PDA

View Full Version : Gay receives $325,607 more for performance-based pay

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
the NFL needs to re-visit their formula for calculating their performance-based pay system...you shouldn't get paid for consistently getting beaten like a drum, should you?

Steelers | Gay receives performance based pay

Fri, 12 Mar 2010

Brad Biggs, of the National Football Post, reports Pittsburgh Steelers CB William Gay received $325,607 via the NFL's performance-based pay system.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
the NFL needs to re-visit their formula for calculating their performance-based pay system...you shouldn't get paid for consistently getting beaten like a drum, should you?

Steelers | Gay receives performance based pay

Fri, 12 Mar 2010

Brad Biggs, of the National Football Post, reports Pittsburgh Steelers CB William Gay received $325,607 via the NFL's performance-based pay system.

so what does that come out to, $1000 for every catch allowed this past season? :wft

SteelCrazy
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Are we sure he received that money?

Seems to me, he should have to pay it...........

skyhawk
03-13-2010, 02:46 AM
Damn, that guy gets a raise for the amount of times he is on the GROUND. Not fair!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Maybe the Steelers need to re-evaluate who they trot out to start at CB 14 our of 16 games so said player can get burnt every game.

As far as I can tell, the HC makes the call on who steps on the field....don't blame Gay for getting exposed when it is the coaches putting him in the position to get exposed game after game.

Same with all the busted draft picks the last 5 years....Limas, Alonzo, Bruce, etc. didn't draft themselves to play for the Steelers. Blame Colbert for crappy evaluation skills on those players.

phillyesq
03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
The performance based pay is based largely on playing time. The theory is that young guys with lower salaries who end up starting should get compensated for their services before their rookie contract is up.

cruzer8
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe the Steelers need to re-evaluate who they trot out to start at CB 14 our of 16 games so said player can get burnt every game.

As far as I can tell, the HC makes the call on who steps on the field....don't blame Gay for getting exposed when it is the coaches putting him in the position to get exposed game after game.

Same with all the busted draft picks the last 5 years....Limas, Alonzo, Bruce, etc. didn't draft themselves to play for the Steelers. Blame Colbert for crappy evaluation skills on those players.

Coordinators make that call.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Sure they do. Who is their boss?

cruzer8
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1xt3yc2n]Maybe the Steelers need to re-evaluate who they trot out to start at CB 14 our of 16 games so said player can get burnt every game.

Sure they do. Who is their boss?[/quote:1xt3yc2n]

If you really think the HC is deciding who plays at each position then there is no point continuing to discuss this.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":r3zgc4qk]Maybe the Steelers need to re-evaluate who they trot out to start at CB 14 our of 16 games so said player can get burnt every game.

Sure they do. Who is their boss?

If you really think the HC is deciding who plays at each position then there is no point continuing to discuss this.[/quote:r3zgc4qk]

Absolutely!

birtikidis
03-13-2010, 02:19 PM
A good head coach lets his coaches coach. He has input on everything but he lets his position coaches and coordinators have personnel decisions.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":pbmi73hx]Maybe the Steelers need to re-evaluate who they trot out to start at CB 14 our of 16 games so said player can get burnt every game.

Sure they do. Who is their boss?[/quote:pbmi73hx]

Art Rooney II? :wink:

stlrz d
03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
A good head coach lets his coaches coach. He has input on everything but he lets his position coaches and coordinators have personnel decisions.

