PDA

View Full Version : Does it not tick anyone else off...

SteelCrazy
03-13-2010, 10:56 PM
...that Larry Foot will probably end up a Steele again...but he has stated several times that he'd rather be a Cardinal.?

I think he would be an improvement in the middle, but I don't want him here If he thinks like that...No loyalty at all...go to Cardinals punk.

I'm a being too much of a homer here?

birtikidis
03-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I like that we are looking to add quality depth... if Foote is all there is then so be it. but i agree, if he doesn't want to be here... don't be.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
what bothers me more is that we are even considering paying Foote the kind of money he is looking for which is about $ 4-5 million a year.

to be a back-up? that's all i can see him being, i sure hope Foote doesn't become a starter. seems to be he should be getting paid a whole lot less.

let the Steelers West overpay for Foote, i would rather draft a young ILB and groom him to eventually take over for Farrior.

calmkiller
03-14-2010, 01:33 AM
So many people under rate Larry. Can't wait until hes back.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
...that Larry Foot will probably end up a Steele again...but he has stated several times that he'd rather be a Cardinal.?

I think he would be an improvement in the middle, but I don't want him here If he thinks like that...No loyalty at all...go to Cardinals punk.

I'm a being too much of a homer here?

Larry Foote Wants to Play for a Winner Again

by Sean Yuille on Mar 13, 2010

Larry Foote is set to visit the Steelers, his former team, on Monday. Foote visited the Cardinals earlier this week and made it known that he'd specifically like to play for Arizona, and in general he wants to be on a winning team no matter what. Also, Foote would prefer to play in a 3-4 defense again since he is more comfortable in that type of system.

"I'm begging. I want to get back to a winner. I feel more comfortable with a 3-4 (defense). Pittsburgh wants me back but I want to be a Cardinal and hopefully we can get it done. First of all, they're winning. I know 'Whiz'. I know his pedigree, what type of coach he is, the talent they have here. They have a good chance of going back to the Super Bowl."

Considering Foote left Arizona without a deal, it seems like the chances of him returning to the Steelers are pretty good. More than anything, it's pretty obvious he won't be coming back to Detroit at this point. His comments about returning to a winner are a shot at the Lions, though I can understand where he is coming from. Foote had played for a winning franchise in Pittsburgh all of his career, so coming to a team like the Lions had to be tough. On top of that, there's no doubt that Foote feels slighted by the franchise after not receiving a long-term contract offer despite passing up other offers in 2009 to join the team. In that regard, I can see why he is upset.

Regardless of Foote's thoughts on the Lions, it does look like he will get his wish of playing for a winner again, assuming the Steelers extend him an offer. It sounds like he would have accepted an offer from the Cardinals if he got one, but now that he's set to visit Pittsburgh, my prediction is for him to return to that team.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 03:48 AM
So many people under rate Larry. Can't wait until hes back.

i hope you're right, if Larry Foote can help the Steelers to win games i'm all for it. don't you find it ironic though that Tomlin/Colbert's first draft had them drafting Timmons to replace Foote?

Inside linebacker Foote pays visit to Steelers

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 13, 2010

Larry Foote wanted out of Pittsburgh at this time last year.

Now, the chatty inside linebacker might be coming back.

Foote will visit the Steelers on Monday following a one-season stint with the Detroit Lions that didn't go exactly as planned.

The Steelers are looking to add depth at linebacker, and they are certainly familiar with what Foote, who turns 30 in June, can do.

Foote started alongside James Farrior from 2004-08. The 6-foot-1, 239-pounder averaged just more than 81 tackles a season during that span and had 14.5 sacks.

Concerned that the emergence of Lawrence Timmons would minimize his role with the team, one he helped win a pair of Super Bowls, Foote requested his release from the Steelers.

After the Steelers granted Foote his wish, he signed a one-year deal with his hometown Lions. The Detroit native had 99 tackles last season, but the Lions went just 2-14 and are in the midst of a youth movement on defense.

Foote seems more suited for a 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 employed by the Lions.

He already has visited the Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals, teams that, like the Steelers, play a 3-4.

If Foote signs with the Steelers he will be given a physical at the team's South Side facility he could be an eventual replacement for James Farrior.

Farrior is 35 and will be entering his 14th NFL season.

NorthCoast
03-14-2010, 09:10 AM
If I am reading between the lines correctly, I sense the coaching staff must feel Farrior has really dropped off. Why sign Foote for this kind of money when you can use Key Fox who I think is a better player?
I sort of get Foote's attitude. It is a lot like a guy at work that was told he was being let go, only to have it reversed a week before it was to happen. He was happy to have a job, but his respect for the place and his attitude toward the job certainly changed.

steelblood
03-14-2010, 10:10 AM
They'd be nuts to pay him 4-5 mil per. 2.5 per would be the max i'd offer. He's a depth player or 1st-2nd down guy.

SteelCrazy
03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
lol......I was a little drunk last night. I tried reading my Foote rant and it barely made sense....however, I still feel that way about him.

Scarletfire1970
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
So AZ is a winner, but the Steelers aren't? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Curt Warner retire? Who's their QB? Also, he talks about his love for Whiz. What about Lebeau?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
lol......I was a little drunk last night. I tried reading my Foote rant and it barely made sense....however, I still feel that way about him.

Well, Steel, I wasn't drunk last night, and it made perfect sense to me. This morning too. And Scarlett, your comments seem right on, as well.

Unless I'm wrong, those comments seem to be the kind that could cause problems later, either in the locker room, or with management. I wouldn't sign him, good depth guy or not. Where do you draw the line with the next guy if you do?

NorCal-Steeler
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I see him ending up as a saint. Dont they need to replace Fujita. A winning team amd as close to black and gold as he needs to be at this point....

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I think he made his statements about the Cardinals when the Cards were showing interest...and before the Steelers had shown interest in his return.

It's a business...he's trying to get signed and paid.

SteelCrazy
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I think he made his statements about the Cardinals when the Cards were showing interest...and before the Steelers had shown interest in his return.

I would agree with that assessment, but in one of his quotes he acknowledged the Steelers interest, but still stated he would rather be a Cardinal...Although, he knows what the Steelers pay and he thought the Cards would be more generous, which apparently they weren't or not significant enough to sign right away.

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 02:22 PM

I would agree with that assessment, but in one of his quotes he acknowledged the Steelers interest, but still stated he would rather be a Cardinal...Although, he knows what the Steelers pay and he thought the Cards would be more generous, which apparently they weren't or not significant enough to sign right away.

I hadn't seen that. So that changes what I thought was the correct timeline, but it's still a business for these guys. Their interest lies in what gets put in their bank account...ours lies in the color of the uniform.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a shot at you or anything...just participating in the discussion. The only thing that really bugs me is when a guy leaves and takes a parting shot...but I get over that pretty quickly.

BURGH86STEEL
03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Most players are hired mercenaries that will sell their services to the highest bidder.

SteelCrazy
03-14-2010, 03:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":18ksmv9i]I think he made his statements about the Cardinals when the Cards were showing interest...and before the Steelers had shown interest in his return.

I hadn't seen that. So that changes what I thought was the correct timeline, but it's still a business for these guys. Their interest lies in what gets put in their bank account...ours lies in the color of the uniform.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a shot at you or anything...just participating in the discussion. The only thing that really bugs me is when a guy leaves and takes a parting shot...but I get over that pretty quickly.[/quote:18ksmv9i]

I didn't think you were taking a shot and I happen to agree with you.....He is going to the highest bidder that gives him the most playing time.

When he left Arizona without signing I knew they didn't offer him enough money to not talk to us. He probably would like to play here more so then Arizona unless his feelings are still hurt about not being thrown a lot of money in a new contract from us before he left for Detroit.

I just don't like the fact he said what he did then sets up a meeting with us...It would have been in his best interest to keep his mouth shut.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Foote has said that he wants to play for a winner again after playing in Detroit last year.

Foote has said that he wants to return to the 3-4 after playing in the 4-3 last year.

Foote has said that he wants a contract comparable to what the Browns gave Scott Fujita.

We can offer him the first two, but not the third. As Meat Loaf once said, two out of three ain't bad.

Losing franchises have to overpay for marginal linebackers and winning franchises do not(which is why Cleveland offered Fujita a 3 year $14 million deal that New Orleans would not match). If he comes back, it will have to be on our terms, similar to the Antwaan Randle El deal, which was for the same amount of years as Fujita, but at half the price (3 years, $7 million).

birtikidis
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I can't understand what this love affair with fox is all about. I just rewatched the titans game and he didn't look good at all in that game. I focused on him a few times last season since everyone was in love with him then... He's a role player, depth and a second string guy for a reason. he's definetly not better than foote and foote isn't any better then timmons (in fact he's worse).

BURGH86STEEL
03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I can't understand what this love affair with fox is all about. I just rewatched the titans game and he didn't look good at all in that game. I focused on him a few times last season since everyone was in love with him then... He's a role player, depth and a second string guy for a reason. he's definetly not better than foote and foote isn't any better then timmons (in fact he's worse).

Fox, like most backups, is only meant to fill in for a short period of time. Play him and players like Carter over most of a season and they eventually get exposed because of their limitations.

Wolfhound45
03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Not really. It is a business. He is trying to make a business deal. If the Steelers do not see value in him from a business perspective, they will not sign him. My hope is that (as others have said) it is in the 2.5 million range.