PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
personally, i wouldn't give my accuser one red penny if i was innocent, which i do believe Ben is.

and yes, Florio is a scumbag. :Hater

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

by Mike Florio
Wednesday, Mar. 10, 2010

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is under scrutiny over an alleged sexual assault that took place in Milledgeville, Ga.

After former Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was sued by the man who claimed Harrison shot him in Philadelphia nearly two years ago, I gave Harrison some free advice, for which he surely got his money's worth.

Settle the case.

Now that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger faces new sexual assault charges in Georgia, I'll give him some free advice, too.

Settle the case.

During a Monday press conference, authorities in Milledgeville acknowledged that the woman accusing Roethlisberger of sexual assault has hired a lawyer. This means that, at some point, she'll sue the two-time Super Bowl-winning signal-caller.

So the best approach would be for Roethlisberger's lawyers to commence
a dialogue with the alleged victim's lawyer and settle the case -- now. Surely, there's a number north of $100,000 and south of $1 million that she'd take to waive any civil claims and drop her charges. Like Kobe Bryant's accuser nearly seven years ago, nothing takes the steam out of a criminal prosecution faster than a civil settlement.

The settlement needs to happen soon, before a decision is made to charge Roethlisberger with sexual assault. With a completely confidential settlement that entails an agreement to drop the charges, everyone can move on — and Roethslisberger can continue his career without having to deal with a civil trial like the one he faces in Nevada, or a criminal trial that could, in theory, put him in jail.

If or when formal charges are filed, it could be too late to salvage Roethlisberger's reputation, and possibly his career. The league and/or the Steelers would be forced to take some type of action in the wake of an indictment, possibly by suspending Roethlisberger until the case is resolved, just as the NFL did when Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted in 2007 on federal conspiracy charges relating to dogfighting and gambling.

Speaking of Vick, his ordeal would have been much less serious if he'd found a way quickly and cleanly to accept responsibility and move forward. The difference, of course, is Vick couldn't have entered into a civil settlement with his victims; he would have been required to work out a deal with prosecutors regarding potential criminal charges. Roethlisberger has the opportunity to placate his victim with a significant-yet-secret payment of cash, and to avoid any further legal jeopardy.

To be sure, any resolution of the charges, no matter how confidential, would trigger rumors and/or reports that Big Ben wrote a really big check. But the early moves Roethlisberger has made show he's not necessarily worried about good public relations this time around. Hiring the lawyer who represented Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis 10 years ago on murder charges, for example, invited suspicion that Roethslisberger has opted to try to buy his way out of a problem he created. Given the choice between his image and his liberty, Ben wisely is erring on the side of advancing the interests of the latter.

So instead of buying a big-time lawyer, why not buy his way out of the problem more directly? Guilty or innocent, the only way to obtain certainty before charges are filed is to dispense justice via the bank account.

In response to the civil claim of sexual assault made last July in Nevada, a full year after the alleged incident occurred, anger, stridence, and defiance were understandable reactions. In response to criminal charges made on the very evening that the latest incident supposedly happened, Roethlisberger needs to tread more lightly. He faces very real consequences, and instead of fighting tooth and nail, the best approach might be to offer up some dollars and cents.

It could be the only way Roethlisberger can quickly and decisively turn the page on this latest ugly chapter in his life.

Mike Florio writes and edits ProFootballTalk.com and is a regular contributor to Sporting News. Check out PFT for up-to-the minute NFL news.

MeetJoeGreene
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
You never know what will happen with a jury. Especially a small-town, southern jury looking at a case of one of their own vs. a rich yankee.

If I were him, I would settle and be done with it.

He would spend more in legal fees than the settlement anyway.

feltdizz
Look at Kobe... all is forgiven in the sports and media world.

I know people say fight it if you are innocent but Florio has a point. The McNutty case felt like it was over amd done and she was a nut... Now the case is reborn and with the newspapers in such bad shape they will do anything and print anything to sell a paper.

RuthlessBurgher
No way I'd do that. Reputation is way more important than any legal hassles.

Wouldn't writing a big ol' check just be an invitation for more money-grubbing gold diggers to target him in the future?

The part about the lawyers he hired is stupid. He hired them because they are the best lawyers in Georgia, and he has the resources to be able to afford that. Should Ben take a court-appointed public defender instead? Dumb.

SteelAbility
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Wouldn't writing a big ol' check just be an invitation for more money-grubbing gold diggers to target him in the future?

The part about the lawyers he hired is stupid. He hired them because they are the best lawyers in Georgia, and he has the resources to be able to afford that. Should Ben take a court-appointed public defender instead? Dumb.