Yup. Even when I played in D-III it was the position coaches who, along with the coordinators, made the call.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM

You guys are insane if you don't think Tomlin gave his clearance for Gay to be put out there at CB week after week with how he was absolutely the most dreadful player on our defense.

birtikidis
03-13-2010, 09:36 PM

You guys are insane if you don't think Tomlin gave his clearance for Gay to be put out there at CB week after week with how he was absolutely the most dreadful player on our defense.
insane? no. a football coach? yes. I've sat in on many coaching clinics and every head coach I've ever talked to said that the coordinators are the ones who make the call. they have input, and it can be forceful input but, it's still their call.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM

i would think that Tomlin would allow an experienced defensive coordinator like we have in Mr. LeBeau to make the decision as to who starts.

was Gay dreadful last season? absolutely.

but who could we have put there that was any better? that's why i strongly believe we need to draft a CB in the first three rounds to challenge for that position, to merely hope that one of the CBs from last year will improve that dramatically is just too much of a risk to take.

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 12:54 AM

insane? no. a football coach? yes. I've sat in on many coaching clinics and every head coach I've ever talked to said that the coordinators are the ones who make the call. they have input, and it can be forceful input but, it's still their call.

Correct.

One thing I've noticed about this place...it's always easy to tell who's never played beyond peewee or flag football.

Like I said, even in D-III we had position coaches who decided, along with the coordinators, the depth chart.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
[quote=birtikidis]A good head coach lets his coaches coach. He has input on everything but he lets his position coaches and coordinators have personnel decisions.

Correct.

One thing I've noticed about this place...it's always easy to tell who's never played beyond peewee or flag football.

Like I said, even in D-III we had position coaches who decided, along with the coordinators, the depth chart.[/quote:2ivw0ysr]

One thing I have noticed about this place is there are a bunch of 'smarter than you' know it alls that think because they played division 3 football they are on top of how things are done in the NFL.

I played through high school and our HC was in charge of who played where. The coordinators came up with the gameplan. I was moved from LB to CB and from WR to RB by our HC my junior year. Not the coordinators.

Was it Bruce Arians call that Mendenhall sat the pine in the one game this past year due to not being prepared? Tomlin makes certain calls dependent on certain game situations like if Mendenhall stays in on 3rd down or if Moore is the guy. Calls dependent on game situations are absolutely part of the HC gig and getting thrown all over and looking like a boy amongst men, like Gay did some this past season, are absolutely on him.

I don't think a former secondary coach and defensive coordinator stops giving his input simply because he puts the HC hat on. The HC has to put his seal of approval on everything from the gameplan to sticking with a young player even though they may be getting lit up.

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3jrk6j3h][quote=birtikidis]A good head coach lets his coaches coach. He has input on everything but he lets his position coaches and coordinators have personnel decisions.

Correct.

Like I said, even in D-III we had position coaches who decided, along with the coordinators, the depth chart.[/quote:3jrk6j3h]

One thing I have noticed about this place is there are a bunch of 'smarter than you' know it alls that think because they played division 3 football they are on top of how things are done in the NFL.

I played through high school and our HC was in charge of who played where. The coordinators came up with the gameplan. I was moved from LB to CB and from WR to RB by our HC my junior year. Not the coordinators.

Was it Bruce Arians call that Mendenhall sat the pine in the one game this past year due to not being prepared? Tomlin makes certain calls dependent on certain game situations like if Mendenhall stays in on 3rd down or if Moore is the guy. Calls dependent on game situations are absolutely part of the HC gig and getting thrown all over and looking like a boy amongst men, like Gay did some this past season, are absolutely on him.

I don't think a former secondary coach and defensive coordinator stops giving his input simply because he puts the HC hat on. The HC has to put his seal of approval on everything from the gameplan to sticking with a young player even though they may be getting lit up.[/quote:3jrk6j3h]

Nobody said he doesn't give input dude. But he's not the guy making the decision who starts at each and every position.

Head coaches trust their position coaches and coordinators to make the call. If the HC disagrees with the call they make then they do something about it.

Sorry if you don't want to accept that, but that's how it works. The HC (especially on the NFL level) has way too many other things to be concerned with. It's simply not possible for them to evaluate each and every player and decide who goes were on the depth chart.

The point about D-III is that even on that level it works that way. Same for big HS programs that have position coaches. They, along with the coordinators, make the call.

