PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
This just keeps getting worse sounding. Uggh.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/12/at-s ... utweigh-a/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/12/at-scene-of-roethlisbergers-alleged-crime-questions-outweigh-a/)

A narrow hallway leads to a tiny unisex bathroom that's nothing really more than a utility closet with a sink and toilet.

The club's bouncers kept people away from the area Thursday night, a week after a 20-year-old college student alleged that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in that room. Instead of a VIP area behind a black curtain where only attractive females were allowed to venture, a $20-per-head rap concert was held in a large rear area of the Capital City Night Club.

The bass concussed the walls of this more than 100-year-old building, but nothing like the reverberations that have hit this small college town and threaten Roethlisberger's livelihood -- and possibly freedom.

"His bodyguards were back there guarding the door to the bathroom,'' said Thomas Freeman, a 19-year-old freshman at Georgia College & State University, who was present the night of the alleged incident. "I don't know exactly what was going on."

Investigators from the Milledgeville Police Department and the Georgia Department of Investigations have attempted to piece that together, interviewing dozens of people who were inside the club at the time of the alleged incident and securing video footage from the club.

Those who returned to Capital City Thursday night described what kind of exclusive environment the back room became once Roethlisberger walked in with a half-dozen friends -- including two Pennsylvania law enforcement officers who acted as his security -- along with a handful of females, including the accuser.

Club managers allowed the group to take over the back room and assigned two staffers to control who entered the area, which has its own bar. One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

"He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."

Roethlisberger, who was interviewed briefly after the accuser reported the incident in the early morning hours of March 5, has not yet returned for an in-depth talk with police.

Police also had their own questions to answer on Friday after the Milledgeville Union-Recorder published photos of two uniformed officers posing with Roethlisberger before the alleged incident took place. Milledgeville Police Chief Woodrow W. Blue said the officers won't be disciplined since there was no set policy against posing for photos.

Blue also said his investigators "are going through the process" in the Roethlisberger case, which is one of an unusually high number of serious crimes -- including a murder -- the Milledgeville Police Department is currently handling.

"We have not set any kind of timetable," Blue told FanHouse. "It's more important to get to the facts and find out what happened. We are just taking our time and making sure we do a thorough and complete investigation."

Blue refused to comment on how soon officers may again talk to Roethlisberger, who is reportedly back in Pittsburgh, and if he thought it would take a court order to get a DNA sample from the quarterback.

"That's part of the investigation," Blue said. "We will not release any facts."

It's not just the police who are doing the investigating. A private investigator hired by Roethlisberger's attorney, Ed Garland, has bounced around town in his silver Porsche, talking to many of the same people police have interviewed.

"Rest assured we are looking into everything," private investigator Charles Mittelstadt said outside the police station Friday.

Messages left for the accuser's attorney, Lee Parks of Atlanta, were not returned.

Many residents of Milledgeville, a town of about 20,000 located two hours from Atlanta, wish Roethlisberger would have stayed in his mansion on a nearby lake to celebrate his 28th birthday.

"Roethlisberger doesn't live in Milledgeville," said John Ferguson, an orthodontist and president of the Milledgeville Rotary Club. "He does live about 35 miles away, but we do have a lot of bars in town."

Ferguson described the biggest problem downtown where Capital City and other businesses are located: parking.

This is the second time in as many years Milledgeville entered the national lexicon.

The CBS Evening News reported on the economic pressures the town and surrounding Baldwin County were encountering after Rheem, the heating and cooling company that once employed more than 2,000 people shuttered a factory. What had been one of the nation's largest psychiatric hospitals and a youth detention facility have also closed in recent years.

Unemployment sits at 11.1 percent, about one percent above the national average.

But a swath of reporters that crowded Milledgeville earlier this week wasn't the type of economic boost this region was looking for, and a handful of reporters who were in front of Capital City had "Go home!" taunts hurled their direction.

"I certainly hope that people don't get the wrong image of Milledgeville," Blue said. "It's a lovely, very historic town."

ghettoscott
03-15-2010, 03:05 PM
One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

"He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."

This quote is more telling.....

Shawn
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah I don't really see an issue with it. If he was going in there to have consensual relations...he wouldn't want people walking in. It also doesn't support the notion that Ben broke into the bathroom while she was on the toilet. It looks more and more like she went to the bathroom...with a single toilet under her own free will. If she did...well I'm sorry but screaming assault after makes me chuckle a bit. Come on...you and Ben were not going in there to braid hair.