:Agree Especially if he is innocent.

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Here is my take. If you are innocent, but there are bad facts, you want to settle the case. Suppose, hypothetically, that there was intercourse in the bathroom. If it turns into a he-said-she-said, things could get very tricky.

Juries are incredibly unpredictable. They often reach verdicts based on emotion, and not facts. A southern belle will make a sympathetic plaintiff/criminal complainant. Settlement brings with it cost certainty, and also avoids legal fees. Ben is now paying lawyers in both cases. High profile guys like he has don't come cheaply. In both cases could easily rack up legal bills into the six figures before even going to trial. Trial could easily run $250k, depending on the length.

So while I understand the instinct to defend your innocence to the death, in some cases, pragmatism rules over principle.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

His rep is already shot Ruthless. The first case brought out the gold diggers. There will always be gold diggers.

Why did Bettis' case disappear? Money...

The longer this plays out the longer we hear and see the headlines... If this is open when camp starts forget it. We could sign Bradshaw, Tebow and Swann and no one would care. It will be Ben Ben and Ben in the headlines

SteelAbility
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Here is my take. If you are innocent, but there are bad facts, you want to settle the case. Suppose, hypothetically, that there was intercourse in the bathroom. If it turns into a he-said-she-said, things could get very tricky.

Juries are incredibly unpredictable. They often reach verdicts based on emotion, and not facts. A southern belle will make a sympathetic plaintiff/criminal complainant. Settlement brings with it cost uncertainty, and also avoids legal fees. Ben is now paying lawyers in both cases. High profile guys like he has don't come cheaply. In both cases could easily rack up legal bills into the six figures before even going to trial. Trial could easily run $250k, depending on the length.

So while I understand the instinct to defend your innocence to the death, in some cases, pragmatism rules over principle.

Yeah, but if he takes his chances with a jury and wins he should counter-sue for lifetime indentured servitude. :P

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree that a settlement implies guilt- but I think if Ben lets this play out.

And DNA is taken, it would seem almost certain that charges would be filed.

(any attorneys our law enforcement people- please jump in here to correct.)

My point is- if DNA is taken, I don't know that having the charges dropped is an option anymore- because at that point, I believe, it is in the hands of the local DA.

Once in a trial- who knows how this would go.

Plus- I wouldn't be at all surprised - if charges are filed- Ben will be suspended by the team, possibly the league, until the outcome.

Also, it would seem certain that the accuser has hired an attorney for the possible civil suit to follow- and ostensibly, to negotiate any settlement prior.

Ben is in a no win situation here- barring the absence of actual evidence (dna) and the local legal community deciding to not file charges.

If he knows that an event took place- and fluids were exchanged- he's gonna settle this. IMO.

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM

I agree. Absolutely asinine "analysis" from Florio.

In a high profile case like this, you want somebody who knows how to handle the media. Ben's lawyers have experience with that from representing Ray Lewis. You also want somebody local, especially in the south. Ben could hire a big time attorney from the northeast, or even somebody from da 'burgh, but it won't play well in Georgia.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2010, 02:47 PM

In a high profile case like this, you want somebody who knows how to handle the media. Ben's lawyers have experience with that from representing Ray Lewis. You also want somebody local, especially in the south. Ben could hire a big time attorney from the northeast, or even somebody from da 'burgh, but it won't play well in Georgia.

And the fact that Florio himself is a lawyer makes it all the more puzzling of a comment.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Here are the facts:

1. Ben doesn't have a reputation anymore because even if there are no charges he has two strikes against him in the court of public opinion. Most people outside of the the 'Burgh will view him as a guilty scumbag no matter what he does short of personally capturing Osama bin Laden.
2. This chick and the other one will never admit they lied or are wrong so this will always be out there and it will for sure end up as being seen that "Rich Boy" Ben "bought" his way out of both these cases if he isn't convicted
3. Most fundamantal though is the fact that Ben is a moron who lacks even a basic level of common sense. I have begun to wonder if he couldn't throw a football a mile if he could even hold a normal job. You have to start to think Ben will sooner or later put himself in this situation again. He needs to cut his losses now on these other cases.

Maybe Ambassador Rooney can get a good Irish matchmaker to find Ben a wife who can keep him home during the off season. Ben won't be able to go anywhere now without someone waiting for him to get near a female and hoping to snap a picture of "Little Ben" taking over all his active brain functions. All two or three brain cells that Ben seems to have reserved for functions outside of football.

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
2. This chick and the other one will never admit they lied or are wrong so this will always be out there and it will for sure end up as being seen that "Rich Boy" Ben "bought" his way out of both these cases if he isn't convicted

That is really a best case scenario. We're all assuming that both of the women lied, and I'm certainly hoping that is the case. The uglier possibility is that they aren't lying, or that one of them isn't lying.

