PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Stats

NorthCoast
03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
How about some discussion on the draft for a change?

Check out some stats on how the Steelers have drafted over the last 15 yrs. The first chart ranks player positions by their frequency picked, which may give some idea of the importance they place on the positions. The second chart is average draft position by player position.

What does this tell us? We are more than twice as likely to pick a DB vs a RB, for example. It also says that, when we are in need, we will select an OT tackle very early, on average. What is pretty interesting is that we place a high priority on WRs, both in frequency of picks and in draft order. And this is data over the last 15 yrs, before we had a pass-first offense.

Chadman
03-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Can we get a graph showing with college conferences get the most selections?

Oviedo
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
We are more than twice as likely to pick a DB vs a RB, for example

That is because you carry twice as many DBs on your roster as RBs. An example of how statistics can be misleading.

Oviedo
03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Can we get a graph showing with college conferences get the most selections?

I posted this about a month ago and can't find it but in the last 10 drafts, I think we took more Big 10 and ACC in Round 1 than any other conferences.

ANPSTEEL
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM

That is because you carry twice as many DBs on your roster as RBs. An example of how statistics can be misleading.

there you go- letting actual facts get in the way, again.

:lol:

Jom112
03-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this news, but it look likes you guys are looking at Zane Beadles:

The University of Utah held a well-planned pro day workout on Monday for 16 pro prospects indoors on FieldTurf.

Representatives from 20 teams evaluated the players, including offensive line coaches from the Ravens, Seahawks and Steelers, and a wide receivers coach and linebackers coach from the Browns.

OL Zane Beadles (6-4 1/8, 307) had 30 repetitions in the bench press and participated in position drills.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/utah-pr ... ay-drills/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/utah-prospects-participate-in-pro-day-drills/)

Iron Shiek
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Not to mention needs change every year. If you charted this for the Bears, QB would probably lead the way in frequency, but they have invested in Cutler now, so they likely wouldn't follow history and pick a qb.

NorthCoast
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I would also add that a position's 'lifespan' would factor in as well.

I posted this only to give a sense of which direction the team might go if we have multiple needs to fill....then again, things change on draft day itself.