's in this draft and I think that in a few years he will mentioned as one of the best in the NFL.

26. Arizona Cardinals - OT Charles Brown, Southern California
TEAM NEEDS: LT, ILB, OLB, OL DEPTH, CB, TE
Brown showed up at the combine a little heavier than anticipated. That was a good thing for his draft value as some had written off as a finesse zone blocking OT. The truth is that Brown is a very strong specimen that might take a short while to touch up his technique, but who has the potential for a very good payoff.

27. Dallas Cowboys - S Taylor Mays, USC
TEAM NEEDS: OT, FS, ILB, DE, CB DEPTH, OG DEPTH
Mays is ultra athletic and some think that his coverage problems are correctable. I think he is a great fit for the Cowboys who would find more value at the safety spot than at their other needs.

28. San Diego Chargers - RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
TEAM NEEDS: RB, RT, 3-4 NT, CB, 3-4 DE, LB DEPTH
Matthews is another draft climber and has cemented himself as the second best RB in this draft. Look for San Diego to grab a premier RB in the first round and look for a NT replacement for Williams in the second.

29. New York Jets - OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, OG, CB, WR, 3-4 NT
A prospect that has compared himself to the Steelers Lamarr Woodley. OLB is the biggest team need for the Jets, though it's possible that they might go with a Defensive End if they find Carlos Dunlap as an attractive prospect.

30. Minnesota Vikings - QB Colt McCoy, Texas
TEAM NEEDS: OG, S, CB DEPTH, QB, LB DEPTH, DL DEPTH
This is the pick that I am going to get the most criticism about. Under ideal circumstance McCoy can learn under Brett Farve, but if the Vikings starting QB retires (again) McCoy is the only prospect left on the board that has first year starting potential. Technically this pick isn't that much of a reach since I have McCoy rated as the #39 overall talent this year.

31. Indianapolis Colts - DT Brian Price, UCLA
TEAM NEEDS: DT, OT, CB, OG, DE DEPTH, LB DEPTH
If Brown was still available, the Colts may go OT, but I think that DT is actually a bigger need. Price is a beast. He had 23.5 tackles for loss and 7 sacks last year. The Colts are a tough team to predict as they will buck conventional wisdom and draft for need over BPA.

32. New Orleans Saints - DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
TEAM NEEDS: OLB, NT, DE, C, OT DEPTH, TE DEPTH
With the aging and injured Charles Grant being released, the Saints can retool the DE position with 6-6 277 pounds Carlos Dunlap. Dunlap has a few character issued that the Saints will look at carefully, but if he passes muster he strengthens the position dramatically.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm ok with Spiller if he's there. I've been thinking for some time that he and Gresham may be the best on the board when we pick.

I wonder if BA could get Mendy and Spiller into a pony package?

I'd really be ok with Spiller if we could feature a dynamic 2 back set.

That's an interesting thought.

Jom112
03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Rumor has it, CJ Spiller scored a 10 on the Wonderlic at the combine. Doesn't mean much, except that he's dumb... :lol:

Yes, I know I'm being a :Hater

Shawn
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Rumor has it, CJ Spiller scored a 10 on the Wonderlic at the combine. Doesn't mean much, except that he's dumb... :lol:

Yes, I know I'm being a :Hater

That kid may be the stupidest son of a bitch I've ever seen, but he sure is fast!

Just say no to CJ Gump.

:lol:

Jom112
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
The rest of the RB scores:

Some of the other top performers among the running backs include BYU’s Manase Tonga (29), LSU’s Charles Scott (26), Tennessee’s Montario Hardesty (25), Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon (25) and North Dakota State’s Pat Paschall (25).

Rounding out the bottom of the class was Clemson’s C.J. Spiller, who scored a 10.

Other Notable Scores

Jahvid Best (California): 24
LeGarrette Blount (Oregon): 16
Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech): 17
Ryan Mathews (Fresno State): 16
Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss): 18

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ger ... score.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Gerhart-posts-top-RB-Wonderlic-score.html)

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Perry Biggerstaff's 2010 NFL Mock Draft V2

First-Round Draft Projections
Sunday, March 14, 2010

1. St. Louis Rams - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: QB, DE, DT, OG, CB, WR
After all the hype of the Rams taking Suh with the first pick has settled down, the draftniks are finally using their heads. A team is built around a franchise QB. Especially a team that has already invested two high draft picks at DT in the last couple of years. The Rams have shown a great deal of interest in Bradford and since no one is going to want to trade for a overall #1 pick and his subsequent contract....look for the Rams to take the Oklahoma product with the first pick in this years draft.