The truth is generally somewhere between story told by both parties.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM

And the fact that Florio himself is a lawyer makes it all the more puzzling of a comment.

His "articles" are also always loaded with speculation, assumptions and hearsay.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 03:20 PM
If Ben had any sexual contact with the girl...Settle. For the girls sake...I hope it was consentual and she is nothing more than a gold digger. Because if it was a criminal act he should be punished.

Smarten up and leave those girls be. Burned once...Shame on them. Burned twice...Shame on you. Take your medicine and stop the downward spiral of your career. Payment & Agreement with a gag order on her and put this in the past. Your fault anyway you slice it Ben...Damage control is in your best interest. The educated world knows a settlement doesn't admit guilt in your position. Again, It is in his best interest to put this in the past!

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
If Ben had any sexual contact with the girl...Settle. For the girls sake...I hope it was consentual and she is nothing more than a gold digger. Because if it was a criminal act he should be punished.

Smarten up and leave those girls be. Burned once...Shame on them. Burned twice...Shame on you. Take your medicine and stop the downward spiral of your career. Payment & Agreement with a gag order on her and put this in the past. Your fault anyway you slice it Ben...Damage control is in your best interest. The educated world knows a settlement doesn't admit guilt in your position. Again, It is in his best interest to put this in the past!

hey Nasty,

great mock draft!

i agree with you that if there was any sexual contact that Ben should settle. but if there wasn't and Ben was indeed innocent of any wrongdoing, there is no way in this world that i personally would settle.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 03:44 PM

hey Nasty,

great mock draft!

i agree with you that if there was any sexual contact that Ben should settle. but if there wasn't and Ben was indeed innocent of any wrongdoing, there is no way in this world that i personally would settle.

If nothing at all took place-
... no bodily fluids exchanged
... no video footage of molestation
... no eye witnesses of molestation

Then of course- Ben won't settle.

But, if anything did occur, and the attorneys know about it.
Ben, IMO, has to try to settle.
Better to be presumed guilty than to even risk the chance of actually being found guilty.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM

That is really a best case scenario. We're all assuming that both of the women lied, and I'm certainly hoping that is the case. The uglier possibility is that they aren't lying, or that one of them isn't lying.

I defer to the opinion of the barrister. Seriously though Ben needs to make both of these "go away" quick. As I said, right now he has no reputation and should be more concerned about keeping his career over his reputation.

It's his career that houses and feeds him not his reputation.

Djfan
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM

I defer to the opinion of the barrister. Seriously though Ben needs to make both of these "go away" quick. As I said, right now he has no reputation and should be more concerned about keeping his career over his reputation.

It's his career that houses and feeds him not his reputation.

Agreed. His reputation will begin to heal slowly only after it is over, so get it over now. If it continues only two things can happen:

1) He is found guilty and pays with his career;

2) He is found innocent, but spends a lot of money to get there, has people who still think he is guilty like OJ was, postpones the reputation recovery for another long period of time.

Ray Ray's attorney will know how to best make the transition from pay off to hushing up and moving on happen in the media.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM

hey Nasty,

great mock draft!

Better to be presumed guilty than to even risk the chance of actually being found guilty.

i agree with the point you are making. i just don't see a settlement on the horizon judging from what Ben's attorney has said so far. of course, that type of rhetoric is to be expected at this point, i will choose to believe Ben and his attorney until proven otherwise.

Roethlisberger’s attorney says no sexual assault, Ben "completely innocent"

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. - The high-profile attorney representing Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is disputing a woman’s claim that the two-time Super Bowl winner sexually assaulted her at a Georgia nightclub.

Police are investigating the 20-year-old college student’s claim that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her early Friday. Roethlisberger has not been charged.

In a statement Monday, high-profile Atlanta attorney Ed Garland says there was “no criminal activity” and Roethlisberger is “completely innocent of any crime.” Garland also says no sexual assault occurred.

NW Steeler
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

hey Nasty,

great mock draft!

I agree 100%. If he is completely innocent, it would be pretty hard to settle this just based on principle, and I couldn't blame him for that. . But in the long run it may be better to just settle it and start getting past it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM

hey Nasty,

great mock draft!

Thanks on the mock.

