PDA

View Full Version : Ramblin Jim's Mock Draft 2.0

ramblinjim
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Alright, I'm trying to kill some time before I start working. Again, I'm assuming all of our current players are exonerated.

1.) Taylor Mays, USC. At 6'3, 230 pounds the Steelers take this freak of an athlete, put him behind James Harrison for a couple of years and watch him quickly develop into an excellent outside linebacker. A year or two behind Jimmy Hate and this young man will be an absolute beast coming off the edge and will be fast enough to cover anyone out of the backfield or any tight end in the league.

2.) Chris Cook, VA - Corner. At 6'2", 212 pounds and sub 4.5 speed, this is Dick Lebeau's kind of Corner.

3.) Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State - ILB. At 6'1, 242 pounds he will be the heir to James Farrior. In 2010 he can learn behind Potsie and Larry Foote.

4.) Eric Olsen, ND - Center. At 6'4" 306 he's a little tall for center but he's a mean nasty kid that will work hard. He also played against excellent competition at ND so he won't be cowed by the behemoth NT's he'll go against in the AFC North.

5a.) Marshall Newhouse, TCU - G. At 6'4" 319 Newhouse can play either guard spot and even slid out to Tackle a few times (as well as at the Combine and Senior Bowl). He will bring the position flexibility that Tomlin likes so much

5b.) Darian Stewart, S. Carolina - SS. Stewart is 5'11", 213 pounds and runs a sub 4.5 40 yard dash. He also had 8 pass breakups in 2009. He can play special teams for a year or so before challenging for some playing time.

5c.) Nate Collins, DT - Virginia. Another Virginia kid, he's a little light for a DT at 297 but perhaps we can put a little meat on his bones. He played NT in VA's 3-4 scheme and has pretty decent stats. He's not the same caliber as Mount Cody or the kid from Tennessee but with Big Snack on the books for another couple of years we have the flexibility to take a late round flyer on a project.

6.) Nolan Carroll, CB - MD. I wanted to see what this kid did at his pro-day and Al Davis may already be planning on taking him in the 3rd round. He's 6ft, 204 pounds, he ran a 4.42 forty yard dash and did 17 reps at 225. Had injury problems in 2009 so I wouldn't take him earlier than the 6th but someone else may.

7a.) Deji Karim, RB - Southern Illinois. We always take a late round flyer on some kid from a small school and since I grew up in Southern Illinois, let's go here. Karim led the 1AA league in rushing last year, and blew it out at Northwestern Universities pro day. He came in at 5'9", 210 pounds and ran a sub 4.4 forty yard dash. He also did 19 reps at 225 so this kid is big, strong and fast.

7b.) Stephen Williams, WR - Toledo. So when we're talking the end of the 7th round, we're talking "who knows". And as much as I put a little bit of work into this I have no idea what is good value in the 7th flippin' round. This kid is 6'5", 210 pounds, has good speed as he was timed at 4.5 in the 40. He had shoulder surgery last year or those measurables alone would probably put him a little higher.

Alright, here we go! I changed this up a little bit and tried to think a little more out of the box.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I've mentioned in the past that I think Mays' best position in the NFL may be OLB instead of safety. But I meant as a weakside OLB in a 4-3 Tampa 2 type of scheme, not as a pass-rushing OLB in a LeBeau 3-4 pressure defense. You convert college DE's into 3-4 rush linebackers...not college safeties.

ramblinjim
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
typically I would agree with you Ruthless, I'm just taking into account Mays' freakish size and strength is all.