2. Detroit Lions - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
TEAM NEEDS: DT, CB, DE, LT, OG, WR, OL DEPTH
The Lions picked up a DT in FA but they have major needs on the defensive front. Suh not only brings incredible skills and lights out athleticism, but will instantly energize the Lions fan base. The DT from Nebraska is nothing less than one of the best DT's to come out of college in the last 10 years. He is a high character player with incredible upside, able to play anywhere on the defensive front.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: DT, DE, WR, CB, S, OL DEPTH
The Buccaneers would love to draft Ndamukong Suh, but things are going pretty good when your consolation prize is Gerald McCoy. Some experts say that there is little difference between the two when you watch game tape, which is the true measure of a player's ability. McCoy may not be as strong as Suh, but he is more of a glass eater.

4. Washington Redskins - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
TEAM NEEDS: OT, QB, SLB, RB, OG, C
There is a chance that Washington will draft a QB if they feel that Campbell is not the answer and that Clausen fits their system. The Redskins have a hole in their front line with the loss of Chris Samuel and Okung can provide blind side protection for whoever lines up behind center.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
TEAM NEEDS: OT, OG, 3-4 OLB, WR, 3-4 NT, C, S
Bryan Bulaga will allow Brandon Albert to move to his more natural position of offensive guard. The Chiefs will get stronger in the trenches this year, upgrading their offensive and defensive line.

6. Seattle Seahawks - QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
I originally had Eric Berry in this slot, but with Clausen falling out of the top 5, Seattle will draft their QB of the future. Perfect situation for the Notre Dame QB. He will be able to learn the system and how to play at the NFL level behind incumbent QB Matt Hasselback.

7. Cleveland Browns - SS/FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
TEAM NEEDS: RT, 3-4 DE, ILB, CB, WR, S, TE
I traditionally don't like to project safeties in the top 10, due to history showing that a good safety can be drafted in any round. With Cleveland it's easier to make the exception. The Browns need a lot of help in their secondary and Berry is athletic enough to play anywhere in the backfield.

8. Oakland Raiders - OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
TEAM NEEDS: 4-3 NT, DE, OT, RG, CB, LB, QB
A lot of drafts have OT's Anthony Davis or Trent Williams in this slot. I am going to stick with Cambell. Al Davis has shown no ability to look beyond physical measurements and Bruce Campbell is a freak. I predicted in my last mock that Campbell would be a combine warrior and the Maryland Tackle didn't disappoint.

9. Buffalo Bills - OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
TEAM NEEDS: QB, LT, DT, OLB, WR, OL DEPTH
I think some people are over thinking this pick. The Bills released Jason Peters last year without a proper replacement and promptly fielded a patchwork offensive line all season long. Williams will fill the Bills most glaring need.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
TEAM NEEDS: DE, OG, S, DT, C, WR
Jacksonville had next to no pass rush last year. Morgan should be able to upgrade the D-line and subsequently help the secondary by putting pressure on the QB.

11. Denver Broncos - ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama
TEAM NEEDS: DT, S, OT, MLB, CB DEPTH
The Broncos may have drafted a NT at this slot, but they have picked up Jamal Williams who was released by the Chargers. With the front of their defense shored up they will probably grab McClain who is a rare 3-4 ILB talent.

12. Miami Dolphins - NT Dan Williams, Tennessee
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 NT, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, WR, S, OL DEPTH
With the signing of Dansby taking care of the Miami's need for a OLB, the Dolphins grab the best NT in this draft. Dan Williams stock is rising as teams begin to tap into the realization that true NT's are hard to find and this is a supply and demand league.

13. San Francisco 49ers - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
The 49ers have two picks in the top 20. Look for San Francisco to upgrade their O-line with the first pick, with the knowledge that the best of the offensive tackles may be gone if they wait. Anthony Davis has slid a bit lately but is still one of the "big 4" OT's that should go in the upper half of the first round.