Jom112
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

Well if he was in the bathroom with a tipsy 20 year old, fooling around, and then she fell and hit her head and he thought nothing of it at all, that is even more telling...

ghettoscott
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM

Well if he was in the bathroom with a tipsy 20 year old, fooling around, and then she fell and hit her head and he thought nothing of it at all, that is even more telling...

depends on what "hit her head" means....if she fell down and cracked her skull then yeah, but it could also mean she slipped and hit her head stood back up and laughed it off. If Ben had no idea why the cops were there it leads me to believe she was okay....

snarky
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM

depends on what "hit her head" means....if she fell down and cracked her skull then yeah, but it could also mean she slipped and hit her head stood back up and laughed it off. If Ben had no idea why the cops were there it leads me to believe she was okay....

Here is the thing though, this is going to come down to what a person can testify to in court. You can't testify about another person's state of mind. For instance, you can't say something like "he looked guilty" but you can say "my impression based on his behavior is that he was concerned". On the other hand, one can testify that they saw two men standing outside the bathroom door and that those two men were part of Ben's group that night.

This is really stacking up badly for Ben. Consider the things that people seem ready to testify to:

1. He purchased shots for underage women.
2. He used coarse and derogatory language towards these women
3. He followed her into a bathroom and had people from his group guard the door
4. While in the bathroom he committed some sort of sexual assaut
5. While in the bathroom she suffered a head injury

Now the meat of the matter is number 4 and possibly number 5 is there is disptue regarding how she was injured. But in a he-said, she-said case I would imagine a lot depends on how much a jury 'likes' or is comfortable with the accused. 1-3 are not going to help.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Jom...Did she bleed out? I wouldn't think twice about a tipsy woman who bumped her head...if she wasn't bleeding, didn't pass out and didn't have any vision/motor issues.

JAR
03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, this makes it look like whatever went on was consensual. The bodyguards sure didn't throw her into the room with Ben and then block the door so she couldn't get out.

Jom112
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Fair enough. It does depend a lot on how serious the injury is. I am assuming a bit here, just because she went to the hospital and got taken care of there before she filed the report.

So while Ben might not have done anything wrong, if cops were coming to talk to me, I would have "some" idea about what it was about. But I shouldn't assume, if she just laughed it off after it initially occurred, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it either...

Shawn
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, this makes it look like whatever went on was consensual. The bodyguards sure didn't throw her into the room with Ben and then block the door so she couldn't get out.

I was thinking that as well. Were the body guards in on it? Did they help him drag her by the hair into the bathroom. Did they hear screams and ignore it? Sounds consensual and it sounds like they wanted some privacy. I don't see the issue with it personally. Obviously it was bone headed but it certainly doesn't mean it was criminal.

JAR
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Here is the thing though, this is going to come down to what a person can testify to in court. You can't testify about another person's state of mind. For instance, you can't say something like "he looked guilty" but you can say "my impression based on his behavior is that he was concerned". On the other hand, one can testify that they saw two men standing outside the bathroom door and that those two men were part of Ben's group that night.

This is really stacking up badly for Ben. Consider the things that people seem ready to testify to:

1. He purchased shots for underage women.
2. He used coarse and derogatory language towards these women
3. He followed her into a bathroom and had people from his group guard the door
4. While in the bathroom he committed some sort of sexual assaut
5. While in the bathroom she suffered a head injury

Now the meat of the matter is number 4 and possibly number 5 is there is disptue regarding how she was injured. But in a he-said, she-said case I would imagine a lot depends on how much a jury 'likes' or is comfortable with the accuser. 1-3 are not going to help.

1 through 5 all hearsay.

snarky
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
How are they hearsay, exactly?

Based on various news articles, it seems there are people prepared to give first hand testimony on each of those points.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Based on various news articles, it seems there are people prepared to give first hand testimony on each of those points.

Hearsay might have been a poor choice of words but circumstantial fits better.

snarky
03-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Agreed, they are circumstantial. But there is a reason circumstantial evidence is allowed in during a trial. Juries can and do use it to convict. Scott Peterson sits on death row and the entire case against him was circumstantial.

