PDA

View Full Version : Report is Larry Foote for 3 Million per - I don't think so!

steelblood
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... est-Foote- (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d15-Pittsburgh-Steelers-freeagency-digest-Foote-)

3 Million? That is more than he was due in 2009 when we cut him! There is no way we are bringing him back for a raise. I'd be shocked. I'm hoping for a 2 year 3 or 3.5 million dollar deal. Actually, I'm hoping they don't bring him back and draft an ILB that is good against the pass.

calmkiller
03-15-2010, 11:12 AM
He was due 2.885 million when he was cut. So its about the same money.

phillyesq
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I remember reading that Foote was seeking Scott Fujita money, or something in this ballpark. I assumed if he was coming to the Steelers, it would be for less money after AZ passed.

I like Foote, but not at this salary. That is a lot of money tied up for depth. Farrior is due 2.85 million in base salary (3.85 cap hit if there was a cap), Timmons has a low base at $550k (Cap hit $2.45 million), and Fox has a salary of $800k (cap hit of $900k).

BURGH86STEEL
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
If they can fit him under "their" capp I don't see the problem. It is not like it is our money to spend. He is a better alternative then Fox or most rookies if one of the starters misses some games. At least they have some depth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
If Foote signs for 3 mil a year...There is more going on behind closed doors than we know. Perhaps Farrior is ready to hang it up....Or he better be taking a pay cut!

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
It is interesting that the examiner link posted above has been taken down, but the deal is being reported by PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/steelers-wrap-up-deal-for-foote/

Steelers wrap up deal for Foote
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 15, 2010 11:30 AM ET

One year after leaving the Steelers because he didn't want to be a backup, Larry Foote is back in black and gold. As a backup.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports Foote, 30, agreed to a three-year, $9.3 million contract. That includes a $1.8 million signing bonus. The Redskins and Cardinals also showed interest in Foote, but he clearly wasn't offered starter's money elsewhere.

Foote should be a backup at inside linebacker and provide the Steelers flexibility should they ever need to move Lawrence Timmons to the outside because of injury.

ANPSTEEL
03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
It is interesting that the examiner link posted above has been taken down, but the deal is being reported by PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/steelers-wrap-up-deal-for-foote/

Steelers wrap up deal for Foote
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 15, 2010 11:30 AM ET

One year after leaving the Steelers because he didn't want to be a backup, Larry Foote is back in black and gold. As a backup.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports Foote, 30, agreed to a three-year, $9.3 million contract. That includes a $1.8 million signing bonus. The Redskins and Cardinals also showed interest in Foote, but he clearly wasn't offered starter's money elsewhere.

Foote should be a backup at inside linebacker and provide the Steelers flexibility should they ever need to move Lawrence Timmons to the outside because of injury.

This is very perplexing to me-

actually, a lot of the things that are happening are perplexing.

NW Steeler
03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
If Foote signs for 3 mil a year...There is more going on behind closed doors than we know. Perhaps Farrior is ready to hang it up....Or he better be taking a pay cut!

Yeah, I agree. They are signing Foote for $3+ mil per season to be a backup? That seems like crazy money to me. Is Farrior getting released? Something has to be going on here other than what we know to this point.

Shawn
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM

I agree with you...something doesn't smell right here. That is starter money. So, you must question why. Maybe Farrior is done...that is certainly possible. Or maybe Farrior just isn't starter worthy anymore in the eyes of the Steelers (which I agree). Obviously, they can't think as much of Fox as I do. But, for that money they are looking at bringing Foote on as a starter...not depth. I don't think that will change the draft all that much however. Bringing a rookie on and allowing him to develop for a season or two would be optimal.

Oviedo
03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2fotommf]If Foote signs for 3 mil a year...There is more going on behind closed doors than we know. Perhaps Farrior is ready to hang it up....Or he better be taking a pay cut!

Yeah, I agree. They are signing Foote for $3+ mil per season to be a backup? That seems like crazy money to me. Is Farrior getting released? Something has to be going on here other than what we know to this point.[/quote:2fotommf]

I'm beginning to wonder if Farrior is on his way out. I know that when he signed his contract it was very cap friendly if we decided to release him.

This also could be just taking advanatage of this year with no cap and Foote's contract is structured so that we can dump him with little penalty after the season.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
For this season, the money doesn't matter, because there is no cap. If the cap gets re-instated after this season, and we decide that he isn't worth this money, the only cap hit if we decided to cut him would be the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus (which would be $1.2 million if he were cut after one season, and $600,000 if he were cut after two seasons).

If you look at it that way, it is not all that risky of a signing to provide us with some immediate depth inside, especially when you consider that he already knows that system like the back of his hand, and should be more willing to accept his role as a backup now after his experience last year.

NW Steeler
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Cutting Farrior and replacing him with Foote makes little sense to me. I guess essentially Timmons would replace Farrior and Foote would take Timmons spot, but I don't know.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Cutting Farrior and replacing him with Foote makes little sense to me. I guess essentially Timmons would replace Farrior and Foote would take Timmons spot, but I don't know.

Farrior played like a back-up from mid season on. I would speculate he was only on the field because of his ability to run the defense. The game is moving faster than he is...It is not his fault...It happens.

Lebsteel
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
That is what I was thinking. Unless, Farrior stays on as a backup and then we'd have Fox and Farrior as backups and Foote and Timmons as starters. If that would be the case, I can't see us taking a Rd. 1 ILB like McClain or Spoon. Maybe Farrior retires or is cut and our Rd. 1 pick is an ILB and he is a backup for one year?

steelblood
03-15-2010, 12:24 PM
It makes no sense. He wasn't worth 2.85 mil last year, but he is worth over 3 mil now? He wasn't killing it last season in Detroit.

This is simply mismanagement of resources. We are filling our roster with depth players instead of going after one or two guys that could really help. Why wouldn't we have made a good run at Bodden (the money for El, Foote, and Battle would have been better spent).

Or, maybe we should be saving our future cap dollars in case it comes back so we could be a player in FA next season or after.

Slapstick
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
The Steelers needed to structure Foote's contract in such a way that:

1) He wants to come to the Steelers

2) In the event that Farrior retires, Foote can step back into a starting position and not be grossly underpaid

3) If Foote doesn't work out, he can be cut for a relatively small hit to any future salary cap

If Foote doesn't play, he won't earn the money...with Farrior still playing well and Timmons on the rise, Foote wouldn't have played...given Farrior's decline at the end of last season, I'd give Foote a 50/50 shot at earning that paycheck...