14. Seattle Seahawks - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
With the #29 ranked running game last year, Seattle grabs the dynamic playmaker out of Clemson. The future looks bright for the Seahawks if they grab their future QB and star RB in this draft.

15. New York Giants - LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 DE, C, 3-4 NT, OG, 3-4 ILB, WR, CB
The Giants may attempt to trade up for McClain, but with the emergence of the versatile Weatherspoon as a potential ILB, the Giants could stand pat and grab young, brash linebacker to replace Antonio Pierce. I might be a little concerned about Weatherspoon's personality mixed with the bright lights of New York but if he can stay grounded, he could flourish.

16. Tennessee Titans - CB Joe Haden, Florida
TEAM NEEDS: DE, CB, OG, OLB, WR, OL DEPTH
Haden's forty time drops him out of the top 10, but as the best cover corner in this draft he wont make it past the Titans. If Haden runs faster at his pro-day, he will be drafted earlier than this and the Titans will probably go with a WR.

17. San Francisco 49ers - OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
San Francisco helped their O-line with their first pick and grabs a linebacker that will make Coach Singletary smile with their second. Perfect 3-4 OLB prospect with incredible upside. Look for the 49ers to become the team to beat in the NFC West.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Earl Thomas, Texas
TEAM NEEDS: CB, OT, FS, OG, 3-4 NT, 3-4 ILB, 3-4 OLB DEPTH
The Steelers have been unusually busy in the offseason. They have managed to keep their three priority free agents and have added depth at a few key positions. Pittsburgh still needs youth at several defensive spots. With NT Dan Williams and the top two ILB's off the board, look for the Steelers to bring in the versatile Earl Thomas who might become the best CB on their team. It doesn't hurt that he can fill in competently at the safety position.

19. Atlanta Falcons - DE Everson Griffen, USC
TEAM NEEDS: CB, DE, OLB, WR/TE, OL DEPTH, DT DEPTH
The return of Peria Jerry should help the Falcons anemic pass rush. Add Everson Griffin to the equation and the Falcons have the beginnings of a D-line that has been a weakness for too long.

20. Houston Texans - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
TEAM NEEDS: OG, CB, 4-3 NT, FS, DE DEPTH, RB
Mike Iupati has emerged as the best Guard in this draft. He has a few issues at pass protection but is a day one starter for a team that is already offensively potent.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
TEAM NEEDS: OG, S, TE, WR, DT, SLB
The closer we get to the draft the more I think we will see WR's value drop a bit. Bryant is a good fit for the Bengals who need someone to line up on the other side of Chad Ocho-Cinco. TE is a possibility here but there is enough value in the second round to warrant waiting to fill that position.

22. New England Patriots - DT Jared Odrick, Penn State
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE, OG, ILB DEPTH, TE, WR DEPTH
I have projected the Patriots to draft a DE in the first round for awhile. Odrick is a perfect candidate to move to 3-4 DE and the Patriots desperately need a presence at a position that has been undermanned since Seymour was let go.

23. Green Bay Packers - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
TEAM NEEDS: LT, CB, S, DL, 3-4 OLB DEPTH, RB
Kyle Wilson has made a believer out of most of his doubters. The Packers corners are aging and they could easily use a starter to replace Al Harris. At the very least Kyle Wilson provides depth to a very thin position.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
TEAM NEEDS: DE, FS, OG, CB depth, OLB, RB DEPTH
Outside of Trent Cole, the Eagles have very little in the way of DE's. Pierre-Paul is a bit of a one year wonder, so there is some gamble to taking him in the first round, but I look for a team like the Eagles to take a chance that is past years performance translates to the Pro level.

25. Baltimore Ravens - CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
TEAM NEEDS: WR, CB, DE/OLB, TE, DL DEPTH
The Ravens filled their biggest need in a big way by picking up Anquan Boldin in Free Agency. I do look for Baltimore to find another WR in the later rounds of this draft, but in the first round I think they find a solution to their poor cornerback play. Devin McCourty is one of my favorite CB's in this draft and I think that in a few years he will mentioned as one of the best in the NFL.

26. Arizona Cardinals - OT Charles Brown, Southern California
TEAM NEEDS: LT, ILB, OLB, OL DEPTH, CB, TE
Brown showed up at the combine a little heavier than anticipated. That was a good thing for his draft value as some had written off as a finesse zone blocking OT. The truth is that Brown is a very strong specimen that might take a short while to touch up his technique, but who has the potential for a very good payoff.