Look, I'm not trying to convict Ben. But I think it's starting to look bad for him if this goes to a trial because all this stuff about buying shots and calling these women bitches is really going to make him unlikable to a jury.

EDIT: And number 4 is not circumstantial (5 might not be either). If she delivers credible testimony on these points, it would not be circumstantial.

JAR
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Hearsay might have been a poor choice of words but circumstantial fits better.

Thanks, that's more what I meant.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Agreed, they are circumstantial. But there is a reason circumstantial evidence is allowed in during a trial. Juries can and do use it to convict. Scott Peterson sits on death row and the entire case against him was circumstantial.

Look, I'm not trying to convict Ben. But I think it's starting to look bad for him if this goes to a trial because all this stuff about buying shots and calling these women bitches is really going to make him unlikable to a jury.

EDIT: And number 4 is not circumstantial (5 might not be either). If she delivers credible testimony on these points, it would not be circumstantial.

I don't see a jury in the world convicting on Ben yelling out a few remarks in celebration (rude or not) and a bump on a girls head. To convict with circumstantial evidence means you need to convince beyond a reasonable doubt...then you need to convince all 12 jurers. I'm not sure we have convinced even the most cynical of us that he is guilty with the current evidence.

With that said, this needs to go away and fast for Ben. He needs to swallow his pride...pull out his wallet and get back to playing football. And maybe learn a lil sumthin sumthin this time around.

snarky
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM

I don't see a jury in the world convicting on Ben yelling out a few remarks in celebration (rude or not) and a bump on a girls head. To convict with circumstantial evidence means you need to convince beyond a reasonable doubt...then you need to convince all 12 jurers. I'm not sure we have convinced even the most cynical of us that he is guilty with the current evidence.

With that said, this needs to go away and fast for Ben. He needs to swallow his pride...pull out his wallet and get back to playing football. And maybe learn a lil sumthin sumthin this time around.

Are you expecting she won't testify? If she testifies, then that is not circumstantial, that would be direct testimony of criminal activity. That's not circumstantial. But all the circumstantial stuff could bolster her version of events.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Are you expecting she won't testify? If she testifies, then that is not circumstantial, that would be direct testimony of criminal activity. That's not circumstantial. But all the circumstantial stuff could bolster her version of events.

One testimony with possible monetary motivation even with a bump on the head is not enough to convict. If it were Ben would be arrested. I think she would have helped her case more by not obtaining an ambulance chaser right after the event. You have to understand as well that she will have to explain why she was in the BR in the first place.

BlackJackGold
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Just because ben told the bodyguards to stand watch at the door does not mean that his entrance to the bathroom for any purpose was consensual.

It only means that he most likely told them "Watch the bathroom door."

It does not mean that they had any knowledge of anything other than their order from their employer to do so.

It would not be surprising to see the GBI squeeze these guys with charges of being accessories and accomplices in order to get them to roll on ben.

Furthermore, any testimony from paid employees of ben in favor of his case is going to be viewed with skepticism in both an investigation and a trial by jury.

They have great compelling reason to lie.

One thing is certainly clear, in an extremely selfish and egomaniacal way ben has put everyone who was with him that night in jeopardy.

snarky
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
One testimony with possible monetary motivation even with a bump on the head is not enough to convict. If it were Ben would be arrested. I think she would have helped her case more by not obtaining an ambulance chaser right after the event. You have to understand as well that she will have to explain why she was in the BR in the first place.

I would be surprised if this went to trial and Ben's attorney brought up the potential of the alleged victim filing a civil suit because that would risk making the McNulty case admissible as a prior allegation.

And as for her explaining why she went to the bathroom in the first place. I would say a number of things are possible:

1. She was going to actually use the facility and he followed her in against her will or without her knowledge.
2. She thought they were just going to make out and grope but that he forced himself on her beyond that.
3. She went to the bathroom expecting they would have sex but changed her mind and said she wanted to leave and he forced herself on her.
4. She is making this all up

Now of course, she is not going to testify to number 4 but there are 3 things that could reasonably be true which would not exclude Ben committing a crime.

And what BJG says makes sense to me -- the guys outside the door are going to be key. Although I doubt they would be expected to have heard anything since this is a night club. But if, for example, she was crying when she came out of the room then this gets very bad.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM

I would be surprised if this went to trial and Ben's attorney brought up the potential of the alleged victim filing a civil suit because that would risk making the McNulty case admissible as a prior allegation.