NKySteeler
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
"Gay receives performance-based pay" ........

Absolutely incredible, and absolutely an injustice....

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM

i would think that Tomlin would allow an experienced defensive coordinator like we have in Mr. LeBeau to make the decision as to who starts.

but who could we have put there that was any better? that's why i strongly believe we need to draft a CB in the first three rounds to challenge for that position, to merely hope that one of the CBs from last year will improve that dramatically is just too much of a risk to take.

Hey! That's SAINT LeBeau. Get it right next time. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 04:31 PM

got it, Saint LeBeau does have a good ring to it...

just don't call him by his first name because that is a very, very bad word! :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
[quote=birtikidis][quote="Mister Pittsburgh

Correct.

Like I said, even in D-III we had position coaches who decided, along with the coordinators, the depth chart.[/quote:28sms55e]

I don't think a former secondary coach and defensive coordinator stops giving his input simply because he puts the HC hat on. The HC has to put his seal of approval on everything from the gameplan to sticking with a young player even though they may be getting lit up.[/quote:28sms55e]

Nobody said he doesn't give input dude. But he's not the guy making the decision who starts at each and every position.

Head coaches trust their position coaches and coordinators to make the call. If the HC disagrees with the call they make then they do something about it.

This is precisely what I have been saying! If Tomlin didn't like starting Gay each week, it is on him. He could tell Lebeau to replace him. That is all I have been saying. If a player is on the field and doing a crappy job it is on the HC because he can override the coordinator. So ultimately, William Gay being on the field sucking it up can be placed on Tomlin, nobody else.

birtikidis
03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":28dsue5d][quote=birtikidis][quote="Mister Pittsburgh

Correct.

Like I said, even in D-III we had position coaches who decided, along with the coordinators, the depth chart.[/quote:28dsue5d]

I don't think a former secondary coach and defensive coordinator stops giving his input simply because he puts the HC hat on. The HC has to put his seal of approval on everything from the gameplan to sticking with a young player even though they may be getting lit up.[/quote:28dsue5d]

Head coaches trust their position coaches and coordinators to make the call. If the HC disagrees with the call they make then they do something about it.[/quote:28dsue5d]

This is precisely what I have been saying! If Tomlin didn't like starting Gay each week, it is on him. He could tell Lebeau to replace him. That is all I have been saying. If a player is on the field and doing a crappy job it is on the HC because he can override the coordinator. So ultimately, William Gay being on the field sucking it up can be placed on Tomlin, nobody else.
who would you have replace him anyway? i'm sure tomlin is involved with every aspect of practice but do you think he evaluates every player during every snap? Gay's backup was townsend... and there's a reason that townsend hasn't started for two seasons...

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 08:37 PM

That's not how it came across, so sorry for the misunderstanding.

But as birtikidis stated, who should have replaced Gay anyway?

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Damn, that guy gets a raise for the amount of times he is on the GROUND. Not fair!!!

if only William Gay looked more like this i would like him a lot more and he could be on the ground all he wants...

ramblinjim
03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
"Gay receives performance-based pay" ........

Absolutely incredible, and absolutely an injustice....

Yup, this was my first thought too. Wow.

SteelAbility
03-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Those who don't recognize him as Saint LeBeau, don't know D1ck!

SteelAbility
03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":23xz2353]

That's not how it came across, so sorry for the misunderstanding.

But as birtikidis stated, who should have replaced Gay anyway?[/quote:23xz2353]

I know a couple of grannys that would have been perfectly acceptable substitutes. :P

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM

if only William Gay looked more like this i would like him a lot more and he could be on the ground all he wants...

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/steelers-girl-54.jpg?w=300

NW Steeler
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't blame the coaches at all for Gay sucking on the field. Apparently he was the best option/lesser of two evils. You can blame Colbert for selecting these guys, but it isn't like Gay was a high round draft pick anyway. Point is, he sucks and needs to be replaced.