27. Dallas Cowboys - S Taylor Mays, USC
TEAM NEEDS: OT, FS, ILB, DE, CB DEPTH, OG DEPTH
Mays is ultra athletic and some think that his coverage problems are correctable. I think he is a great fit for the Cowboys who would find more value at the safety spot than at their other needs.

28. San Diego Chargers - RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
TEAM NEEDS: RB, RT, 3-4 NT, CB, 3-4 DE, LB DEPTH
Matthews is another draft climber and has cemented himself as the second best RB in this draft. Look for San Diego to grab a premier RB in the first round and look for a NT replacement for Williams in the second.

29. New York Jets - OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan
TEAM NEEDS: 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, OG, CB, WR, 3-4 NT
A prospect that has compared himself to the Steelers Lamarr Woodley. OLB is the biggest team need for the Jets, though it's possible that they might go with a Defensive End if they find Carlos Dunlap as an attractive prospect.

30. Minnesota Vikings - QB Colt McCoy, Texas
TEAM NEEDS: OG, S, CB DEPTH, QB, LB DEPTH, DL DEPTH
This is the pick that I am going to get the most criticism about. Under ideal circumstance McCoy can learn under Brett Farve, but if the Vikings starting QB retires (again) McCoy is the only prospect left on the board that has first year starting potential. Technically this pick isn't that much of a reach since I have McCoy rated as the #39 overall talent this year.

31. Indianapolis Colts - DT Brian Price, UCLA
TEAM NEEDS: DT, OT, CB, OG, DE DEPTH, LB DEPTH
If Brown was still available, the Colts may go OT, but I think that DT is actually a bigger need. Price is a beast. He had 23.5 tackles for loss and 7 sacks last year. The Colts are a tough team to predict as they will buck conventional wisdom and draft for need over BPA.

32. New Orleans Saints - DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
TEAM NEEDS: OLB, NT, DE, C, OT DEPTH, TE DEPTH
With the aging and injured Charles Grant being released, the Saints can retool the DE position with 6-6 277 pounds Carlos Dunlap. Dunlap has a few character issued that the Saints will look at carefully, but if he passes muster he strengthens the position dramatically.

That top 10 looks pretty good. The Rams and Seahawks could use QB's of the future. I see Suh and McCoy coming off the board at #2 and #3. Washington, Kansas City, Oakland, and Buffalo could all use tackles. The wildcard in the middle of it all is Cleveland under new QB Mike Holmgren. What if they don't see value in taking a safety in the top 10 and fall in love with someone like Morgan, McClain, Haden, Spiller, etc. instead? That could mean that Berry could potentially fall to #10, and I would trade our first and second round picks to Jacksonville for him in a second (even though we re-signed Clark it would be worth it). Jacksonville has to second round pick (traded it to New England last year) and probably would like a round 2 pick so they could take Tebow there. At #18 instead of #10, maybe they don't get Morgan, but they could get Pierre-Paul or Griffen instead. Win-win for both. I would love for it to fall that way.

Iron Shiek
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM
RB isn't a "high wunderlic score must". Just run, pick up a rusher every now and then. If that was your qb's or C's score...I'd be worried (VY rings a bell).

Lebsteel
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
RB, now that Clark is signed for the next 4 years, I can't see them trading a 2nd round pick for Berry, even though he is an elite talent. They can't pay Clark starter money for riding the bench and that is where he would be with Berry as our pick. If we hadn't signed Clark, that might be worth it, but not now IMO.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
The wildcard in the middle of it all is Cleveland under new Team President Mike Holmgren.

could be just a smokescreen of course, but it is a distinct possibility that the Clowns try to trade ahead of the Seahags in order to grab Bradford or Clausen.

Browns | Holmgren will consider QB in first round

Mon, 15 Mar 2010

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren said the team will consider taking a quarterback in the 2010 NFL Draft. Holmgren said the team would also consider trading up to get a quarterback.

NW Steeler
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I still like the idea of Thomas, mostly due to his versatility. He could help us right off the bat as the nickel back (as some have already pointed out). He also provides depth in case of injury to Troy or Clark. If the big boys are all of the board, he makes a lot of sense.