And as for her explaining why she went to the bathroom in the first place. I would say a number of things are possible:

1. She was going to actually use the facility and he followed her in against her will or without her knowledge.
2. She thought they were just going to make out and grope but that he forced himself on her beyond that.
3. She went to the bathroom expecting they would have sex but changed her mind and said she wanted to leave and he forced herself on her.
4. She is making this all up

Now of course, she is not going to testify to number 4 but there are 3 things that could reasonably be true which would not exclude Ben committing a crime.

And what BJG says makes sense to me -- the guys outside the door are going to be key. Although I doubt they would be expected to have heard anything since this is a night club. But if, for example, she was crying when she came out of the room then this gets very bad.

They certainly don't exclude him from a crime but they certainly don't convict him as well. It would certainly take a mountain of circumstantial evidence along with her testimony to convict. I agree though...the way she exited would definitely help or hurt Ben. If a woman was assaulted and she showed no signs of distress...it looks good for Ben. If she was crying...from the bump to the head...even a rude comment he is in a world of hurt. Bump to the head, crying, testimony, rude comments...yeah that might be enough to convict. So, I agree the way the body guards testify could be key.

papillon
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I wonder what time of the evening the bodyguards were watching the door? this will be a key piece of information. From what I've heard the woman reported the sexual assault at 2:30AM. If the bodyguards are watching the door at 1:00AM or earlier then why didn't she report the sexual assault long before 2:30AM? If they were guarding the door any later than 1:00AM then it's more circumstantial evidence against Ben. If they're guarding the door earlier in the evening and Ben and the woman have their fling and then go back to the party and she doesn't say anything then it will be difficult to give this much credence.

If you're devastated by something Ben did then you would want to get the police involved immediately not at 2:30 after the sex and more partying.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I wonder what time of the evening the bodyguards were watching the door? this will be a key piece of information. From what I've heard the woman reported the sexual assault at 2:30AM. If the bodyguards are watching the door at 1:00AM or earlier then why didn't she report the sexual assault long before 2:30AM? If they were guarding the door any later than 1:00AM then it's more circumstantial evidence against Ben. If they're guarding the door earlier in the evening and Ben and the woman have their fling and then go back to the party and she doesn't say anything then it will be difficult to give this much credence.

If you're devastated by something Ben did then you would want to get the police involved immediately not at 2:30 after the sex and more partying.

Pappy

These are very sensible comments, IMO.

I went back and looked at the police report from an earlier thread. It said the crime was committed "between 11:00PM and 2:30 AM". What kind of bizarre BS is that? Meaning, I suppose, that it seems to make her allegations less believable, for the reasons you mention - if it took place close to 11PM, why wait 3+ hrs to report it?

I think (I think) that Ben will get off because some of these inconsistencies will give his lawyer enough potential firepower to threaten to blast her life to smithereens if she doesn't drop charges.

Now, if Ben did do this, that would be a travesty. But if he didn't, it would be the best possible outcome. I think.

papillon
03-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Pappy

These are very sensible comments, IMO.

I went back and looked at the police report from an earlier thread. It said the crime was committed "between 11:00PM and 2:30 AM". What kind of bizarre BS is that? Meaning, I suppose, that it seems to make her allegations less believable, for the reasons you mention - if it took place close to 11PM, why wait 3+ hrs to report it?

I think (I think) that Ben will get off because some of these inconsistencies will give his lawyer enough potential firepower to threaten to blast her life to smithereens if she doesn't drop charges.

Now, if Ben did do this, that would be a travesty. But if he didn't, it would be the best possible outcome. I think.

Yup, if she gives up the hummer (assuming a hummer is the act dujour based on Ben's statement about no sex or something to that effect) between 11:00 and 1:00 and doesn't report it until 2:30 then she was out bragging about getting a protein shake from a two time SB quarterback and wasn't all that devastated. If it happened after that then it all becomes much more plausible.

I'm hoping for the early birthday gift and case closed. Ben still needs to be careful, if, indeed, it went down (no pun intended) this way.

Pappy

BlackJackGold
03-16-2010, 12:27 AM
The original police report on this thing is a farce.

Remember, it was taken by a cop who was star struck with ben earlier in the night, had his photograph taken with ben, and didn't even list ben by name as the primary suspect in the report even though he was identified by the victim.

