PDA

View Full Version : Is QB now a "Must" in this draft??

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Because of "Ben the Bonehead" does the teams draft strategy change and do we need to be looking at a QB in Rounds 3-5 as an "insurance policy" if Ben gets slapped with a suspension or worse?

I would prefer that we go out and get Byron Leftwich back for the short term, but Ben may not be a long term option likemany of us thought just a year ago.

Current QBs projected to be drafted in the Round 3-5 range (Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... SX/2010_QB (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_QB) ) :

Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan 6-3 230,4.66
Jarrett Brown QB West Virginia 6-3 224, 4.54
Tony Pike QB Cincinnati 6-6 223, 4.92
Jonathan Crompton QB Tennessee 6-3 222, 4.79
Jevan Snead QB Mississippi 6-3 219, 5.02
Zac Robinson QB Oklahoma State 6-3 214, 4.71
Mike Kafka QB Northwestern 6-3 225, 5.02

Personally I am somewhat intrigued by Jevan Snead. In the right system he could be very good. Then again we went over 25 years after Bradshaw before we got another "franchise QB" and we had to do that in Round 1.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Snead? SNEAD???

He stinks. I mean STANY STANK STINKS...

Every game I watched he had 3 or more INT's.

There is nothing good about him. NOTHING!!!

:wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

:tt2

BURGH86STEEL
03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't know if Ben will be found guilt or not. A lot of things might change if he is found guilty.

They will try to add another QB to the roster regardless of what happens with Ben. They will eventually need someone to replace Batch and possibly Dixon.

flippy
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm not big on any of these guys but would consider the following very late or as UDFAs:

John Skelton - Fordham
Rusty Smith - Florida Atlantic
Bill Stull - Pitt

I'd roll with Dennis D. And bring in a vet backup for him if needed. I think all 3 I've listed could develop into NFL calibre QBs in time, but would need work to develop.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not big on any of these guys but would consider the following very late or as UDFAs:

John Skelton - Fordham
Bill Stull - Pitt

I'd roll with Dennis D. And bring in a vet backup for him if needed. I think all 3 I've listed could develop into NFL calibre QBs in time, but would need work to develop.

Bill Stull??? Are you serious??

Dee Dub
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I would say that if there are charges filed........YES! The Steelers should look at drafting a QB. Second round--Colt McCoy or 3rd round Dan LeFevour.

If there are no charges filed....................NO!

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I would say that if there are charges filed........YES! The Steelers should look at drafting a QB. Second round--Colt McCoy or 3rd round Dan LeFevour.

Colt McCoy? Behind this line? He hasn't been seen since the championship game...

No thanks. Texas QB's win a bunch of games but they are fragile minds..LOL!!

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Seems to me the Steelers would have to be scoping out a potential QB addition. Doesn't have to be through the draft, but could be through FA. Don't know about Leftwich, though...isn't he under contract to the Buccaneers? I don't think he's a FA, correct me if I'm wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Seems to me the Steelers would have to be scoping out a potential QB addition. Doesn't have to be through the draft, but could be through FA. Don't know about Leftwich, though...isn't he under contract to the Buccaneers? I don't think he's a FA, correct me if I'm wrong.

He has one year left on his deal at $2 million. But Josh Freeman is now their starter and Josh Johnson is now their backup. They are apparently also high on #3 QB Rudy Carpenter. Why spend $2 million on a vet QB who is not in your future plans if you are a young team in rebuilding mode?

There was a $3.5 million roster bonus that was supposed to be due this past week, but he did not get enough playing time to qualify for it (if they had to pay him a $3.5 million bonus this week, he would have been cut already).

I think he will eventually be let go (possibly after the draft...maybe not until late summer...but he knows enough of our system that he could be brought in late without much of an issue).

steelblood
03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Limas Sweed to the Bucs for Leftwich.

flippy
03-10-2010, 02:28 PM

John Skelton - Fordham
Bill Stull - Pitt

Bill Stull??? Are you serious??

I expected some flack for Stull from most everyone. I figure we've all seen more of him than everyone else. But he plays in a pro system, he's fairly efficient, and has decent arm strength. He's nowhere ready to start, but we could put him on the PS and see if he can develop.

He's really got one full season of college ball under his belt and he got good results overall. In time, I think he can be a real QB. I expect he'll be a UDFA of course.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

That is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!! :Clap :Clap :Clap

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
no, not at all.

Ben is innocent of all charges and will be exonerated.

the accuser will be found guilty of being a witch.

Dee Dub
03-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Colt McCoy? Behind this line? He hasn't been seen since the championship game...

No thanks. Texas QB's win a bunch of games but they are fragile minds..LOL!!

Ok who and at where (round), do you suggest?

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
as was stated...

if charges are filed- absolutely- or bring in leftwhich, possibly chris simms -

But- really- no need other than as insurance / depth.

Dennis Dixon is going to be the man.

Draft CJ spiller- put he, DD, and El in the back field. crazy times. :lol: :lol:

Jom112
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Mike Kafka QB Northwestern 6-3 225, 5.02

Kafka is intriguing. In the right system with a couple of years of development, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes a successful NFL QB...

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
no, not at all.

If her legal team wants Ben's DNA, then Ben's lawyers should counter by requesting that she go on a large scale to determine if she weighs the same as a duck.

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail028.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xbFrx50EjMc/SbqpTOjgNiI/AAAAAAAABg4/RDgVMnUoHBU/s400/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM

That is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!! :Clap :Clap :Clap

Just wait for Ben's scenario to play out and Lefty to get cut?

Sweed still has some value until I hear the story about the mystery condition...

Shawn
03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Dixon isn't Ben but he is ready to start. What about Derek Anderson as a third stringer?

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Dixon isn't Ben but he is ready to start. What about Derek Anderson as a third stringer?

No way!!! That would give Browns fans a reason to laugh at us for once. :brownssuck

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
No to Leftwitch.. no thanks..

I like what he did when he was here but he isn't a full time QB...

SteelCzar76
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Is QB now a "Must" in this draft??

No,... as after Bradford, Clausen, Tebow and possibly Mcckoy,.....this season's QB class is awful.
I'd just see how things play out with this season.

And worst case scenario,.....i'd say that we make whatever moves necessary to position ourselves to Draft Ryan Mallet next April. (This kid is the best that i've seen since Rivers in College)

feltdizz
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM

No,... as after Bradford, Clausen, Tebow and possibly Mcckoy,.....this season's QB class is awful.

And worst case scenario,.....i'd say that we make whatever moves necessary to position ourselves to Draft Ryan Mallet next April. (This kid is the best that i've seen since Rivers in College)

I think all those QB's listed will be awful too... Clausen may have a chance.

Lefevour looks like he may have a shot too..

Steel Life
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM

I'm in agreement with Czar, except for Mallet though. We've got a keeper in Dixon & if they can bring in Leftwich or Anderson to provide a veteran presence then great. If the team decides to bring in Skelton (Fordham) or someone else like Joe Webb, then I'd be cool with that too.

SteelCzar76
03-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Including Mallet Dizz ?? Really,...?

As far as the others i can see your logic. But using my best Arsenio as the old cat in the Barbershop impersonation from Coming to America,..."Whereas Clausen, Tebow, Bradford and MCcoy are "good and Terrible". The rest of them boys from this here class is just,...terrible". :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM

As far as the others i can see your logic. But using my best Arsenio as the old cat in the Barbershop impersonation from Coming to America,..."Whereas Clausen, Tebow, Bradford and MCcoy are "good and Terrible". The rest of them boys from this here class is just,...terrible". :lol:

I believe it was an Eddie Murphy old dude (not the Arsenio old dude) who said the "Good and Terrible" line at the Black Awareness rally, in response to the "That boy is good!" proclamation regarding Randy Watson, who you know as "Joe the Policeman" from the "What's Going Down" episode of "That's My Mama" and of course, the frontman for Sexual Chocolate. I may not know much, but I know me some "Coming to America" :lol:

SteelCzar76
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM

I believe it was an Eddie Murphy old dude (not the Arsenio old dude) who said the "Good and Terrible" line at the Black Awareness rally, in response to the "That boy is good!" proclamation regarding Randy Watson, who you know as "Joe the Policeman" from the "What's Going Down" episode of "That's My Mama" and of course, the frontman for Sexual Chocolate. I may not know much, but I know me some "Coming to America" :lol:

:lol: :lol: Your right Ruthless,....but still when it comes to this year's QB crop,...."Ah man,..that ain't nothing but Ultra perm" :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM

:lol: :lol: Your right Ruthless,....but still when it comes to this year's QB crop,...."Ah man,..that ain't nothing but Ultra perm" :lol:

NFL GM to Sam Bradford at the Combine: "What type of painkillers were you taking after your shoulder injury?"

Bradford: “No chemicals, just fruits and berries.” :P

SteelCzar76
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM

NFL GM to Sam Bradford at the Combine: "What type of painkillers were you taking after your shoulder injury?"

Bradford: “No chemicals, just fruits and berries.” :P

:lol: :lol: :Cheers

papillon
03-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Is Mallet the kid that was at Michigan a few years ago and transferred? If it is, why did he transfer? Due to Rodriguez's offense? Or, just disillusioned with Michigan?

He's very tall if I remember correctly, something like 6'6" or 6'7"

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Is Mallet the kid that was at Michigan a few years ago and transferred? If it is, why did he transfer? Due to Rodriguez's offense? Or, just disillusioned with Michigan?

Pappy

That's the guy! Rich Rodriguez's spread option offensive did not fit a guy who is 6'7" 252 lbs.

steelblood
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I think the Steelers would be wise to offer a 5th or 6th round pick to Tampa for Lefty. That way he'd be here and ready to go instead of waiting and hoping he gets released.

Oviedo
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the Steelers would be wise to offer a 5th or 6th round pick to Tampa for Lefty. That way he'd be here and ready to go instead of waiting and hoping he gets released.

:Agree

aggiebones
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Next season will be a QB draft if Ben gets nailed for something.
If he gets busted now, we throw in the towel for 2010. Lebeau retires with Hines and a few others. We scrap the whole thing and start over.

steelblood
03-13-2010, 09:22 AM
If he gets busted now, we throw in the towel for 2010. Lebeau retires with Hines and a few others. We scrap the whole thing and start over.

Nah. If Troy is healthy and we draft a decent CB, this team can be very competitive with DD and/or Lefty. Besides drafting a QB next season could likely mean throwing in the towel for 2011 as well.

SteelCzar76
03-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Pappy

You are correct Pap he is 6'7,...and as Ruthless said,... he (Mallet) realized that he wasn't going to be a good fit for the "Rodriguez spread", and transferred. He's now at Arkansas,...and if you watched the kid play last year,...he is the TRUTH. And only getting better.

He's intelligent,...can make all the throws,..and he's accurate. It's like he's got Ben's size and measurables,...but with Philip Rivers' passion and competitive drive.

I expect a big year from the kid this upcoming Collegiate season.

msp26505
03-13-2010, 12:25 PM
no, not at all.

If her legal team wants Ben's DNA, then Ben's lawyers should counter by requesting that she go on a large scale to determine if she weighs the same as a duck.

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail028.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xbFrx50EjMc/SbqpTOjgNiI/AAAAAAAABg4/RDgVMnUoHBU/s400/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

I can't believe no one appreciated this.

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

kindlecatsb'ng
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Nah. If Troy is healthy and we draft a decent CB, this team can be very competitive with DD and/or Lefty. Besides drafting a QB next season could likely mean throwing in the towel for 2011 as well.

Now this is starting to sound like the Browns :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

Perhaps people don't want to risk being labeled huge dorks by admitting love for this movie.
This has to be one of the greatest movie scenes of all time.
It has been far too long since I watched this movie.
I did get to see "Spamalot" on Broadway back when Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde-Pierce were in it, though.

What also floats in water?

Bread!
Apples!
Very small rocks!
Cider!
Gravy!
Cherries!
Mud!
Churches!
Lead!
A duck!

So, logically...

If... she... weighs...the same as a duck...she's made of wood.

And therefore?

A witch!