PDA

View Full Version : Worst draft pick of the Tomlin era?

SteelTorch
03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
My vote: Bruce Davis.

Guy showed absolutely nothing, and he was a third-rounder. It still irks me to this day that we went for him instead of the O-line - where we should have gone. :nono

Runner-up: Limas Sweed. This guy was a second-rounder! He was supposed to help Ben out, but so far has caused more problems than he solved. But at least he did show some stuff and contribute slightly, which is the only reason why he's not on top of this list. :HeadBanger

Just my :2c . Feel free to share your thoughts.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
you can criticize Tomlin/Colbert for some of the horrible draft picks they have made (and yes, Bruce Davis was a horrible selection) but the draft is a crapshoot.

just look at the Browns today, trading away two former #1 draft choices (Brady Quinn and Kamerion Wembley) in the same day.

yet another reason why :brownssuck

ramblinjim
03-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Bruce Davis was a head scratcher but I would be one of those that thought Limas Sweed was a freakin' steal in the second round. I thought he would be he big receiver Ben wanted.

Chadman
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Looking at it at a slightly different angle, the 'worst' draft pick that Tomlin has made, in Chadman's opinion, was Daniel Sepulveda.

Now, Sep is a good punter, so Chadman isn't questioning the PLAYER, so much as the choice.

Chadman doesn't ever want to see the Streelers TRADE UP, let alone in the 4th ROUND, for a guy that comes on & kicks a ball downfield.

The difference between the distance & hang-time Sep gets over other punters, undrafted punters, is minimal when you consider the investment of several draft picks (traded up) compared to a no-risk UDFA signing.

Poor choice in Round 4- might have cost the Steelers a young DL or OL that could be contributing right now.

Steel Life
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
It's obviously Bruce Davis...aside from the fact he washed out, cost us depth & whined about his time here - the real issue is what we could've had instead...Cliff Avril, Dre Moore, Red Bryant - all of whom could've provided the much needed depth Davis was supposed to.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
It's obviously Bruce Davis...aside from the fact he washed out, cost us depth & whined about his time here - the real issue is what we could've had instead...Cliff Avril, Dre Moore, Red Bryant - all of whom could've provided the much needed depth Davis was supposed to.

i was hoping we would draft OT Anthony Collins from Kansas (Bengals) or OG/OT Carl Nicks from Nebraska (Saints) instead of Bruce Davis.

and then we compounded the error by drafting OT Tony Hills from Texas in the next round (again bypassing Nicks). to this point Hills has shown absolutely nothing...

Shoe
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
hawaiian's got it: it's a crapshoot. 32 teams can point to a Bruce Davis-like blunder at some point in their recent draft history. Davis was a productive collegiate at a major D1, with NFL bloodlines, and available in the 3rd round. It is hard to argue the pick, other than the fact that he DID turn out to be an abject bust. :wink:

If he turned into another Woodley, then no one would've had a problem with it. Bottom line: No one knows.

SidSmythe
03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
BRUCE DAVIS was a head scratcher. Just one of those guys you didn't like from Day 1.

BUT LIMAS SWEED was not. I think everyone here would have taken him w/ that pick

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I'll bet Jom votes for LaMarr Woodley as the worst pick of the Tomlin era (from his perspective).

steelblood
03-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Bruce Davis was a very good pass rusher in college. If you watched him play, you would not say the pick was so bad. Of course, when you look at his body/physical appearance, the pick looks much worse. It was a bad pick obviously, but from his play in college, you'd assume he had potential. This one of those cases where the player never developed and never reached his potential. I think the lesson learned is that a project linebacker better be able to play special teams.

stlrz d
03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
All of them.

:lol:

Leper Friend
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Bruce Davis was a head scratcher but I would be one of those that thought Limas Sweed was a freakin' steal in the second round. I thought he would be he big receiver Ben wanted.
Count me in also. I loved Sweed at the time. Now , mmmm not so much.

Jom112
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I'll bet Jom votes for LaMarr Woodley as the worst pick of the Tomlin era (from his perspective).

Well played. That is easily the worst draft moment of the Marvin Lewis era (I would say any Bengals era but unfortunately we've made worse mistakes).

Woodley went to you guys at #46 then at #47 the Jets took David Harris. Both guys we were looking at. Then at #49 we took Kenny Irons. If only Mike Brown knew that we're allowed to trade up in the draft...

NW Steeler
03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Still waiting for Czar to put in his 2 cents on Timmons.....