I feel the same way. If he had any sexual contact he needs to settle. If he didn't...Nothing to worry about.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Roethlisberger’s attorney says no sexual assault, Ben "completely innocent"

I'd imagine that is posturing for the court of public opinion, which in this case includes the NFL and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

snarky
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Since when is justice for sale (OK, since forever I guess). If Ben assaulted this woman, he should not be able to just buy her off. Sorry, but I think the DA has a responsibility to the public as much as he has to any supposed victim. If there is enough evidence to merit an indictment then he should be indicted just like anybody else would.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
...Sorry, but I think the DA has a responsibility to the public as much as he has to any supposed victim. If there is enough evidence to merit an indictment then he should be indicted just like anybody else would.

That is why I stated that I think he'd need to reach settlement prior to him submitting DNA evidence. (this of course assumes that there were fluids exchanged.)

snarky
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
...Sorry, but I think the DA has a responsibility to the public as much as he has to any supposed victim. If there is enough evidence to merit an indictment then he should be indicted just like anybody else would.

That is why I stated that I think he'd need to reach settlement prior to him submitting DNA evidence. (this of course assumes that there were fluids exchanged.)

But she has already filed a report and put stuff on the record. Whether he submits to DNA testing or not, there is a standing allegation that he sexually assaulted her and I don't think that should just go away because she gets a check. Criminal laws exist for the protection of the public not for the compensation of victims.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Since when is justice for sale (OK, since forever I guess). If Ben assaulted this woman, he should not be able to just buy her off. Sorry, but I think the DA has a responsibility to the public as much as he has to any supposed victim. If there is enough evidence to merit an indictment then he should be indicted just like anybody else would.

I don't think the topic was with the assumption he did sexually assault her....Then should he pay her to keep her quiet. I addressed it as if he had sexual contact with the girl, given the allegations against him that she claims happened, it would be in his best interest to settle. "Sexual contact" implied means consentual. He put himself in this situation. Even if it was totally consentual sex between 2 adults...She made the accusations against him and she holds the cards given who he is & his past incident. He has alot to loose regardless of his innocence or guilt. He shouldn't have put himself in this situation. He should have learned from the first incident. He needs damage control...Even if he isn't guilty of any crime....Damage is done.

If you look at my post, I agree he should be punished if he is guilty.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM

But she has already filed a report and put stuff on the record. Whether he submits to DNA testing or not, there is a standing allegation that he sexually assaulted her and I don't think that should just go away because she gets a check. Criminal laws exist for the protection of the public not for the compensation of victims.

but- at this stage- if she "changes her mind" about the event, and they have nothing but completely circumstantial evidence. There is no case. DA won't pursue.

just my opinion here-

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM

I think you are missing the point. "The check" isn't to make the crime...If there was one...To just go away. "The check" could be for the protection...You talk about...For Ben Roethlisberger who could be damaged by false allegations that can't be proven otherwise in the court system set up to...."Protect" the criminal. This is a perfect example of how the system works. Everyone immediately tags Ben as the criminal and the girl as the victim. Why???? Because the public...His peers...Have him guilty until proven innocent. It is our wonderful justice system. Without the facts...Ben could be the victim here of a different crime. She could be the criminal. But it is Ben's burden to prove otherwise...Not her's.

If Ben is guilty of a crime...He deserves no special treatment.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Roethlisberger investigation keeps moving

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2010

The details continue to emerge in the Ben Roethlisberger sexual assault case, and in lieu of doing a post every time a new development occurs, we'll simply post an update once per day or two or whenever we think of it.

Our friends at TMZ report that police in Milledgeville have seized security camera footage from the nightclub where the sexual assault allegedly occurred.

Per the report, multiple cameras were placed in several locations throughout the club. Roethlisberger supposedly can be identified in some of the footage.

Meanwhile, TMZ also reports that some comments posted on Facebook and Twitter by the accuser's sorority sisters have been removed, at the direct instruction of the sorority to which the women belong. We'd heard, admittedly second hand, that some of the messages might have actually indicated that Roethlisberger didn't do what he allegedly did.

Finally, the second set of sexual assault allegations has created a critical mass of sorts regarding the perception that Roethlisberger is a jerk. Talk radio in Pittsburgh has been flooded with accounts of boorish behavior by Big Ben, and Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio pointed out during his Tuesday show that there are many in the media who have stories to share about Roethlisberger being a butthole.

"Difficult, ego, likes to be a big fish in a small pond, treats people poorly," Cowherd said of the things he has heard from folks in the business about Ben Roethlisberger. "It's been eye-opening to me. Roethlisberger's made some enemies."

We've heard several of the same stories from media types we trust, making it hard to feel badly about any consequences that such behavior might trigger, regardless of whether a crime technically was or was not committed.

Shawn
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Doesn't really matter...if the DA doesn't have the girl to testify then the case becomes difficult if not impossible to prosecute.