Obscurring the time of the incident is not surprising in light of all that....

Witness accounts I have read claimed there was an immediate commotion between the victim and some of her friends with one of those friends using a cell pohone to call the police.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-16-2010, 12:51 AM
The original police report on this thing is a farce.

Remember, it was taken by a cop who was star struck with ben earlier in the night, had his photograph taken with ben, and didn't even list ben by name as the primary suspect in the report even though he was identified by the victim.

Obscurring the time of the incident is not surprising in light of all that....

Witness accounts I have read claimed there was an immediate commotion between the victim and some of her friends with one of those friends using a cell pohone to call the police.

I haven't seen that any where, can you fill in some more details?

"...immediate commotion..." - immediately after what?

If they called the police from the club right then and there, I wonder how she got time to go get evaluated at the hospital before giving a statement to the cops. Maybe that statement by a witness wasn't accurate ...

Anyone know where the alleged victim gave her statement to the cops ... on the street (I think I might have read that somewhere)? ... in the club?

Was Ben met by the police while he was still in the club?

Any link to this stuff about the commotion and the cell phone?

Thanks -

BlackJackGold
03-16-2010, 01:21 AM
It's in one of the hundreds of articles I read online....

To back slog through all those articles would take the better part of a day.

I'm not doing it.

If I remember right, it was up Friday night or Saturday AM...

The witness quoted was a male.

It was a pretty short paragraph at the end of a longer article.

He basically said that toward the end of the night the victim emerged from the VIP area with a few of her friends and there was a bit of a commotion that concluded with one of the friends using her cell to call the police.

BlackJackGold
03-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Here's another problem with that police report...

It claims somewhere between 11:00pm -2:00 am, yet all the stories concure that the place where this happened was the last to be visited by ben late that night.

feltdizz
03-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Unless the chick was seen partying and dancing after the assault it doesn't matter if it was an hour or a day later when she reported the assault. She will simply say she was scared, in shock, etc...

papillon
03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Unless the chick was seen partying and dancing after the assault it doesn't matter if it was an hour or a day later when she reported the assault. She will simply say she was scared, in shock, etc...

And, conveniently filed the charges right after last call... :P

Pappy

JAR
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
and why does the police report list Ben's exact roster measurements? 6'5 241lbs.

ghettoscott
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
He basically said that toward the end of the night the victim emerged from the VIP area with a few of her friends and there was a bit of a commotion that concluded with one of the friends using her cell to call the police.

I have read every article i can get my hands on since this nonsense started. I havent heard this scenario once.

JAR
03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

I have read every article i can get my hands on since this nonsense started. I havent heard this scenario once.

Me either. Maybe it's another Steigerwald fallacy.

feltdizz
03-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Pappy

There is a rumor that the victim urinated on herself while in the act.... I know, it's nasty and sounds crazy but drunk chicks have been known to do this...

if true, this could be where she got the bump from... natural reaction would be to toss a pizzy girl off you.

For those who think a girl can't pee on herself I present Fregie Ferg.

http://cityrag.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/19/fergie_pees_herself.jpg

snarky
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
"There was a little commotion going on. One of the girls got really excited and evidently called the police and the police came," Martino said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35783318/

ghettoscott
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
"There was a little commotion going on. One of the girls got really excited and evidently called the police and the police came," Martino said.

link didnt work, thanks though. I had not heard this.....i wonder what "little commotion" means...

papillon
03-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Me either. Maybe it's another Steigerwald [Phallacy]fallacy.

Tidied that up a bit for you... :P :tt2

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Pappy

There is a rumor that the victim urinated on herself while in the act.... I know, it's nasty and sounds crazy but drunk chicks have been known to do this...

if true, this could be where she got the bump from... natural reaction would be to toss a pizzy girl off you.

Got a link to this one?

feltdizz
03-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Pappy

Got a link to this one?

I do, but the site is so pathetic I'm not going to admit I went there to read it. It's celebrity and hip hop gossip.. spelled his name wrong and said it gave a new meaning to the term Black & Gold.

That is why I said rumor.

BlackJackGold
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM

That's the article I was talking about earlier.

Good find.

JAR
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Me either. Maybe it's another Steigerwald [Phallacy]fallacy.

Tidied that up a bit for you... :P :tt2

Pappy

Thanks Pap. :lol: