PDA

View Full Version : THE Ohio State Pro Day

SteelBucks
03-13-2010, 01:23 AM
The Steelers were in attendance and spoke with a few players. I'm not sure if Gibson would fit in a 3-4 and Russell, while quick, can't catch.....he's a Safety version of Ike Taylor. Here's some notes on both players...........

* After running a disappointing 4.71 forty at the NFL Combine, Thaddeus Gibson came into the Pro Day wanting to significantly improve that number…and he did. His run was followed by “oohs” and “ahs” from the scouts and players alike. His time? A blistering 4.51. Of course, others had him around the 4.56 mark, but that is still a tremendous improvement running on the same type of surface that he ran on at the Combine. He said he heard "real good things" after the combine, and today didn't do anything but help him. Gibson mentioned that the Saints pulled him aside today and talked to him, as did the Steelers. He is set to graduate following spring quarter.

* Anderson Russell ran a 4.41 electronic time in his forty-yard dash. He only dropped one pass during his drills. He spoke to the Steelers, but hasn’t really talked to a team about where they saw him playing.

http://the-ozone.net/football/2010/Wint ... ombine.htm (http://the-ozone.net/football/2010/Winterconditioning/nflcombine.htm)

Shawn
03-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Gibson=Bruce Davis.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Mr. LeBeau attended this Pro Day, I don't know why but I suspect he was there to watch OLB Thaddeus Gibson and S Kurt Coleman more than he was there to check out a WR.

nothing gets past me, I'm just smart that way... :tt2

steelblood
03-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Mr. LeBeau attended this Pro Day, I don't know why but I suspect he was there to watch OLB Thaddeus Gibson and S Kurt Coleman more than he was there to check out a WR.

OSU has 2 3-4 DE prospects too in Worthington and that cat who is better but has been injured for two years, last name is something like Ray (who ran a 4.75 at close to three bills).

Shawn
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I hope Mr. Lebeau stays far far away. Gibson is very athletic but never seems to put it together on the field. There isn't a Buckeye from this squad I want other than Ballard. Ballard is the real deal. He is labeled a blocking TE because he is that good at blocking and the Bucks rarely threw him the ball. OSU rarely throws to the TE and Pryor never could get off his first read. Ballard got lost on this team. I can't count how many times he lost a linebacker and was wide open not to be thrown to. He has sick hands...and pretty good speed. I would suspect he will run a sub 4.8. He is a very good route runner...very disciplined. He is also a good kid. And I doubt he will call 20 y/o "college kids" biatches. ;)

Lebsteel
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I hope Mr. Lebeau stays far far away. Gibson is very athletic but never seems to put it together on the field. There isn't a Buckeye from this squad I want other than Ballard. Ballard is the real deal. He is labeled a blocking TE because he is that good at blocking and the Bucks rarely threw him the ball. OSU rarely throws to the TE and Pryor never could get off his first read. Ballard got lost on this team. I can't count how many times he lost a linebacker and was wide open not to be thrown to. He has sick hands...and pretty good speed. I would suspect he will run a sub 4.8. He is a very good route runner...very disciplined. He is also a good kid. And I doubt he will call 20 y/o "college kids" biatches. ;)

I commend you for being objective about your Bucks. I too think Ballard might be a great late round pick. He'd be much better than Spaeth IMO. It will be interesting to see who our three tight ends are. I like the idea of having McHugh since he also has experience playing FB, but we need a good No. 2 TE that can block and Spaeth is not a good blocker at all.

Jom112
03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Wasn't there a big Steelers contingent at tOSU's Pro Day last year? That didn't result in any tOSU players being drafted by you guys...

SteelBucks
03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Wasn't there a big Steelers contingent at tOSU's Pro Day last year? That didn't result in any tOSU players being drafted by you guys...

From what I heard, they were there to see James Laurinaitis. They were considering him in the 1st but went with Hood.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2010, 04:12 PM

From what I heard, they were there to see James Laurinaitis. They were considering him in the 1st but went with Hood.

Ziggy Hood was a good choice, but James Laurinaitis would have been a great choice.

Shawn
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Ziggy Hood was a good choice, but James Laurinaitis would have been a great choice.

I really liked James and thought he could be elite in the NFL. I liked him better than Hawk coming out of college.

SteelBucks
03-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Laurinaitis came back to OSU for a game during the Rams bye week. He told a reporter that he was a little surprised that the Steelers didn't take him. I guess the Steelers were in contact with his agent during the 1st round because they thought Hood might go earlier. I'm happy with Hood but Laurinaitis would have been a nice replacement for Farrior in a couple of years. He had a good year with the Rams as a rookie.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2010, 10:51 PM

OSU has 2 3-4 DE prospects too in Worthington and that cat who is better but has been injured for two years, last name is something like Ray (who ran a 4.75 at close to three bills).

Somehow three NFL teams got lost on the way to Columbus as only 29 of the league's 32 teams had reps at the Ohio State workout which in most years is a must-see on-campus workout. Of former Buckeyes of note, DE/OLB Thaddeus Gibson reportedly ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds, while SS Kurt Coleman posted a solid 4.55 time and then blitzed a quick 6.75 in the 3-cone drill which would have put him 3rd among safeties at the combine. Coleman added a decent VL of 35 inches. Meanwhile, MLB Austin Spitler timed in the 4.8 range, while 290-pound DE Rob Rose was timed in the 4.90 range. Meanwhile, DE Doug Worthington posted a reasonably athletic 35 VL and a 10-2 in the BJ, but struggled to break the 5.0 mark in the 40.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
The most interesting prospect at the OSU Pro Day wasn't a Buckeye at all. Since he is a Columbus native (well, he was actually born in Ghana, but went to high school in Columbus), IUP's Akwasi Owusu-Ansah worked out at the OSU Pro Day. He could be a consideration in round 3 if we don't take a CB in the first two round. Perhaps he even drops to round 4 since he is scheduled to have surgery to repair a torn labrum this week. He injured the shoulder in his last game against Kutztown, which prevented him from playing in the East-West Shrine game. He delayed having the procedure done, though, so he could work out at the Combine and Pro Day.